Poll: ??
Glad Andy's the backup in Dallas
Wish here were still here
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are you still happy
(06-12-2020, 01:05 AM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: The head coach, OC, and QB coach were all QB's themselves and have a ton of experience with QB's. If you can't "show a new QB the NFL ropes" with those three then we're doomed anyway. No need to spend on Dalton and create an awkward and unnecessary situation. Hopefully those dollars end up going to another OL, but considering all the communication from Bengals about being fine with OL I'm not holding my breath.

This. Finley is not going to "mentor" Burrow, he's going to be struggling to keep his own job. I like Andy, but he wants to start, so I don't want to see him relegated to the bench watching the team he led for a decade play with someone else. Plus, at the first hint of struggle, we would have fans in Cincy yelling to put Dalton back in and have a QB controversy. We don't need that. Burrow does not need that. Nor does Andy. I hope he thrives in Dallas, but as of right now, that's a great place for him and the money we saved is better spent elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 10:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Watch what Dallas gets for him mid-season when a starter goes down. Letting him walk was stupid on so many levels.

No one would have traded for Andy under the bengals contract.

Teams definitely have more interest now that he is infinitely more cheaper
Reply/Quote
i need m. brown spending more not saving more
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 08:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That we put $17 MIL back in Mikey's pocket?

I was in the VAST minority that suggested we should keep Andy around even at that $17 MIL price tag (although I suggested they "extend" him for a year and give him the money upfront to ease the cap) and use him as a mentor for JB. With the NFL extending the "virtual" workouts today there will be nothing until Training Camp (at the earliest).

So who's still good with Mikey putting $17 MIL back in Pumpkin's trust fund and having Finley showing JB the ropes?

I guess it depends on whether it actually winds up in Mike's pocket or goes towards extensions.  Usually, guys don't start getting extensions done until TC.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm glad he's gone, and I don't mean that vindictively.

He was here for 9 years. I won't lay all of the teams' playoff woes at his feet, but he was a part of the issue and things just ran their course with him. At the same time, I like him well enough (both as a player and a human being) that I didn't want to see him rot on the bench. He's a backup in Dallas for now, but I do believe he'll be a starter again somewhere, before all is said and done. It simply wasn't going to happen here.

And considering the holes this team has, as well as the number of key players needing to be re-signed, keeping a $17 million backup just seems irresponsible to me.

I wish him all the best, but it's time to shut that book and open a new one.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Happy as a lark in a berry tree. Hope Andy does well in Dallas except if he plays us.

Also hope Dolegala becomes a good backup QB for Burrow. Or we bring in a guy like Matt Moore.

I have no faith in Finley being decent after watching him last year.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 09:23 PM)motoarch Wrote: Why sit on 17 million dollars?  

Ask Mike Brown.  He is the one doing it.

However I feel that at some point we will spend a big chunk of that money on extensions or new free agents.  

If the season starts and Mike has not spent the money then I will agree with Bfine.  But I think it is too early to say right now.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 01:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ask Mike Brown.  He is the one doing it.

However I feel that at some point we will spend a big chunk of that money on extensions or new free agents.  

If the season starts and Mike has not spent the money then I will agree with Bfine.  But I think it is too early to say right now.

The problem with the OP's premise is that that amount of money doesn't actually exist in terms of available cap space.

The 24 mil or whatever in cap space people are seeing does not include the incoming rookie salaries.  Burrow and Higgins will add about 7.5-8 mil alone.  Our actual current cap space, when accounting for the added rookie deals is probably going to be between 10-14 mil, depending on who later gets released to make room for the new guys. 

Add in a new Mixon deal, and that numbers probably looks something like 7 mil in space.  Add in a Warford deal in addition to that, or another vet brought in, and then we're right up against the cap.  There is no 17 mil Mike is sitting on right now.  And even if he keeps the entire 10-14 mil that I just projected, that means keeping Dalton would have prevented us bringing in someone like Von Bell. 

You know a statement about Mike Brown sitting on money has to be completely absurd and unfair for me to rush to his defense.  Bfine is going out of his way to reintrouduce a topic that he beat into the ground months ago.  It's trolling at it's finest (worst).

Go kick rocks, Bfine. I've never seen a poll so lopsided on here. Your thread stinks.
Reply/Quote
It was time for the 2 sides to go their own ways. No reason to delay it for another year. 

I wish Andy the best in Dallas and I'm excited for the Burrow era in Cincinnati. 
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 01:58 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It was time for the 2 sides to go their own ways. No reason to delay it for another year. 

I wish Andy the best in Dallas and I'm excited for the Burrow era in Cincinnati. 

Bingo!!!  
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
Folks really think we could not afford Andy? Take a peek at how much the saints are spending at the position
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 01:22 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The problem with the OP's premise is that that amount of money doesn't actually exist in terms of available cap space.

The 24 mil or whatever in cap space people are seeing does not include the incoming rookie salaries.  Burrow and Higgins will add about 7.5-8 mil alone.  Our actual current cap space, when accounting for the added rookie deals is probably going to be between 10-14 mil, depending on who later gets released to make room for the new guys. 

Add in a new Mixon deal, and that numbers probably looks something like 7 mil in space.  Add in a Warford deal in addition to that, or another vet brought in, and then we're right up against the cap.  There is no 17 mil Mike is sitting on right now.  And even if he keeps the entire 10-14 mil that I just projected, that means keeping Dalton would have prevented us bringing in someone like Von Bell. 

You know a statement about Mike Brown sitting on money has to be completely absurd and unfair for me to rush to his defense.  Bfine is going out of his way to reintrouduce a topic that he beat into the ground months ago.  It's trolling at it's finest (worst).

Go kick rocks, Bfine. I've never seen a poll so lopsided on here. Your thread stinks.

This... Once they went on a spending spree a couple months back they could no longer afford Andy. On top of that Dalton didn't wanna be here. I can't believe I just typed his name again.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Good luck to Andy but it's Joe Burrow time now in Cincy. The money should be used to extend Joe & find more help as available.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 06:20 PM)jason Wrote: This... Once they went on a spending spree a couple months back they could no longer afford Andy. On top of that Dalton didn't wanna be here. I can't believe I just typed his name again.

The only thing in that post that is true is Andy didn't want to be here.

It is entertaining to see many of the folks that have said Mike Brown is cheap now rolling with the "we couldn't afford him stance"
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 09:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The only thing in that post that is true is Andy didn't want to be here.

It is entertaining to see many of the folks that have said Mike Brown is cheap now rolling with the "we couldn't afford him stance"

Ok. We could afford him if we don't sign any of our draft picks. That draft was just for practice.

He's gone. We're all glad he's gone. He's glad he's gone. But Bfine (who knocked him every chance he could) wishes he was here... For $17 million.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 05:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks really think we could not afford Andy? Take a peek at how much the saints are spending at the position

If Andy Dalton could do all the things Taysom Hill does it’d be a different story. Still not with 17 mil though.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 09:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It is entertaining to see many of the folks that have said Mike Brown is cheap now rolling with the "we couldn't afford him stance"

It's entertaining to see someone who said they considered Andy to be the 34th best QB in the NFL last year later argue that we should pay him 17 mil to be our backup.

PS How you digging those poll results?  
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 05:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks really think we could not afford Andy?

No.

How many times does this need to be explained to you?
Reply/Quote
Owner: Former QB
Head coach: Former QB
OC Former QB
QB coach: Former QB

Burrow has plenty of "mentors".
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 01:58 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It was time for the 2 sides to go their own ways. No reason to delay it for another year.

Yup

Above all else it was just time for it to be over. I wish Andy well and sincerely hope he finds success but I'm glad he's gone. 
Reply/Quote