Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asian or Oriental?
(03-21-2017, 10:34 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Science is math and hard.

Do you consider forensics to be science?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-21-2017, 09:22 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It didn't become taboo, what scientists currently do is look at similar genetic traits. What they do not do is look at a few physical traits because they got to the point where they could declare that there were no common gene clusters for the races and decided that they should stop basing things off what some eugenics toting social scientists declared hundreds of years ago before the concept of genes even existed. 

So they group folks together based on genetics? Sounds good to me. I suppose as long as we don't label these common groups no one is offended.

(03-21-2017, 10:34 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Science is math and hard.

Who could have known it would be so complicated?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-21-2017, 11:02 AM)bfine32 Wrote: So they group folks together based on genetics? Sounds good to me. I suppose as long as we don't label these common groups no one is offended.

They do label them. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(03-21-2017, 11:29 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: They do label them. 
Makes sense. Perhaps it is why I must include race on Medical Exams.  

(03-21-2017, 11:45 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Makes sense. Perhaps it is why I must include race on Medical Exams.  

Doubtful that's the reason. They're genetic categorizations while race isn't. 

[Image: 636043761514187937-843855866_not-racist-but.png]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-21-2017, 12:44 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Doubtful that's the reason. They're genetic categorizations while race isn't. 

I'll let them know, but they will probably still want race on there.

(03-21-2017, 01:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'll let them know, but they will probably still want race on there.

I'm sure they will. The fact that race has no genetic basis doesn't mean it isn't important; Our genes are not the only factor that influences our health.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/race-is-not-biological_us_56b8db83e4b04f9b57da89ed

One of the author's of a paper discussing this points out that the idea of race still matters when discussing social factors that impact our health. 

This is one of the things he says about it

Quote:For example, we need to continue to study how structural inequities and discrimination produce health disparities between groups. Your race can impact your health, but your genetics is not a good window into how race affects your health. This line of thinking goes all the way back to the sociologist and civil rights pioneer W.E.B. Du Bois. Du Bois was the first to synthesize data from anthropology and the social sciences to conclude, for example, that race-based disparities stem from social, not biological, inequalities.

(03-21-2017, 01:21 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm sure they will. The fact that race has no genetic basis doesn't mean it isn't important; Our genes are not the only factor that influences our health.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/race-is-not-biological_us_56b8db83e4b04f9b57da89ed

One of the author's of a paper discussing this points out that the idea of race still matters when discussing social factors that impact our health. 

This is one of the things he says about it

Fair enough, but you lost me at Huff-Po

(03-21-2017, 01:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Fair enough, but you lost me at Huff-Po

I get the aversion to Huff Po. Half of their content ends up being political OpEds from some far left progressive mouthpiece. There's also legitimate science and technology reporting there. This is just an interview with Michael Yudell, an associate professor and chair of Community Health and Prevention at the Dornsife School of Public Health at Drexel. He co-authored the paper. 

The author also writes and stars in content for CNN Health and has worked with producing science programming for USA Today, Patch, and the Gates Foundation.