Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the Browns now a threat for us to contend with?
(03-10-2018, 01:42 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: The dude was benched last year, holds on to the Ball to much, and he doesn't take any chances. He is a less talented Alex Smith. Is he an improvement over Kiser yeah but again that doesn't say much. There a team that needs a lot of work good for the GM for making some moves but there is a lot that needs to get done.

Nobody said Taylor is an all-pro. I said he's a competent game manager who can win with a run game behind him. 

Btw, the guy is 3-2 against the Bengals. 

(03-10-2018, 01:59 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: He is a check down Charlie who holds the ball too long.   He is Flacco but holds the ball longer.

He's nothing like Flacco.

Flacco: Pocket passer who throws the ball 600+ times every year. 40 INT's over last 3 years. Not a running threat.
Taylor: Game manager who throws around 400 times per year. Only 16 INT's over last 3 years. Big time running threat.

As for the check down stuff...

Percentage of passes thrown that traveled 10 yards or less:

Aaron Rodgers- 73.1%
Alex Smith- 72.3%
Drew Brees- 71.4%
Joe Flacco- 69.2%
Tyrod Taylor- 66.4%
Kirk Cousins- 64.3%
Matt Stafford- 64.2%

Maybe Taylor wasn't checking down as much as you thought?

(03-10-2018, 08:48 AM)kevin Wrote: Whew boy. They lost every game in 2017.  Whew boy. Stinky. Smells Brown, Flush It Down. Stinky.  Lost every game in 2017.  Every year the Browns STINK.  Every off season we hear Browns are going to go from STINK to SUPER BOWL.  The truth is Browns have a long way to go just to go from 0-16 to 7-9 record Bengals put up.  If you don't like 7-9, try 0-16 STINK.  Remember you don't live in Cleveland, and also be thankful.  0-16 Stink, Whew boy, Whew boy. Flush it down. 

Browns went 0-16. Got it.

(03-10-2018, 11:31 AM)McC Wrote: Correction--Shady McCoy the last two years: 15-14 with a playoff appearance.  Tyrod Taylor: hot garbage along for the ride, benched for the worst QB anybody ever saw.

So...he proved he can win with a running game. What would Barkley provide? Taylor is not "hot garbage"...that would be the guy they tried to replace him with. Hyperbole city, McC. You're better than that.

I remember when the Bengals were constantly trying to move on from Jeff Blake even though he wasn't the problem. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 12:05 PM)Housh Wrote: You say threat to us like we’re good or something

I didn't mean it that way, I assure you. I meant more as a "threat" to beat us. A threat in front of us in the division, to go along with the Steelers and Ravens.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I am not sure why buffalo hates him so much. He seems to have done what they ask him to do. Is he elite? No. But they botched his whole contract thing.

I was speaking with a neighbor of mine who is a buffalo fan. I had mentioned some Bengal fans were floating the idea of buffalo trading for dalton. He said ad is garbage and he'd rather have tyrod, fwiw
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 12:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Nobody said Taylor is an all-pro. I said he's a competent game manager who can win with a run game behind him. 

Flacco: Pocket passer who throws the ball 600+ times every year. 40 INT's over last 3 years. Not a running threat.
Taylor: Game manager who throws around 400 times per year. Only 16 INT's over last 3 years. Big time running threat.

Aaron Rodgers- 73.1%
Alex Smith- 72.3%
Drew Brees- 71.4%
Joe Flacco- 69.2%
Tyrod Taylor- 66.4%
Kirk Cousins- 64.3%
Matt Stafford- 64.2%

So...he proved he can win with a running game. What would Barkley provide? Taylor is not "hot garbage"...that would be the guy they tried to replace him with. Hyperbole city, McC. You're better than that.

I remember when the Bengals were constantly trying to move on from Jeff Blake even though he wasn't the problem. 
You did see how, in a playoff game there for the taking, he stunk to high heaven, right?  I have no fear of Tyrod fricking Taylor.  If I'm the Browns, I draft a QB and hand him the keys.  Can't see any conceivable reason why an 0-16 team would even bother with a place holder QB.  And that's what Taylor is, a guy to play the spot until a real QB comes along.

And as to being 3-2 against us, I say their defense is 3-2 against us and he was along for the ride. He's a bum.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 01:03 PM)McC Wrote: You did see how, in a playoff game there for the taking, he stunk to high heaven, right?  I have no fear of Tyrod fricking Taylor.  If I'm the Browns, I draft a QB and hand him the keys.  Can't see any conceivable reason why an 0-16 team would even bother with a place holder QB.  And that's what Taylor is, a guy to play the spot until a real QB comes along.

And as to being 3-2 against us, I say their defense is 3-2 against us and he was along for the ride.  He's a bum.

The Bills defense and run game aren't enough to carry a shit QB, and no...he's not a bum. If you think he's a bum, then then what the hell do you call a Deshone Kizer? Yes, Taylor did have an awful game against the #1 pass defense (in both yards and rating) in the NFL. A lot of QB's sucked against the Jags last year. Not sure what that proves.
Reply/Quote
The browns will now draft Barkley #1, and get their QB with #4 who can now sit for a year behind Taylor. With a competant QB in place, a stud RB, and a WR corps of Landry, Coleman and Gordon, the browns O suddenly becomes much more effective.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 01:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Bills defense and run game aren't enough to carry a shit QB, and no...he's not a bum. If you think he's a bum, then then what the hell do you call a Deshone Kizer? Yes, Taylor did have an awful game against the #1 pass defense (in both yards and rating) in the NFL. A lot of QB's sucked against the Jags last year. Not sure what that proves.

Kizer was an uber bum.  Don't see how Kizer's sucking has anything to do with Talyor. 

But trading for Taylor is just plain dumb.  Draft a guy and go with it.  Why does an 0-16 team need a place holder?  Sitting a rookie for  a year is one of the dumbest ideas the league has ever come up with.  The only way to learn is to play.  All you're doing is wasting a year of his career because in year two, he is still a rookie.

And all Tybum had to do in the playoff game was complete a couple passes to guys who were open and he was too much of a bum to do it.  What it proves is that he will take no one anywhere.

Anyway, the Browns aren't going to be much of a threat as long as they have that anchor of a coach running the show.  We do have that working for us.  And they still have at least a year of learning how to win ahead of them.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 02:38 PM)Beaker Wrote: The browns will now draft Barkley #1, and get their QB with #4 who can now sit for a year behind Taylor. With a competant QB in place, a stud RB, and a WR corps of Landry, Coleman and Gordon, the browns O suddenly becomes much more effective.

Last year: Kizer (terrible), a crew of forgettable RB's, a couple games of rusty Josh Gordon, no other receivers.
This year: Taylor (decent), a beast RB, a full season of Josh Gordon, and a Pro Bowl WR on the other side.

Sure it's all on paper, but it should be a completely different offense this year. I'm thinking they'll resemble last years Jags, but with better receivers.
Reply/Quote
Everyone can make fun of the Browns for being the Browns all they want. Like it or not, there will be a season or more where they are better than us. Maybe it's 2018, maybe it's not. However, they're going for it. They are trying to step up to do what it takes to improve now. By now, I mean this coming season. Yes, it should be easy to improve on 0-16, but they're still doing something Mike Brown has never done. They're throwing their chips on the table and trying to go into win now mode.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 02:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Last year: Kizer (terrible), a crew of forgettable RB's, a couple games of rusty Josh Gordon, no other receivers.
This year: Taylor (decent), a beast RB, a full season of Josh Gordon, and a Pro Bowl WR on the other side.

Sure it's all on paper, but it should be a completely different offense this year. I'm thinking they'll resemble last years Jags, but with better receivers.

I tend to agree with your thinking Shake.   Landry is a very good receiver, and should combine nicely with the outside threats that have the potential to improve this year.   And Joe Thomas has already come out and enthusiastically endorsed the Taylor acquisition.   They've been slowly putting together a fine offensive line and they are getting rid of the deadwood.

And what this means to me is that they have a GM who knows what he's doing and is on the same page with the head coach.

Pretty good prescription for success I'd say.   At the worst they build a foundation for a franchise quarterback and look to get to around .500 this year.

At best they look like they are following the script that Philadelphia, Jacksonville and the Rams have been benefitting from - with a pretty quick turn around.

I'm not convinced but they have my attention
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 08:52 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I’d take Landry at WR2 any day over LaFell. Dude has averaged 100 receptions, 1000 yards, and 5 TDS a year in his career. Two of those years were in Bill Lazor’s offense, so he’d fit right in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over laffell no shit. I still like what we have in Boyd though and Ross will be good to. I like our team a lot except the offensive line and maybe LB. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 02:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Last year: Kizer (terrible), a crew of forgettable RB's, a couple games of rusty Josh Gordon, no other receivers.

If they cut Duke Johnson to make way for Barkley, I wouldn't mind seeing him brought in to replace Hill's roster spot.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 12:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Nobody said Taylor is an all-pro. I said he's a competent game manager who can win with a run game behind him. 

Aaron Rodgers- 73.1%
Alex Smith- 72.3%
Drew Brees- 71.4%
Joe Flacco- 69.2%
Tyrod Taylor- 66.4%
Kirk Cousins- 64.3%
Matt Stafford- 64.2%

How is he 3-2 against us when we have only played him 3 times?  We beat him twice once when he was in Baltimore and once while he was in Buffalo where are you getting the other 2 games. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 02:38 PM)Beaker Wrote: The browns will now draft Barkley #1, and get their QB with #4 who can now sit for a year behind Taylor. With a competant QB in place, a stud RB, and a WR corps of Landry, Coleman and Gordon, the browns O suddenly becomes much more effective.

Yeah.  If Gordon actually keeps his shit together, then it's a nice group.  He's still the best weapon on that team if he's available.  That's a big if, though.  Gordon and the quarterback decision will loom large for that team.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 03:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If they cut Duke Johnson to make way for Barkley, I wouldn't mind seeing him brought in to replace Hill's roster spot.

Dude, I would be stoked with that move. I feel DJ has a lot of talent and motivation. We could have our Burkhead/Leonard type player we always love watching. A work horse.

Reply/Quote
Hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha....
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 10:19 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I've heard both sides of the argument and it sounds logical both ways.  Still, I can see letting other teams dictate what QB you get as being a bad move for a franchise that's started 30 of them in 20 years or so. 

True that. I would argue that any one of the Top 5 QB’s this year, plus Saquan Barkley, plus their current roster, plus the rest of this year’s picks, plus all that cap space, plus a good GM is a far better situation than any of the Brown’s QB’s since Couch was drafted. We all know they’re the Browns but damn do they have a lot of capital right now.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 04:55 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: True that.  I would argue that any one of the Top 5 QB’s this year, plus Saquan Barkley, plus their current roster, plus the rest of this year’s picks, plus all that cap space, plus a good GM is a far better situation than any of the Brown’s QB’s since Couch was drafted.  We all know they’re the Browns but damn do they have a lot of capital right now.

I'm sure Barkley will be good, but how often are 2 QBs in a draft completely interchangeable much less 3 or more?
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 05:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm sure Barkley will be good, but how often are 2 QBs in a draft completely interchangeable much less 3 or more?

No one is interchangeable. Merely pointing out that there isn’t a clear best QB, and this year features 5 bona fide 1st rounders. All depends on what the Browns value. Pocket statue = Rosen, Dual threat= Jackson, upside with cannon = Allen, gamer with good overall game= Mayfield, semi-mobile QB w/ good arm and propensity for TO’s = Darnold
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
I see Taylor as a very solid bandaid for them to have a QB, until they can find a more permanent franchise guy if they can. And they are making other good moves as well in preparing for free agency and the draft. Assuming Gordon stays clean, him and Landry might be the best 2 receiver combo in the North. Bringing in a solid OC will help, as will their draft picks.

But overall I dont see them as a threat just yet to the Bengals. Then again the Bengals aren't a very good team, so for the Browns to be a threat, they just have to go from suck to almost average which might be possible, so who knows.

I guess this question will be better answered come after the draft and free agency. Regardless though, whether the Browns are a threat or not, I definitely dont see the Bengals a threat to win the Division just yet.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote