Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Article on Taylor
(02-18-2022, 12:39 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The problem with the offense mostly is tied to our run game. It’s certainly not the fault of running back talent. We were 26th in yards per rush. So teams didn’t have to worry about our run game yet we were 8th though in points per play. What an amazing dichotomy. 26th in yards per rush but 8th in points per play. Fixing our run game will fix a ton of Redzone issues and sacks.

Crazy stats there. Can't imagine more than a couple teams, at most , between the YPC average and with all the sacks JB incurred that were in more 2nd/3rd and long situations than Cinci. Simply can't win (or can you.lol) in this league for long with that going for you.
Reply/Quote
His play calling got us to the super bowl and one play away from winning it. He even had a play that would work if the line could protect for 2 seconds. He did all of this with a terrible o line against some of the best pass rushers and dlines in the NFL down the stretch. He’s a damn good coach and play caller. I’ve also said this before but everyone saying he needs to give up play calling duties will be damn glad he doesn’t when our OC’s start getting HC jobs after 1-2 seasons here. We won’t be forced to constantly change our systems like we did under Marvin as soon as our offenses got good.

Fix the o line and the red zone offense will be MUCH better. Hard to score in the red zone when you can’t run with any success or consistency. This season was never supposed to end with a trip to the super bowl. That was supposed to be next year best case scenario after we attacked the o line issue.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 03:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I like how your summary points out that the article praises Taylor...then you post bulletpoint after bulletpoint of statistics and analysis showing that our offense was bad under Taylor.

Even if Taylor won that Superbowl, I wouldn't be enough for some of these people.. No football knowledge at all imo... The Oline was so bad Taylor's hand was forced this year and he still made it to the big game. What more do you want?
Reply/Quote
When we win it all next year there will be those that say:

"We would have won by more if Zac didn't handicap us"
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 01:00 PM)Tony Wrote: Even if Taylor won that Superbowl, I wouldn't be enough for some of these people.. No football knowledge at all imo... The Oline was so bad Taylor's hand was forced this year and he still made it to the big game. What more do you want?

They can fix the OL. There’s 3 good centers in FA. Try Tre Hopkins at guard and let him Carman, Spain, and Adeniji battle it out. Maybe pick up a mid level priced guard in FA to add to the competition. Draft at #31 a tackle. Resign Reiff and Spain
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 01:00 PM)Tony Wrote: Even if Taylor won that Superbowl, I wouldn't be enough for some of these people.. No football knowledge at all imo... The Oline was so bad Taylor's hand was forced this year and he still made it to the big game. What more do you want?

Maybe, maybe not.  We can all play "what if?" all day.  It doesn't really matter ultimately.  I just don't feel, and never have, that Zac gets the most out of the roster he's given when it comes to playcalling.  It's not saying he's a bad HC.  It's not me being angry and not celebrating the season and the success.  I just have always felt, even when winning in the playoffs, that ZT doesn't call plays to the ability of the team.  I think the talent on the roster with some of these guys overcame the play calls.  And I think Zac calls some brilliant plays.  There was some great breakdowns last season on plays he called that *should* have worked really well, but couldn't because of the line.  So then you plan around that.  This OL sucks.  But I also don't think they're bottom of the barrel scrubs you can't figure out how to work with a little better.  

I'm not saying Taylor should be fired.  I just would like to see him improve in his OC duties if he insists on keeping them.  I don't think that makes me a negative person who can't be happy about anything.  

Hopefully the OL is fixed this offseason to the degree everyone wants and it will be a moot point next season.  I think if Zac has his ideal roster on the field, the offense will be insane and completely unstoppable. 
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 01:16 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Maybe, maybe not.  We can all play "what if?" all day.  It doesn't really matter ultimately.  I just don't feel, and never have, that Zac gets the most out of the roster he's given when it comes to playcalling.  It's not saying he's a bad HC.  It's not me being angry and not celebrating the season and the success.  I just have always felt, even when winning in the playoffs, that ZT doesn't call plays to the ability of the team.  I think the talent on the roster with some of these guys overcame the play calls.  And I think Zac calls some brilliant plays.  There was some great breakdowns last season on plays he called that *should* have worked really well, but couldn't because of the line.  So then you plan around that.  This OL sucks.  But I also don't think they're bottom of the barrel scrubs you can't figure out how to work with a little better.  

I'm not saying Taylor should be fired.  I just would like to see him improve in his OC duties if he insists on keeping them.  I don't think that makes me a negative person who can't be happy about anything.  

Hopefully the OL is fixed this offseason to the degree everyone wants and it will be a moot point next season.  I think if Zac has his ideal roster on the field, the offense will be insane and completely unstoppable. 

You are not saying Taylor should be fired? Gosh I’d hope not. There are a lot of teams and I mean a lot of teams with a better roster. But they don’t have the culture or the focus to go and beat KC and Andy Reid twice. Baltimore and John Harbaugh twice. Mike Tomlin and Big Ben twice. Make it the biggest and quickest team turnaround probably in NFL history. This year if they fix the OL will be a better barometer on Zac the OC. This roster was awful.
Reply/Quote

They can fix the OL. There’s 3 good centers in FA. Try Tre Hopkins at guard and let him Carman, Spain, and Adeniji battle it out. Maybe pick up a mid level priced guard in FA to add to the competition. Draft at #31 a tackle. Resign Reiff and Spain
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 03:42 PM)Big Boss Wrote: It almost always feels like the defense knows exactly what type of play we are going to run the second our offense lines up.  McVay's comment just sums up what I've felt all year.

I understand that Zac may have been handicapped by the offensive line, but if he's going to remain the playcaller he needs to be more creative and disguise looks.

There is something to be said about being able to execute a run from what appears to be a passing formation and vice versa.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 01:41 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You are not saying Taylor should be fired? Gosh I’d hope not. There are a lot of teams and I mean a lot of teams with a better roster. But they don’t have the culture or the focus to go and beat KC and Andy Reid twice. Baltimore and John Harbaugh twice. Mike Tomlin and Big Ben twice. Make it the biggest and quickest team turnaround probably in NFL history. This year if they fix the OL will be a better barometer on Zac the OC. This roster was awful.

I was last offseason.  100%.  But it seems to be the insinuation if you question his playcalling or say that maybe he shouldn't call the plays at all and just focus on being a HC.  ZT has a lock on the culture and has had this team eating out of his hand since he came in.  I like him.  Just think there are maybe some gaps in skills for some of the other things he takes on. 
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 01:57 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I was last offseason.  100%.  But it seems to be the insinuation if you question his playcalling or say that maybe he shouldn't call the plays at all and just focus on being a HC.  ZT has a lock on the culture and has had this team eating out of his hand since he came in.  I like him.  Just think there are maybe some gaps in skills for some of the other things he takes on. 

I think he’s still learning as a play caller. Bill Belichick was about the same age as Zac when he first became a head coach. He was 36-44 his first 5 seasons. It took him 9 years to get to the SB. I get he improved. I bet none of his rosters were as bad as Zac’s first several. Belichick was a nobody early yet Taylor is a near SB winning coach.? Let’s get this OL fixed and see if he’s not a hell of a lot better OC.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 02:15 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think he’s still learning as a play caller. Bill Belichick was about the same age as Zac when he first became a head coach. He was 36-44 his first 5 seasons. It took him 9 years to get to the SB. I get he improved. I bet none of his rosters were as bad as Zac’s first several. Belichick was a nobody early yet Taylor is a near SB winning coach.? Let’s get this OL fixed and see if he’s not a hell of a lot better OC.

I agree.  I think if he has the OL and roster that he wants, he'll be a force.  The good news is, I think they're right on the cusp of that.  And even without it, they're a team that made the SB this year and lost by a play.  Which is just remarkable. 
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 02:29 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I agree.  I think if he has the OL and roster that he wants, he'll be a force.  The good news is, I think they're right on the cusp of that.  And even without it, they're a team that made the SB this year and lost by a play.  Which is just remarkable. 

By 'on the cusp' of a good offensive line...they need to bring in 2-3-4 high quality starters. Needing that many new starters, also means that probably any team in the NFL is on the cusp of having a good OL.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 03:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: By 'on the cusp' of a good offensive line...they need to bring in 2-3-4 high quality starters. Needing that many new starters, also means that probably any team in the NFL is on the cusp of having a good OL.  Hilarious

Well, they needed a whole new defense, save four players, and they pulled that off. I'm starting to think maybe that New Dey stuff was for real.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
ZT let's JB run the offense that JB is comfortable with. Personally, I think that's a big reason for JB's success. Hes not being put in situations where he's not comfortable.

I don't think it's an issue of zt not being an able signal caller. It's trying to get a guy who just finished his first season comfortable with a bigger playbook. And that's going to take time.

I'm ok with that. We are good enough to make a SB. It's only going to get better.
Reply/Quote