Poll: ??
Glad Andy's the backup in Dallas
Wish here were still here
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are you still happy
(06-12-2020, 10:53 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: No.

How many times does this need to be explained to you?

As many time as folks that have 0 clue want to. But we could easily make room for his contract. 

Are you really rolling with: We couldn't sign our draft picks if we'd kept Andy?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 10:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not going to jump off a cliff without Dalton, but I will say that since we are convinced Burrow is going to be our reason to live for the next 15+ years then keeping Dalton around as a mentor even for a single season would be a wise move.  We are pinning our worth as a franchise and even if the Cincinnati Bengals exist in the future upon Burrow, so why not do everything to make sure he's in the best situation to learn?

Having Burrow walk into a QB room that boasts a grand total of 4 starts and 0 wins at the NFL level seems to be starting things off on more of a "behind the 8 ball" situation than I'd like, but we did stuff in free agency so meh.

The QB in Buffalo (Josh Allen) came into a similar situation and did pretty well.  I remember him in that Bengals preseason game his rookie year thinking he would never make it.  The Bengal D-Line that day ate him for lunch, so much that I thought our line was going to dominate the whole season.  But to make the point, he worked through it and this past year actually led his team to the playoffs and he was pretty dang good down the stretch.

Burrow reminds me a lot of Josh Allen from a mobility standpoint, doesn't have near the arm strength, but does possess other intangibles that Allen may not, like accuracy, quick decision making, etc.

I don't expect a lot the first year with Burrow but do expect him to learn and grow and be ready to roll in year 2 just like Allen.

Back to the original OP question, we have plenty of QB mentors already with ZT and Van Pelt.  Hopefully we'll make use of the 17m somewhere before the season starts - Mixon contract for starters.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2020, 09:24 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: The QB in Buffalo (Josh Allen) came into a similar situation and did pretty well.  I remember him in that Bengals preseason game his rookie year thinking he would never make it.  The Bengal D-Line that day ate him for lunch, so much that I thought our line was going to dominate the whole season.  But to make the point, he worked through it and this past year actually led his team to the playoffs and he was pretty dang good down the stretch.

Burrow reminds me a lot of Josh Allen from a mobility standpoint, doesn't have near the arm strength, but does possess other intangibles that Allen may not, like accuracy, quick decision making, etc.

I don't expect a lot the first year with Burrow but do expect him to learn and grow and be ready to roll in year 2 just like Allen.

Back to the original OP question, we have plenty of QB mentors already with ZT and Van Pelt.  Hopefully we'll make use of the 17m somewhere before the season starts - Mixon contract for starters.

Van Pelt is now the OC for Cleveland.

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 08:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That we put $17 MIL back in Mikey's pocket?

I was in the VAST minority that suggested we should keep Andy around even at that $17 MIL price tag (although I suggested they "extend" him for a year and give him the money upfront to ease the cap) and use him as a mentor for JB. With the NFL extending the "virtual" workouts today there will be nothing until Training Camp (at the earliest).

So who's still good with Mikey putting $17 MIL back in Pumpkin's trust fund and having Finley showing JB the ropes?

I voted still here, but at same price Dallas paid.

Fans like to use history. When is the last time our first round pick was healthy enough to play every game?

Over time in 2020, that is the biggest concern. I hope all of our improvements do not go for nothing because we don't have a quality back up QB (he is needed and loses games for us).

I do think they could have restructured Dalton's contract for the same amount Dallas gave him and kept him at a reasonable price. I think they may regret it.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 08:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That we put $17 MIL back in Mikey's pocket?

I was in the VAST minority that suggested we should keep Andy around even at that $17 MIL price tag (although I suggested they "extend" him for a year and give him the money upfront to ease the cap) and use him as a mentor for JB. With the NFL extending the "virtual" workouts today there will be nothing until Training Camp (at the earliest).

So who's still good with Mikey putting $17 MIL back in Pumpkin's trust fund and having Finley showing JB the ropes?

1st Money can't carry over this year. So Mikey won't let it go to waste. He will extend Mixon or sign another OL.
2nd I was fine with keeping AD for a couple more years, but wanted a more cap friendly contract. 
3rd Boom or Bust this is JB's time now

So yes im happy with all thats been done up to this point. Still more to do, but trending up!
Reply/Quote
Yes, I'm still happy with the offseason and if the Bengals can sign Larry Warford to shore up the offensive line, I'll be absolutely ecstatic.

Recently I visited some of the Dallas Cowboys message boards to see what their fans thought about signing Andy Dalton.  First of all, Dallas fans are completely delusional; they think they're Super Bowl bound every season so picking through this unrealistic paradigm was difficult.  Still, I found several themes somewhat resembling common sense with respect to Andy Dalton.

1. Dallas fans either love Dak Prescott or they hate his guts.  There is no middle ground.  However, once I got past the love/hate, all Cowboys fans seem to agree Dak is asking for way too much money.  They all agree he is good but not good enough to sink half of Texas' GDP into his salary.  Most Dallas fans are ready to move on from Dak; I found that surprising.

2. Predominately because he is a Texan, most Dallas fans have love and admiration for Andy Dalton.  Virtually no one in Cowboy Nation hates his guts.  Some of the more observant posters want a true Dak vs. Andy competition in training camp and others, those with a more financial bent, think Andy should start because Jerry Jones signed him for pennies on the dollar compared with what Dak wants.  Some even think Andy is better than Dak based on his first five years in Cincinnati.

3. There are very few fans on Dallas message boards with the football intellect found here on our board.  The average football mind here on The Bengals Board is far and away better than the average football IQ among Cowboys fans. 
Reply/Quote
Andy’s life matters
Reply/Quote
The only reason to keep Andy around is if this team was very solid with talent all over with a really good coaching staff that had a realistic chance to go far into the playoffs.

Though have seemed on paper to make player improvements this offseason, we really wont know how much improved they will be until they play. And in regards to the coaching, we just have to hope & cross our fingers they will improve from last year, and hope Taylor isn't a Dave Shula 2.0.

So yeah, Andy had to go IMO because there really is no reason to keep him around just to help Burrow along, because there are too many "if's" on how good this team will be.

P.S. I have no idea what they saw in Finley last year, so why they are keeping him as a backup is a mystery to me unless he ate a lot of spinach and is able to throw the ball at an NFL back up level.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2020, 12:32 AM)bfine32 Wrote: As many time as folks that have 0 clue want to. But we could easily make room for his contract. 

Are you really rolling with: We couldn't sign our draft picks if we'd kept Andy?

Make room huh? That's an awful lot of effort to keep the worst QB in the NFL last year on the roster.

Get Finley in the weight room, and he'll be a great clipboard holder. Burrow doesn't need a mentor (especially by a mentor who doesn't want to mentor). He's displayed leadership traits on AND off the field.

I think this is more of some weird hang up about honoring contracts or something.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2020, 02:02 PM)jason Wrote: Make room huh? That's an awful lot of effort to keep the worst QB in the NFL last year on the roster.

Get Finley in the weight room, and he'll be a great clipboard holder. Burrow doesn't need a mentor (especially by a mentor who doesn't want to mentor). He's displayed leadership traits on AND off the field.

I think this is more of some weird hang up about honoring contracts or something.

Nah, it's more about investing in Joe. What QB in the NFL could give rookie QB better advice on how to prepare for an NFL season with a truncated Preseason than Andy Dalton. 

I've made my views of Andy's play know, but I never doubted his character I feel if we would have told him we're not trading you to start the season I have little doubt he wouldn't have handled professionally and been a huge asset to Joe
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2020, 12:25 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, I'm still happy with the offseason and if the Bengals can sign Larry Warford to shore up the offensive line, I'll be absolutely ecstatic.

Recently I visited some of the Dallas Cowboys message boards to see what their fans thought about signing Andy Dalton.  First of all, Dallas fans are completely delusional; they think they're Super Bowl bound every season so picking through this unrealistic paradigm was difficult.  Still, I found several themes somewhat resembling common sense with respect to Andy Dalton.

1. Dallas fans either love Dak Prescott or they hate his guts.  There is no middle ground.  However, once I got past the love/hate, all Cowboys fans seem to agree Dak is asking for way too much money.  They all agree he is good but not good enough to sink half of Texas' GDP into his salary.  Most Dallas fans are ready to move on from Dak; I found that surprising.

2. Predominately because he is a Texan, most Dallas fans have love and admiration for Andy Dalton.  Virtually no one in Cowboy Nation hates his guts.  Some of the more observant posters want a true Dak vs. Andy competition in training camp and others, those with a more financial bent, think Andy should start because Jerry Jones signed him for pennies on the dollar compared with what Dak wants.  Some even think Andy is better than Dak based on his first five years in Cincinnati.

3. There are very few fans on Dallas message boards with the football intellect found here on our board.  The average football mind here on The Bengals Board is far and away better than the average football IQ among Cowboys fans. 

Well, you know what they say, everything's bigger in Texas.  In particular their egos?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 09:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The only thing in that post that is true is Andy didn't want to be here.

It is entertaining to see many of the folks that have said Mike Brown is cheap now rolling with the "we couldn't afford him stance"

(06-12-2020, 10:16 PM)jason Wrote: Ok. We could afford him if we don't sign any of our draft picks. That draft was just for practice.

He's gone. We're all glad he's gone. He's glad he's gone. But Bfine (who knocked him every chance he could) wishes he was here... For $17 million.

This is a bit perplexing to me as well...Hmm
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2020, 02:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, you know what they say, everything's bigger in Texas.  In particular their egos?

There is a lot of truth to that. Egos and, well, maybe trucks. LOL 

Beer in Texas is still sold in 12oz bottles. That disappoints me.

Reply/Quote
I would have to see some actual football before I could ever answer this question.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Yes.

Far happier than I would have been keeping Andy around. I mean, we COULD have done it. But we'd have been right up against the cap, we might have lost some depth, extending Mixon would likely not have been possible, nor signing additional vet FAs or waiver casualties.

Would have preferred getting SOMETHING for Dalton, but it was always a longshot.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 08:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Personally I hope we achieve everything he never could here. 
100% agree.. Dalton has moved on. So should the Daltoners....
Reply/Quote
I'm happy to complain about my bowels. I know you all just can't wait, but you're just going to have to. I'll complain soon as the season actually starts.  Deal? ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
This is just stupid and pre mature
Reply/Quote

If Burrow goes down, what makes you think the Bengals could suddenly win a Super Bowl with Dalton?  They never won a playoff game with him.  

And I don't think that the $17 million is going to sit in Pumpkin's trust fund, but likely used to sign Mixon and maybe Green.

I would have welcomed Andy here as a backup for the money he got in Dallas, but Andy apparently wanted a fresh start and to be closer to home.  
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2020, 06:29 PM)Tony Wrote: 100% agree.. Dalton has moved on. So should the Daltoners....

They have moved on. The people that didn't like him can't let go.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote