Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the Browns now a threat for us to contend with?
(03-14-2018, 06:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I just wonder how much that affects their draft plans?  

I had read that they wanted to sign Solder, but he's now with the Giants.  Is the Hyde signing an indication that they will go QB with the first pick, rather than Barkley, which everyone thought they were taking?

This all really does make for some intriguing offseason soap opera speculation.

No doubt. I'm guessing that the Hyde signing shows that they're taking their QB at #1 and hoping Barkley slides to them at #4. Hyde would be insurance in case someone actually takes Barkley before that #4 pick.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Doubt the browns draft Barkley especially if they can get Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Edmunds, Smith, or James at 4. Personally if I am the Browns I trade the first pick and get a ton of picks in return. People overrate the QBs it's not how good they are it's how good the players around them are.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 03:03 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Doubt the browns draft Barkley especially if they can get Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Edmunds, Smith, or James at 4. Personally if I am the Browns I trade the first pick and get a ton of picks in return. People overrate the QBs it's not how good they are it's how good the players around them are.

That's funny.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 06:50 AM)McC Wrote: That's funny.

Dude Nick Foles just beat Tom Brady in a super bowl, Eli Manning has won two Superbowls,  Joe Flaco has a Superbowl victory to his name, and Ben Roethlisberger won a Superbowl while throwing 17 TDs to 15 Int in a season. Point being aberave QBs win championships all the time not sure why you find that funny?
J24

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 05:17 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Dude Nick Foles just beat Tom Brady in a super bowl, Eli Manning has won two Superbowls,  Joe Flaco has a Superbowl victory to his name, and Ben Roethlisberger won a Superbowl while throwing 17 TDs to 15 Int in a season. Point being aberave QBs win championships all the time not sure why you find that funny?

Foles played his ass off.  He had to.  You have to have either stellar, and I mean stellar, defense or very good QB play in the SB to win the SB.  It can be a guy on the roll of his career, like Foles was.  If your QB sukks in the SB, you will not win unless your defense is smothering, and that doesn't happen much. 

There's a reason 29 SB MVP's have been QB's, including the most recent, four out of the last six, seven out of the last ten.  That proves how much it is about the QB.   It doesn't have to be an elite QB but it does have to be a guy playing well.  You have a lousy QB, chances are you have a lousy team.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 06:58 PM)McC Wrote: Foles played his ass off.  He had to.  You have to have either stellar, and I mean stellar, defense or very good QB play in the SB to win the SB.  It can be a guy on the roll of his career, like Foles was.  If your QB sukks in the SB, you will not win unless your defense is smothering, and that doesn't happen much. 

There's a reason 29 SB MVP's have been QB's, including the most recent, four out of the last six, seven out of the last ten.  That proves how much it is about the QB.   It doesn't have to be an elite QB but it does have to be a guy playing well.  You have a lousy QB, chances are you have a lousy team.
Well if the QB is lousy then yeah you're right the team won't win but you don't need an elite player at that position to be a constant championship contender. Also the best thing you can do for a QB is put great players around him.
J24

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 07:12 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Well if the QB is lousy then yeah you're right the team won't win but you don't need an elite player at that position to be a constant championship contender. Also the best thing you can do for a QB is put great players around him.

If you have a guy who at the very least is not the reason you lose, a guy who can at least hold up his end, and you put a really good team around him, you can win that way.  It's just a lot harder to do.  A stifling defense always help, but even Denver showed how hard it is to win without a decent QB.  He's the one guy who can lower the number of good players you have to have around him, i.e. Tom Brady.

Reply/Quote
Gulp. Browns about to land Odell Beckham Jr.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I predict the Browns take a QB at both #1 and #4.

Let them fight it out in camp. Pick a winner and never let the loser play so that other teams can see how bad he is. then trade the loser for a bunch of picks based on his perceived value at the time he was a top 4 pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 05:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I predict the Browns take a QB at both #1 and #4.

Let them fight it out in camp.  Pick a winner and never let the loser play so that other teams can see how bad he is.  then trade the loser for a bunch of picks based on his perceived value at the time he was a top 4 pick.

Cowboys picked 2 QBs #1 overall and #2 supplemental draft, in 1989 - which turned out they had to forfeit the #1 overall pick of 1990 draft.

Could it happen? Maybe.
Will it happen? No.

But they could pick one later in the draft.

A Pittsburgh talking head made a comment that Bengals and Ravens are on the way down and Cleveland is on the way up. Until they get a QB, LT, Secondary, RB, TE, DT, etc., they are going nowhere.

Reply/Quote
Oh boy...if the browns get Odell
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
The Browns are always a threat for the Bengals, Steelers, and Ravens. Just one loss in the AFC North can mean the division title.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 06:36 PM)Trademark Wrote: Oh boy...if the browns get Odell

They would have to give up a ton of picks and probably Josh Gordon. Let them
J24

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 07:12 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Well if the QB is lousy then yeah you're right the team won't win but you don't need an elite player at that position to be a constant championship contender. Also the best thing you can do for a QB is put great players around him.

here is the problem with that statement.. there are not that many great elite players as a whole and especially on the same team.. This is the chicken and egg debate.. You have teams win with both ( elite Qb with so so team and a so so Qb with an elite team) but in the end most go with trying for a stud Qb since pretty much every snap on offense that QB touches the ball before any other player.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 07:12 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: They would have to give up a ton of picks and probably Josh Gordon. Let them

They have a ton of picks and Josh Gordon might get suspended for years on end again.  
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 05:35 PM)jj22 Wrote: Gulp. Browns about to land Odell Beckham Jr.

No they aren’t. I was watching nfl network earlier too and it was a hypothetical tweet sent out by an nfl network staff member about the browns trading for him using their 4th and 33rd picks. Jarvis Landry, for good reason,then tweeted out interest in it happening. None of that in any way lends support to the browns being “about to land Odell Beckham jr.”

Reply/Quote
The Browns are no threat to anyone. I hope they do land Odell Beckham Jr. so I can see William Jackson III blow his ass up.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 12:31 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: What did I say about the Defense that wasn't right? We have a beast line, we have one all pro LB,  we have two very upcoming  CBs , and a good Safety pairing.

None of it was right. You're delusional.

The Bengals Dline hasn't been "beast" in 2+ years. Hence the DLine's sack total being garbage. I think they were last in the league in 2016 and didn't set the world on fire in 2017, either. They also couldnt stop the run to save their lives last year.

1 stud lb who misses 1/3rd of the season or more on the regular + Lawson doesn't make up for 4 other lost scrubs.

Up and coming CBs aren't verifiably outstanding players. They're potential. One of those "up and comers" has been here for 4+ seasons and finally showed up some in a contract year after being hurt all the time and never seeing the field. When will he be officially "here"? Not to mention DreK getting pooped on doesn't help.

"Good safety pairing"? I guess if by good you mean not good at all and below average. Horrible at turn overs. Horrible at run support.

Your take on the defense is as funny as your notion that talent at the QB position is overrated. Dude, it's the most important position by miles. At this point, I'm pretty sure you're a red headed kid who started watching football in 2011. It's the only way to explain your take on some of this stuff.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 11:04 PM)PDub80 Wrote: None of it was right. You're delusional.

The Bengals Dline hasn't been "beast" in 2+ years. Hence the DLine's sack total being garbage. I think they were last in the league in 2016 and didn't set the world on fire in 2017, either. They also couldnt stop the run to save their lives last year.

1 stud lb who misses 1/3rd of the season or more on the regular + Lawson doesn't make up for 4 other lost scrubs.

Up and coming CBs aren't verifiably outstanding players. They're potential. One of those "up and comers" has been here for 4+ seasons and finally showed up some in a contract year after being hurt all the time and never seeing the field. When will he be officially "here"? Not to mention DreK getting pooped on doesn't help.

"Good safety pairing"? I guess if by good you mean not good at all and below average. Horrible at turn overs. Horrible at run support.

Your take on the defense is as funny as your notion that talent at the QB position is overrated. Dude, it's the most important position by miles. At this point, I'm pretty sure you're a red headed kid who started watching football in 2011. It's the only way to explain your take on some of this stuff.
1.) Our defense was ranked 11th in sacks with 41 last year how is that Garbage? 
2.) 1 that stud might be the best LB in the game and 2 why doesn't Lawson count again simply because it goes against your point? By the way I am on the bandwagon for drafting a LB in the first RD. RD. Preston Brown should be a solid addition to the core.
3.) What? 
4.) Yeah our safeties are solid not sure what you are watching. Would I like to see more play making sure but there not bad at all. 
5.) If my opinion on QBs is so bad then why have 2 out of the last 3 Superbowl winners been a broken down QB and a backup QB. If my opinion on QBs is so bad then can you answer me why does Eli Manning have the same amount of Titles as Peyton Manning? Why does Terry Bradshaw have the same amount of Titles as Joe Montana? Why does Jeff Hostileter have more titles than Dan Marino?  History has shown that teams with Average QBs win Superbowls all the time not sure how you missed that?
J24

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 11:04 PM)PDub80 Wrote: None of it was right. You're delusional.

Knock off the personal shots. No call for that.

To your points, I think you're taking a pretty extreme stance on the defense. They were actually 11th in sacks with 41.0, which is a very healthy total. The run defense was abysmal, that I'll grant you. Pass defense slipped some, but remained pretty solid (8th in yards, 13th in passer rating allowed). 

I won't get into evaluating the entire defensive roster, but we have a nice mix of talented vets and young players. Overall, it wasn't the top 8 defense we're used to seeing, but we were 16th and 18th in points allowed and yards respectively. We're not talking about some bottom of the barrel defense.

They had a few major issues (stopping the run and 3rd downs were at the top) but a few moves could have these guys back in the top 10. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote