Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the Browns now a threat for us to contend with?
(03-13-2018, 10:53 AM)Wyche Wrote: Lots of teams practice this......but I get your point.

That we did.....but some of that stuff about the defense was just too much man.....sorry.  Also, I'm not giving the Browns all the credit in the world, I'm just pointing out that they are making some moves, and may be on the rise.

Yeah, I really don't understand how saying "Taylor is an improvement, Landry is a good signing, and with a good draft, they may win some ballgames in a couple years" is suddenly anointing them the next world champion.

Exactly.

What did I say about the Defense that wasn't right? We have a beast line, we have one all pro LB,  we have two very upcoming  CBs , and a good Safety pairing.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I still see Browns at best 6-10 next year, but their fans should be happy with that after last 2 seasons. If/when Browns get a real QB (still not ready to anoint Tyrod Taylor as the answer to their problems), the Browns could run the AFC North when Big Ben retires in 2019 or 2020. Bengals could be right there with them if they get OL fixed and retain key parts such at Atkins and Dunlap with extensions.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 12:31 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: What did I say about the Defense that wasn't right? We have a beast line, we have one all pro LB,  we have two very upcoming  CBs , and a good Safety pairing.

I guess I read it wrong....the d-line, when utilizing the proper personnel, is pretty good.....the LB core is not very good, aside from 55....the two CBs look to be finally getting their shot, so agree.....but I'm not sold on the S position.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 12:35 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: I still see Browns at best 6-10 next year, but their fans should be happy with that after last 2 seasons.  If/when Browns get a real QB (still not ready to anoint Tyrod Taylor as the answer to their problems), the Browns could run the AFC North when Big Ben retires in 2019 or 2020.  Bengals could be right there with them if they get OL fixed and retain key parts such at Atkins and Dunlap with extensions.

Yep, I say 7 wins is the ceiling, and that's a pretty drastic improvement.  Taylor is not the answer to their problems, but he'll keep them at least somewhat competitive, in my opinion.  Adding Landry was a solid move too.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 12:39 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, I say 7 wins is the ceiling, and that's a pretty drastic improvement.  Taylor is not the answer to their problems, but he'll keep them at least somewhat competitive, in my opinion.  Adding Landry was a solid move too.

I'd be nothing short of floored if the Browns don't have Tylenol Taylor playing for 4-16 games in front of Sam Darnold next season.  Taylor isn't the long-term answer, but he's the short-term answer to the questions:

1.  how do we win more than 0 games?
2.  who is a safe vet QB and noted good teammate we can play while a rookie learns?
3.  how can we convince FA's to come to a team that won 1 game in 2 seasons?

Again, we saw Jon Kitna, Marvin Lewis, and Carson Palmer combine to pull this team out of over 10 losing years in a row. The Browns have a vet QB who is a great teammate (ala Kitna), can draft a top QB (from USC, no less) in Darnold, and they've grabbed successful coordinators in Hue and Haley from rival teams in the division (like we did with Marvin). What is so unbelievable here?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd be nothing short of floored if the Browns don't have Tylenol Taylor playing for 4-16 games in front of Sam Darnold next season.  Taylor isn't the long-term answer, but he's the short-term answer to the questions:

1.  how do we win more than 0 games?
2.  who is a safe vet QB and noted good teammate we can play while a rookie learns?
3.  how can we convince FA's to come to a team that won 1 game in 2 seasons?

Again, we saw Jon Kitna, Marvin Lewis, and Carson Palmer combine to pull this team out of over 10 losing years in a row.  The Browns have a vet QB who is a great teammate (ala Kitna), can draft a top QB (from USC, no less) in Darnold, and they've grabbed successful coordinators in Hue and Haley from rival teams in the division (like we did with Marvin).  What is so unbelievable here?

You're exactly right Nately.....I can't see anything that is out of the realm of possibility here.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: You're exactly right Nately.....I can't see anything that is out of the realm of possibility here.

The Browns could still be awful for the next 5+ years and I wouldn't be too amazed, but unlike the Quinn, Weeden, Trent Richardson, Justin Gilbert, Manziel-led reboots I won't hold failure against them this time.  There is still time, but this (so far) looks like the first Browns rebuild that doesn't have a whole lot of red flags surrounding it...yet.  Time will tell.
Reply/Quote
Oh snap!  Brownies ink Carlos Hyde!

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 07:53 AM)McC Wrote: Right.  That was dumb too.  They wasted a year of his career for no good reason. 

I felt differently. With the way Palmer played for most of the 2004 season, it seemed obvious he needed the seasoning.

In the meantime, Kitna had a great year.

(03-14-2018, 05:09 PM)Wyche Wrote: Oh snap!  Brownies ink Carlos Hyde!

Solid get for them. Losing Joe Thomas hurts though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 05:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Solid get for them. Losing Joe Thomas hurts though.

I just wonder how much that affects their draft plans?  

I had read that they wanted to sign Solder, but he's now with the Giants.  Is the Hyde signing an indication that they will go QB with the first pick, rather than Barkley, which everyone thought they were taking?

This all really does make for some intriguing offseason soap opera speculation.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 06:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I just wonder how much that affects their draft plans?  

I had read that they wanted to sign Solder, but he's now with the Giants.  Is the Hyde signing an indication that they will go QB with the first pick, rather than Barkley, which everyone thought they were taking?

This all really does make for some intriguing offseason soap opera speculation.

That's how I take it. Hyde fills that spot well. Maybe this is the year I won't feel sorry for whatever QB they pick. Whoever that is just might be walking into a legit competitive scenario!
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 06:27 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: That's how I take it. Hyde fills that spot well. Maybe this is the year I won't feel sorry for whatever QB they pick. Whoever that is just might be walking into a legit competitive scenario!

I hope it means they won't take Barkley.  Do not want to be chasing that guy around twice a year.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 06:30 PM)McC Wrote: I hope it means they won't take Barkley.  Do not want to be chasing that guy around twice a year.

Yeah, well despite how well I think Hyde will do, I wouldn't be real surprised if the Browns drafted Barkley anyway, especially if he makes to 4. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 06:35 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Yeah, well despite how well I think Hyde will do, I wouldn't be real surprised if the Browns drafted Barkley anyway, especially if he makes to 4. 

It's one or done.  He will not make it past both the Giants and the Colts.  Or an out of the blue trade up.  Cannot see them getting two shots at him.  Or could just be me hoping against hope.  Please not in our division.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
I think the Browns traded for Tyrod so Hue would shut the hell up about McCarron.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 06:38 PM)McC Wrote: It's one or done.  He will not make it past both the Giants and the Colts.  Or an out of the blue trade up.  Cannot see them getting two shots at him.  Or could just be me hoping against hope.  Please not in our division.

Yup.....I think they take Barkley with Hyde as relief/insurance.  They have a ginormous cap space. Why not?

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 07:21 PM)McC Wrote: I think the Browns traded for Tyrod so Hue would shut the hell up about McCarron.

I think didn't know they could get Taylor.  

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 08:53 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yup.....I think they take Barkley with Hyde as relief/insurance.  They have a ginormous cap space. Why not?

Agreed. Hyde is getting $6 million of his $15 million in the first year. With all of their cap space, I could see this being a one year deal for the Browns while Barkley gets acclimated to the NFL. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Poor Browns fans.. Imagine if they win, say 8 games or somewhere around that area.  They won't get their draft day super bowl anymore . After all ,number one pick in the draft IS the Browns fans super bowl..  Was ours for a good while as well . A small part of me was almost hoping we'd tank a few years and collect top draft picks too, but we kind of blew that when we did it.  In retrospect I'm glad we didn't go the tanking for draft picks route.  We coulda been Indy 2.0!   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 10:36 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, the Browns completely sold out the past 2 seasons in order to get more picks and higher picks.  It's amusing how every football fan laughs at how awful the Browns have been for the past 2 years (and rightly so), but every time their own NFL team dips 2 games below .500 they start wanting to tank in order to get a better pick (herein lies the hypocrisy).

Fans really seem to hate those seasons where you win 5-8 games and accomplish "nothing but ruining your draft pick" and I know we were debating for the past year on whether Bullock missing that kick and losing the Texans game was a good thing or not.  Well, the Browns went all-in on stinking, isn't that what any non-playoff team's fans want them to do?  

All the Browns do is throw the young guys and new QBs out there to see what they have in them and tank in order to get better draft picks while evaluating the young guys instead of playing the vets.  My lord,  you'd think they'd be the most popular team in the NFL the way fans kvetch about 7-win seasons and seeing ho-hum vets on the field!  The only thing left is for the to run the ball 60 times per game and they'd hit every fan demand there is.
I'll cop to almost hoping we tanked for picks..keyword :Almost , not quite.   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote