Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Luke Fickell....What If?
(12-13-2021, 11:44 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, even if UC can't match the $90-100m deals being handed out, you figure that Big 12 boost and the playoffs boost should at least let them offer 10yr/$70m or something like that. That should be enough to keep him around, what with the reasonable cost of living of the area and Fickell's desire to not move his children all about.

I'm not a UC guy, but I hope they find a way to keep Fickell and have longevity with their success. Agreed, 10yr/70 million is fair. With that kind of earning potential as a college coach, Fickell doesn't seemed destined for any NFL team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm not even sure what UC's Athletic budget is, but it is in no way comparable to the Ohio State's and the Alabama's of the world. Remember, that at one time, UC talked about dropping the football program all together. UC dropped men's soccer last year due to financial shortfalls. Having said this, I'm sure transferring to the Big 12 will bring more revenue in.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 10:59 AM)cincyfan429 Wrote: No pedigree HC will come to Cincinnati. Brown's a horrible owner, and an unlikeable  person, and no top notch coach will deal with that.

Meh.  That's an old take and I don't think it's applicable any more to the organization.  They've shown they'll spend money in free agency, they'll open up to expanding the staff and they've finally starting bringing things around to the 21st century.  The team has a very talented roster (outside of OL which still needs some TLC) and I'd think any coach would be excited for the chance to go and make a name for themselves there.  

I don't think Fickell is the answer, though I'm sure this is a hot local topic.  Everyone loves the hometown story.  We've seen this with players and coaches over and over, where people want to see the rise and success of a local hero.  I just don't think Fickell is the guy to make it happen. 

I've said for a long time I think ZT is fine, even good, if he'd hire a real OC and just be the HC.  But the sloppy play and coming out flat are really concerning and I would put that on the HC.  His job is to keep the team focused.  Not sure what's going on, but it's very concerning.  
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:40 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Meh.  That's an old take and I don't think it's applicable any more to the organization.  They've shown they'll spend money in free agency, they'll open up to expanding the staff and they've finally starting bringing things around to the 21st century.  The team has a very talented roster (outside of OL which still needs some TLC) and I'd think any coach would be excited for the chance to go and make a name for themselves there.  

I don't think Fickell is the answer, though I'm sure this is a hot local topic.  Everyone loves the hometown story.  We've seen this with players and coaches over and over, where people want to see the rise and success of a local hero.  I just don't think Fickell is the guy to make it happen. 

I've said for a long time I think ZT is fine, even good, if he'd hire a real OC and just be the HC.  But the sloppy play and coming out flat are really concerning and I would put that on the HC.  His job is to keep the team focused.  Not sure what's going on, but it's very concerning.  

The fact that Burrow is the QB is one way a quality HC may want to coach in Cincinnati, but whoever it is I bet they still say do I want to work for Mr Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:03 AM)Joelist Wrote: Assuming Zac gets the boot the next HC MUST have actual NFL pedigree including postseason success.

NFL Postseason success as a HC?
Or postseason success as a DC/OC?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 10:59 AM)cincyfan429 Wrote: No pedigree HC will come to Cincinnati. Brown's a horrible owner, and an unlikeable  person, and no top notch coach will deal with that.

The reality is that "predigree" HCs don't change jobs all that often.  

Our previous hire, Marvin Lewis, was a very highly regarded coaching candidate after his work in Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

That being said, coaches pick situations for various reasons, but anyone that looks at Cincy with Burrow, Mixon, Boyd, Chase and Higgins and doesn't think its a good job, probably isn't very smart.  
Reply/Quote
I don't think you guys realize what kind of a coach this organization could lure in if they were to fire ZT.

Guys would be salivating at working with this roster. It's loaded and this team is on the cusp of being really good for a really long time.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 04:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: NFL Postseason success as a HC?
Or postseason success as a DC/OC?

Josh McDaniels?  He was brutal in Denver because of a toxic personality, but has he learned his lesson? Dude demonstrates he's a good offensive coach. I bet he'd love having Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 04:40 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I don't think you guys realize what kind of a coach this organization could lure in if they were to fire ZT.

Guys would be salivating at working with this roster. It's loaded and this team is on the cusp of being really good for a really long time.

Let's also not forget that while Mike Brown has been willing to give up a bit more control with Taylor coming in, he's likely still going to have some control.
Bengals organization still has somewhat of a reputation of being controlling and cheap, so it might deter some potential candidates away.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote