Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Argument for and against Sewell.
(11-30-2020, 10:08 AM)Synric Wrote: I think the point is moot since there is really only 1 team with the draft capital to move up and the Dolphins took a a tackle in the first and one in the second round last year. They will likely go a different route and let young guys try to develop in year 2.

I suppose the Cowboys could move up 1 spot for a 3rd but dont see that happening either.

Trade back is always a popular option but unless a team is sitting on a franchise QB with their pick it rarely happens inside the top 5.

I think SD will be motivated to reunite Herbert with Sewell. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 02:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think SD will be motivated to reunite Herbert with Sewell. 

I am actually worried about this, or even any other team. With Cincinnati picking third, we are relying on the Jaguars loving Justin Fields enoughh to not pull the trigger on any trade offers. Lawrence to NY, in my mind, is a lock. However Fields to Jacksonville, is not. They could move back to 5th (I think the Chargers are going to win at least one more game, likely the Broncos so I think they will pick later in the top 10), if the Chargers were so inclined, and pick up Trey Lance. If that happens, Cincinnati has the option of trading back or picking up Chase/someone else who could rise.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 06:43 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’re assuming we will hit on every single pick that we receive. The odds on that are extremely low. When’s the last time we drafted “4 great players” in one year? 2012 we got Kirkpatrick, Zeitler, Sanu, and Marvin Jones. Good draft, but idk that any of them were “great.”

We haven’t drafted a single Pro Bowler since Tyler Eifert in 2013. Bates will make it this year, but 6 years in between is a really long time. We could pass on Sewell, and then end up with another 2015 type draft. Sorry, but if Sewell goes somewhere else and lives up to his potential, and we end up with our best players from from an entire draft class being guys like Uzomah and Kroft I’d be pretty upset.

If we take Sewell and he doesn’t work out so be it. At least no one can argue with the choice.
Looks like we nailed this last draft out of the park. Pro bowl is a popularity content and we all know it. Bates likely won’t even make the pro bowl. Ur assuming we don’t hit. Say we trade back have 4 picks in top 60. If even 2 of those players turn out to be top 10 at their positions? It’s a win.
(11-30-2020, 10:56 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Your strategy implies a competent front office and scouting department that does not get cute with those picks. I’d counter with Cedric Ogbuehi, Billy Price, John Ross, Jake Fisher, Drew Sample, etc. This team does well with obvious picks, and not so well when they have to think.

I’d also argue that in this division, calling the Bengals a serious playoff threat under your scenario is a bit optimistic. Burrow will likely miss a few games at minimum next year. Thinley and Brandon Allen aren’t winning games.
People keep talking about the price ced fisher etc drafts. Those were regarded a slow end drafts with few high end talent players. That is far from the case this year. This year the draft has extremely high set of top end talent. We knocked this last draft out of the park. We could do it again. Give us 4 top 60 picks and see what we do.
Reply/Quote
After seeing what happened to Joe Burrow and Joe Mixon this season, I can't really see a solid argument against drafting Penei Sewell.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I need to see Turner gone before I get comfy with sitting at 3 and taking Sewell, ESPECIALLY given his being from Oregon.

Assuming we are not stupid and sign Spain longer term, we still need a real starting caliber Guard to make sure MJ is not getting our QB killed anymore. We also need a better RT.

On defense we need to be sure we don't lose players like Alexander and we DESPERATELY need a new DC and upgrades on the DL.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 10:56 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Your strategy implies a competent front office and scouting department that does not get cute with those picks.  I’d counter with Cedric Ogbuehi, Billy Price, John Ross, Jake Fisher, Drew Sample, etc.  This team does well with obvious picks, and not so well when they have to think.

I’d also argue that in this division, calling the Bengals a serious playoff threat under your scenario is a bit optimistic.  Burrow will likely miss a few games at minimum next year.  Thinley and Brandon Allen aren’t winning games.

If you don't trust your scouts, coaches, and DPP to trade down because you don't trust them with anything other than obvious picks, you need to replace your scouts, coaches, and DPP.  
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 05:39 AM)Jpoore Wrote: We draft Sewell we end up with 4-5 wins. We trade back we’re a serious playoff contender.

There is zero evidence to support that claim and tons of evidence to the contrary. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 02:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So you guys are saying we'd go with the one who played, instead of the higher rated prospect?

We agree. 

In that instance, yes. Though i don't doubt there would have been some discussion between Tua and Herbert. My pick was Herbert, mainly due to injury concerns, not just because he played. 

I don't think that translates to this year with the tackles though. There's a reason Sewell is rated as high as he is, even without playing this year. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I dont think it reflects well he is not Playing this year and will only have like 16 games under his belt and hurt half games as freshman and has been perceived as a finesse tackle player more than a mauler. Would really look to move down for more quality picks.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 10:08 AM)Synric Wrote: I think the point is moot since there is really only 1 team with the draft capital to move up and the Dolphins took a a tackle in the first and one in the second round last year. They will likely go a different route and let young guys try to develop in year 2.

I suppose the Cowboys could move up 1 spot for a 3rd but dont see that happening either.

Trade back is always a popular option but unless a team is sitting on a franchise QB with their pick it rarely happens inside the top 5.

1.) If Sewell is the player everyone thinks he is then Miami might not care who they have at Tackle.

2.) There 4 QBs that are currently projected as franchise QBs in this upcoming draft.The Bengals might get great deals for one of them.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 01:21 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I dont think it reflects well he is not o
Playing this year and will only have like 16 games under hidms belt and hurt half games as freshman and has been perceived as a finesse tackle player more than a mauler. Would really look to move down for more quality picks.

Sure looks like a mauler to me when I watch him.

https://youtu.be/NcaDs-cuMco

How often does a freaking OT have a highlight video with 200,000+ views? Kid is special.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 01:21 AM)J24 Wrote: 1.) If Sewell is the player everyone thinks he is then Miami might not care who they have at Tackle.

2.) There 4 QBs that are currently projected as franchise QBs in this upcoming draft.The Bengals might get great deals for one of them.

I'm generally in favor of staying put and taking Sewell.  But I'm rooting for the Giants to win the NFC East so that Washington is in the top 10 and in position to make the Bengals a huge offer.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 01:21 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I dont think it reflects well he is not o
Playing this year and will only have like 16 games under hidms belt and hurt half games as freshman and has been perceived as a finesse tackle  player more than a mauler.  Would really look to move down for more quality picks.

I'm not so sure about that.  If you watch him, he is quite aggressive in run blocking, often getting multiple blocks by hustling down field after sealing off his first target.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The team I'm specifically looking at for a trade is MIA.
They have two 1sts and two 2nds, and they are currently at 7-4.
They may feel they are just a couple pieces away, so they may be willing to trade up to the Bengals' pick for that one elite game changer like Sewell, Chase, or Rousseau vs drafting multiple 1st and 2nd rounders later in the rounds.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 12:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not so sure about that.  If you watch him, he is quite aggressive in run blocking, often getting multiple blocks by hustling down field after sealing off his first target.

well  I read that was the concern of two draft analysis.. I only watched one game of Oregon last year so I don;t have a judgement call just what I read by draft analysis people.. it does seem feasible with a pass first college league.. I don;t think that is going to push him down but I still don;t think it helps him not playing this year, coming out early with one full year of college ball.. I think that could enter maybe trading back for more high round picks to fill various needs and still get a quality Oline or maybe two of them
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 02:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The team I'm specifically looking at for a trade is MIA.
They have two 1sts and two 2nds, and they are currently at 7-4.
They may feel they are just a couple pieces away, so they may be willing to trade up to the Bengals' pick for that one elite game changer like Sewell, Chase, or Rousseau vs drafting multiple 1st and 2nd rounders later in the rounds.

good point.. they will be getting phone calls and making phone calls to move up
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 07:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: After seeing what happened to Joe Burrow and Joe Mixon this season, I can't really see a solid argument against drafting Penei Sewell.
That’s the point. It depends what u get. I’m not gonna trade the pick for just anything. But if I can trade back and have a total of 4 top 60 picks, essentially guaranteed Wyatt Davis AND Alex leatherwood?as well as 2 more top picks for dline and secondary? I’m doing it. 90 percent of qb pressure this year come from IOL. That’s where u gotta focus first.
(11-30-2020, 11:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: There is zero evidence to support that claim and tons of evidence to the contrary. 
What evidence to the contrary? The fact is 90 percent of pressure came from the IOL last year and that won’t change if u draft Sewell.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 04:35 PM)Jpoore Wrote: That’s the point. It depends what u get. I’m not gonna trade the pick for just anything. But if I can trade back and have a total of 4 top 60 picks, essentially guaranteed Wyatt Davis AND Alex leatherwood?as well as 2 more top picks for dline and secondary?  I’m doing it. 90 percent of qb pressure this year come from IOL. That’s where u gotta focus first.  
What evidence to the contrary? The fact is 90 percent of pressure came from the IOL last year and that won’t change if u draft Sewell.

If you have a source for 90% of the pressure coming from IOL, I would be interested in seeing it. I haven't seen the discrepancy being that high.
Reply/Quote
God damn it, you guys are going to make me agree with Jpoore. I actually think a slide back may be in order here as there are actually 5 tackles in this class I think could be really good and while they may not be Sewell they can all be good starting tackles. The extra picks though have to address a pass rush, and potentially secondary, that needs a TON of help.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 05:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: God damn it, you guys are going to make me agree with Jpoore. I actually think a slide back may be in order here as there are actually 5 tackles in this class I think could be really good and while they may not be Sewell they can all be good starting tackles. The extra picks though have to address a pass rush, and potentially secondary, that needs a TON of help.

I'd be ok with moving down in a couple of different scenarios. If someone offers a 2nd for us to move down to 5-6 I'd be good with it.  We could still get a top prospect like Parsons, Surtain, or Chase in that spot.  Otherwise, if we get the "whole draft this year plus picks next year" type deal, you take it.  I think where it's silly is if there's a guy in the 11-15 range you're in love with and are just trading back to justify drafting them.

A guy like Leatherwood in 2 makes sense because you can groom him behind Hart for a year.  Sewell is a great prospect, but I think many are overestimating just how much of an immediate upgrade he will be, if at all.  
Reply/Quote