Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone still think Tee will be our #1?
(05-08-2021, 06:06 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The problem with discussing #1's and #2's and #3's is that everyone has a different definition of what that means.

Do you mean #1 in production?  Do you mean #1 in the type of role (outside deep threat)?

When you're discussing roles (1, 2 and 3) that's entirely changed too.  With teams forgoing the use of a fullback and running 3 WR's, or 2 WR's + 2 TE's, it all gets a little murky.

Remember, at one time TJ was easily considered our #2.  Chris Henry was our #3.  This was largely due to snap counts and the fact TJ started and Henry did not.  He also outproduced Henry.  I think that would be a different conversation nowadays.  At least for some of us.  TJ would be considered a "slot receier" or a #3 because of the underneath work.  And Henry's numbers would balloon due to more playing time (Jeremiah Johnson wouldn't exist now)

To each their own, but because of all of the above I largely avoid this conversations now.  It just ends up being that we're all talking about different things while using the same terms.

But to answer your question from a pure numbers stand point?  I think any of the 3 could lead the team in yards (good problem to have).  And even if one does that's not even necessarily because they're the "best" of the bunch.  A lot of that has to do with the system, playcalling, and how the defense chooses to defend.  So yeah, I think there's a decent change Tee Higgins is our #1 (in production).  And if he's not I still expect him to be close.  I expect all 3 to be relatively close (if Zac uses them correctly).

I was Basically asking if Tee could be the best WR in this team all around. I still think he can and it is a good problem to have...
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 05:00 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: I agree. Tee earned our support last year. He was a major contributor to our offense. Adding Chase is just going to make his game even nastier. Opposing DCs are going to have their hands full when they have face our 3 WRs. But we need to remember what Higgins demonstrated last year. 

I agree on the health thing. Yeah, let's hope Ja'Marr can stay healthy. Our depth at WR is questionable, but we can't forget about Tate. The only way he knows how to get separation is vertically. So, he's limited, but still very useful. 

Watching Tee running routes this Offseason in some film and he looked much quicker in and out of his breaks than last 
season. Improving this and his hands would be huge for him and Burrow and their connection. Auden made some damn 
nice catches last year so I am not going to hate on him like some do, it is just the depth after him that is questionable as
you say here Shady. Good thing we can still fix this, bring in DeDe Westbrook would definitely help if he is healthy.

(05-09-2021, 09:25 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And Burrow is the one to see the open man.  

At LSU, Chase didn't get as many targets as Jefferson, but he got more big plays and yards.  That deep threat would force defenses to adjust and Jefferson would destroy them underneath.  Joe also worked in his TE and his other WRs so teams couldn't key on just one or two weapons.  I can't wait to see how this offense looks in 2021.   If the defense can be solid, this team can surprise a lot of folks.  

Yes and in this scenario it is Boyd that feasts underneath.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 11:33 AM)bengals67 Wrote: whether they are a "top" unit depends on the o line protecting Burrow and establishing a running game.

If Burrow is getting creamed and if Mixon is getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage do not expect elite stats from our WRs in 2021.

Yes, have to open up holes in the run game. Thankfully we brought in players like Carman and Hill to help as it is 
possible that Trey Hill even gets snaps as a rookie. Carman will start at RG most likely and be an instant upgrade in the
running game along with pass blocking cause moving to Guard hides his only weakness, speed rushers.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 04:49 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: It’s gonna go back and forth between all 3

If Tee receives number 1 coverage all year, Jamarr will finish 1

If Jamarr receives number 1 coverage all year, Tee will finish 1

Boyd will have the most catches either way imo

One of the things that many noticed about Burrow at LSU, was his ability to distribute the ball around to all of his weapons.  So while we argue and bicker about who'll be the "#1" receiver, it's also worth noting that Team Stats like Yards gained, Points scored, and most importantly, Wins and Loses, by far supercede any and all individual notes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 03:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: One of the things that many noticed about Burrow at LSU, was his ability to distribute the ball around to all of his weapons.  So while we argue and bicker about who'll be the "#1" receiver, it's also worth noting that Team Stats like Yards gained, Points scored, and most importantly, Wins and Loses, by far supercede any and all individual notes.

Yes and it is far harder for a Defense to defend a Offense if they cannot key in on a certain player or players. Mixon I am 
hoping finally has that breakout year as a pass catcher, with Burrow it is possible as he just throws to the open man...

Regardless of position or number.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 03:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: One of the things that many noticed about Burrow at LSU, was his ability to distribute the ball around to all of his weapons.  So while we argue and bicker about who'll be the "#1" receiver, it's also worth noting that Team Stats like Yards gained, Points scored, and most importantly, Wins and Loses, by far supercede any and all individual notes.

Post of the day! Winning heals a lot of ails.
Reply/Quote

this would be the best scenario... IF he locks in to a goto target then it will be easier to defend.

Wins are what matter.  We have 2 WR's that have already had 1000 yard season and a new talented rookie.. Their should be plenty for all 3 to go around.
Reply/Quote
Let's dream big and hope Chase and Higgins are well over 1,000 yards and 8 to 10 TDs each. Toss in Boyd with another 8oo to 1000 yards and things might be looking good in Bengals land.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 09:51 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: this would be the best scenario... IF he locks in to a goto target then it will be easier to defend.

Wins are what matter.  We have 2 WR's that have already had 1000 yard season and a new talented rookie.. Their should be plenty for all 3 to go around.

Technically Higgins didn’t have a 1k yard season, but it’s pretty safe to say he would have had Burrow not gone down.

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 02:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Watching Tee running routes this Offseason in some film and he looked much quicker in and out of his breaks than last 
season. Improving this and his hands would be huge for him and Burrow and their connection. Auden made some damn 
nice catches last year so I am not going to hate on him like some do, it is just the depth after him that is questionable as
you say here Shady. Good thing we can still fix this, bring in DeDe Westbrook would definitely help if he is healthy.

Yes and in this scenario it is Boyd that feasts underneath.

Yep, but don't sleep on Uzomah.  In less than two complete games he had 8 receptions for 87 yards and a TD.  Boyd through the first two games had 11 receptions and 105 yards.  Bottom line:  Burrow destroys the middle of the field.  
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 10:03 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Technically Higgins didn’t have a 1k yard season, but it’s pretty safe to say he would have had Burrow not gone down.

your right i had thought he hit it...  but yeah he could have had a 1000 i predict he will this season if burrow is healthy.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 08:50 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: You don’t have to think very hard. The Bucs just last year had Antonio Brown, Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. And Rob Gronkowski.

Arias vs Zac.

I bet Burrow dreams of having Arias, the QB friends guy, as his coach.

Usually a team made up of veterans doesnt do too well, but the bucs sure set a new standard when it comes to that.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 10:10 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: your right i had thought he hit it...  but yeah he could have had a 1000 i predict he will this season if burrow is healthy.

Yep, in 2019 everyone notices the 111 catches by Justin Jefferson, but forget that 5 LSU Tigers had at least 46 receptions, and another 4 had double digit reception totals.  Burrow don't care where you lined up to start the play, if he sees you open, you're getting the target.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Has a team ever had (3) 1,000 yd receivers?
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 11:17 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: Has a team ever had (3) 1,000 yd receivers?

With an Extra Game on the schedule all sorts of new records will happen (nfl loves that)
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 10:04 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yep, but don't sleep on Uzomah.  In less than two complete games he had 8 receptions for 87 yards and a TD.  Boyd through the first two games had 11 receptions and 105 yards.  Bottom line:  Burrow destroys the middle of the field.  

Thanks, I guess I have been sleeping on Uzo. Burrow likes him and he could feast underneath with Chase now here.

Taylor doesn't like using the TE's but Burrow says the hell with that, he throws to the open man regardless of position.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 10:23 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Arias vs Zac.

I bet Burrow dreams of having Arias, the QB friends guy, as his coach.

Usually a team made up of veterans doesnt do too well, but the bucs sure set a new standard when it comes to that.

Arians? Yeah.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 01:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Arians? Yeah.

Ok, I didn't say Aliens, give me credit for that one.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 09:19 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Ok, I didn't say Aliens, give me credit for that one.  ThumbsUp

lol
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 11:17 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: Has a team ever had (3) 1,000 yd receivers?

The 2004 Colts did it before it was cool. Harrison, Wayne, and Stokley all had 1,000+ yards and 10+ TDs.
Reply/Quote