Poll: ??
Glad Andy's the backup in Dallas
Wish here were still here
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are you still happy
(06-14-2020, 11:15 AM)jason Wrote: They have moved on. The people that didn't like him can't let go.

Are the people who didn't like him the ones bringing him up?  Seems like they are the ones who have moved on.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 12:09 PM)McC Wrote: Are the people who didn't like him the ones bringing him up?  Seems like they are the ones who have moved on.

I'ma say yes... Those that didn't care for him are still harping about him. This thread is the step sister to another about keeping Andy as a backup. The one thread wasn't enough. We needed another. Just sorta make a mental note when you read his name posted. It seems to be the detractors.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 12:26 PM)jason Wrote: I'ma say yes... Those that didn't care for him are still harping about him. This thread is the step sister to another about keeping Andy as a backup. The one thread wasn't enough. We needed another. Just sorta make a mental note when you read his name posted. It seems to be the detractors.

This is the OP:

Are you still happy...

That we put $17 MIL back in Mikey's pocket?

I was in the VAST minority that suggested we should keep Andy around even at that $17 MIL price tag (although I suggested they "extend" him for a year and give him the money upfront to ease the cap) and use him as a mentor for JB. With the NFL extending the "virtual" workouts today there will be nothing until Training Camp (at the earliest).

So who's still good with Mikey putting $17 MIL back in Pumpkin's trust fund and having Finley showing JB the ropes?

Sounds pretty pro-Dalton to me.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 12:31 PM)McC Wrote: This is the OP:

Are you still happy...

I was in the VAST minority that suggested we should keep Andy around even at that $17 MIL price tag (although I suggested they "extend" him for a year and give him the money upfront to ease the cap) and use him as a mentor for JB. With the NFL extending the "virtual" workouts today there will be nothing until Training Camp (at the earliest).

So who's still good with Mikey putting $17 MIL back in Pumpkin's trust fund and having Finley showing JB the ropes?

Look up previous comments about Ginger Tarzan by said poster.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 12:31 PM)McC Wrote: This is the OP:

Are you still happy...

Some folks just like to stir the pot, around here.  Some folks think that their opinions on team management are better than those of the folks that actually manage a pro football team for a living.  Some folks wouldn't be happy, if the team allowed them to dictate their every detail of franchise management, even if read directly from cue cards..

Basically, some folks are just going to be miserable weather the team fails or succeeds.  As for me?  I'm going to continue to be impressed with the changes that have happened this offseason, and be optimistic for the future of the team.

Edit: On another note, it appears that the verdict is in. So far, it's 34-4 in favor of people happy that Dalton is on the Cowboy's roster rather than the Bengals.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Since I am a career backbenchers and rarely start thread, I don't complain about threads, especially this time of year.

But, God yes, I am glad Andy is gone. Don't agree with premise, off season is far from over.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 01:00 PM)jason Wrote: Look up previous comments about Ginger Tarzan by said poster.

Man...I didn't know there would be homework involved.

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 01:35 PM)McC Wrote: Man...I didn't know there would be homework involved.

It's not important to me either. Just pay attention to those who post his name moving forward. It'll probably be in a negative light.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 12:26 PM)jason Wrote: I'ma say yes... Those that didn't care for him are still harping about him. This thread is the step sister to another about keeping Andy as a backup. The one thread wasn't enough. We needed another. Just sorta make a mental note when you read his name posted. It seems to be the detractors.

