Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Anyone starting to get worried about Burrow?
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 12:46 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The window for this group of players surrounding Burrow is likely closing, but we will experience that multiple times.  

The Patriots won with several different units.  No need to be in despair.

The cap space ramifications of Chase and Burrow getting extensions is the huge variable.

It will put a premium on drafting and developing guys. Something this franchise struggles at.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 12:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

That's because there is a massive amount of turnover in the NFL. Look at the Panthers they hired Frank Reich this year he didn't even make it through the season. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 12:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The cap space ramifications of Chase and Burrow getting extensions is the huge variable.

It will put a premium on drafting and developing guys. Something this franchise struggles at.

Where do the bengals rank with drafting and developing guys, compared to rest of the league?

A few years back they had the most, or second most, picks by the drafted team.
Reply/Quote

It's worse for qb's who lost their first SB appearance. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
The window is likely closed for this current group that has some players held over from the window of the last two years. That window closed when Perine, Bell, Bates, Hayden, CJ, Apple, Ogunjobi etc left.

There will be other windows in between Burrow injuries, but its going to take some time to build back up to what we had with the underrated talent/experienced players that we've lost over the last two years.

Reply/Quote

Uhh thats just wrong. Off the top of my head Tom Brady and Joe Montana both won a SB with the same HC after 5 years together 
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 01:05 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Where do the bengals rank with drafting and developing guys, compared to rest of the league?

A few years back they had the most, or second most, picks by the drafted team.

This is a misleading statistic.  What difference does it make if your roster is filled with their own draft picks if the team is ass?  I remember they would put out that stat during the Marvin years to help illustrate how great the team was at developing players like the Patriots and Steelers.  But then I would look down the roster and see the likes of Rey Maualuga and Jermaine Gresham and realize management would rather resign below average players they drafted instead of looking outside the organization for potential upgrades.  

All that being said, it's critical Bengals hit on late draft picks and develop players accordingly.  They also need to take advantage of potential trades.  I'm going to flip shit if they pull the same shit with Higgins as they did with Bates and were stuck with only a 3rd round comp.  
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 01:26 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Uhh thats just wrong. Off the top of my head Tom Brady and Joe Montana both won a SB with the same HC after 5 years together 

And Bradshaw.  But I think it is their 1st SB within 5 years.  If they dont win it within 5 they never have won one.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 01:29 PM)casear2727 Wrote: And Bradshaw.  But I think it is their 1st SB within 5 years.  If they dont win it within 5 they never have won one.

Ok that makes more sense. He should have said their first SB in their first 5 years.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 01:28 PM)Southpaw Frerotte Wrote: This is a misleading statistic.  What difference does it make if your roster is filled with their own draft picks if the team is ass?  I remember they would put out that stat during the Marvin years to help illustrate how great the team was at developing players like the Patriots and Steelers.  But then I would look down the roster and see the likes of Rey Maualuga and Jermaine Gresham and realize management would rather resign below average players they drafted instead of looking outside the organization for potential upgrades.  

All that being said, it's critical Bengals hit on late draft picks and develop players accordingly.  They also need to take advantage of potential trades.  I'm going to flip shit if they pull the same shit with Higgins as they did with Bates and were stuck with only a 3rd round comp.  

CTB, Turner, Hill, Hubbard, Wilson, Pratt, burrow, Chase, Boyd, Higgins, Mixon…
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 01:28 PM)Southpaw Frerotte Wrote: I'm going to flip shit if they pull the same shit with Higgins as they did with Bates and were stuck with only a 3rd round comp.  

It would be totally on brand for our front office to plead surprise when Tee is offered a #1 WR contract from some desperate team like we've pointed out could happen all year.
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure it'll be the same as Bates as I'm not sold Tee will get tagged. They have however already chose a 3rd round comp over a 1st or 2nd round picks that they could have traded him for, so that point is legit.

Reply/Quote
Tee isn't worth what he will be asking good riddance. He doesn't have alot of natural speed. His elite skill is winning 50/50 balls He is often injured. Im comfortable with developing or drafting another number 2 and 3 receiver, WR's today more and more are coming straight out of college and making an immediate impact.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 01:26 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Uhh thats just wrong. Off the top of my head Tom Brady and Joe Montana both won a SB with the same HC after 5 years together 

But, the 1st was within the 1st 5 years. Then, the 2nd+ can come after 5 years.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 02:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: But, the 1st was within the 1st 5 years. Then, the 2nd+ can come after 5 years.

He should have said that then. He said "There has NEVER been a HC and QB combo that won a Super Bowl after their 5th year together."
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 01:36 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: CTB, Turner, Hill, Hubbard, Wilson, Pratt, burrow, Chase, Boyd, Higgins, Mixon…

How many of those players are pro bowl level, or all pro? They’re all good. But you can’t win a SB with 3 blue chip players (Burrow, Chase, Hendrickson) and the rest be above average and then below average players.

*exception to the rule: you have the best QB in the league (Brady, Mahomes).
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 12:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

Guess they’ll just have to win the whole damn thing next year then. What a storyline it would be for Burrow and Chase to win a Super Bowl in New Orleans.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 03:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Guess they’ll just have to win the whole damn thing next year then. What a storyline it would be for Burrow and Chase to win a Super Bowl in New Orleans.

Yes sir. Also agree with Brownshoe that Goodberry shouldn't of said that because it is just plain wrong.

This team will end up breaking a lot of these records though, it just seems to be something they do. This year was just different with 
Burrow's calf injury and everything that went on. We still have a lot of damn good players locked up for years to come and will bring 
back Chase for a long time who has such great chemistry with Burrow. 

Our running game WILL improve once we add a good OL coach and some more players and a good RB. This will help Lou and the 
Defense and Lou will take offense at how bad his Defense has been this year once the season is done.

If we lose out, we will be able to add quite the talent in the Draft and I expect us to be active in FA to get the trenches up to par.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 03:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Guess they’ll just have to win the whole damn thing next year then. What a storyline it would be for Burrow and Chase to win a Super Bowl in New Orleans.

Why not, right? Those types of storylines seem to happen often in the NFL.
Reply/Quote