Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Hill AND Bernard both in danger?
I'm pretty sure we agree that Jeremy Hill's spot is on the line. But does anyone thing Gio could lose his spot as well?
Reply/Quote
We will have a three headed monster at RB this year.. each player will get their carries depending on game plan, score of game, defense tactics and hot hand of the players.. Hill and Mixon will probably get the majority of carries with Gio being more of the 3rd down back in my opinion.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 12:03 AM)GreenDragon Wrote: I'm pretty sure we agree that Jeremy Hill's spot is on the line. But does anyone thing Gio could lose his spot as well?

No. Hill's opportunities will diminish more and more. There's no one on the roster to take Gio's touches (other than a few more for Mixon) and they won't simply bump Hill to #2 and Gio to #3. Gio does things Hill can't. 

They'll definitely utilize all 3 as long as Hill is healthy and productive. Nothing wrong with that as long as he doesn't duplicate his YPC of the last 2 years. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Will use all 3 unless one just emerges and forces the change.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
How the running back situation shakes out is going to be interesting. Here's another wrinkle in the game Carson took every snap at Peerman position on special teams.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 12:03 AM)GreenDragon Wrote: I'm pretty sure we agree that Jeremy Hill's spot is on the line. But does anyone thing Gio could lose his spot as well?

This team hasn't won in the Play-Offs for a long, long time, So I don't expect any of you new millennials to know this.  Last time we won, really won, we had James Brooks, Icky Woods, Stanley Wilson, Stanford Jennings at running back.  The other Super Bowl year we had Pete Johnson, Charles Alexander, Archie Griffin....The 1970 play-off team had Paul Robinson, Jess Phillips, Essex Johnson.....So IF people really want Play-Off Wins, it's going to take Hill, Bernard, Mixon and maybe also Carson and Peerman.  Over the course of a game or a season you have to put in fresh legs to get to Play-Off Wins....Same goes for needing McCarron and all other TEAM DEPTH...I hate to point it out, but the window of opportunity is closing on the 2011 Draft Choices Dalton and Green.  I think they can get us to The Promised Land, but they will need much more depth than they ever had in the Play-Off one and done seasons.....So as far as spots go, there is a spot for all of them and all good players who can help get Dalton and Green to The Super Bowl. ...Those talking trading for draft picks in preseason are too use to losing. Maybe they never saw Bengals in winning years, maybe not even born.  To be the best, we will need all the good players we can have in 2017, and trading for 2018 isn't and shouldn't be on the table. It's time to man up and go deep in the Play-Offs NOW, while we have Dalton, Green, Atkins, Dunlap on this team still in their prime years. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 12:11 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We will have a three headed monster at RB this year.. each player will get their carries depending on game plan, score of game, defense tactics and hot hand of the players.. Hill and Mixon will probably get the majority of carries with Gio being more of the 3rd down back in my opinion.

I agree w/ you on this 3 headed monster this year..
but w/ hill's contract up this year I bet he walks in FA
b/c we just won't be able to afford all 3 of them....
Mixon & GIO can do it by themselves imo
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 12:11 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We will have a three headed monster at RB this year.. each player will get their carries depending on game plan, score of game, defense tactics and hot hand of the players.. Hill and Mixon will probably get the majority of carries with Gio being more of the 3rd down back in my opinion.

Agree with this 100%
Reply/Quote
I think it's time for Carson to go ahead of Peerman. He can play special teams and is servicable at minimum as a back. Ced has done a great job, but i think we have a replacement. If Bernard isn't right, and Mixon gets hurt (God forbid) we are quickly weak at RB.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 03:00 AM)Brimey Wrote: I think it's time for Carson to go ahead of Peerman. He can play special teams and is servicable at minimum as a back. Ced has done a great job, but i think we have a replacement. If Bernard isn't right, and Mixon gets hurt (God forbid) we are quickly weak at RB.

Agreed.  Carson should replace Peerman.

I thought Hill looked good....and obviously Mixon did. If Gio comes back to form....this backfield could be scary.  Just what the doctor ordered.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Gio's only flaw is being a smaller back at 205 pounds blocking larger guys. He can do it and knows who to block but he can get wore down doing it over and over. He can do everything else run between tackles catch out of the backfield he is great in space give him an open field he picks up nice yardage. I don't see him losing his spot to anyone or snaps he is our solid #2 back.

If Carson keeps his hard running up the rest of the preseason and catches the ball well he should replace Peerman. If he does I don't see him making it back onto the PS I see him getting claimed like Wilder did a few years ago.

I think Hill stays with the team to split carries to keep Mixon from running out of gas later in the year. Mixon is not use to the 16 reg season games and playoff games on top of that. The only way I don't see Hill on the team is because of a trade and Carson tearing it up the rest of the preseason against 1st stringers if they give him the chance to play against them.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 12:50 AM)Steve Wrote: I agree w/ you on this 3 headed monster this year..
but w/ hill's contract up this year I bet he walks in FA
b/c we just won't be able to afford all 3 of them....
Mixon & GIO can do it by themselves imo

Agree

(08-13-2017, 03:00 AM)Brimey Wrote: I think it's time for Carson to go ahead of Peerman. He can play special teams and is servicable at minimum as a back. Ced has done a great job, but i think we have a replacement. If Bernard isn't right, and Mixon gets hurt (God forbid) we are quickly weak at RB.

Agree, time to move on.

(08-13-2017, 04:12 AM)Wyche Wrote: Agreed.  Carson should replace Peerman.

I thought Hill looked good....and obviously Mixon did. If Gio comes back to form....this backfield could be scary.  Just what the doctor ordered.

Yep we'll keep Hill, Mixon, and Gio this season no doubt. And I hope like you and others say Carson replaces Peerman. Carson offers more if any of the 3 headed monsters fail.

And like many have stated before it's Hill's contract year so unless he lights the world on fire (and I hope he does for all you sensitive ones out there anxious to sling the hating hammer) I doubt he's resigned. 
Reply/Quote
I think Hill and Mixon will share carries. Mixon probably will get more as the season unfolds.

Gio gets whatever is left.

Why not get the most out of the JH? They won't resign him anyway.

I bet Hill's attitude mostly will affect his overall role this season.

If Jeremy gets salty he could have his carries taken away IMO.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

No. All three running backs will make the final roster. Giovani Bernard looked terrific in training camp and the offensive line opened holes for Jeremy Hill against the Buccaneers. Jeremy is a very good running back and with better blocking up front fans will be amazed how much he'll "improve" in 2017. Most casual observers focus on skill players only and much of the sports media is guilty of this too but those of us on The Bengals Board know it begins and in the trenches.

Oh, Joe Mixon? Not worried...
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 12:45 AM)kevin Wrote: This team hasn't won in the Play-Offs for a long, long time, So I don't expect any of you new millennials to know this.  Last time we won, really won, we had James Brooks, Icky Woods, Stanley Wilson, Stanford Jennings at running back.  The other Super Bowl year we had Pete Johnson, Charles Alexander, Archie Griffin....The 1970 play-off team had Paul Robinson, Jess Phillips, Essex Johnson.....So IF people really want Play-Off Wins, it's going to take Hill, Bernard, Mixon and maybe also Carson and Peerman.  Over the course of a game or a season you have to put in fresh legs to get to Play-Off Wins....Same goes for needing McCarron and all other TEAM DEPTH...I hate to point it out, but the window of opportunity is closing on the 2011 Draft Choices Dalton and Green.  I think they can get us to The Promised Land, but they will need much more depth than they ever had in the Play-Off one and done seasons.....So as far as spots go, there is a spot for all of them and all good players who can help get Dalton and Green to The Super Bowl. ...Those talking trading for draft picks in preseason are too use to losing. Maybe they never saw Bengals in winning years, maybe not even born.  To be the best, we will need all the good players we can have in 2017, and trading for 2018 isn't and shouldn't be on the table. It's time to man up and go deep in the Play-Offs NOW, while we have Dalton, Green, Atkins, Dunlap on this team still in their prime years. 

Couldn't agree more
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 12:03 AM)GreenDragon Wrote: I'm pretty sure we agree that Jeremy Hill's spot is on the line. 

We agree on no such thing.

Jeremy Hill has a base salary of 8.8K this year, costs us 1.1mil against the cap and has 2.6K in dead money. For team cap hit he ranks 27th. He is a valuable, durable back; we are not cutting him. Now if a contender loses a RB, then we may trade him as he would be valuable in a trade and I fully expect him to walk at the end of the year.

Quote:But does anyone thing Gio could lose his spot as well?
Now Gio’s cap hit is 3.6mil and he has proven to be less than durable. He seems like a possible cut until you look at his dead money of 3.2mil. The only way we cut him is to reach an injury settlement. He is not as valuable as Hill in a trade scenario.

Joe, Jeremy, and Gio will be on the team and we will wear defenses out.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Agree? Not in a long shot. Hill's spot is not only safe, he will play a ton in 2017 as will Bernard.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 12:40 AM)Synric Wrote: How the running back situation shakes out is going to be interesting. Here's another wrinkle in the game Carson took every snap at Peerman position on special teams.

I saw that as well. I think Peerman is in deep jeopardy, not Hill or Bernard.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 09:53 AM)bfine32 Wrote: We agree on no such thing.

Jeremy Hill has a base salary of 8.8K this year, costs us 1.1mil against the cap and has 2.6K in dead money. For team cap hit he ranks 27th. He is a valuable, durable back; we are not cutting him. Now if a contender loses a RB, then we may trade him as he would be valuable in a trade and I fully expect him to walk at the end of the year.

Now Gio’s cap hit is 3.6mil and he has proven to be less than durable. He seems like a possible cut until you look at his dead money of 3.2mil. The only way we cut him is to reach an injury settlement. He is not as valuable as Hill in a trade scenario.

Joe, Jeremy, and Gio will be on the team and we will wear defenses out.

Agreed. I actually clicked on this thread to post about their salary differential. You would think Gio's higher salary would make him a cut candidate...in 2018.

According to Spotrac, the Bengals can dump Gio next year with only a $1.5 million cap hit. Next year, Gio's salary also nearly doubles from $1.6 m to 3.1 m, and his cap hit jumps up 0.5 m as well. So depending on how this year plays out, Gio could be a prime candidate to be cut in 2018. 

As for Hill, regardless of how you feel about him as a RB, there's no denying that he provides good value at his current salary. He also makes for an excellent insurance policy...considering his starting experience and durability. I doubt he's going anywhere.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 04:12 AM)Wyche Wrote: Agreed.  Carson should replace Peerman.

If you asked me on Draft Day if I'd ever see a post like this from you, I would have laughed.  If he keeps it clean off field, we got the steal of the draft this year.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote