Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Are you prepared?
I will preface this by saying I don't believe that the coronavirus is going to blow up in to some huge world wide emergency that breaks down infrastructure.  I think like similar cases in the past it will fizzle out over time.  That said if you had to remain home for say a few weeks do you have the basic needs to do so?  I'm not a prepper like in those TV shows with an underground bunker, an arsenal of weapons, etc.  But I do keep enough supplies to survive for at least a month on my own if I had to.  In general I think that is a good idea for everyone to have some emergency supplies.  

I'm not and expert by any means but I thought I would share a few things researched and I do to stay somewhat prepared.

Food, you will need about 1200 calories per person a day:

Canned foods are your friend.  They don't have to be cooked before eating and many have an almost indefinite shelf life if stored properly in a dry place.  In most cases canned foods only become compromised if the can itself is damaged, rusted, exposed to high levels of heat or cold, etc.   Canned meats tend to have a longer shelf life from what I know.

One of the best foods to store for calorie needs is Spam (not the email type).  It has an almost indefinite shelf life if stored properly.  One can has 180 calories per serving with a total of 6 servings. So 1,080 calories a can, almost an entire day worth of calories.  Of course it is a lot of fat and sodium and isn't very healthy. So not something you would want to eat daily over a long amount of time.  But when you are hungry and need calories it is a good supplement.

Cans of Dinty Moore beef stew, again shelf stable for years.  Pull the tab back and eat straight from the can if needed.  200 calories per serving, 2.5 servings per can, so 500 calories per can and from personal experience it doesn't taste too bad eaten straight from the can.

Other canned meats like tuna and chicken stay stable for years under proper storage conditions as well.  However one can of chicken for example only has 120 total calories. A can of tuna is even less at 80 calories.  But while needing more per person, they are healthier.

You can also add to your emergency supplies on the cheap with Chef Boyardee products.  They sell for about $1 a can where I live, and have a best by date of over 2 years from purchase, and again probably stable longer than that if stored properly.  320 calories per can and decent amount of carbs for energy.

For food that isn't meat, canned black beans can fill an important role.  About 360 total calories per can, stores for years and has a decent amount of nutritional value.  Per serving (1/2 cup), 3.5 servings per can: 21% of Fiber, 10% of potassium, 7g of protein, 4% of calcium, 10% of iron, and 8% of carbs. Canned black beans are one of the most nutritional items you can keep in supply.  

Filler:  If you meet the needed calorie intake from for example a can of Spam and a can of black beans, you might still find yourself feeling hungry.  Ramen noodles are super cheap, have fair amount of carbs, stay shelf stable for at least a year, and don't really need to be cooked.  You can just soak them in water for about a half hour in the event you can't heat the water.  They won't be the most tasty thing in the world but they will help fill your stomach up and quell hunger.

Vitamins:  You might notice that the foods above don't really have a lot of nutrients like vitamin C, Magnesium, and vitamin B.   This is easily solved by keeping a large bottle of multi vitamin and a container of iodized salt.  Foods containing vitamin C like fruits are harder to store long term and you don't want to get scurvy.  :)   You can add to your supplies by including canned fruits if you have a taste for them but for the space they take up they don't add a lot of nutritional value, they are mostly sugar.

Spices and other flavors:  One thing that would suck about living off the above foods for an extended period of time is how bland the diet is.  In times of duress a little flavor and some novelty items can boost your morale.  So as above store some salt but also pepper, other spices and honey.  They all store for a very long time as well and can improve your survival dining experience.  Also store some treats like hard candy and even Pringles.  I picked up a few cans of Pringles today and they have a best by date of March 2021. I'll eat them and rotate more in well before then. Also consider storing some coffee and tea.  If it is your thing store some alcohol like vodka, rum, bourbon etc as they never go bad.   Vodka is also a good choice because it can also be used as a cleaning agent in a pinch.

Water:

This is a huge one.  You won't live long without it.  Depending on where you live, the time of year, and the circumstances you may or may not have access to clean water.  You will need at least 1/2 gallon a day depending on your activity.  

Bottled water is good to store similar to canned goods in space not exposed to direct sunlight and extreme temperatures. So stock up.  This would be your clean supply to drink, brush your teeth, etc.  For example, a 32 pack of Kroger 16.9oz bottled water is 4.225 gallons, so about 8 days of water. So store 4 of them for roughly a 30 day drinkable water supply per person.  A 32 pack cost me $3.50 at Kroger today, so $14 for a roughly a month of emergency water for one person.  Not a bad idea if I say so myself.

Water storage.  You can buy 5 gallon BPA free water containers fairly cheap. (Edit: I just looked up the ones I bought on Amazon because I wanted to link them for those interested and they are currently sold out. So maybe I'm not alone on preparing).  In the event where it looks like the water supply might become compromised fill them up beforehand for extra supply.

Emergency water purification.  Let's say you only have access to a water source like a creek or pond.  You will want to filter that water through a few layers of cloth or similar to filter out larger derbies.  Then you will want to purify it.  Boiling is the best method.  You will want to boil it for at least 15 minutes.  In the event  you don't have access to heating water enough to boil it you can use bleach.  Again filter out as many derbies as possible and then add 2 drops of bleach per quart of water, or 8 drops of bleach per gallon of water.  Mix well. Wait 30 min. Water should have a slight bleach odor. If not, repeat dose. Wait 15 min. Sniff again.  Note do not use scented bleach, only pure bleach.

Also, to sanitize containers and utensils, mix 1 tablespoon bleach with one gallon of water. Always wash and rinse items first, then let each item soak in sanitizing solution for 2 minutes. Drain and air dry.

Other tips:  Keep a backup supply of soap and other cleaning supplies including bleach (see above), dry goods like toilet paper (you will really miss TP once you no longer have it), paper towels, batteries for flashlights, matches and or lighters, candles, basic first aid items, and of course a can opener.

But George, what do you do with all that food you don't use over the years because you didn't need to eat it?  While most of the canned goods I store are probably safe well beyond the best by date I either eat them and rotate them out or donate.  Anything I don't eat within 6 months of the best by date I donate to a local food pantry.  It works well, I keep my supplies fairly fresh and give back to the community.  

Anyway I know this is a long post.  But I hope I have added some tips and ideas for people to plan in the event of an emergency.   If anyone here has other knowledge, ideas or even corrections based on what I posted, I would find it helpful and maybe it could help others as well.   :)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I try and make good with the good Lord above every evening... So I guess I'm prepared. When it's time, it's time.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Off the top of my head:

Dinty Moore Beef Stew
Dinty Moore Chicken & Dumplings
3 cases of ramen noodles
a few cans of chicken broth and beef broth
tomato rice soup
bags of frozen pelmeni and pierogies
100+ 16 oz. bottles of water
canned sardines
canned salmon
beef jerky
orange juice
cranberry juice
spaghetti (dry)
butter
sour cream
Family-size box of Cheerios
Red wines
Bourbon
Whiskey (Red Turkey 101)
Grand Marnier
Bailey's Irish Cream

rubbing alcohol
a few surgical masks (plus one 95N)(can't find these anywhere now)
Aleve
Indocine
Tylenol
Zicam
81mg chewable aspirin
Lysol spray
hand sanitizers (1 large bottle in house and 6 minis dispersed in car and on person)(can't find these anywhere now)
latex gloves
3x 30-count toilet paper rolls
Dayquil/Nyquil
Vaseline
Bandages
ice bags
hot water bottles

Supports: knee, elbow, wrist, ankle
soap
shampoo
body wash

books
radio
solar-powered charger

Thinking of getting a Dyson Air Purifier....
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
My bar is more than well stocked, and alcohol is an excellent sanitizer.

So I'm good...
Reply/Quote
My home is fairly self-sufficient (electric, water, and heat). Because I raise my own beef, garden, trade for pork, and shop at Sam's club for deals I have well over a years worth of food I'm good in most areas for a long period of time...

My biggest issue is diesel fuel.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I think that a percentage of all Americans generally live in at least a degree of a state of preparation. For example, those living in hurricane prone areas tend to have food staples, supplies, generators and fuel, etc. on hand for when the inevitable arrives. The same goes with rural folks everywhere. When weather emergencies happen, those in the country are the last in line to get their power restored. It just becomes a part of life, without even thinking about it.

For example, we keep oil lamps and plenty of fuel for them on hand, as well as candles, batteries, radio, extra propane bottles for the grill, several 5 gal containers of water, etc. along with an ever rotating stock of shelf items that are easy to eat/fix in the event of no-power. Heck, my wife even has a battery powered DVD player to keep her busy when we lose power for a day or more.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I am not prepared.

But my neighbor is. And I'm pretty sure I can take his ass out in an emergency. Ninja
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
[Image: 88169135_2990835247614713_85894568413128...e=5E92F881]
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 02:19 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: [Image: 88169135_2990835247614713_85894568413128...e=5E92F881]
For some reason I think I might be dead waiting for toilet paper......
Dinty Moore, is very high in Sodium, just so you know. Also your Vodka needs to be 60% alcohol and most is 40%. 
I am hoping this blows over quickly.
Reply/Quote
Beer, smokes, peanuts, TP, soap and water. I'm good.

Reply/Quote
worst case scenario I got 50lbs of dog food.... and a 100 lb dog.... (j/k)

If I had to stay home from work I could still go to the store.

If they close the stores. Well Start the hunger games..
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 10:01 PM)Synric Wrote: My home is fairly self-sufficient (electric, water, and heat). Because I raise my own beef, garden, trade for pork, and shop at Sam's club for deals I have well over a years worth of food I'm good in most areas for a long period of time...

I dont know how true this is but I have heard from several sources that transformers along power lines contain what is basically kerosene and if collected can be used as a substitute for diesel fuel
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 11:01 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I am not prepared.

But my neighbor is. And I'm pretty sure I can take his ass out in an emergency.  Ninja

A prepper family moved in next to my parents years ago. They were really nice. The guy kept trying to convince my dad to put in a water tank and at the least get some chickens. He meant well enough. One day were in the driveway talking and he's going on about the stuff we should have. Finally dad says "why?"

"So you can be prepared."

"Well, yeah," dad says. "But I don't need that stuff.'

"Why?"

"Because, you've got that stuff and I've got more bullets. You raise the chickens and I'll take what I need."

He didn't mention it much after that 
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 03:02 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: I dont know how true this is but I have heard from several sources that transformers along power lines contain what is basically kerosene and if collected can be used as a substitute for diesel fuel

Yes Kerosene and Isolator oil can both be used as diesel fuel in a pinch.

Lol although if it comes to rippinng transformers off the poles I think the US will be in pretty bad shape. I'll probably just fill a couple 55 gallon drums and it will get me through the spring and summer.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 10:01 PM)Synric Wrote: My home is fairly self-sufficient (electric, water, and heat). Because I raise my own beef, garden, trade for pork, and shop at Sam's club for deals I have well over a years worth of food I'm good in most areas for a long period of time...

Sounds like you have a good setup there.  I'd defiantly like it if I had my own supply of electricity, water and heat.  Having a years supply of food and the ability to supply more from raising cattle and gardening defiantly sounds like you have things prepared.

(03-05-2020, 10:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that a percentage of all Americans generally live in at least a degree of a state of preparation.  For example, those living in hurricane prone areas tend to have food staples, supplies, generators and fuel, etc. on hand for when the inevitable arrives.  The same goes with rural folks everywhere.  When weather emergencies happen, those in the country are the last in line to get their power restored.  It just becomes a part of life, without even thinking about it.

For example, we keep oil lamps and plenty of fuel for them on hand, as well as candles, batteries, radio, extra propane bottles for the grill, several 5 gal containers of water, etc. along with an ever rotating stock of shelf items that are easy to eat/fix in the event of no-power.  Heck, my wife even has a battery powered DVD player to keep her busy when we lose power for a day or more.

Yeah, I can see where living in an area where natural disasters like hurricanes are not uncommon would lead many to prepare for the worst.  It's places like suburbs and urban areas where natural disasters are rare where I think people don't plan ahead.  Heck if we get a prediction for a few inches of show here people flock to the stores and buy up all the bread and milk.

(03-06-2020, 12:25 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Dinty Moore, is very high in Sodium, just so you know. Also your Vodka needs to be 60% alcohol and most is 40%. 
I am hoping this blows over quickly.

Yeah sodium is high in a lot of canned foods like that.  I suppose that is a bit of a trade off and not something you would want to live off of long term.  I'm not a big Vodka person so didn't know the alcohol percentage.  I had just read some place that it could be used so thanks for letting me know.  I too hope this blows over and think it will.  

Anyway, I just wanted to open a discussion on this because to me it is an interesting topic.  I know that it is something that some people think is weird or whatever, but I just like knowing I have at least a month worth of supplies should I need it.  Of course it would also depend on the time of year and circumstances.  If after a month I'm probably screwed if things don't improve but I suppose I at least give myself a running start.

As for other comments in this thread, yeah if you have supplies, then you will need to be prepared to protect them from those that do not if things get really bad. But I think that is a bigger issue than just being prepared to be self-sufficient for several weeks. At the point where people are looting and willing to assault others for their supplies, then we are talking about a much larger emergency situation.

Again, I'm not a doomsday prepper.  I just think it is a decent idea to keep on hand a minimal amount of supplies should they be needed.  For one person it costs less than $200 a year to stock about a month of food and water if you rotate things out and resupply as used. I think that is an okay investment for a little peace of mind.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 06:46 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Yeah, I can see where living in an area where natural disasters like hurricanes are not uncommon would lead many to prepare for the worst.  It's places like suburbs and urban areas where natural disasters are rare where I think people don't plan ahead.  Heck if we get a prediction for a few inches of show here people flock to the stores and buy up all the bread and milk.

It's the same around here.  Yet, after living down here for 18 years, I've yet to eat a milk sandwich..  Though I have opted to use the generator to run the AC over the fridge and TV, the day after a hurricane.  Sometimes that mid-upper 90s humidity can be unbearable..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Several years ago oh maybe 03 we had a bad ice storm in my neck of the woods. We didn't have power for 6 days and didn't have water for 4 or 5, lived up on a hill then and water was pumped up.

A lot of stuff has already been mentioned and I haven't read every line of thread, however. One of the things you couldn't find anywhere the next morning was water and batteries. I always keep a few extra packs of batteries around now and rotate em. I usually have 2 or 3 extra cases of water in basement now plus I'll fill up couple dozen two liter bottles with water to flush toilet and wash hands and such. I put in few drops of bleach.

Steel wool is an excellent fire starter I usually have 2 or 3 packs around, I use it for reloading and stuff anyways.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 07:22 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Several years ago oh maybe 03 we had a bad ice storm in my neck of the woods. We didn't have power for 6 days and didn't have water for 4 or 5, lived up on a hill then and water was pumped up.

A lot of stuff has already been mentioned and I haven't read every line of thread, however. One of the things you couldn't find anywhere the next morning was water and batteries. I always keep a few extra packs of batteries around now and rotate em. I usually have 2 or 3 extra cases of water in basement now plus I'll fill up couple dozen two liter bottles with water to flush toilet and  wash hands and such. I put in few drops of bleach.

Steel wool is an excellent fire starter I usually have 2 or 3 packs around, I use it for reloading and stuff anyways.

I remember that storm.  It was tough for many in that region.  I lived in Gallia Co., and there were some folks there, who lived "out in the county", that were without power for up to 14 days.  Despite all of the crews that were trucked in, reaching those out on County roads was a slow process.  Many in the construction/contracting community donated their very work generators, kerosene heaters, etc., in order to help folks make it through.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 08:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I remember that storm.  It was tough for many in that region.  I lived in Gallia Co., and there were some folks there, who lived "out in the county", that were without power for up to 14 days.  Despite all of the crews that were trucked in, reaching those out on County roads was a slow process.  Many in the construction/contracting community donated their very work generators, kerosene heaters, etc., in order to help folks make it through.

Yep there were people near me out of power for 8 days, 10 days. There were actually people "up a holler" out for like you say two weeks some a month !

Like you say you couldn't buy a generator or kerosene heater for a gold brick within 150 miles of my house. I have a big kerosene heater now and try and keep a few gallons handy. No generator yet but it's high on the priority list ! Thinking about putting in a propane one ?

I've had a p-38 can opener on my key ring since like 1986, don't smoke but have carrried a little bic lighter for years as well. I've had a pocket knife since I was like 12 ? And they've came in handy many, many times.
Reply/Quote
If all of the big stores are out of to, hit up rv supply stores

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote