Poll: Which position group needs the most love?
This poll is closed.
QB
1.35%
1 1.35%
WR
4.05%
3 4.05%
TE
0%
0 0%
RB
2.70%
2 2.70%
DL
25.68%
19 25.68%
LB
58.11%
43 58.11%
S
6.76%
5 6.76%
CB
1.35%
1 1.35%
Total 74 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Aside from OL, what position group do the Bengals need most improvement?
(12-07-2016, 12:57 PM)eoxyod Wrote: In all honesty the Bengals just need an Al Davis like draft. Speed, speed, speed. We are one of the slowest teams in the league
Isn't that the truth? Why do these coaches not draft speed?
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 12:57 PM)eoxyod Wrote: In all honesty the Bengals just need an Al Davis like draft. Speed, speed, speed. We are one of the slowest teams in the league

Agree, our LB are seemingly always struggling to get to a spot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 05:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agree, our LB are seemingly always struggling to get to a spot.

I'd really like to see us get a legit LB/S hybrid, like a Chancellor or Bucannon. I mean, get a real one. Don't re-sign Taylor Mays and act like he's any kind of answer. I could see Shawn Williams better fitting in this role since he likes to go for the big hits instead of wrapping up.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 05:49 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'd really like to see us get a legit LB/S hybrid, like a Chancellor or Bucannon. I mean, get a real one. Don't re-sign Taylor Mays and act like he's any kind of answer. I could see Shawn Williams better fitting in this role since he likes to go for the big hits instead of wrapping up.

I've noticed that too, about Shawn Williams, and it drives me crazy to see it.  The atomic shoulder works at stopping the receiver a very small percentage of the time, compared to wrapping up for a solid tackle.  Not to mention, with the direction that rules on player safety, and the way officials call games now, it is counter productive to strive to be a head hunter.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 02:15 PM)3wt Wrote: I voted LB, but it will be who the best player available is.  We should have a shot at a LB, DE or Safety.

The guy I think would be the biggest impact player is Reuben Foster.  Next to Tez we would have a couple of impact linebackers that I think would have a big ripple effect.

But I have to admit that by position group the DL and S positions really need an infusion of talent.   Derek Barnett or Jamal Adams would be very nice additions to position groups that have serious needs.

Those 3 players are who I think would have the biggest impact on our team that have a reasonable chance of being there when we pick.

But between the 3 I'd go Foster.

I really agree with this but the lb I really like is raquan McMillan malaluga is old love him but he's old and slow now would love McMillan he's got great Instincts great hands he's a run thumper but solid in coverage. And we could also go with secondary hell this year or next ala Garcon Conley marshawn lattimore Malik hooker Alabama safety or Washington's corners later in the draft
Reply/Quote
Assuming we draft in the 6-10 range, I'd like one of the Alabama trio. I know Allen will likely be gone within the first 3 picks so he'll most likely be out of the equation when we come up. Foster is the real deal, hope we get him. He's a missile who can get east to west quickly and dissects offenses as well as any LB in the last few drafts. I think he will instantly make a big contribution to our defense. He and Tez will make a fearsome duo. If he's gone I'd be OK with taking Tim Williams.

Other guys I wouldn't mind:
Jamal Adams
Derek Barnett
Malik McDowell
King or Tabor(I don't want to draft another corner but I think they'll both be good)

As you can tell, I want to go defense first. If it's offense, I'm fine with Corey Davis or Mike Williams.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 11:42 PM)tBengal Wrote: Assuming we draft in the 6-10 range, I'd like one of the Alabama trio. I know Allen will likely be gone within the first 3 picks so he'll most likely be out of the equation when we come up. Foster is the real deal, hope we get him. He's a missile who can get east to west quickly and dissects offenses as well as any LB in the last few drafts. I think he will instantly make a big contribution to our defense. He and Tez will make a fearsome duo. If he's gone I'd be OK with taking Tim Williams.

Other guys I wouldn't mind:
Jamal Adams
Derek Barnett
Malik McDowell
King or Tabor(I don't want to draft another corner but I think they'll both be good)

As you can tell, I want to go defense first. If it's offense, I'm fine with Corey Davis or Mike Williams.
u seem like u know ur stuff what do u think about a couple buckeyes? Love McMillan in the middle to replace malaluga or marshon lattimore or Conley? I do not think any offensive player is worth of a high first round pick besides Elflien.he has been phenomenal this year with 3 freshman olineman to train. Feel like our run middle would be top 5 if we got him.   I also wouldnt mind Allen at the safety position. Maybe living in Ohio has made me bias but they seem like great NFL prospects McMillan I would love with vigil and burfict as our starting 3 
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 02:52 AM)J24 Wrote: The Eagles threw the ball 60 times today we had 1 sack. Defensive line is the most major need on this team and I am including the offensive line.

But Michael Johnson is a top 18 RDE in terms of farting in the general direction of the QB!!!
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 08:52 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The defensive line, after the offensive line, should be ripe for an upgrade.  I looked at film from 2012 to the present and the entire defensive line, especially the right side, is much slower off the snap now than they were back then.  Even mediocre offensive lines stand them up in the run game.  The Bengals built their defensive line around the north to south bull rush against the pass and forgot the linemen also need effective lateral movement to close gaps against the run.  I like what I see in Geno Atkins but even he is getting to the quarterback a bit late hence his sack total is decreasing while his knock down or hurry statistics are increasing.  Carlos Dunlap is great at batting down passes but he's no longer a credible sack threat.  Michael Johnson is good at taking up two blockers but seeing him drop into coverage makes my stomach queasy.  Moving Margus Hunt from end to tackle makes lots of sense and I would like to see him get more snaps and maybe see Domata Peko get less snaps.  

Agreed on Hunt...but I can't help but think he has a lingering injury.  He was more bundled up than I was at Sunday's game.  I think he was still active, because an injury had him taking his massive parka off and stretching, but he didn't see the field on anything except extra points and FG attempts, I believe.  It is really too bad, because they are facing a stretch of less-than-mobile QBs and I would like to see him press the pocket and just bat down some balls in the middle.  

It figures he disappears from the lineup.  I thought he was finally contributing while getting snaps at DT.  Kind of works together with Peko being "protected" with fewer snaps...I will never understand this coaching staff's decisions on players.  I think Uzomah has been injured, but that guy showed flashes when Eifert was injured, and I was really liking the idea of seeing the two of them on the field together.  Of course, it didn't happen.... 

Nervous
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 11:29 AM)samhain Wrote: Def didn't play in Gilberry's first game back.  Hasn't done squat since blocking kicks early this year.  

I think they don't win the Jets game without him.  That is a direct impact of at least 1 of 16 games this year...he also had a blocked kick against the skins, if memory serves, and they might have won that one, too, if Nugent wasn't...well, Nugent.  
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 10:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Alright, the community has spoken.  Many of you agree that the LB position needs some serious attention, many of you feel that DL needs the attention, a few of you think Safety, and a few other of you just think crazy thoughts..

With that said, in regard to the poll, we all know that real problem with this team is the OL, right?  That is why I specifically omitted it from the poll.  We have had thread after thread, in regard to the OL and OL Coach.  Our QB and receiving weapons are among the NFL's best, it's a shame that our OL can't muster 2+ seconds of protection, and open holes on a regular basis for the run game to be a factor.

What I'm really trying to say here is, after two bust picks at OT the last time they went big on OL in the draft, do you think that our 1st pick should again go to OL?  Or, do you think that we should go with the best LB, DE, or S on the board in the 1st round?  You already know that my preference this year is on LB, but sometimes the guy you wanted is already gone.  That is why I'm also open to the best DE or S that may be there, and worth the pick.

I wouldn't call Fisher a bust yet...and you can see how important camp is to a guy that came from a spread offense.  Ced may even rebound, but I would bet they don't suffer with him as long as they did this year.  If he sucks after a full camp next year, he will either be moved to G, be the backup, or outright released.

I could see a veteran OT signed (that was released...can't give up those compensatory picks) a la Eric Winston, but a bit younger, to stabilize the RT position.  Whit must be re-signed.  I think we will see Westerman at RG or another draft pick.  

What I would like to see is Whit at LT, Boling at LG, Draft pick or TJ Johnson at C, Fisher at RG, and a veteran at RT.  I think with an off-season to prepare, they could roll with this and develop Ced and Westerman as the backups.  
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2016, 08:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I wouldn't call Fisher a bust yet...and you can see how important camp is to a guy that came from a spread offense.  Ced may even rebound, but I would bet they don't suffer with him as long as they did this year.  If he sucks after a full camp next year, he will either be moved to G, be the backup, or outright released.

I could see a veteran OT signed (that was released...can't give up those compensatory picks) a la Eric Winston, but a bit younger, to stabilize the RT position.  Whit must be re-signed.  I think we will see Westerman at RG or another draft pick.  

What I would like to see is Whit at LT, Boling at LG, Draft pick or TJ Johnson at C, Fisher at RG, and a veteran at RT.  I think with an off-season to prepare, they could roll with this and develop Ced and Westerman as the backups.  

Am I the only one who would love eifling at center out of ICU? Dude is a monster in the run game and he's very solid in passing game 3 time 1st team all big honors I would love to get him in second round or 1st don't think he lasts till second 
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2016, 08:24 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Am I the only one who would love eifling at center out of ICU? Dude is a monster in the run game and he's very solid in passing game 3 time 1st team all big honors I would love to get him in second round or 1st don't think he lasts till second 

I am an OSU fan, but I think he is vastly overrated.  Third round pick at best.  
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2016, 08:04 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agreed on Hunt...but I can't help but think he has a lingering injury.  He was more bundled up than I was at Sunday's game.  I think he was still active, because an injury had him taking his massive parka off and stretching, but he didn't see the field on anything except extra points and FG attempts, I believe.  It is really too bad, because they are facing a stretch of less-than-mobile QBs and I would like to see him press the pocket and just bat down some balls in the middle.  

It figures he disappears from the lineup.  I thought he was finally contributing while getting snaps at DT.  Kind of works together with Peko being "protected" with fewer snaps...I will never understand this coaching staff's decisions on players.  I think Uzomah has been injured, but that guy showed flashes when Eifert was injured, and I was really liking the idea of seeing the two of them on the field together.  Of course, it didn't happen.... 

Nervous

Baffling for certain.

Will never understand these coaches myself.

They start worse players right when another unknown player plays good too. They play favoritism and...

they reward failure...

(12-08-2016, 08:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I wouldn't call Fisher a bust yet...and you can see how important camp is to a guy that came from a spread offense.  Ced may even rebound, but I would bet they don't suffer with him as long as they did this year.  If he sucks after a full camp next year, he will either be moved to G, be the backup, or outright released.

TJ Johnson looked worse than Bodine this preseason. Hopefully a draft pick at C, a reasonably high draft pick.

I think Westerman could be very good on the inside for us in the future. Just need a decent O-line coach to develop him.

Right now i am seeing Westerman at RG next year. Zeit will be gone most likely.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2016, 08:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am an OSU fan, but I think he is vastly overrated.  Third round pick at best.  

Really?

Been hearing a lot of great things about Elfein from a lot of posters on here.

What don't you like SHRacer?
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2016, 04:44 AM)Jpoore Wrote: u seem like u know ur stuff what do u think about a couple buckeyes? Love McMillan in the middle to replace malaluga or marshon lattimore or Conley? I do not think any offensive player is worth of a high first round pick besides Elflien.he has been phenomenal this year with 3 freshman olineman to train. Feel like our run middle would be top 5 if we got him.   I also wouldnt mind Allen at the safety position. Maybe living in Ohio has made me bias but they seem like great NFL prospects McMillan I would love with vigil and burfict as our starting 3 

Thanks! And I like McMillan but I think we can get him in the second. He or Foster would immediately improve our run defense as I think they're the 2 best LB in this class when it comes to catching a running back. If we don't go LB in the first I'd be fine with taking either him or someone like Boulware from Clemson or Davis from Florida. Elfein I think will be better suited for the pros than someone like Pocic from LSU who is rated as the top C from most sites. Elfein will take Bodines job before camp is over. I'm also fine with taking someone like Jon Toth from Kentucky later on if need be.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2016, 03:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Really?

Been hearing a lot of great things about Elfein from a lot of posters on here.

What don't you like SHRacer?

This is one of the few times that I will disagree with SHRacerX's opinion.  Elfein was far and away the best OLman on the Ohio St. OL, this season.  It became very apparent, early in the season the he and the RG were the only ones able to be relied upon for consistent pass protection, and push in the run game.  Once OSU coaching staff quickly realized that they had likely the worst OT tandem in memory of most fans alive, they geared the offense to run through Elfein.  So, as the season wore on, naturally opposing DCs used that tape to game plan to neutralize Elfein and said RG. 

I would be very surprised if Elfein weren't at least a 2nd team All-American this year.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2016, 07:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This is one of the few times that I will disagree with SHRacerX's opinion.  Elfein was far and away the best OLman on the Ohio St. OL, this season.  It became very apparent, early in the season the he and the RG were the only ones able to be relied upon for consistent pass protection, and push in the run game.  Once OSU coaching staff quickly realized that they had likely the worst OT tandem in memory of most fans alive, they geared the offense to run through Elfein.  So, as the season wore on, naturally opposing DCs used that tape to game plan to neutralize Elfein and said RG. 

I would be very surprised if Elfein weren't at least a 2nd team All-American this year.

couldn't agree more and what I love is this is his first year at center.... 
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2016, 10:22 PM)Jpoore Wrote: couldn't agree more and what I love is this is his first year at center.... 

Yeah, my Dad just called a few minutes ago... To let me know that Ohio St. Center won the Rimmington.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2016, 10:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, my Dad just called a few minutes ago... To let me know that Ohio St. Center won the Rimmington.

nice if we can keep zeitler our running game takes a huge step forward if we get him 
Reply/Quote