Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are You Ready For AJ & Dalton No Longer Bengals ?
With Free Agency coming, it's something to consider. Don't all act surprised if both end up on other teams. I have a feeling both want to test the market and see what other teams offer them. I also have a feeling both would like a change. Nothing against the people of Cincinnati. Just that sometimes going to another team starts looking good after all the losing. I wouldn't blame them, and some team will offer AJ Green huge bucks. Also, if Mike Brown wanted them, they would have been resigned way before free agency. All arrows point to Mike not resigning them means he decided he was willing to part with them many months ago.

Anyway, if both are gone come March, don't be all surprised about it.

It will free up a ton of money for Burrow and many new players. They do have to build for the new decade of the Roaring 20's. Freeing up a ton of money is music to Mike Browns ears.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Well, it's not as if either is completely irreplaceable. We all get replaced at some point. The only questions are when and if the replacement is up to the tasks.. Loyalty is nice, but there is a point at which loyalty can become a real liability.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 03:46 PM)kevin Wrote: With Free Agency coming, it's something to consider.   Don't all act surprised if both end up on other teams.   I have a feeling both want to test the market and see what other teams offer them.   I also have a feeling both would like a change.  Nothing against the people of Cincinnati.  Just that sometimes going to another team starts looking good after all the losing.  I wouldn't blame them, and some team will offer AJ Green huge bucks.   Also, if Mike Brown wanted them, they would have been resigned way before free agency.   All arrows point to Mike not resigning them means he decided he was willing to part with them many months ago.  

Anyway, if both are gone come March, don't be all surprised about it.

It will free up a ton of money for Burrow and many new players.  They do have to build for the new decade of the Roaring 20's.  Freeing up a ton of money is music to Mike Browns ears.

We saw the same thing in 2011 when Carson and Chad weren't on the team.
The team will survive without them. Let them go elsewhere and use that extra cap space to solidify the core of the future.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'm ready for Dalton to no longer be a Bengal.

Not ready for Green to go.

I want him to retire a Bengal.

Give him his deal and let him make Burrow's life a little easier.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 03:49 PM)grampahol Wrote: Well, it's not as if either is completely irreplaceable. We all get replaced at some point. The only questions are when and if the replacement is up to the tasks.. Loyalty is nice, but there is a point at which loyalty can become a real liability.

All true, but may we add that on Point and Time, that Mike Brown has let their contracts run out at this point, and this time.  Mike Brown takes no cap hit, pays no extra wages.  The 2 highest paid contracts on the team are no more.   A team wanting AJ can grab him.  A team wanting Andy can grab him.  Often Mike Brown has let players contracts run out if he has replacements or not.   We could say Mike was thinking this when he drafted Ross.   Now with chance to get Burrow, those are the replacements.  Certainly Mike Brown on letting the contracts run out has set the point and the time up as NOW.   These contracts didn't run out on accident, the Front Office didn't fail to see these contracts ending after 2019.  Myself, I'll be very surprised if either are back.  That means AJ played his last Bengals game in 2018 under Marvin, so Bengals have been getting a look at other receivers over a year now.  Bengals benched Andy to look at what's his name.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 04:05 PM)kevin Wrote: All true, but may we add that on Point and Time, that Mike Brown has let their contracts run out at this point, and this time.  Mike Brown takes no cap hit, pays no extra wages.  The 2 highest paid contracts on the team are no more.   A team wanting AJ can grab him.  A team wanting Andy can grab him.  Often Mike Brown has let players contracts run out if he has replacements or not.   We could say Mike was thinking this when he drafted Ross.   Now with chance to get Burrow, those are the replacements.  Certainly Mike Brown on letting the contracts run out has set the point and the time up as NOW.   These contracts didn't run out on accident, the Front Office didn't fail to see these contracts ending after 2019.  Myself, I'll be very surprised if either are back.  That means AJ played his last Bengals game in 2018 under Marvin, so Bengals have been getting a look at other receivers over a year now. 

Green didn't play a single down this season, he should sign a 1 yr deal for cheap to help out Burrow for Mikes generosity. If only Green knew how many hours Ive worked for peanuts.
Reply/Quote
I don't think Dalton will be here but AJ Green is going to be tagged so unless they can't get him locked down long term and holds out he will be here in 2020.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 04:11 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Green didn't play a single down this season, he should sign a 1 yr deal for cheap to help out Burrow for Mikes generosity. If only Green knew how many hours Ive worked for peanuts.

Mike and generosity in same sentence.  

I think AJ Green earned most of his contract while a Bengal.  I'm sure AJ Green feels he has.  

Lets not cry for Mike here.  He let these contracts run out, this is no accident on Mike's part that he didn't resign them long before free agency.  Mike is not real big on paying older players so they can retire as a Bengal.  History shows otherwise. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 03:59 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'm ready for Dalton to no longer be a Bengal.

Not ready for Green to go.

I want him to retire a Bengal.

Give him his deal and let him make Burrow's life a little easier.

By cheering him on from the sideline?

Eh, I'm ready to move on from both.
Reply/Quote
So actually i think they keep Andy and trade him next mid year before the deadline. I see no point in keeping Green if he is unhappy with a 1 year deal.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 04:05 PM)kevin Wrote: All true, but may we add that on Point and Time, that Mike Brown has let their contracts run out at this point, and this time.  Mike Brown takes no cap hit, pays no extra wages.  The 2 highest paid contracts on the team are no more.   A team wanting AJ can grab him.  A team wanting Andy can grab him.  Often Mike Brown has let players contracts run out if he has replacements or not.   We could say Mike was thinking this when he drafted Ross.   Now with chance to get Burrow, those are the replacements.  Certainly Mike Brown on letting the contracts run out has set the point and the time up as NOW.   These contracts didn't run out on accident, the Front Office didn't fail to see these contracts ending after 2019.  Myself, I'll be very surprised if either are back.  That means AJ played his last Bengals game in 2018 under Marvin, so Bengals have been getting a look at other receivers over a year now.  Bengals benched Andy to look at what's his name.

Dalton still under contract this year.....
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 04:29 PM)R3stangs Wrote: By cheering him on from the sideline?

No, by catching passes from him.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 04:13 PM)Synric Wrote: I don't think Dalton will be here but AJ Green is going to be tagged so unless they can't get him locked down long term and holds out he will be here in 2020.

Could be possible, if AJ is healthy which I believe he is, he is worth the tag if he can play most of the games next year.

He is that good when healthy. With Burrow and his accuracy AJ might have a very good year if he doesn't start to slow down.

Trade Dalton, I wish him the best wherever he goes, bet it is to New England which is a great place to land.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 04:29 PM)R3stangs Wrote: By cheering him on from the sideline?

AJ health is totally unknown to the fans at this point.  Very concerning his injury was so severe he didn't play at all and wasn't on IR.  Baffling.
If he's healthy and hasn't missed a step I sign him on a team friendly deal for the first year and every year, much like Dalton's current deal.  He'd be a tremendous asset to Joe Burrow.  With Mixon and Gio out of the backfield, defenses have harder problems to solve, ie Burrow can have the entire field to use.  Boyd ain't bad either so the team is more lethal with AJ, a generational talent on the field.  Keep that guy(if healthy).

Dalton will be gone and it looks like to a mutually agreeable destination.  
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 04:41 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: AJ health is totally unknown to the fans at this point.  Very concerning his injury was so severe he didn't play at all and wasn't on IR.  Baffling.
If he's healthy and hasn't missed a step I sign him on a team friendly deal for the first year and every year, much like Dalton's current deal.  He'd be a tremendous asset to Joe Burrow.  With Mixon and Gio out of the backfield, defenses have harder problems to solve, ie Burrow can have the entire field to use.  Boyd ain't bad either so the team is more lethal with AJ, a generational talent on the field.  Keep that guy(if healthy).

Dalton will be gone and it looks like to a mutually agreeable destination.  

Key is if healthy. Who knows. And you have to give him a contract before you know that for sure. Everyone has their opinions on what to do with him. Mine is he's too risky and will cost to much for the questions that he poses. I hope we move on.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 04:11 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Green didn't play a single down this season, he should sign a 1 yr deal for cheap to help out Burrow for Mikes generosity. If only Green knew how many hours Ive worked for peanuts.

You're underpaid so AJ Green should give a discount to a guy who inherited a billion dollar business?  

I never quite got why us regular folks are so obsessed with how much athletes earn in their 2 to 10 year careers while the owners and their families often born into lifetimes of massive wealth become the sympathetic characters we identify with. 
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 04:20 PM)kevin Wrote: Mike and generosity in same sentence.  

You don't think Mike is generous? Really? How many other owners do you think would keep a less than average defensive lineman on the 53 man roster for the sole purpose of keeping said player's daughter on the team insurance while she was having cancer treatments? For all the crap we can lay on Mike Brown, there is no reason to make things up.

To the original point, it's pretty much a given Andy is gone and AJ is staying.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 06:54 PM)Sled21 Wrote: To the original point, it's pretty much a given Andy is gone and AJ is staying.

Green is a given?  What kind of deal are they giving him?
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 06:54 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You don't think Mike is generous? Really? How many other owners do you think would keep a less than average defensive lineman on the 53 man roster for the sole purpose of keeping said player's daughter on the team insurance while she was having cancer treatments? For all the crap we can lay on Mike Brown, there is no reason to make things up.

To the original point, it's pretty much a given Andy is gone and AJ is staying.

Mike Brown doing that was a good thing, but the guy is valued at almost $2 billion, so that expenditure is something like 0.00016% of Mike Brown's net worth.  That would be the yearly equivalent of $4.98 to a person who makes the yearly median income in the USA.  Again, it's great Mike Brown did that, but the optics of spending that money could very well have led to enough generated revenue to offset it.

And yes, I realize I compared a yearly income to someone's net worth but the guy is the owner and pays himself millions to be the GM and so on and so forth.
Reply/Quote
I would seriously consider letting both players go and use the money to sign top free agent o lineman or LBs.

I think AJ is the best WR in Bengals history and appears to be a really fine young man. I think it is a huge mistake to overpay to keep a 31 year old WR who has been injured a lot when we have so many other needs.

This team is not going any where without a significantly improved o line and some decent LBs. Filling these holes in free agency should be priority one and two if they intend to keep no 1 pick for Burrow.
Reply/Quote