Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
As figured, no changes coming
(12-30-2019, 07:34 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Another year of just horrible decision making by this front office. They dealt themselves a bad hand and they're now deciding to stand pat with all the marbles on the table. Wow!

There's no desire to win a championship with this front office. There just cannot be.

What's the most remarkable thing about all of this is that Mike Brown and family did it to themselves. It's actually laughable.

Yeah any success or championship is, to quote Bob Ross, “a happy accident”. They aren’t opposed to winning a championship, but it’s not close to a priority.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The only thing Taylor is good at is talking. He makes himself sound like a genius. King of the moral victory which is only accepted by the Brown family
Reply/Quote
I don’t think that fans are unreasonable. The head coach sucked but most of us can see giving him a second year. The DC showed some signs that he could coach, I’m guessing that most fans could buy into a year two shot. The Offensive Playcalling was pretty terrible all year. I don’t see anyway at all that a case can be made to stay pat there. One case would be that ownership doesn’t care. Again, it’s an obvious problem so what other answer is there?
Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor came into a shitty position to start the year on very short notice so I don't mind another year, but the draft was terrible. I can see them moving on from Some staff, but just because no one has been fired today doesn't mean it won't happen.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 11:35 PM)Okeana Wrote: Zac Taylor came into a shitty position to start the year on very short notice so I don't mind another year, but the draft was terrible. I can see them moving on from Some staff, but just because no one has been fired today doesn't mean it won't happen.

I’d settle for Taylor relinquishing the play calling. Let Callahan have a crack at it. He can’t be much worse than Taylor was.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 11:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d settle for Taylor relinquishing the play calling. Let Callahan have a crack at it. He can’t be much worse than Taylor was.

I think that's reasonable. Also scrap trying to be the Rams and look at what Burrow does at LSU and copy that.

Honestly, say we win 5 games next year. To me, that's ok as long as guys develop. The worst thing that could happen is this staff ruin Burrow.
Reply/Quote
2-14 record
Offense: 26th in yards, 30th in points
Defense: 29th in yards, 25th in points allowed

Not sure how we can look at that and say "they all just need seasoning".

People keep saying the defense got better, but we allowed 27, 34, 38 and 23 points over the last 4 weeks. I'm with Leonard Leap. Bad coaches don't get better just because you keep them. How many coaching staffs started 2-14, stayed 100% intact and wound up being great? I'm sure there are examples, but what are the odds?

A lot of people on here defended the Terryl Austin hire. A lot of people wanted to keep Zampese for another go. Sometimes coaches just are what their resumes say they are, and we've got a lot of weak resumes on this team.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 11:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 2-14 record
Offense: 26th in yards, 30th in points
Defense: 29th in yards, 25th in points allowed

Not sure how we can look at that and say "they all just need seasoning".

People keep saying the defense got better, but we allowed 27, 34, 38 and 23 points over the last 4 weeks. I'm with Leonard Leap. Bad coaches don't get better just because you keep them. How many coaching staffs started 2-14, stayed 100% intact and wound up being great? I'm sure there are examples, but what are the odds?

A lot of people on here defended the Terryl Austin hire. A lot of people wanted to keep Zampese for another go. Sometimes coaches just are what their resumes say they are, and we've got a lot of weak resumes on this team.

Agreed. The improvement was minimal.

Look a team like the Dolphins beat the Pat's. Many of the bad teams did bigger things that count as improvement.

To spot improvement here, you have to generally look at a 3 game stretch.

The running game improved. That's about all.

The fear is these guys could ruin Burrow. It's a real fear.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 12:00 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed. The improvement was minimal.

Look a team like the Dolphins beat the Pat's. Many of the bad teams did bigger things that count as improvement.

The DL definitely improved over the second half of the season as well. Dunlap, Hubbard, Lawson...those guys all really turned it on down the stretch.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 12:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The DL definitely improved over the second half of the season as well. Dunlap, Hubbard, Lawson...those guys all really turned it on down the stretch.

Dunlap especially.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 12:00 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed. The improvement was minimal.

A very real fear. If we see a status quo Bengals off-season, it'll be obvious that the FO is just being lazy and relying 100% on Burrow to drive ticket sales. A highly motivated NFL front office could fix many of our problems in just a few months. We could easily clear up as much as $100 million in cap space by trimming some fat.

If this FO has ever been serious about winning a championship...if it's their #1 priority, then now is the time to be aggressive and completely retool this roster. It could very easily be done. Instead, I worry that we'll be keeping some of this dead weight around, or not spending to the cap. Being fully passive in FA, etc.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
What I see is this: The Front Office is just kicking the can down the street again. A Super Bowl is always five years away. Drafting Joe Burrow without upgrading the roster, game plan, and play calling will get more butts in seats but it will not produce a winning season. Oh, sure, there will be people who will pay good money to watch Joe Burrow play in Cincinnati but even more people would pay good money to see the Bengals win. I genuinely like Joe and I do not want him to turn into the Bengals’ version of 1970s era OJ Simpson. Fans came out to watch OJ even though the Buffalo Bills were crap on a stick. I fear Joe Burrow might turn out to be like Archie Manning with the Saints: A terrific quarterback surrounded by a few average players but mostly surrounded by talentless goo.

I’ll grant everyone Zac Taylor largely inherited another man’s roster. That’s significant — but so is finishing 2-14. I’ll grant the team had injuries to crucial players — but on every other team it’s “next man up!” I’ll grant the team played hard — but hard play with no scheme is not effective.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 12:08 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: A very real fear. If we see a status quo Bengals off-season, it'll be obvious that the FO is just being lazy and relying 100% on Burrow to drive ticket sales. A highly motivated NFL front office could fix many of our problems in just a few months. We could easily clear up as much as $100 million in cap space by trimming some fat.

If this FO has ever been serious about winning a championship...if it's their #1 priority, then now is the time to be aggressive and completely retool this roster. It could very easily be done. Instead, I worry that we'll be keeping some of this dead weight around, or not spending to the cap. Being fully passive in FA, etc.

I think free agents know the reputation of management and see we have poor coaching. It's going to be hard to add quality guys.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 01:02 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: What I see is this: The Front Office is just kicking the can down the street again.  A Super Bowl is always five years away.  Drafting Joe Burrow without upgrading the roster, game plan, and play calling will get more butts in seats but it will not produce a winning season. Oh, sure, there will be people who will pay good money to watch Joe Burrow play in Cincinnati but even more people would pay good money to see the Bengals win.  I genuinely like Joe and I do not want him to turn into the Bengals’ version of 1970s era OJ Simpson.  Fans came out to watch OJ even though the Buffalo Bills were crap on a stick.  I fear Joe Burrow might turn out to be like Archie Manning with the Saints: A terrific quarterback surrounded by a few average players but mostly surrounded by talentless goo.

I’ll grant everyone Zac Taylor largely inherited another man’s roster.  That’s significant — but so is finishing 2-14.  I’ll grant the team had injuries to crucial players — but on every other team it’s next man up!”  I’ll grant the team played hard — but hard play with no scheme is not effective.

Honestly, I think people assume Burrow is going to throw 4 TDs a game right off the bat. Hes going to need developed.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 09:44 PM)jason Wrote: It is crazy that Ryan Tannehill is finally playing like a first round draft pick what; 8 years into his career? A similar thing happened in Miami with Devante Parker this year too. The guy was an absolute bust for 4 years until this season.

Hell yea, next year is Ross’s time to shine. J/k would be nice though.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 01:09 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, I think people assume Burrow is going to throw 4 TDs a game right off the bat. Hes going to need developed.

That’s a great point. It is COMPLETELY unrealistic for this to be the fans’ expectation of Joe Burrow or anyone else coming out of college. Throwing seven touchdown passes against Oklahoma is one thing, doing it against Clemson is a whole ‘nother can of worms, and doing it against the Ravens or 49ers is another dimension beyond. Clemson has an outstanding defense so I’m looking to see how Joe performs. I know he’ll do well against Clemson but I don’t see him throwing for seven touchdowns against them.

So, yes, development! How will Joe grow into the job? He’ll need coaching — good coaching — and I’m afraid there’s not much of that in Cincinnati these days.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 12:08 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Dunlap especially.

All 3 of them really.

In his last 5 games played Lawson had 3 sacks, 9 solo tackles, 4 TFL, and 15 QB hits.

Hubbard’s last 5 games he had 5.5 sacks, 16 solo tackles, 5 TFL, and 5 QB hits.

The DL was feasting the last month or so.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 01:18 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s a great point.  It is COMPLETELY unrealistic for this to be the fans’ expectation of Joe Burrow or anyone else coming out of college.  Throwing seven touchdown passes against Oklahoma is one thing, doing it against Clemson is a whole ‘nother can of worms, and doing it against the Ravens or 49ers is another dimension beyond.  Clemson has an outstanding defense so I’m looking to see how Joe performs.  I know he’ll do well against Clemson but I don’t see him throwing for seven touchdowns against them.  

So, yes, development!  How will Joe grow into the job?  He’ll need coaching — good coaching — and I’m afraid there’s not much of that in Cincinnati these days.

Yep. The throw windows are tighter in the NFL and our scheme doesnt get our wrs much space. Plus, Taylor generally calls the wrong or sub-optimal plays.

The Pro is we'll have Mixon who is very good.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 12:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The DL definitely improved over the second half of the season as well. Dunlap, Hubbard, Lawson...those guys all really turned it on down the stretch.

Dunlap and Hubbard were already good players. It took a bad scheme to hold them down.

Also, gotta notice that over the past 8 games the Bengals only played two teams with a winning record. Not exactly like the first half of the season.

The team ended up 2-14 matching the team's history worst, yet it has more talent that the previous 2-14 team had.

More bad drafts and ruining Burrow are real concerns. Dalton certainly didn't improve this season. He went from average to way below average in a single season. And that's a veteran, not a rookie.

Reply/Quote
The Bengals should do annual contracts for coaches to prove themselves. None of this 3-5 yr contracts for an organization with an abysmal record.
Reply/Quote