Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Are the Bengals bad or just unlucky?
(02-23-2018, 12:16 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Well to be fair to all other Bengal fans, that's Brads stance and not theirs. Using Brad as a representative of the Bengal fan base is like using the Yugo as a representative of all automobiles. Or the Hindenburg as a representative of all flying machines.  

Besides, anyone who thinks there is a 'typical' example of any group of people that large is deluding themselves.

Just as Brad cherry picks what he considers lucky and unlucky, he looks at the characteristics of the worst 2% of the Steeler fan base and considers it 'typical'.

Hindenburg, indeed.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 12:16 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Well to be fair to all other Bengal fans, that's Brads stance and not theirs. Using Brad as a representative of the Bengal fan base is like using the Yugo as a representative of all automobiles. Or the Hindenburg as a representative of all flying machines.  
Steelers do have a good franchise, but you're blind and delusional, as most Steelers fans are, if you think that they haven't had more "lucky" breaks than any other franchise at the best possible times for them.

You're also blind and delusional if you don't think that having one of the NFL's biggest fanbases gets them things that it doesn't get other NFL teams.
(02-25-2018, 07:47 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Besides, anyone who thinks there is a 'typical' example of any group of people that large is deluding themselves.  

Just as Brad cherry picks what he considers lucky and unlucky, he looks at the characteristics of the worst 2% of the Steeler fan base and considers it 'typical'.

Hindenburg, indeed.

Hilarious

You really think that my descriptions only qualify for 2% of the fanbase?

Chalk up another hilarious thought by a Steelers fan  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 10:45 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Steelers do have a good franchise, but you're blind and delusional, as most Steelers fans are, if you think that they haven't had more "lucky" breaks than any other franchise at the best possible times for them.

You're also blind and delusional if you don't think that having one of the NFL's biggest fanbases gets them things that it doesn't get other NFL teams.
[Image: Gbg7HNU.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 10:45 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Steelers do have a good franchise, but you're blind and delusional, as most Steelers fans are, if you think that they haven't had more "lucky" breaks than any other franchise at the best possible times for them.

Hilarious

You really think that my descriptions only qualify for 2% of the fanbase?

Chalk up another hilarious thought by a Steelers fan  ThumbsUp

The 2% figure is arbitrary, but, as an actual fan who knows WAAAAAY more Steeler fans than you do, I can say with confidence that it is much smaller than you think.  Most people on this board realize that the "worst" elements of a fanbase do not by any means represent the whole group.  The vast majority of any fanbase is just regular people.  Heck, the Eagles fans have a well deserved reputation for being hooligans, but that's not the whole story.   I know quite a few Eagles fans who are some of the nicest people you'd want to meet.  They are pastors, homeless shelter directors, doctors, leaders of local nonprofits, etc.  But, if I thought like you and met any of those guys on a message board where they were only identified by their fandom, I would assume that they all ate horse poop.    

Have you ever considered that the reason why all the Steelers fans you know are crappy people may just be because you associate, in general, with crappy people?
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 03:14 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: The 2% figure is arbitrary, but, as an actual fan who knows WAAAAAY more Steeler fans than you do, I can say with confidence that it is much smaller than you think.  Most people on this board realize that the "worst" elements of a fanbase do not by any means represent the whole group.  The vast majority of any fanbase is just regular people.  Heck, the Eagles fans have a well deserved reputation for being hooligans, but that's not the whole story.   I know quite a few Eagles fans who are some of the nicest people you'd want to meet.  They are pastors, homeless shelter directors, doctors, leaders of local nonprofits, etc.  But, if I thought like you and met any of those guys on a message board where they were only identified by their fandom, I would assume that they all ate horse poop.    

Have you ever considered that the reason why all the Steelers fans you know are crappy people may just be because you associate, in general, with crappy people?

I don't associate with many Steelers fans......  actually, only a few, but I definitely see them out and have listened to and witnessed them.

One of your fans on this board or the old one even had a sig about bandwagon Steelers fans and how it was the majority.

This site says they're the 6th most obnoxious fans.  This one says 6th-worst.  Third-most fan arrests, which admittedly the Bengals are 4th, but we're talking about your fans being horrible.  If you'd like to compare with the Bengals for how well your franchise is doing, go right ahead, but you have low expectations, which goes back to proving my point.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 08:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't associate with many Steelers fans......  actually, only a few, but I definitely see them out and have listened to and witnessed them.

One of your fans on this board or the old one even had a sig about bandwagon Steelers fans and how it was the majority.

This site says they're the 6th most obnoxious fans.  This one says 6th-worst.  Third-most fan arrests, which admittedly the Bengals are 4th, but we're talking about your fans being horrible.  If you'd like to compare with the Bengals for how well your franchise is doing, go right ahead, but you have low expectations, which goes back to proving my point.

Was the arrest ranking total arrests or arrests per fan? That makes a difference, you know.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 09:27 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Was the arrest ranking total arrests or arrests per fan?  That makes a difference, you know.

Big difference. 6 arrests at a Steeler game with 66,000 people in attendance is better than 3 arrests at a Bengals game with 10 attendance people. 
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 09:27 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Was the arrest ranking total arrests or arrests per fan?  That makes a difference, you know.
Keep telling yourself that, little fella  ThumbsUp
(02-27-2018, 09:33 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Big difference. 6 arrests at a Steeler game with 66,000 people in attendance is better than 3 arrests at a Bengals game with 10 attendance people. 

See above  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 09:27 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Was the arrest ranking total arrests or arrests per fan? That makes a difference, you know.

(02-27-2018, 10:23 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Keep telling yourself that, little fella  ThumbsUp

See above  ThumbsUp

You don't understand it, I see. Well, if it makes you feel better to belittle me, knock yourself out.

But, for what it's worth, I was being facetious about how stupid a thing that is to argue about.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 09:33 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Big difference. 6 arrests at a Steeler game with 66,000 people in attendance is better than 3 arrests at a Bengals game with 10 attendance people. 

Yes, but 2 of those 3 were Stooler fans. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 10:25 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, but 2 of those 3 were Stooler fans. Mellow

All seriousness aside I went to the raw data from the Post article all this is based on.  I wondered if there are 10 arrests when oakland visits Pittsburgh how do we know they were all Steelers fans?

But if you read the article about the data collected it is interesting to see how there are more arrests when a team plays a late game or a primetime game and other factors that would skew results toward teams that get more of those games.

I mean fans are still dbags but the culture of tailgating has changed from a huge cokout to a huge drunkfest so the rise in incidents isn't a huge surprise.

I'd be curious too about the location of stadiums.  If ones in city areas have a higher incident rate than ones outside of town.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 06:22 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: You don't understand it, I see.  Well, if it makes you feel better to belittle me, knock yourself out.

But, for what it's worth, I was being facetious about how stupid a thing that is to argue about.

You accuse me of belittling you A SENTENCE AFTER you belittle me by claiming that I don't understand  the concept......  the irony and hypocrisy is beyond hilarious, but, let's be honest, it's not at all surprising.

And you were being facetious because you have no other response to the points I made that counter your stupid posts.

Keep being you  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 10:34 AM)GMDino Wrote: All seriousness aside I went to the raw data from the Post article all this is based on.  I wondered if there are 10 arrests when oakland visits Pittsburgh how do we know they were all Steelers fans?

But if you read the article about the data collected it is interesting to see how there are more arrests when a team plays a late game or a primetime game and other factors that would skew results toward teams that get more of those games.

I mean fans are still dbags but the culture of tailgating has changed from a huge cokout to a huge drunkfest so the rise in incidents isn't a huge surprise.

I'd be curious too about the location of stadiums.  If ones in city areas have a higher incident rate than ones outside of town.

I think THIS is the largest culprit.....especially in primetime and late games.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 10:52 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: You accuse me of belittling you A SENTENCE AFTER you belittle me by claiming that I don't understand  the concept......  the irony and hypocrisy is beyond hilarious, but, let's be honest, it's not at all surprising.

And you were being facetious because you have no other response to the points I made that counter your stupid posts.

Keep being you  ThumbsUp

I wasn't belittling you. I was merely pointing out that you misread my statement. If I wanted to belittle you I'd have called you a demeaning name ... Something like 'Little fella'.

I think it's kind of dumb to debate whose fans are less ruly (which you should be glad of, since the data YOU provided suggests it's actually the Bengals). I'm not going to pretend otherwise.

But if that's how you want to spend your time, go for it. Just do it with someone else.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 01:16 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: I wasn't belittling you. I was merely pointing out that you misread my statement. If I wanted to belittle you I'd have called you a demeaning name ... Something like 'Little fella'.

I think it's kind of dumb to debate whose fans are less ruly (which you should be glad of, since the data YOU provided suggests it's actually the Bengals). I'm not going to pretend otherwise.

But if that's how you want to spend your time, go for it. Just do it with someone else.

False.

You tried to say that I didn’t understand your simple statement, meaning that you think I’m stupid and that my opinions are unimportant or stupid and, thus, belittling me.

I have no clue how I’m still shocked by Steelers fans.....
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 10:23 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Keep telling yourself that, little fella  ThumbsUp

See above  ThumbsUp

That does make a huge difference, though. In the case of the Bengals and Steelers, however, the Steelers only average 400 more fans per game than the Bengals. 

In the case of the Raiders, however,  they have been in the bottom 5 for attendance during every year of that study, so that makes it even worse compared to the Giants or Jets who have more fans (partially because of their market and partially because of their large stadium). 

One suggestion a Bengals fan site makes is that Pittsburgh's "zero tolerance" policy inflates arrest numbers. 

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/11/2/13489830/how-to-get-arrested-at-an-nfl-game-2016-study-washington-post
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 02:17 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: False.

You tried to say that I didn’t understand your simple statement, meaning that you think I’m stupid and that my opinions are unimportant or stupid and, thus, belittling me.

I have no clue how I’m still shocked by Steelers fans.....

I said you didn't get that I was being facetious, which you didn't.  Read into it all you want, but that's all I meant.

In this conversation (and many others), you continue to assume (incorrectly) that you know my motives, and when I inform you that you're wrong about what's going on in MY head, you double down. 

I'll bet you're a ton of fun at parties ...  Sarcasm

Seriously man, here's some life advice:  Don't spend too much time trying to figure out what other people are thinking.  Take them at face value more often. You'll save yourself a lot of unnecessary grief.  
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 10:25 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, but 2 of those 3 were Stooler fans. Mellow

Cincy is Heinz Field West and we do travel well. Best fans in the nation, baby! Woohoo! Six rings! Kiss em! 

(waiting for you know who to take this post seriously)
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 04:50 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Cincy is Heinz Field West and we do travel well. Best fans in the nation, baby! Woohoo! Six rings! Kiss em! 

(waiting for you know who to take this post seriously)

Yes, yes.....the bandwagon has been quite reliable. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 05:54 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, yes.....the bandwagon has been quite reliable. Mellow

I don't think you are "you know who".   
Reply/Quote