Poll: ??
Glad Andy's the backup in Dallas
Wish here were still here
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are you still happy
(06-11-2020, 10:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Meh, they had their opportunities to get something of value for him.  They chose to be stubborn, until the last minute ran out.

Or maybe nobody wanted him at that price...

Remember, Cam is still unemployed as well. These are weird times.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 10:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Watch what Dallas gets for him mid-season when a starter goes down. Letting him walk was stupid on so many levels.

I actually think similarly of a starter going down, but it being Dak Prescott and Dalton having some fun with a different team.  I think his "magic" from 2015 had gone stale in Cincy and a change in scenery was best for Dalton and the Bengals.  Funny enough, all offseason long and prior to his release, Tobin and Taylor both mentioned how the "deal" would work for both Andy and the Bengals out of respect.  While I think they held him a bit long (no buyers turns out), i believe they upheld that statement.  
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 10:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Or maybe nobody wanted him at that price...

Remember, Cam is still unemployed as well. These are weird times.

If you ask me, Cam and Andy are Apples and Oranges, as far as comparisons go.  Cam has a serious injury history, Andy's is pretty minor.  Cam is reckless, and likes to do too much, while when given protection, Andy can pick apart a defense.  The sample is large on both, so neither will get the "second chance" big money opportunity.  However, I see Andy in the best spot, as he can instantly start for Dallas, should Dak not agree to a deal.  If Andy get's the starting job in Dallas?  They'll all be like, "Dak who?".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It was time to turn the page
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 11:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If you ask me, Cam and Andy are Apples and Oranges, as far as comparisons go.  Cam has a serious injury history, Andy's is pretty minor.  Cam is reckless, and likes to do too much, while when given protection, Andy can pick apart a defense.  The sample is large on both, so neither will get the "second chance" big money opportunity.  However, I see Andy in the best spot, as he can instantly start for Dallas, should Dak not agree to a deal.  If Andy get's the starting job in Dallas?  They'll all be like, "Dak who?".

You mean like this...

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 08:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That we put $17 MIL back in Mikey's pocket?

I was in the VAST minority that suggested we should keep Andy around even at that $17 MIL price tag (although I suggested they "extend" him for a year and give him the money upfront to ease the cap) and use him as a mentor for JB. With the NFL extending the "virtual" workouts today there will be nothing until Training Camp (at the earliest).

So who's still good with Mikey putting $17 MIL back in Pumpkin's trust fund and having Finley showing JB the ropes?

So the bengals can't spend that $$ still, please explain 
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 08:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That we put $17 MIL back in Mikey's pocket?

I was in the VAST minority that suggested we should keep Andy around even at that $17 MIL price tag (although I suggested they "extend" him for a year and give him the money upfront to ease the cap) and use him as a mentor for JB. With the NFL extending the "virtual" workouts today there will be nothing until Training Camp (at the earliest).

So who's still good with Mikey putting $17 MIL back in Pumpkin's trust fund and having Finley showing JB the ropes?

I don't agree with the framing of the question.  I get that their past narrative is to roll back money, but they've spent a ton of money creatively so at the least we need to reserve the right to see how they spend it.  Extending Mixon will tear into that amount and I"m hoping for a fit Warford to show up and sign on to help fix the OL.  Give me either one of those in place of Dalton and I'm happy.  
Reply/Quote
Dalton could easily be the starter for Dallas if Dak holds out or if there's an actual QB competition.
Reply/Quote

This is total bs.

After the rookies are added to the top 53 we'll be sitting somewhere between 12-14 million in space.  That would obviously decrease even further if Mixon were to sign a new deal, and/or if we add another vet before the season.

The idea a team with this many holes going into the offseason should spend 17 million dollars on a backup QB is probably the absolute dumbest thing I've ever read here.  You should feel embarrassed.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 12:33 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Dalton could easily be the starter for Dallas if Dak holds out or if there's an actual QB competition.

Honestly, if they were smart they'd ship Prescott off now for a decent price and let someone else overpay him. Just start Andy from week 1 and revisit the position after the season.

Im really not sure theyd sse that big of a drop-off. The fact Dak turned town 35 mil per is absolute insanity. I really don't think he's even a top 10 QB.
Reply/Quote
The head coach, OC, and QB coach were all QB's themselves and have a ton of experience with QB's. If you can't "show a new QB the NFL ropes" with those three then we're doomed anyway. No need to spend on Dalton and create an awkward and unnecessary situation. Hopefully those dollars end up going to another OL, but considering all the communication from Bengals about being fine with OL I'm not holding my breath.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 12:33 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Dalton could easily be the starter for Dallas if Dak holds out or if there's an actual QB competition.

QB’s that are so good they’re holding out for mega contacts don’t have competitions with QB’s that were just benched the previous season.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 01:22 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: QB’s that are so good they’re holding out for mega contacts don’t have competitions with QB’s that were just benched the previous season.

Dak isn't so good that he deserves a mega contract. He had a really good team in a bad division and went 8-8. A lot of his stats were in garbage time and against horrible teams.

Dalton was on a team that was tanking and that's why he was benched. Who in their right mind would look at Finley and say he was better than Dalton, even in practice. The team was DoA last year considering we lost 3 of our starting OL and our top WR before the season started, and we had a rookie HC who never even called plays in the NFL.

I do think that Dalton has a real chance of getting the starting job if they have a real competition.
Reply/Quote
Still?... With the Andy Dalton?

Let him go fellas.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 02:07 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Dak isn't so good that he deserves a mega contract. He had a really good team in a bad division and went 8-8. A lot of his stats were in garbage time and against horrible teams.

Dalton was on a team that was tanking and that's why he was benched. Who in their right mind would look at Finley and say he was better than Dalton, even in practice. The team was DoA last year considering we lost 3 of our starting OL and our top WR before the season started, and we had a rookie HC who never even called plays in the NFL.

I do think that Dalton has a real chance of getting the starting job if they have a real competition.

Completely disagree wrt Dak. He’s one of the best young QB’s in the league right now. Absolutely top 10, imo. “Garbage time” or whatever excuse you want to throw out there is bs. Every QB plays bad teams, they don’t all light it up like he did. He has a career PR of 97.0 that’s a really good QB. He’s extremely efficient, and doesn’t turn the ball over much. Especially for the yds he puts up. The only other QB that put up that many yards last season threw 30 INT’s.

We were not tanking. They wouldn’t have gone back to Dalton if we were. They also wouldn’t have been trying so hard to beat Miami (who also needed a QB) in OT.

There is no QB competition in Dallas. Dalton only starts if Dak holds out, or is injured.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 02:15 AM)jason Wrote: Still?... With the Andy Dalton?

Let him go fellas.

I wish we could.

But people are starting threads like this, and saying absurd things like there’ll be a QB competition in Dallas...

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 02:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Completely disagree wrt Dak. He’s one of the best young QB’s in the league right now. Absolutely top 10, imo. “Garbage time” or whatever excuse you want to throw out there is bs. Every QB plays bad teams, they don’t all light it up like he did. He has a career PR of 97.0 that’s a really good QB. He’s extremely efficient, and doesn’t turn the ball over much. Especially for the yds he puts up. The only other QB that put up that many yards last season threw 30 INT’s.

We were not tanking. They wouldn’t have gone back to Dalton if we were. They also wouldn’t have been trying so hard to beat Miami (who also needed a QB) in OT.

There is no QB competition in Dallas. Dalton only starts if Dak holds out, or is injured.

Dak has had one of the best RBs and OL in the league since he's been starting. He's had a really good supporting cast. How did he only go 8-8 in a weak division if he's one of the best young QBs? Dak benefited greatly garbage time because they were getting trounced and the opposing defense started playing defense. Why didn't he go 12-4 if he put up such great stats?
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 02:37 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Dak has had one of the best RBs and OL in the league since he's been starting. He's had a really good supporting cast. How did he only go 8-8 in a weak division if he's one of the best young QBs? Dak benefited greatly garbage time because they were getting trounced and the opposing defense started playing defense. Why didn't he go 12-4 if he put up such great stats?

Idk why they went 8-8, it certainly wasn’t the fault of the QB with 4902 yds, 30 TD, 11 INT, and a PR of 99.7. If I had to single out one area of weakness with that team it would be Jason Garrett. And they rightfully fired him.

I don’t even understand the bolded statement.

You can talk about their weak division, but they also had a tough schedule, and some of their losses were against the best teams in the league (NO 13-3, GB 13-3, Vikes 10-6, Pats 12-4, BUF 10-6).

But this is pointless, I think Dak is FAR better than Dalton, and you don’t. We’re not going to change each other’s minds.

Reply/Quote
The question was did Andy want to play here after being benched last year the answer is no. He asked for a trade a long time ago we held on to him up till the draft hoping to get some picks in a trade. Andy is a good guy to the team and the fans so why not let him go chose where he wanted to play {Dallas}. He was released so late this year and so many QB switched teams this year that his best option was going home to play for his home state. Next year he will test the market with everyone else and find out what his value is. But his value was not 17 Million to back up Burrows weather we use that money to sign a new guy or extend someone on the team now. The money is better spent elsewhere not to mention Dalton wanted to leave. Good luck to him he is a good dude.
Reply/Quote