Poll: Will You Buy A Handicalendar?
No
YES!
It Depends On The Price
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are You Going To Buy A Handicalendar?!
I know I have a few threads about this but figured I'd start one to see if there's any interest on the boards to buy one.

We have a male friend of mine with Spina Bifida that's 27, a lady that's 32 with a spinal cord injury, an army veteran in his 20s that was paralyzed by friendly fire, a military guy in his 20s missing both legs below his knees, a girl in her 20s that's missing one leg below the knee, and then me. We also have a few strong maybes with a female Air Force veteran that's quadriplegic, and then a girl that's in her early 20s that has FA and isn't supposed to live past 35. I only mention that she has FA because she's the most important model in this because I want her to last forever in this calendar (corny, I know, but that was my first thought when I saw her say she likely won't live past 35).

I'm going to pay the models and then we're going to donate the rest of the proceeds to charities of the models' choice. I won't be making money off of this.

There will be a website where you can purchase the calendars to make it easy.

If it depends on the price, please list what you'd be willing to pay, but it won't be more than any normal calendar that you can buy.

Vote to let me know if there's any interest on here!
Reply/Quote
Nobody on here likes the idea?!

I've gained a lot of interest on Facebook and through at least one news outlet!
Reply/Quote
I think it's a fun idea, Brad. It could grow into something bigger and become a genuine fundraiser for research or assistance. Maybe a different group each year receives funds. But I think it's great, and sounds like you're getting a lot of the community involved, which is awesome.

I wouldn't buy one for the simple fact that I haven't used a physical calendar in years. I'm on my computer and phone all day, and using those calendars is what I've become used to referencing. If this turned into a fundraiser and there was an option to donate without getting a calendar, I'd be more inclined to do that. Each year around Christmas, I get 5-6 calendars from various charities around the country and my kids might take one to put in a room to write goofy things on, but the rest end up in the recycling bin.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 02:59 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I think it's a fun idea, Brad.  It could grow into something bigger and become a genuine fundraiser for research or assistance.  Maybe a different group each year receives funds.  But I think it's great, and sounds like you're getting a lot of the community involved, which is awesome.  

I wouldn't buy one for the simple fact that I haven't used a physical calendar in years.  I'm on my computer and phone all day, and using those calendars is what I've become used to referencing.  If this turned into a fundraiser and there was an option to donate without getting a calendar, I'd be more inclined to do that.  Each year around Christmas, I get 5-6 calendars from various charities around the country and my kids might take one to put in a room to write goofy things on, but the rest end up in the recycling bin.

That's a good idea to make people be able to donate without buying one!

Like I said, aside from paying the models a little something, the proceeds will go to charities.  

If you want to get your kids one to help open up their minds (not saying they need it, but a lot of kids aren't exposed to these type of people [me included]) on a regular basis!

It would be a great Christmas gift!
Reply/Quote
I'm not really thinking of how much they'll cost to make because I'm thinking that it won't cost more than a few pennies to make (probably less since that medical cream selling for hundreds only cost pennies to make), and we have sponsors helping to cover everything, so that's not a problem.

My question is, how much would a book store buy them for from us to sell?

If they go on sale for $20 in a bookstore (just making that number up but it's one of the options in the survey), how much would the bookstore be willing to pay us for each copy?

$10? $5?

Anybody know?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 01:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm not really thinking of how much they'll cost to make because I'm thinking that it won't cost more than a few pennies to make (probably less since that medical cream selling for hundreds only cost pennies to make), and we have sponsors helping to cover everything, so that's not a problem.

My question is, how much would a book store buy them for from us to sell?

If they go on sale for $20 in a bookstore (just making that number up but it's one of the options in the survey), how much would the bookstore be willing to pay us for each copy?

$10?  $5?  

Anybody know?

Your assumption on cost is way off...

Depending on your volume you are going to be at a couple of bucks per I would predict unless the printer gave you a special discount for being a charitable organization. You probably should reach out to some printers and get general quantity pricing on something like that before figuring out the price. Note most customers will want them when they pay, and most printers will want to be paid before they print, so you have to pre-purchase which impacts quantity discounting as you have to make sure not to over buy on something like a calendar which has a finite life span.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 02:46 PM)Au165 Wrote: Your assumption on cost is way off...

Depending on your volume you are going to be at a couple of bucks per I would predict unless the printer gave you a special discount for being a charitable organization. You probably should reach out to some printers and get general quantity pricing on something like that before figuring out the price. Note most customers will want them when they pay, and most printers will want to be paid before they print, so you have to pre-purchase which impacts quantity discounting as you have to make sure not to over buy on something like a calendar which has a finite life span.

I have printers covered and the break-even point and all that, but my question was just more about the bookstores and wherever: how much will they buy them for?

Would they pay $10 to sell for $20?
Reply/Quote
You need to make something someone will actually use. No one uses physical calendars anymore like someone previously said.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 03:12 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You need to make something someone will actually use. No one uses physical calendars anymore like someone previously said.

I'm not thinking of it as something most people will actually but more of just a decorative thing, especially in classrooms at schools.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 01:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: My question is, how much would a book store buy them for from us to sell?

$10?  $5?  

Anybody know?

No offense Brad, but if you are really serious about this you should have already been in touch with every book store within 100 miles of your home.  You need some serious business/marketing advice to make this work.  No one here can help you with this.

Charities spends tons of money on these type of marketing projects.  if you could somehow tie this to just one charity then you might get the professional help you need, but it does not seem that is the direction you are going.

I respect what you are trying to do, but the fact is that people just don't like looking at handicapped people as "decorative items".  It is going to be hard to sell this calendar. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 07:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No offense Brad, but if you are really serious about this you should have already been in touch with every book store within 100 miles of your home.  You need some serious business/marketing advice to make this work.  No one here can help you with this.

Charities spends tons of money on these type of marketing projects.  if you could somehow tie this to just one charity then you might get the professional help you need, but it does not seem that is the direction you are going.

I respect what you are trying to do, but the fact is that people just don't like looking at handicapped people as "decorative items".  It is going to be hard to sell this calendar. 

You come in here and bash my thread and just try to make it sound like you're smarter than everyone when really your "advice" is just to try and degrade me and my idea.

I have a team reaching out to local bookstores and schools and I'm also going to try and sell the idea to bookstores at places like UK and UL (on top of local colleges and universities that I have good relationships with).

I already have nine or ten charities lined up that are going to cover the costs and get sponsorship spots for it.

We also have surveys out to gage the level of interest and we're speaking with schools and places to get the idea out.

I'm going to email more places once we get everything more organized.

Actually, just for shits and giggles, I decided to Google and find out if physical calendars are still popular. and this website says 78% of people use a printed calendar at home or at work!

Quote:Despite the popularity of mobile technology, studies show that 78%* of consumers still use a printed calendar at home or at work. That’s a LOT of people using good old-fashioned pen and paper, and proof that printed calendars still make great advertising.

78%!
Do you realize how INCREDIBLE THIS IS?!  You posted trying to bash me, like you always do, and just end up bashing yourself!

Reply/Quote
I THINK THIS IS THE GREATEST TWO DAYS OF MY MESSAGE BOARD LIFE!
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 08:19 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You come in here and bash my thread and just try to make it sound like you're smarter than everyone when really your "advice" is just to try and degrade me and my idea.

Actually what happens is that every time you come here asking for "advice" you don't really want advice.  all you want is for everyone to say you are doing everything perfectly.  Then whenever anyone tries to give you advice you get mad and accuse them of attacking you.

For example it appears you are doing exactly what I suggested.  In other words I gave you very good advice.  But all you do is get mad at me for it. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 11:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually what happens is that every time you come here asking for "advice" you don't really want advice.  all you want is for everyone to say you are doing everything perfectly.  Then whenever anyone tries to give you advice you get mad and accuse them of attacking you.

For example it appears you are doing exactly what I suggested.  In other words I gave you very good advice.  But all you do is get mad at me for it. 

I asked what price people would be willing to pay and if there's any interest to buy one on here.......... HOW IS THAT ASKING FOR PEOPLE TO SAY THAT I'M DOING THINGS PERFECTLY?!

And, as I said, my team and I were already doing the things you suggested because we're smarter than you in this manner, despite you insinuating that we wouldn't already be doing the things you suggested.

Once again, you attack me like I'm too stupid to realize it when you have no solid response. 

I suggest staying away from my threads for a while, especially after the vaccine debacle.  
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 07:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No offense Brad, but if you are really serious about this you should have already been in touch with every book store within 100 miles of your home.  You need some serious business/marketing advice to make this work.  No one here can help you with this.

Hold on........  people don't like looking at handicapped people/people missing limbs as decorative items?!  

How do you know this?!  How many people have you talked to about this?!  Where's the market research?!  

Now you're just bashing me and other handicapped people because you feel big and smart being a bully, regardless of how many times I prove you wrong or make you look bad.

Why wouldn't they like looking at people with nice, toned, muscular bodies in wheelchairs and/or missing limbs?  Are you saying people in wheelchairs can't be attractive?!  Do you tell people in your community that?!  

The models I have are in great shape and very attractive, so the handicapped issue seems like it could be more appealing by offering something different while still looking good.

Or, again, are you saying that it's impossible for handicapped people or people missing limbs to be attractive?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW SINCE YOU SPEAK FOR THE WORLD.

Or were you just looking for another reason to insult me and failed, like you always do when you try and bash me?
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 12:49 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Now you're just bashing me and other handicapped people because you feel big and smart being a bully, regardless of how many times I prove you wrong or make you look bad.

Look, Brad, I am overweight.  I don't think people like looking at overweight people as decorative items either.  So this has nothing to do with being smart or a bully.  I am just making my comments based on 50 years of looking at advertising, calendars, posters, and other decorative items.  

Maybe I am wrong.  I certainly don't have anything against handicapped people.  I actually hope you do well with your calendar.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 03:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Look, Brad, I am overweight.  I don't think people like looking at overweight people as decorative items either.  So this has nothing to do with being smart or a bully.  I am just making my comments based on 50 years of looking at advertising, calendars, posters, and other decorative items.  

Maybe I am wrong.  I certainly don't have anything against handicapped people.  I actually hope you do well with your calendar.

Answer every question in my post.

Don't try and deflect.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 03:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Look, Brad, I am overweight.  I don't think people like looking at overweight people as decorative items either.  So this has nothing to do with being smart or a bully.  I am just making my comments based on 50 years of looking at advertising, calendars, posters, and other decorative items.  

Hold on.

You're saying that handicapped people and people missing limbs are as unattractive to look at as overweight people?
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 03:07 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Hold on.

You're saying that handicapped people and people missing limbs are as unattractive to look at as overweight people?

All I am saying is that when it comes to posters, advertising, calendars, and other decorative items it is pretty rare to see fat people or physically handicapped people.

But I am wishing you nothing but success with this project.  I respect what you are trying to do.  Anyone can make a calendar of hot, perfect-looking models.  You are willing to take on a challenge for something new and exciting.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 07:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All I am saying is that when it comes to posters, advertising, calendars, and other decorative items it is pretty rare to see fat people or physically handicapped people.

But I am wishing you nothing but success with this project.  I respect what you are trying to do.  Anyone can make a calendar of hot, perfect-looking models.  You are willing to take on a challenge for something new and exciting.

Once again, who have you asked about this?  How many studies have you looked up?

Fat people, I understand, but why not handicapped people?  What about a handicapped person is less-attractive than a normal person?  

You're digging yourself deeper here, and you obviously don't wish me well since you tried to post like I was copying that military calendar.
Reply/Quote