I started the thread one the day it was determined by the NFL that there would be no in person workouts prior to training camps. It brought to light a new dynamic in the value Andy could provide to JB. Not surprisingly no one is going to change their minds and that's fine. If you want to discuss the content of the thread please do. If you want to complain about posters please do elsewhere. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I am absolutely happy that the team has moved on completely from the Andy Dalton era. Reason number one being that a drastic culture change is needed here and a big piece of the culture needing changed is Andy Dalton. I don't want a passing of the torch, I want the torch extinguished and a new one lit. The second reason is that Joe is not a guy who needs his hand held to figure things out. Joe is a take-charge type of guy who will learn quickly and work hard to avoid repeating his mistakes. Joe Burrow is about as pro-ready as a rookie gets and in my opinion, keeping Andy around has more potential to hinder the development of new team chemistry than it does to aid the development of this new quarterback.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 09:52 AM)E Wrote: I am absolutely happy that the team has moved on completely from the Andy Dalton era. Reason number one being that a drastic culture change is needed here and a big piece of the culture needing changed is Andy Dalton. I don't want a passing of the torch, I want the torch extinguished and a new one lit. The second reason is that Joe is not a guy who needs his hand held to figure things out. Joe is a take-charge type of guy who will learn quickly and work hard to avoid repeating his mistakes. Joe Burrow is about as pro-ready as a rookie gets and in my opinion, keeping Andy around has more potential to hinder the development of new team chemistry than it does to aid the development of this new quarterback.

Good post. I completely agree. Like the Bengals sugar skull, too.

Reply/Quote
[quote pid='877138' dateline='1592311976']
I am absolutely happy that the team has moved on completely from the Andy Dalton era. Reason number one being that a drastic culture change is needed here and a big piece of the culture needing changed is Andy Dalton. I don't want a passing of the torch, I want the torch extinguished and a new one lit. The second reason is that Joe is not a guy who needs his hand held to figure things out. Joe is a take-charge type of guy who will learn quickly and work hard to avoid repeating his mistakes. Joe Burrow is about as pro-ready as a rookie gets and in my opinion, keeping Andy around has more potential to hinder the development of new team chemistry than it does to aid the development of this new quarterback.
[/quote]

Right Joe

Just as the ML era needed to end (several years ago in fact but that's another story) so did the AD era. IMHO the benefits of keeping him are far outweighed by the benefits of closing that chapter of the book.

Like you say this team needed a new torch, new direction, new culture, with the past behind us.
Reply/Quote
[quote pid='877138' dateline='1592311976']
[/quote]

Well said 'E'. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 02:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: [quote pid='877138' dateline='1592311976']

Well said 'E'. Rock On
[/quote]

If say, he should easily throw for 4000 yards and 40 TD's with our WR group and being a number 1 overall pick. If so he should have us the playoffs in 2020.

I am glad we drafted Joe, but I will buy the hype if and when he wins playoff games. It should start in 2020 or Joe is a disappointment in my eyes.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2020, 10:08 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Well said 'E'. Rock On

If say, he should easily throw for 4000 yards and 40 TD's with our WR group and being a number 1 overall pick. If so he should have us the playoffs in 2020.

I am glad we drafted Joe, but I will buy the hype if and when he wins playoff games. It should start in 2020 or Joe is a disappointment in my eyes.
[/quote]
AYFKM? I would love it if what you're saying comes to pass, but c'mon man.  He's taking the reins on a 2 14 team! Any disappointment I would have with him is how he would mishandle adversity,  not tied to the team's record.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 02:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I started the thread one the day it was determined by the NFL that there would be no in person workouts prior to training camps. It brought to light a new dynamic in the value Andy could provide to JB. Not surprisingly no one is going to change their minds and that's fine. If you want to discuss the content of the thread please do. If you want to complain about posters please do elsewhere. 

Dalton wanted out and a chance on a new team. There's really no evidence that he would have been a benefit to JB.

Taylor clearly isn't or wasn't a Dalton fan. Part of that $17M has been used already.

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2020, 10:08 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If say, he should easily throw for 4000 yards and 40 TD's with our WR group and being a number 1 overall pick. If so he should have us the playoffs in 2020.

You're really letting your love of Andy Dalton prevent you from having a rational discussion about Joe Burrow.  Not only are these numbers obscenely high, but you even managed to preface them them with the word easily.

The league leader in TD's last season threw for 36 TD's.  So what you essentially just said is that Joe Burrow should easily lead the NFL in passing TD's as a rookie.

Fwiw, here is where 40 TD's would rank over the last 10 seasons:

2019 - 1st
2018 - 1st
2017 - 1st
2016 - 1st (Tied)
2015 - 1st
2014 - 1st (Tied)
2013 - 2nd
2012 - 2nd
2011 - 4th
2010 - 1st

Over these 10 seasons 40 TD seaons have only occurred a total of 6 times.  That's out of a potential 320 NFL starting jobs.  What you're saying here is he seasily should hit a mark that has only been accomplished by 1.875% of NFL QB's in the last decade.

I'm not not trying to be a jerk in pointing out the absurdity in such a statement.  But you've made similar posts before and I think you should at least attempt to be reasonable with some of these takes.  Obviously you're bummed about Andy leaving and that's ok.  But Burrow's already has enough pressure on here from fans as immediately being this huge upgrade.  Throwing out numbers like this is only making the conversation all the more ridiculous.

If Joe Burrow can manage to hit even 3,500 yards and even 30 TD's, then that will what heckuva rookie year.  Both of those numbers put him well within the top half of the league, which would be an increible feat for a rookie QB.

PS Some of you all need to pump the breaks with this WR/TE group stuff.  I saw someone rank us as maybe the leagues best the other day.  The reality is a fair ranking right now is probably around 10.  We have no idea what we have in AJ, and we're well below average at TE.  Quit acting like Burrow is inherited an elite group.  At least not until we can see where AJ is, and what we have in Higgins, Ross, and Co.  As it stands right now, we have one proven commodity in Tyler Boyd.  The rest are complete question marks.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2020, 10:08 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am glad we drafted Joe, but I will buy the hype if and when he wins playoff games. It should start in 2020 or Joe is a disappointment in my eyes.

This is so unfair.  Not only is he a rookie, but he's joining a team that is coming off a 2-14 season.  He's joining a franchise that's had 4 staright losing seasons.  He's joining a team that overhauled much of their roster.  He's joining a franchise that hasn't won a playoff game in 30 years!!!

If a rookie QB is a disappointment for not making the playoffs in year 1, then how come you weren't leading the charge to part ways with Andy in 2016?  Or in 2017, 2018?

Andy was a veteran QB in 2016 who lead a team coming off a 12-4 season and managed to go 6-9-1.  Andy Dalton never won a playoff game.  But Joe needs to in year 1 or he is a disappointment?

Give me a break.  Go root for Dallas if your feelings are hurt this bad.  C'mon man. 
Reply/Quote
I've re thought my stance.
If JB doesn't win at least 2 playoff games, I would be disappointed.
By 30 points.
Scratch that. Why stop at the AFC championship? JB needs to win a SB. Throwing for 4 TDs, no picks, 600 yards plus 175 rushing yards. Otherwise he's abysmal. A bum.

Since he has all this free time right now how about a COVID vaccine? In the next 2 weeks. Otherwise, just a waste of oxygen.
Hell, he needs broker a mid east peace deal every body can live with. No, wait, be DELIGHTED with. Failing that, he's a freaking abomination. Just hang himself. Except he'll probably screw that up, too. A firing squad, then.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2020, 12:22 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This is so unfair.  Not only is he a rookie, but he's joining a team that is coming off a 2-14 season.  He's joining a franchise that's had 4 staright losing seasons.  He's joining a team that overhauled much of their roster.  He's joining a franchise that hasn't won a playoff game in 30 years!!!

If a rookie QB is a disappointment for not making the playoffs in year 1, then how come you weren't leading the charge to part ways with Andy in 2016?  Or in 2017, 2018?

Andy was a veteran QB in 2016 who lead a team coming off a 12-4 season and managed to go 6-9-1.  Andy Dalton never won a playoff game.  But Joe needs to in year 1 or he is a disappointment?

Give me a break.  Go root for Dallas if your feelings are hurt this bad.  C'mon man. 

You have the hurt feelings. I have always based my happiness on winning and not effort or almost winning.

Joe needs to win games, if he does I will be happy if he throws for 20 TD's.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote