Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Argument for and against Sewell.
(12-01-2020, 04:35 PM)Jpoore Wrote: What evidence to the contrary? The fact is 90 percent of pressure came from the IOL last year and that won’t change if u draft Sewell.

"We draft Sewell we end up with 4-5 wins. We trade back we’re a serious playoff contender."

Do i really need to explain? About either statement?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 06:17 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'd be ok with moving down in a couple of different scenarios. If someone offers a 2nd for us to move down to 5-6 I'd be good with it.  We could still get a top prospect like Parsons, Surtain, or Chase in that spot.  Otherwise, if we get the "whole draft this year plus picks next year" type deal, you take it.  I think where it's silly is if there's a guy in the 11-15 range you're in love with and are just trading back to justify drafting them.

A guy like Leatherwood in 2 makes sense because you can groom him behind Hart for a year.  Sewell is a great prospect, but I think many are overestimating just how much of an immediate upgrade he will be, if at all.  

How is a top 2 or 3 OA not an immediate upgrade?

I can see the other guys not being...but a top 2 or 3? C'mon man. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 07:08 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: How is a top 2 or 3 OA not an immediate upgrade?

I agree that the pick at the top of the draft likely improves the team more than a couple other high, but lesser draft picks, especially when it's the Bengals doing the picking.  Hell, in recent memory, we've seen them take the #9 overall selection and search out the absolute bust among the class.

Only way I could possibly see them trading down from 3 was to a team who really wanted a QB, and was still giving us a top 10 pick + a lot of change in return.  Even then, I'm still "iffy" on the idea.

Why?  Because as it currently stands, we could have bookend Tackles for the rest of Joe Burrow's career, pick up the best pass rusher with #35, and then go back for the best interior OL at #67.  That would work a long way toward curing much of what was wrong with this Bengals team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 07:08 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: How is a top 2 or 3 OA not an immediate upgrade?

I dont see your point. so you are saying that the PROJECTED 2/3 tackle in the draft is not an upgrade ??  i don;t see it as when they are picked 2,3,4 etc.. i look at it as 2nd tackle in the draft.. if this was a stronger QB or Def draft.. Sewell would be sliding down 2 to 3 spots I believe.. .. 

I am totally in if we can move back pick of the tackle like Williams that will be able to start day 1 and then also pick up a guard or a Dline in 1st round also starting day one.. we just upgraded 2 positions of big need over 1. 

Tell me how that is not an immediate upgrade ?
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 05:04 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: If you have a source for 90% of the pressure coming from IOL, I would be interested in seeing it. I haven't seen the discrepancy being that high.
I wish I knew how to post picks. But it was pff if I remember correctly. I have it on Twitter.
(12-01-2020, 05:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: God damn it, you guys are going to make me agree with Jpoore. I actually think a slide back may be in order here as there are actually 5 tackles in this class I think could be really good and while they may not be Sewell they can all be good starting tackles. The extra picks though have to address a pass rush, and potentially secondary, that needs a TON of help.
In My mock I went Farley at 8, Davis at 17, Leatherwood at 35, twyman at 67, weaver at 80.
(12-01-2020, 06:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: "We draft Sewell we end up with 4-5 wins. We trade back we’re a serious playoff contender."

Do i really need to explain? About either statement?
Yes. Bc what does Sewell do? He improves our rt situation but based on harts play this year not majorly. Meanwhile Davis provided a massive upgrade over our guard spot as well as leatherwood providing a decent upgrade over hart, not to mention the other pick or picks we got in a trade back for dline or secondary.

No one is saying it’s not a upgrade...It’s an immideate upgrade. But is it more of a upgrade than say Wyatt Davis, Alex leatherwood, Caleb Farley, and say a mid 2nd round pick?
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 06:17 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'd be ok with moving down in a couple of different scenarios. If someone offers a 2nd for us to move down to 5-6 I'd be good with it.  We could still get a top prospect like Parsons, Surtain, or Chase in that spot.  Otherwise, if we get the "whole draft this year plus picks next year" type deal, you take it.  I think where it's silly is if there's a guy in the 11-15 range you're in love with and are just trading back to justify drafting them.

A guy like Leatherwood in 2 makes sense because you can groom him behind Hart for a year.  Sewell is a great prospect, but I think many are overestimating just how much of an immediate upgrade he will be, if at all.  

Any move down would need to net a 2nd for me. In the 2nd there is going to be a bevy of pass rushers so we could double up on O line and grab a rusher for good measure.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 07:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: One thing I've learned around here is when you say "Show me one" chances are one will be found.

WTS, I don't think the Jeremiah rating changes the assertion that Sewell is the best OT prospect coming out this year. 

I'm just of the opinion that we could use a little more than the best OT prospect in this draft.

Even with a mediocre game from Jonah today; I watch that game today and say "Damn we need some pass rush". 

What the Bengals needed to beat the Giants was 3 more points. Maybe they score those points with Burrow in the game instead of doing pre-op for his blown out knee.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 04:36 AM)Jpoore Wrote: He’s not even the unanimous ot1. If some team gives u a haul with the holes we have u take it.

Someone for the Portland Trailblazers thought Sam Bowie was better than Michael Jordan, too.

Let’s not forget, it was less than a year ago you were banging the table not to draft Joe Burrow because he didn’t have a single elite trait. Not one. Mason Rudolph was your QB1 in 2018. Hernandez > Nelson. Murray won’t be drafted in first round. JT Barrett = Lamar Jackson.

Blah. Blah. Blah.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 08:58 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: What the Bengals needed to beat the Giants was 3 more points. Maybe they score those points with Burrow in the game instead of doing pre-op for his blown out knee.

That game is not even close if Burrow plays.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 07:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree that the pick at the top of the draft likely improves the team more than a couple other high, but lesser draft picks, especially when it's the Bengals doing the picking.  Hell, in recent memory, we've seen them take the #9 overall selection and search out the absolute bust among the class.

Only way I could possibly see them trading down from 3 was to a team who really wanted a QB, and was still giving us a top 10 pick + a lot of change in return.  Even then, I'm still "iffy" on the idea.

Why?  Because as it currently stands, we could have bookend Tackles for the rest of Joe Burrow's career, pick up the best pass rusher with #35, and then go back for the best interior OL at #67.  That would work a long way toward curing much of what was wrong with this Bengals team.

Right. It's not like they have a shortage of high round draft picks each round. 

If someone offered something between 8-15 along with their 2nd to move up to #3, i wouldn't cry about it...until Sewell made All Pro for the 7th time and was solidly heading towards Canton and the Bengals were looking back at the career of Andre Smith v2.0.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 09:24 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Someone for the Portland Trailblazers thought Sam Bowie was better than Michael Jordan, too.

Let’s not forget, it was less than a year ago you were banging the table not to draft Joe Burrow because he didn’t have a single elite trait. Not one. Mason Rudolph was your QB1 in 2018. Hernandez > Nelson. Murray won’t be drafted in first round. JT Barrett = Lamar Jackson.

Blah. Blah. Blah.

Just to be out there in left field a bit...it's things like (what you mentioned) that, which make me wonder if someone isn't just bored and trolling on one of their many accounts. 

Not saying anything. Just thoughts that go through my head...

Reply/Quote
The Bengals are currently 30th in sacks. Carl Lawson leads the team with 4.5 sacks. After him, no player has more than one sack. The DC ostracized Dunlop and dropped him to 3rd on the depth chart without even telling him to his face. Can’t utilize Geno Atkins worth a damn. The problem with the pass rush ain’t the personnel. There isn’t a Miles Garrett type pass rusher in this class. So I’m not sure who the Bengals could draft to improve the pass rush.
Reply/Quote
I follow a website fairly regular. They grade people per game. Let me tell ya. Wyatt Davis has had a couple of down games this year. He's not even listed the best G anymore.

Their top 8 in order

Alijah Vera-Tucker..USC
Wyatt Davis...OSU
Tre Smith...Tenn
Aaron Brooks...ND
Deonte Brown...ALA
Malaesala Aumaua-Laulu...ORE
Cade Mays...Tenn
Ben Cleveland...GA
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 09:48 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The Bengals are currently 30th in sacks. Carl Lawson leads the team with 4.5 sacks. After him, no player has more than one sack. The DC ostracized Dunlop and dropped him to 3rd on the depth chart without even telling him to his face. Can’t utilize Geno Atkins worth a damn. The problem with the pass rush ain’t the personnel.  There isn’t a Miles Garrett type pass rusher in this class. So I’m not sure who the Bengals could draft to improve the pass rush.

So by your logic, the Bengals best chances of making the team better would be to take advantage of their draft slot, and make the OL much better?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 10:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So by your logic, the Bengals best chances of making the team better would be to take advantage of their draft slot, and make the OL much better?

Sewell at #3 would most likely be best player available at a premier position and also a position of need and a position the Brown family will pay to re-sign when the time comes. I’d probably go in that direction. But, if the right offer came along I would trade down.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 09:24 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Someone for the Portland Trailblazers thought Sam Bowie was better than Michael Jordan, too.

Blah. Blah. Blah.
And look at that? We should have traded back. Would u rather have burrow or Herbert and 2-3 other high picks? Answer seems pretty obvious. We should have traded back last year and we should trade back this year. But sure go ahead and draft Sewell and still have worst oline in nfl.
Reply/Quote
I am where I was - unless we get rid of Turner Sewell will just come here and learn bad technique.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 03:43 AM)Jpoore Wrote: And look at that? We should have traded back. Would u rather have burrow or Herbert and 2-3 other high picks? Answer seems pretty obvious. We should have traded back last year and we should trade back this year. But sure go ahead and draft Sewell and still have worst oline in nfl.

If they roll out an OL of Sewell - FA - Hopkins - Spain/XSF - Jonah that will be far from the worst in the league.

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 07:40 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If they roll out an OL of Sewell - FA - Hopkins - Spain/XSF - Jonah that will be far from the worst in the league.

We have 0 money for free agency. 0. If we roll out a line of Sewell Redmond/mj, Hopkins, Spain, Jonah. Worst in league. Now, a line of leatherwood, Davis, Hopkins, Spain, Jonah. One of the best on paper.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 08:01 AM)Jpoore Wrote: We have 0 money for free agency. 0. If we roll out a line of Sewell Redmond/mj, Hopkins, Spain, Jonah. Worst in league. Now, a line of leatherwood, Davis, Hopkins, Spain, Jonah. One of the best on paper.

They have money to work with by drafting Penei Sewell that that makes Hart a cap casualty saving almost 6m. Bringing back Spain for 4m and signing say Larry Warford to a 1 year prove it at 8m would put a total of 6m off the cap with Hart's saving.

That brings a mostly veteran line of Sewell - Spain - Hopkins - Warford - Williams.

Finding solid Guards cheaper or later in the draft is more likely than finding a Top Offensive Tackle without paying top dollar. Look at guys that could be available in that 3rd or 4th round pick Deonte Brown, Zion Johnson, Ben Cleveland, Landon Dickerson, Trey Hill...Its a deep IOL draft. I'd like to see them add Trey Hill in the 4th as a possible replacement for Trey Hopkins.

What would you do when the trade offer doesn't come?....Which is more likely.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote