Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there any coaches who rival Marvin
As the the worst coach in NFL history? 

What other coach has spent 15 years with a franchise never to win a playoff game?

Does any coach have a worse record in playoff games?  Is there any other coach who played in 5 or more playoff games without winning at least one?

What other coach has such a lopsided record against their main rival in their division like Marvin's against the Steelers?

What other coach comes close to Marvin's abysmal record of home losses to his main rival?

What other coach can challenge Marvin's abysmal record in prime time?

Marvin Lewis leads in all the metrics for judging a bad coach. He is the Babe Ruth of losing NFL coaches. He can set records that will never be broken in this wonderful 50 year celebration of the Bengals franchise.

There are a lot of really knowledgeable people who post on this board and I would really be interested if anyone can name some other coach who can challenge Marvin for these great honors.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Playoff wise? No. No team gives a coach a chance to lose 7 playoff games without a win.

A lot of your criticisms speak to the complacency of the organization though. And said organization will be hard for any coach to win under.
Reply/Quote
Jim Mora is probably the closest at 10 years with one team with 0 wins in the playoffs.

Reply/Quote
Marvin isn't even competent enough to be a head coach at even the college level IMHO.
Reply/Quote
Whats his record coming off a bye week ? has too be bad can always remember myself complaining about this team looking bad coming off a bye throughout his tenure.
Reply/Quote
You can't disagree with his consistency though.

Mellow
Reply/Quote
Is their any coach who claps as much as him when his team is imploding ? Is their any coach who has giggled more than him in his press conferences then him after his team losses ? Any coach with worse team slogans then him ? " run on your own gas !!!
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 11:22 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Is their any coach who claps as much as him when his team is imploding ? Is their any coach who has giggled more than him in his press conferences then him after his team losses ? Any coach with worse team slogans then him ? " run on your own gas !!!

Hilarious He is so arrogant, and he thinks he is good.  I honestly believe he thinks he is a good football coach. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 11:11 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Whats his record coming off a bye week ? has too be bad can always remember myself complaining about this team looking bad coming off a bye throughout his tenure.

This is another really good metric where Marvin is either first or competing for top spot.

Good catch.:andy:

We can be so proud of leading in all of these categories Sarcasm

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 10:54 AM)bengals67 Wrote: As the the worst coach in NFL history? 

What other coach has spent 15 years with a franchise never to win a playoff game?

Does any coach have a worse record in playoff games?  Is there any other coach who played in 5 or more playoff games without winning at least one?

What other coach has such a lopsided record against their main rival in their division like Marvin's against the Steelers?

What other coach comes close to Marvin's abysmal record of home losses to his main rival?

Marvin Lewis leads in all the metrics for judging a bad coach. He is the Babe Ruth of losing NFL coaches. He can set records that will never be broken in this wonderful 50 year celebration of the Bengals franchise.

There are a lot of really knowledgeable people who post on this board and I would really be interested if anyone can name some other coach who can challenge Marvin for these great honors.

Unfortunately, Mike Brown's stellar Head Coach decisions also include the Coach fastest to 50 loses in NFL History....Dave Shula (19-52).
Reply/Quote
No coach matches Lewis in playoff losses without a win, but I think Lewis's overall percentage is better than Tomlins. Of course, when something goes against the Stoolers, Tomlin gets angry and yells at the ref while Marvin smiles and claps.... so there's that.
Reply/Quote
I don't know if Marvin is the worst coach of all time... But I doubt there's another coach who has consistently done less with more.
Reply/Quote
Browns have the current Dave Shula in Hue Jackson.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 11:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Jim Mora is probably the closest at 10 years with one team with 0 wins in the playoffs.

......BUT, Jim Mora had a USFL championship, and coached in another USFL championship game.  The similarities are striking though, defensive minded, and had good teams in NO overshadowed by then big brother, SF.

As to the OP, Lewis is not even close to worst ever, hell, even here, we had Dave Shula.  There was the 0-16 debacle in Detroit a few years back (don't remember the coach), Ritchie Kotite in New York, Ray Handley in New York, Chris Palmer in CLE, Rick Venturi in NO and IND, Joe Bugel OAK/ARZ, Dennis Allen OAK, Jim Haslett, Abe Gibron CHI......etc, etc.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 12:34 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: ......BUT, Jim Mora had a USFL championship, and coached in another USFL championship game.  The similarities are striking though, defensive minded, and had good teams in NO overshadowed by then big brother, SF.

As to the OP, Lewis is not even close to worst ever, hell, even here, we had Dave Shula.  There was the 0-16 debacle in Detroit a few years back (don't remember the coach), Ritchie Kotite in New York, Ray Handley in New York, Chris Palmer in CLE, Rick Venturi in NO and IND, Joe Bugel OAK/ARZ, Dennis Allen OAK, Jim Haslett, Abe Gibron CHI......etc, etc.

Most of your examples were canned pretty quickly when they couldn’t deliver.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:11 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Most of your examples were canned pretty quickly when they couldn’t deliver.

True that, but I still feel they are/were way worse than Mediocre Marv.....not that's saying a whole lot.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 12:02 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I don't know if Marvin is the worst coach of all time... But I doubt there's another coach who has consistently done less with more.

Basically, Marvin is the Dusty Baker of the NFL.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 10:54 AM)bengals67 Wrote: As the the worst coach in NFL history? 

Worst coach in NFL history? Well I'll tell you one thing, Ive just spent hundreds of hours viewing past Lewis coached Bengals games on my projector and Ive come to the conclusion that I've seen better film on teeth!
Reply/Quote
He is a one of a kind

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:15 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Basically, Marvin is the Dusty Baker of the NFL.

Dusty actually won some playoff games.
Reply/Quote