Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the Browns now a threat for us to contend with?
Has anyone pointed out that the browns are trying to spend up to the floor? Weren’t they still about 100 mil under the before these moves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 08:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that maybe...just maybe...they were planning to lose and compile picks. They hired baseball guys. What to they do in baseball (and the NBA)? Tank for great picks. Why didn't they fire Hue Jackson after he went 1-31 in two seasons? Probably because they knew the losing was part of the plan.

Yeah, the Browns completely sold out the past 2 seasons in order to get more picks and higher picks.  It's amusing how every football fan laughs at how awful the Browns have been for the past 2 years (and rightly so), but every time their own NFL team dips 2 games below .500 they start wanting to tank in order to get a better pick (herein lies the hypocrisy).

Fans really seem to hate those seasons where you win 5-8 games and accomplish "nothing but ruining your draft pick" and I know we were debating for the past year on whether Bullock missing that kick and losing the Texans game was a good thing or not.  Well, the Browns went all-in on stinking, isn't that what any non-playoff team's fans want them to do?  

All the Browns do is throw the young guys and new QBs out there to see what they have in them and tank in order to get better draft picks while evaluating the young guys instead of playing the vets.  My lord,  you'd think they'd be the most popular team in the NFL the way fans kvetch about 7-win seasons and seeing ho-hum vets on the field! The only thing left is for the to run the ball 60 times per game and they'd hit every fan demand there is.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 08:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Heard on the radio that they traded a 3rd rounder for Tyrod Taylor, and also made a trade for Jarvis Landry.

If they draft Barkley and Chubb? Whew boy.

That's what I keep trying to tell people.  They have a lot of bargaining chips AND a competent NFL GM.  FAs are skittish?  No problem, we'll trade for them.  Hit the draft?  This team could make some noise in a couple seasons.  Maybe sooner than that.  

Meanwhile, we're stuck in 2nd gear with tweedle dee and tweedle dumb and the good ol annual FA dumpster dive. I'm PUMPED! LOL

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 09:58 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ida know man...the Browns have earned ever bit of skepticism sure, but the Browns have a zillion picks, the first overall pick, the fourth overall pick, a front office of people who have actual NFL experience/success, and...this may be the biggest point, we're coming off back to back losing seasons.

This might be a little different than the time when we were winning 10+ games per year and the Browns drafted Johnny Fartball.  Might, being the key word.

Pretty much this.  As I stated in the "who will win a playoff game first" thread, if the Brownies can get a stop gap vet QB (check), make another move or two in FA for talented players (check), and draft a QB to groom (yet to be seen), they could soon make some noise.  This isn't Sashi Brown running that show anymore.....and they have two very good coordinators on the staff now.  

Meanwhile......it's the Mike and Merv love fest in Cincy. Sick

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 11:31 AM)Wyche Wrote: Pretty much this.  As I stated in the "who will win a playoff game first" thread, if the Brownies can get a stop gap vet QB (check), make another move or two in FA for talented players (check), and draft a QB to groom (yet to be seen), they could soon make some noise.  This isn't Sashi Brown running that show anymore.....and they have two very good coordinators on the staff now.  

Dude don't worry about the browns till they win more than 1 game a season
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 10:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, my son is a die hard Browns guy, as much as I'm a Bengals guy.  He kept flooding me with all the Browns trade updates, all day long. (seemingly)

Like I told him, "Y'all gained one good player, and took two teams' trash off their hands".  

Sure, Haley seems like a big pickup for Cleveland, but he wasn't ran out of Pittsburgh for nothing.  They also were quick to snap up Zampeze, who we all agreed was garbage.  

Even with the draft picks, I put the over/under on Browns wins at 5.

He was ran out of Pitt because Pig Pen's vag was hurting......nothing more, nothing less.  That offense hummed.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 11:31 AM)Wyche Wrote: Pretty much this.  As I stated in the "who will win a playoff game first" thread, if the Brownies can get a stop gap vet QB (check), make another move or two in FA for talented players (check), and draft a QB to groom (yet to be seen), they could soon make some noise.  This isn't Sashi Brown running that show anymore.....and they have two very good coordinators on the staff now.  

Yup.  The Browns are perpetual failures and the skepticism is warranted, bottom line.  With that being said, they failed with a bunch of has-been, late round, and red flag late 1st round QBs and a baseball GM.  The Browns now have real NFL talent evaluators calling the shots and if they actually draft a good prospect QB and give it time and STILL fail, then I'll admit nothing works for them.

Even though it's the Browns, they're doing things that make sense (so far) and if they do things that make sense and they STILL fail I'll admit I'll be a bit surprised.  
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 11:34 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Dude don't worry about the browns till they win more than 1 game a season

I'm not "worried".....but don't think they're gonna continue to be an easy out for a shitty team like the Bengals either.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 11:39 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Yup.  The Browns are perpetual failures and the skepticism is warranted, bottom line.  With that being said, they failed with a bunch of has-been, late round, and red flag late 1st round QBs and a baseball GM.  The Browns now have real NFL talent evaluators calling the shots and if they actually draft a good prospect QB and give it time and STILL fail, then I'll admit nothing works for them.

Even though it's the Browns, they're doing things that make sense (so far) and if they do things that make sense and they STILL fail I'll admit I'll be a bit surprised.  

Yes sir.  They did this rebuild right.  They torched the whole thing.....burnt it to the ground.  They came into this offseason with like 118 mil in cap space, a gluttony of draft picks to wheel and deal with, and a PROVEN GM that is a winner in this league.  I don't get why folks are laughing right now.  

We can't see the future, but these are aggressive, yet not over the top moves.  IF they can hit on some draft picks (helps when you don't draft INJURED PLAYERS in the first round), they have made the necessary supplemental moves in FA that a team should make.

Anyone supporting a team ran by the most incompetent boob of a GM in NFL history probably shouldn't laugh too hard.....

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 11:35 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote:  Also we have a beast Secondary, a beast Defensive line,  an all pro LB, A really great Wr, a good QB, and a good coach and GM combo in Lewis and Tolbin. Also two good RBs. All we need is a LB and a couple of decent offensive lineman and where in the thick of things. 
If the Bengals actually address their needs this off-season then they will be golden.

Hilarious LMAO Hilarious LMAO

[Image: 3QeZ.gif]

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 01:20 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Tyrod Taylor over the last 2 years: 15-14 with a playoff appearance
Bengals over the last 2 years: 13-18-1 

Not sure we should be laughing at Tyrod Taylor.

What's even funnier is dude said he'd be more worried about a guy that has played a grand total of what, 5 games?

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 08:52 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I’d take Landry at WR2 any day over LaFell. Dude has averaged 100 receptions, 1000 yards, and 5 TDS a year in his career. Two of those years were in Bill Lazor’s offense, so he’d fit right in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.....and it's a move like this that the Bengals should make, but won't......and continue to wallow in mediocrity.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 10:36 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, the Browns completely sold out the past 2 seasons in order to get more picks and higher picks.  It's amusing how every football fan laughs at how awful the Browns have been for the past 2 years (and rightly so), but every time their own NFL team dips 2 games below .500 they start wanting to tank in order to get a better pick (herein lies the hypocrisy).

Fans really seem to hate those seasons where you win 5-8 games and accomplish "nothing but ruining your draft pick" and I know we were debating for the past year on whether Bullock missing that kick and losing the Texans game was a good thing or not.  Well, the Browns went all-in on stinking, isn't that what any non-playoff team's fans want them to do?  

All the Browns do is throw the young guys and new QBs out there to see what they have in them and tank in order to get better draft picks while evaluating the young guys instead of playing the vets.  My lord,  you'd think they'd be the most popular team in the NFL the way fans kvetch about 7-win seasons and seeing ho-hum vets on the field!  The only thing left is for the to run the ball 60 times per game and they'd hit every fan demand there is.

Honestly, I love (hate?) how the Browns have been doing things. It's definitely outside the box for an NFL team. I've never seen an NFL team so obviously tank before. Maybe the Colts in the suck for Luck year, but not over multiple seasons, trading for picks and loading up on top ones.

(03-12-2018, 11:08 AM)Wyche Wrote: That's what I keep trying to tell people.  They have a lot of bargaining chips AND a competent NFL GM.  FAs are skittish?  No problem, we'll trade for them.  Hit the draft?  This team could make some noise in a couple seasons.  Maybe sooner than that.  

Meanwhile, we're stuck in 2nd gear with tweedle dee and tweedle dumb and the good ol annual FA dumpster dive.  I'm PUMPED! LOL

I've never been one of those "this is the year things turn around" guys when talking about the Browns, but this time is different. The Browns look like they've had a master plan for 3 years and now it's all kicking into gear. QB went from being a major problem, to being pretty much solved a year later (assuming Taylor is a stopgap for a Josh Allen). Mediocre run game? Enter Barkley (most likely). Corey Coleman was a bust? No problem, lets trade for a 3 time Pro Bowl WR.

That team is going to be unrecognizable this year. Haley and Hue with all those weapons and a competent QB? 

(03-12-2018, 11:39 AM)Wyche Wrote: He was ran out of Pitt because Pig Pen's vag was hurting......nothing more, nothing less.  That offense hummed.

Exactly. Offense scores 42 against (easily) the best pass defense in the NFL while the defense allows 45? They fire the OC. Smh. Their loss.

(03-12-2018, 11:54 AM)Wyche Wrote: What's even funnier is dude said he'd be more worried about a guy that has played a grand total of what, 5 games?

...with a 2-3 record on a far superior team. All Taylor did was lead the Bills to their first playoff spot in like 17 years.

51 TDs to 16 INTs for his career. Not saying he's great, but he's the best QB they've had since Kosar. Someone mentioned Jeff Garcia, but I guess they forgot Garcia was bad with the Browns.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 01:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Honestly, I love (hate?) how the Browns have been doing things. It's definitely outside the box for an NFL team. I've never seen an NFL team so obviously tank before. Maybe the Colts in the suck for Luck year, but not over multiple seasons, trading for picks and loading up on top ones.

I've never been one of those "this is the year things turn around" guys when talking about the Browns, but this time is different. The Browns look like they've had a master plan for 3 years and now it's all kicking into gear. QB went from being a major problem, to being pretty much solved a year later (assuming Taylor is a stopgap for a Josh Allen). Mediocre run game? Enter Barkley (most likely). Corey Coleman was a bust? No problem, lets trade for a 3 time Pro Bowl WR.

That team is going to be unrecognizable this year. Haley and Hue with all those weapons and a competent QB? 

Exactly. Offense scores 42 against (easily) the best pass defense in the NFL while the defense allows 45? They fire the OC. Smh. Their loss.

...with a 2-3 record on a far superior team. All Taylor did was lead the Bills to their first playoff spot in like 17 years.

51 TDs to 16 INTs for his career. Not saying he's great, but he's the best QB they've had since Kosar. Someone mentioned Jeff Garcia, but I guess they forgot Garcia was bad with the Browns.

Yeah, I don't think this will be "their year" by any stretch of the imagination......but this is the first time I've seen some actual competent moves to get better in long time.  Time will tell, but if they hit on their QB in the draft, things could be looking up far quicker than I ever would have imagined.  I think the Dorsey hire was key for them.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 11:46 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yes sir.  They did this rebuild right.  They torched the whole thing.....burnt it to the ground.  They came into this offseason with like 118 mil in cap space, a gluttony of draft picks to wheel and deal with, and a PROVEN GM that is a winner in this league.  I don't get why folks are laughing right now.  

We can't see the future, but these are aggressive, yet not over the top moves.  IF they can hit on some draft picks (helps when you don't draft INJURED PLAYERS in the first round), they have made the necessary supplemental moves in FA that a team should make.

Anyone supporting a team ran by the most incompetent boob of a GM in NFL history probably shouldn't laugh too hard.....

This is spot on. Maybe the Browns continue to flounder, but they played their cards perfectly and have themselves set up to turn things around. They're going for it and pushing their chips out on the table. They feel they are close and can be competitive and they're making their move.

Mike Brown doesn't like rebuilds, we do re-tools. Which, like the Reds, is the half ass way to do things. Move some pieces, but keep a couple of names to hopefully keep people showing up. Our "re-tool" will probably take several seasons with the way Mike Brown does things. Rely almost exclusively on the draft, keep too much for injuries, rollover millions each season, sign scrubs from outside, and extend a couple of your own and call it day. The Mike Brown way is why we may be stuck in the middle or bottom half for a few more seasons. No urgency, no immediate impact, always looking to the future.

I'm not saying the Browns are going to be in the playoffs, but I don't expect to sweep them again this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 01:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Honestly, I love (hate?) how the Browns have been doing things. It's definitely outside the box for an NFL team. I've never seen an NFL team so obviously tank before. Maybe the Colts in the suck for Luck year, but not over multiple seasons, trading for picks and loading up on top ones.

I agree with you and Wyche on everything you two have said over the last couple of hours. They might have had a 3-5 year plan on building this team, finding the right people to run it, gathering high picks and good FA. I'm not laughing at them, still don't like them, but they are going in the right direction.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 02:15 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: This is spot on. Maybe the Browns continue to flounder, but they played their cards perfectly and have themselves set up to turn things around. They're going for it and pushing their chips out on the table. They feel they are close and can be competitive and they're making their move.

Mike Brown doesn't like rebuilds, we do re-tools. Which, like the Reds, is the half ass way to do things. Move some pieces, but keep a couple of names to hopefully keep people showing up. Our "re-tool" will probably take several seasons with the way Mike Brown does things. Rely almost exclusively on the draft, keep too much for injuries, rollover millions each season, sign scrubs from outside, and extend a couple of your own and call it day. The Mike Brown way is why we may be stuck in the middle or bottom half for a few more seasons. No urgency, no immediate impact, always looking to the future.

I'm not saying the Browns are going to be in the playoffs, but I don't expect to sweep them again this year.

Absolutely agree.  Time will tell if the moves pay off, but they set themselves up for a strong push if they hit on the next couple of drafts.  One thing I really like about their process is they went out and shored up the offensive line first.  On the other hand, we "don't value those positions".

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 02:15 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I agree with you and Wyche on everything you two have said over the last couple of hours. They might have had a 3-5 year plan on building this team, finding the right people to run it, gathering high picks and good FA. I'm not laughing at them, still don't like them, but they are going in the right direction.

The sad part is, we could be too, and in a better spot starting out to boot.  Hoping the deal with Pacman is a sign of things changing a bit in regards to restructuring deals.  If they'd do that, and get a good FA or too to augment, they could turn it around quickly.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 02:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: Absolutely agree.  Time will tell if the moves pay off, but they set themselves up for a strong push if they hit on the next couple of drafts.  One thing I really like about their process is they went out and shored up the offensive line first.  On the other hand, we "don't value those positions".

IMO, the only thing they've done wrong is waste their time on Tyrod.  And it's got nothing to do with my opinion of him per se.  I just hate the whole sit a rookie QB for a year policy.  Why waste a year of his career having him watch and then have him still have to learn by playing but now he's lost a year?

Draft him.  Play him.  Now, in his second year, he knows a lot more of what he's doing.  He's gonna have to sukk either way.  Have him suck as a rookie.  Why on earth does an 0-16 team need a place holder?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Browns going after Nate Solder depending on if Thomas retires per sources. And one of the teams that can afford Suh.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote