Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Anyone feel like we won't see another Super bowl anytime soon?
(02-14-2022, 02:57 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I don’t want to give in to despair but the odds are against us getting back soon. They’re 12-1 to get back next year and those are the 4th BEST odds in the league.

We’ll see what happens in the offseason and the draft and then I’ll evaluate our chances.

I think those are odds to win the whole thing, not to get there. Maybe our odds to get there are better than 12-1. When it comes down to that 1 game I think I'll still take our team in those chances. We know we have to go against a lot of tough competition, I don't think there's any appreciation in winning it all easily. We took down KC twice, we will have to do those things again and again.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:00 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: It is very possible, I mean, after the Super Bowl  in '89 or whaterver year it was, I never thought it would take another 30+ yrs to get there.. never in my mind.

The teams change, and the dynamics. You may eliminate 1 player that was a very key role and somehow don't think twice, that player may not show up on the field but maybe they have an impact on somebody else in the locker room/practice, when they're gone, the magic goes with it.

The Bengals window is now, there is no "rebuild not complete" stuff the media talks about, they almost won. There is no rebuild they must patch and go now. Maybe their season isn't 21 games long, it's 42. Maybe that 42nd win is the one. That's the key, we can't let this team change much right now other than the obvious.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:05 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I think those are odds to win the whole thing, not to get there. Maybe our odds to get there are better than 12-1. When it comes down to that 1 game I think I'll still take our team in those chances. We know we have to go against a lot of tough competition, I don't think there's any appreciation in winning it all easily. We took down KC twice, we will have to do those things again and again.

One point of fortune we had this year is that we didn't have to face Buffalo AND KC.  Still, we had fortune but we made the most of it, so that's no great shame.  I know the Ravens and Browns aren't bums, but as long as the Steelers don't get Rodgers or Watson or some other insta-reboot, I can see us being like the Patriots where we practically are a lock to make the playoffs because we own our division each year.

It could happen...but as long as we can be that team that is always in the playoffs, we'll get more and more shots at the winning streak it takes to win it all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: If the front office continues on the trajectory it has the last two free agency periods, only with oline help, then I highly doubt this is our last shot. Ya never know, but we're set to continue to build this team, and if they hit on the right personnel, they could contend for the foreseeable future.

This. There is generally a progression that championship teams make...and I think that the KC's and Buffalo's of the world are going to worry about the Bengals for years to come. We made it this far, and our roster wasn't complete. We essentially beat KC and Tenn teams that had a complete roster.

When we do fix our line, we'll be tough to beat.

That said, Burrow is on a rookie contract...and the Bengals management will have to figure out a way to pay him some $40 million a year and field a complete roster around him. That's tough. The Rams had to tear it all down after their last SB Loss getting rid of Gurley and a bunch of guys. So hopefully the Bengals figure it out, but that's 2-3 years off.

And, I feel like our coaches can improve too. Somewhere around the Baltimore game, the defense really clicked. Lou came up with a scheme that I saw some NFL analysts say they never saw before. Then he came up with a way to defend KC and it worked twice. THAT is big.

On offense, I feel like during the regular season, we struggled at times, then they realized they could throw deep and score but it was inconsistent. I feel like the bad line made them hesitant to try things. Get a couple good lineman and bam, we'll win.

Props to the Bengals for starting to sign free agents that are impact guys! I wish it happened years ago and wonder what if for some of those teams, but better late than never. Without that willingness to spend, they wouldn't have made it this far.
Reply/Quote
No.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:27 PM)Trademark Wrote: You need a lot of things to go your way to even make a SB, last night was honestly this teams only chance to win it all Sad

I think that's an oddly pessimistic way of looking at it, I don't think there's any reason to think that. I think of myself as 'realistic optimist' and I see no reason to think that as long as the Bengals focus as much on O line this off season as they have done the Defence the last couple of years, they will be a force to be reckoned with for several years to come.
Reply/Quote
You need a lot of breaks to get to the Superbowl. Injury free year, ball bouncing your way ("fumble" in overtime vs Minny, 1st KC game refs). It looks like we won't be an easy out and should be competitive. But the truth is we all felt good about the future after 89 and......

So when you get there you have to take advantage of the opportunity.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This. There is generally a progression that championship teams make...and I think that the KC's and Buffalo's of the world are going to worry about the Bengals for years to come. We made it this far, and our roster wasn't complete. We essentially beat KC and Tenn teams that had a complete roster.

When we do fix our line, we'll be tough to beat.

That said, Burrow is on a rookie contract...and the Bengals management will have to figure out a way to pay him some $40 million a year and field a complete roster around him. That's tough. The Rams had to tear it all down after their last SB Loss getting rid of Gurley and a bunch of guys. So hopefully the Bengals figure it out, but that's 2-3 years off.

And, I feel like our coaches can improve too. Somewhere around the Baltimore game, the defense really clicked. Lou came up with a scheme that I saw some NFL analysts say they never saw before. Then he came up with a way to defend KC and it worked twice. THAT is big.

On offense, I feel like during the regular season, we struggled at times, then they realized they could throw deep and score but it was inconsistent. I feel like the bad line made them hesitant to try things. Get a couple good lineman and bam, we'll win.

Props to the Bengals for starting to sign free agents that are impact guys! I wish it happened years ago and wonder what if for some of those teams, but better late than never. Without that willingness to spend, they wouldn't have made it this far.

Damn Pistons, good to see you again.

Yessir, I'd have to agree with all of that. I think the oline severely hampered our offense at times. When that gets addressed, we'll probably see some five and seven step drops, and no telling what else. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Damn Pistons, good to see you again.

Yessir, I'd have to agree with all of that. I think the oline severely hampered our offense at times. When that gets addressed, we'll probably see some five and seven step drops, and no telling what else. 

Hi Wyche. Good to see you as well.

In regards to the question about SB's...Basically you need an elite QB with good coaching, then keep fielding a good roster and drafting well. You won't make it far in the playoffs every year, but you maximize your chances for runs to the SB.

Maybe Burrow will make it 2-3 times in his career?

Not going to lie, this loss stings. Last night, it didn't sting, but this morning it bothers me. The Rams were without OBJ, Woods, Higbee. We had a lead late. It felt setup for a Cinderella story...until it wasn't.

I kind of felt like a different playcall here or there...may have swayed things. Sometimes it seems like we are running the ball really well, and we fall in love with the pass.
Reply/Quote
I like our chances to play for a few more.

The playmakers are mostly young. And there's a good chance we resign the guys we need to. Another good off-season and we're stronger than this year.

Plus, coaches learn a lot in those situations.

We aren't in a situation like the Rams where we had a good team and next year were going to lose several to retirement, cap, etc.
Reply/Quote
Not worried. We were a year ahead of schedule this year. NOBODY thought we were making the SB this year. This team will IMPROVE this offseason and will be better the next two years than they were this season.

There is a lot of luck and breaks needed to make the Super Bowl but our team next year and the year after won’t need half as many as this team did to make it. We will bring in a better line, young guys will improve and mature and the continuity becomes a factor with this group next year especially. Chiefs made multiple Super Bowls, patriots won 6…if this FO attacks the offseason again like last year we have a great shot at making it again.

Many of the other teams are in nowhere near as good of shape as us salary cap wise and they need to improve just to match our 2021 team. They will create some cap space with cuts and restructures but they’ll need most of that to just keep their team in tact without any major additions.

This was not supposed to be our year. We should be pumped about the next two seasons especially! Would you really feel better if we lost to KC or Tenn? I wouldn’t have. We were 4 points away from being SB champs with a team that has a glaring O line weakness and plenty of opportunities to improve it this offseason.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:27 PM)Trademark Wrote: You need a lot of things to go your way to even make a SB, last night was honestly this teams only chance to win it all Sad

We might get back there, but unlikely, we had a lot of things go our way at the right time this year all while flying under the radar, and there will be no flying under the radar anymore.
Reply/Quote
I see a lot of GameDay thinking in this thread. We were just in the Super Bowl even though our offensive line stunk worse than a dead skunk rotting in rfaulk's vomit. We will have both of our coordinators back next season. We have a core group of young GREAT players who will only get better with experience. We will most likely due whatever humanly possible to upgrade the offensive line. We beat the top teams in the AFC (except the Bills) to make the Super Bowl and we took the Super Bowl champs to the end of the game and they STILL needed the ref's help to win.

Why the f*** do any of you think we don't have a chance or can't make it back next season? Man the f*** up or just please leave so those of us who believe in this team don't have to put up with your whiny, loser bullshit. Thanks.

EDIT; I posted this after only reading the first page. Less GD thinking in the 2nd page. Clearly, this doesn't apply to everyone in this thread.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: One point of fortune we had this year is that we didn't have to face Buffalo AND KC.  Still, we had fortune but we made the most of it, so that's no great shame.  I know the Ravens and Browns aren't bums, but as long as the Steelers don't get Rodgers or Watson or some other insta-reboot, I can see us being like the Patriots where we practically are a lock to make the playoffs because we own our division each year.

It could happen...but as long as we can be that team that is always in the playoffs, we'll get more and more shots at the winning streak it takes to win it all.

I found that as part of this "lucky" run. We need opponents to run into someone else's wall. We say we can beat anyone, but teams like the Jets can crush us. Or the Browns twice (they are no cakewalk at all though, if they actually knew how to use their talent). We can beat anyone, but anyone can also beat us.

So I attribute that "at least that team took them out" as part of the lucky part of the run where things have to fall our way. That whole playoffs basically everything fell our way almost to the end. But sometimes you can force luck's hand (preparation + opportunity), and we know Burrow is going to be the most prepared he can, we just have to keep giving him opportunities.
Reply/Quote

Burrow looked pissed during media interview.  I think Bengals will draft Z. Johnson and sign Jenson for Center and maybe either trade for RT or draft RT.  I think Bengals will make it back to SB next year.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:00 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: It is very possible, I mean, after the Super Bowl  in '89 or whaterver year it was, I never thought it would take another 30+ yrs to get there.. never in my mind.

My thought exactly. Never expected over three decades after the 1988 season, 1989 Super Bowl. 

And brutal losses like this -- where one play might have been the difference in a victory -- take a lot out of you. We'll see what kind of character the team has. If the have a winner's character -- they will get back.
Reply/Quote
If Burrow's knee is ok we may get the ceiling Joe Burrow next year. He responds to adversity this playoff experience got him nearly 2 full years of experience year 3 is usually the year QB's take off. This SB loss is his floor. Chase no longer needs to shake off rust. Our D is easily top 10 with everyone returning. I'm cautiously optimistic.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:39 PM)Benton Wrote: I like our chances to play for a few more.

The playmakers are mostly young. And there's a good chance we resign the guys we need to. Another good off-season and we're stronger than this year.

Plus, coaches learn a lot in those situations.

We aren't in a situation like the Rams where we had a good team and next year were going to lose several to retirement, cap, etc.

Agreed, and we can learn from the Rams. They got crushed in their first appearance, revealed their fatal flaws, fixed them, returned, won.

(02-14-2022, 04:37 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Burrow looked pissed during media interview.  I think Bengals will draft Z. Johnson and sign Jenson for Center and maybe either trade for RT or draft RT.  I think Bengals will make it back to SB next year.  

He was. He is a GOAT in those conferences, when that dude asked him "HoW DiD ThE RAMs PreSsUrE AffECt YoU?!!?" Burrow replied like 3 times sorry man I just can't hear you.
Reply/Quote

I think the team will get back there within the next 3 years if they address the OL while not letting the defense decline too much.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:45 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: If Burrow's knee is ok we may get the ceiling Joe Burrow next year. He responds to adversity this playoff experience got him nearly 2 full years of experience year 3 is usually the year QB's take off. This SB loss is his floor. Chase no longer needs to shake off rust. Our D is easily top 10 with everyone returning. I'm cautiously optimistic.

I know Burrow is his own dude, but I think we might see some of the jordan, lebron, brady type personality that comes from confidence, in year 3. Where you might see some visible anger, although that's his trait to not be flustered, sometimes other players need to be straightened out - that can only come from your friend/coworker and not the coach. We already see some of this stuff in a positive way in his mic'd up, coaching the OL line up when necessary.

It's obvious from the outside that Burrow is the leader and they're following him, so they will listen if/when he has something to say, and he can use it to the team's advantage. He almost completed the mission as-is this year, but he's still young in the leader of men.
Reply/Quote