Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
As figured, no changes coming
(12-31-2019, 01:26 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Dunlap and Hubbard were already good players. It took a bad scheme to hold them down.

Also, gotta notice that over the past 8 games the Bengals only played two teams with a winning record. Not exactly like the first half of the season.

The team ended up 2-14 matching the team's history worst, yet it has more talent that the previous 2-14 team had.

More bad drafts and ruining Burrow are real concerns. Dalton certainly didn't improve this season. He went from average to way below average in a single season. And that's a veteran, not a rookie.

Yep. People also act like just being on the job longer makes a coach better. This staff needs an experienced offensive mind as a mentor. They have none.

Taylor meets with Bengals management daily.

Going inexperienced HC and inexperienced coordinators robs them of mentors.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 02:03 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. People also act like just being on the job lo gre makes a coach better. This staff needs an experienced offensive mind as a mentor. They have none.

Bringing in Bill Callahan would be nice, but you know Zac’s boy Turner isn’t going anywhere. Maybe he’d be willing to take some kind of special offensive assistant position to work with his son?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 09:49 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Ok, I get that, but... WTF was he ranting about? Like... how does he know no changes? Is one goofball spewing nonsense worth parroting?

I thought I missed some weird press conference or something. Turns out, nope... just another fan still drunk from game day aimlessly ranting into the air. 

WhoDey2  ZT gave his end of season press conference.

What’s the first order of business for you this offseason? 
You just played 16 games, so make sure we have all that in order, and then start preparing. I don’t think anything is official with the Senior Bowl yet, but that would be a great opportunity for our staff if that is able to happen, and it’s something we would welcome. We want to get a great chance to coach those guys and see what they’re all about. But that’s the next step for us — evaluating our own roster and where we want to head. From there, it’s starting to get ready for free agency and start to scout these guys for the draft.”

[b]With regard to this year’s players whose contracts are expiring, would you ideally like to get deals done with them before free agency begins?[/b]

“Those are things we get the chance to talk through this week so that we’re all on the same page, and then make those decisions. Right now I don’t have anything further on that stuff.”

[b]Do you anticipate any coaching staff changes?[/b]

“We’re still ironing everything out and making sure we get the chance to evaluate ourselves and make the best decisions going forward.”

[b]When you see head coaches like Freddie Kitchens of the Browns and Pat Shurmur of the Giants get fired, how much does your job security mean to you after a 2-14 record?[/b]

“I’m thankful to have a job. There’s no question about that, because the expectations are so much higher. There’s a belief here that we’re heading in the right direction, although it didn’t show in the wins and losses. We know that we’re going to get things turned around and that there’s going to be great days ahead, and I’m fortunate that the Brown family sees that and believes in that.

[b]How excited are you to have the first choice in the draft?[/b]
“All we can handle is what’s in front of us, and we have the No. 1 pick. Now you really get the chance to know who you’re going to take. It’s not just hoping that Jonah Williams is going to be there (when you pick) and hoping nobody takes him before you. Now, we get to make that selection. There’s a lot that goes into that process, as we research these guys and try to reach a conclusion on who we want to take, but we have plenty of time for that. That’s the good news. We don’t have to make that pick until the end of April, so we’ll use all of that time to figure out what we want to do.”

[b]Which position groups would you like to improve this offseason?[/b]
“Those are things that we want to make sure we talk about as a staff this week. You do talk about it as the season goes, with the improvements we need to make. But you get the chance now to take a step back, take New Year’s off, take a deep breath there and then come back and finalize the direction we believe we need to head in all areas of our personnel.”

[b]Entering free agency, do you feel that the front office is going to give you what you need to make improvements in that area?[/b]
“We’ve been on the same page every step of the way. Again, those are conversations we’ll have this week to make sure we’re all heading in the same direction — which I know that we are — just with how we see the personnel going forward. Again, that’s something that we’ll take care of now that the season is over with.”

[b]Is it too early to say the team will draft anybody but Louisiana State QB Joe Burrow?[/b]
“That would be way too early (laughs). Our personnel staff has done a great job of starting the process and evaluating these guys. But obviously the coaching staff likes to watch the players as well, and we haven’t watched a snap on anybody yet. We’ll just piece together that process as we go.”

...so no real changes...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 02:03 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. People also act like just being on the job lo gre makes a coach better. This staff needs an experienced offensive mind as a mentor. They have none.

Those daily meetings are a committee of inexperience. What exactly does Katie contribute to them? I made pudding for the kids this morning? Seriously, it's a joke. Troy and Katie have to rely on Taylor to tell them what is what, and that's scary.

Reply/Quote
Let's see now.. it's been one day since the season ended and the entire team and all the coaches haven't been canned yet. Well, that's certainly a reason to panic. I mean if it had been two days instead I could understand the reason for panicking, but one day? Maybe 1 day and 15 minutes..
Was there some kind of deadline we were never informed about? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 02:10 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2  ZT gave his end of season press conference.

You just played 16 games, so make sure we have all that in order, and then start preparing. I don’t think anything is official with the Senior Bowl yet, but that would be a great opportunity for our staff if that is able to happen, and it’s something we would welcome. We want to get a great chance to coach those guys and see what they’re all about. But that’s the next step for us — evaluating our own roster and where we want to head. From there, it’s starting to get ready for free agency and start to scout these guys for the draft.”

[b]With regard to this year’s players whose contracts are expiring, would you ideally like to get deals done with them before free agency begins?[/b]

“Those are things we get the chance to talk through this week so that we’re all on the same page, and then make those decisions. Right now I don’t have anything further on that stuff.”

“We’re still ironing everything out and making sure we get the chance to evaluate ourselves and make the best decisions going forward.”

[b]When you see head coaches like Freddie Kitchens of the Browns and Pat Shurmur of the Giants get fired, how much does your job security mean to you after a 2-14 record?[/b]

“I’m thankful to have a job. There’s no question about that, because the expectations are so much higher. There’s a belief here that we’re heading in the right direction, although it didn’t show in the wins and losses. We know that we’re going to get things turned around and that there’s going to be great days ahead, and I’m fortunate that the Brown family sees that and believes in that.

“All we can handle is what’s in front of us, and we have the No. 1 pick. Now you really get the chance to know who you’re going to take. It’s not just hoping that Jonah Williams is going to be there (when you pick) and hoping nobody takes him before you. Now, we get to make that selection. There’s a lot that goes into that process, as we research these guys and try to reach a conclusion on who we want to take, but we have plenty of time for that. That’s the good news. We don’t have to make that pick until the end of April, so we’ll use all of that time to figure out what we want to do.”

“Those are things that we want to make sure we talk about as a staff this week. You do talk about it as the season goes, with the improvements we need to make. But you get the chance now to take a step back, take New Year’s off, take a deep breath there and then come back and finalize the direction we believe we need to head in all areas of our personnel.”

[b]Entering free agency, do you feel that the front office is going to give you what you need to make improvements in that area?[/b]
“We’ve been on the same page every step of the way. Again, those are conversations we’ll have this week to make sure we’re all heading in the same direction — which I know that we are — just with how we see the personnel going forward. Again, that’s something that we’ll take care of now that the season is over with.”

[b]Is it too early to say the team will draft anybody but Louisiana State QB Joe Burrow?[/b]
“That would be way too early (laughs). Our personnel staff has done a great job of starting the process and evaluating these guys. But obviously the coaching staff likes to watch the players as well, and we haven’t watched a snap on anybody yet. We’ll just piece together that process as we go.”

...so no real changes...

The guy literally just finished a season yesterday and you guys think he will come out and just announce to the entire league everything the Bengals are thinking of doing?

GTFOut of here with that dumb &$#× !

He said they were going to start evaluating, etc etc. WTF is he supposed to do? Stop with the knee jerk foot stomping cry baby stuff.
Reply/Quote
They need to make some changes on this coaching staff, standing pat would only confirm that going 2-14 and having a horrible offense and defense is acceptable.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 05:41 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: They need to make some changes on this coaching staff, standing pat would only confirm that going 2-14 and having a horrible offense and defense is acceptable.

I’ve seen you on here for years saying we needed a better QB and a better HC...I guess we’ll have to settle for 1 out of 2 for now.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 03:00 AM)PDub80 Wrote: The guy literally just finished a season yesterday and you guys think he will come out and just announce to the entire league everything the Bengals are thinking of doing?

GTFOut of here with that dumb &$#× !

He said they were going to start evaluating, etc etc. WTF is he supposed to do? Stop with the knee jerk foot stomping cry baby stuff.

Oh c'mon PDub.. at least try to convince these guys today is the last day of the decade. They might even believe you this time around....maybe if you talk nicely to em..  Smirk   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 09:49 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Ok, I get that, but... WTF was he ranting about? Like... how does he know no changes? Is one goofball spewing nonsense worth parroting?

I thought I missed some weird press conference or something. Turns out, nope... just another fan still drunk from game day aimlessly ranting into the air. 

I guess the op is assuming that because nothing happened yesterday, then zero changes are going to happen. It’s way too soon to make those assumptions.

Some of the same people giving up now also told us at the beginning of the year that the Browns were going to win it all based on free agency. Things may not necessarily happen the way we assume they will.

I understand the anger and frustration. I have seen the Bengals win in the playoffs and go to the Super Bowl in my lifetime, but I know a lot of you have not. It is not easy being a Bengal fan, I know, but a lot of fans can say the same about their teams.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 02:17 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Those daily meetings are a committee of inexperience. What exactly does Katie contribute to them? I made pudding for the kids this morning? Seriously, it's a joke. Troy and Katie have to rely on Taylor to tell them what is what, and that's scary.

All of that aside... Those meetings are just bad practice. No other coach in the NFL not named Jason Garrett deals with anything like that. There is separation between ownership, management, coaches and players.

We're such a goofy organization...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 01:22 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: All 3 of them really.

In his last 5 games played Lawson had 3 sacks, 9 solo tackles, 4 TFL, and 15 QB hits.

Hubbard’s last 5 games he had 5.5 sacks, 16 solo tackles, 5 TFL, and 5 QB hits.

The DL was feasting the last month or so.

It's nice to see that DL in action, when all of the parts are working properly. (Dunlap admitted that he was battling an injury in the 1st half of the season)  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 02:17 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Those daily meetings are a committee of inexperience. What exactly does Katie contribute to them? I made pudding for the kids this morning? Seriously, it's a joke. Troy and Katie have to rely on Taylor to tell them what is what, and that's scary.

So Katie doesn’t know anything about football because she’s a Mom? This mom and grandmother disagrees with that. Now you can say she’s a lawyer and not a football person and I would agree with that perhaps. But not because she’s a Mom.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 09:01 AM)jason Wrote: All of that aside... Those meetings are just bad practice. No other coach in the NFL not named Jason Garrett deals with anything like that. There is separation between ownership, management, coaches and players.

Dan Synder?

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 09:01 AM)jason Wrote: All of that aside... Those meetings are just bad practice. No other coach in the NFL not named Jason Garrett deals with anything like that. There is separation between ownership, management, coaches and players.

I think they do that because Paul probably did that. But Paul was a football savant and Mike and Katie are lawyers.
Reply/Quote
Mt sure why anyone thought there would be a change. MB is not going to give up on Zac after one year. Not sure we should already either. I doubt he would have made a change if we lost every game. Too much work for the family. I do think the DC and OL coaches should be gone. But the D and Oline in the family’s eyes played good enough at the end to stay. That’s the problem with this team, never try to get better. Just meh good enough in Browns eyes.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 11:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 2-14 record
Offense: 26th in yards, 30th in points
Defense: 29th in yards, 25th in points allowed

Not sure how we can look at that and say "they all just need seasoning".

People keep saying the defense got better, but we allowed 27, 34, 38 and 23 points over the last 4 weeks. I'm with Leonard Leap. Bad coaches don't get better just because you keep them. How many coaching staffs started 2-14, stayed 100% intact and wound up being great? I'm sure there are examples, but what are the odds?

A lot of people on here defended the Terryl Austin hire. A lot of people wanted to keep Zampese for another go. Sometimes coaches just are what their resumes say they are, and we've got a lot of weak resumes on this team.

Not all of those were on the D though. There's at least a couple of pick 6s in there, a muffed catch on special teams gifting points just before the interval etc. Anyone got the figures for just the D points conceded?

(12-31-2019, 01:26 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Dunlap and Hubbard were already good players. It took a bad scheme to hold them down.

Also, gotta notice that over the past 8 games the Bengals only played two teams with a winning record. Not exactly like the first half of the season.

The team ended up 2-14 matching the team's history worst, yet it has more talent that the previous 2-14 team had.

More bad drafts and ruining Burrow are real concerns. Dalton certainly didn't improve this season. He went from average to way below average in a single season. And that's a veteran, not a rookie.

If you want to criticize them for only playing two teams with a winning record in the second half you also need to cut them some slack for playing such a tough first half schedule - overall they still had the toughest schedule in the NFL.

(12-31-2019, 02:03 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. People also act like just being on the job lo gre makes a coach better. This staff needs an experienced offensive mind as a mentor. They have none.

LOL @ at seguing from "people act like being on the job longer makes a coach better" to "this staff needs experience".
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 02:10 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2  ZT gave his end of season press conference.

...so no real changes...

Totally incorrect.  They are going to evaluate and discuss everything, then no changes.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
After getting AJ's major endorsement, Im not expecting any changes to staff at all unless someone leaves on their own will. Bernard, Kirkpatrick and Green have all at this point praised Zac for keeping them united even during all the losses, and think hes a great coach and will win here and turn it around. No doubt Mike Brown hears that loud and clear.

To be honest I assumed AJ was on the sidelines shaking his head all year and hoping to escape this mess and find a better team to play for. I didnt expect him to say much at all until they figure out his contract situation, so him basically saying he wants to stay here and play for Zac Taylor, who he thinks is a great coach was a little surprising when I saw it last night.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 12:08 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: A very real fear. If we see a status quo Bengals off-season, it'll be obvious that the FO is just being lazy and relying 100% on Burrow to drive ticket sales. A highly motivated NFL front office could fix many of our problems in just a few months. We could easily clear up as much as $100 million in cap space by trimming some fat.

If this FO has ever been serious about winning a championship...if it's their #1 priority, then now is the time to be aggressive and completely retool this roster. It could very easily be done. Instead, I worry that we'll be keeping some of this dead weight around, or not spending to the cap. Being fully passive in FA, etc.

It is a very real fear. We've, over the last decade + watched two pretty good QB's go down the drain because MB won't do what it takes to build a winner.

My biggest fear is we're going to go thru another cookie cutter MB offseason. Retain 95% of the current roster. Get a B- free agent and a C+. Trade nobody for picks. Rely 100% on the 7 picks we have. Stay the course !

And we'll slowly watch QB #3 erode like the others.
Reply/Quote