Poll: Which position group needs the most love?
This poll is closed.
QB
1.35%
1 1.35%
WR
4.05%
3 4.05%
TE
0%
0 0%
RB
2.70%
2 2.70%
DL
25.68%
19 25.68%
LB
58.11%
43 58.11%
S
6.76%
5 6.76%
CB
1.35%
1 1.35%
Total 74 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Aside from OL, what position group do the Bengals need most improvement?
Seeing Nick Vigil showing signs of promise of late, has given me a little encouragement for the LB position moving forward. While I still see the need for the Bengals to be younger and faster at LB, I'm not so convinced that it is as much of a 1st round priority, as I did at the time of posting this thread.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Somebody voted QB. How goofy is that?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I think our pick should be either WR or Edge Dline. There are some high quality prospects at the top of the draft that could realistically be available for us at each position. LB isn't a huge need for us, in my opinion. We have Rey, Vigil, Burfict and Dawson. That can be fleshed out in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Michael Johnson needs to become a reserve. Bad. He just doesn't have the impact you want out of a starting DE.

As for WR, I feel like Saturday was Core's trial by fire and he failed pretty miserably. Boyd is okay but he just doesn't have a lot of ability to separate from coverage. if Green goes down, WR is the worst position group on this team by far and, as we know, Andy needs impact targets to flourish. He is a good QB but he doesn't make his teammates better. His teammates make him better. Mike Williams or Corey Davis would look so good in Orange and Black...
Reply/Quote
Owner, followed by:
Head coach
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive line coach.
Reply/Quote
As for WR, I feel like Saturday was Core's trial by fire and he failed pretty miserably. 

Sone of those routs he ran were awful for sure.. the only play he seems decent on is a seem or straight line burner. The dude can't turn for nothing.
Reply/Quote
I wasnt able to vote but I would like another wr. Especially if we can get the top wr in the draft (not sure who that would be). Eifert and green are our only legitimate options right now. Boyd is decent but not a strong #2. If we had another bad ass our offense would be pretty unstoppable (giving we have a coordinator that would use it right) we could still get a lb in the second or third. I really don't see us drafting another OT... maybe a center? For some reason PA loves shitty lineman
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 12:30 PM)McC Wrote: Somebody voted QB.  How goofy is that?

I voted OWNER even though it wasn't an option, but tied for first place with HC.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 01:59 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: As for WR, I feel like Saturday was Core's trial by fire and he failed pretty miserably

Sone of those routs he ran were awful for sure.. the only play he seems decent on is a seem or straight line burner. The dude can't turn for nothing.

What in the hell are you talking about?  The guy is a rookie, 6th round pick, that spent the vast majority of the season on the inactive list.  If anything, Core is getting bonus reps, as they likely had planned for him to not even see the field this year. Rolleyes

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 01:59 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: As for WR, I feel like Saturday was Core's trial by fire and he failed pretty miserably. 

You have to coach Core up more. He's young and I wouldn't judge him on this one game going up against the #1 defense in the NFL. I think a healthy Green, LaFell, Boyd and Core would be a pretty good corps for next year. Granted, they have to re-sign LaFell in the offseason.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 12:42 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think our pick should be either WR or Edge Dline. There are some high quality prospects at the top of the draft that could realistically be available for us at each position. LB isn't a huge need for us, in my opinion. We have Rey, Vigil, Burfict and Dawson. That can be fleshed out in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Michael Johnson needs to become a reserve. Bad. He just doesn't have the impact you want out of a starting DE.

As for WR, I feel like Saturday was Core's trial by fire and he failed pretty miserably. Boyd is okay but he just doesn't have a lot of ability to separate from coverage. if Green goes down, WR is the worst position group on this team by far and, as we know, Andy needs impact targets to flourish. He is a good QB but he doesn't make his teammates better. His teammates make him better. Mike Williams or Corey Davis would look so good in Orange and Black...

I disagree about Core, he's still raw. That said I would love it if we could get Corey Davis in the 2nd round.

That kid could be dangerous across from AJ.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 4190186.jpg]
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
Id say the position that would have the biggest impact on wins is tight end. Looking at the comments at cincyjungle those jackasses think we need don't need a tight end in the draft.

1) Biggest problem with the offense is the inability to score when in the red zone. Tight ends best asset is punching it in for a td. The space is less in the red zone so having a height advantage is huge in the red zone. We could use two tight end sets with a high draft picks tight end and eifert to dramatically improve red zone efficiency.

2) Eifert injury history. He has averaged 6.7 games per season in the last 3 years. He can't be counted to be in the line up very often. Without eifert we have trouble scoring td's. Kroft and uzamah are nothing but spare tires. They aren't legitimate weapons in the red zone.

3) Eifert contract is up after this season. If we can't sign him we'd have a high draft pick with a year under his belt to take over as the number one tight end. If eifert leaves in free agency I'm certainly not comfortable rolling with Kroft and uzomah as our go to tight ends.
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 01:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I wouldn't put RB as too distant....They will surely be looking at replacing Hill.  

I have started to watch other teams this season. I have to say there are a lot of really good players out there and sadly they are not Bengals.
Reply/Quote
LB needs the most help as a group. Burfict is volatile and potent but could wake up one day and decide concussions and changing his style isn't worth it. That leaves you barren besides a green Vigil and aging vets.

Sure you want talent at LB, but they may opt for a DE or even DB if they're the BPA in the draft. I'm thinking OL in FA and defense heavy in the draft including 2 LBS like a 2nd and a 4th or something.
Reply/Quote
The bengals fan base have always been infatuated with linebackers. We never have enough linebackers. It used to be defensive tackles that bengals fans we're obsessed with. Before that the Bengals fan base were infatuated with safeties. The needs are not based on logic, they're based on obsessions with certain positions.

We have enough linebackers. Vontaze Tez Burfict and Vinny . Nick The Vigilante Vigil. Flowers and Dawson. Our defense was not the biggest problem on the team. Once the defensive coaches got settled in, we gave up 16.4 points a game in the second half, which is a top 3 unit. Our biggest problem is scoring points. Specifically the ability to convert scoring chances into points.

We can move the ball. We're 10th in the league in offensive yardage. We just simply can't score td's once we get the chance. We averaged 3.5 red zone attempts a game. We converted at 50%. A few years ago we we're converting at 70%. That is a difference of about 3 points a game.

We lost half a dozen games this year by sixteen points. That's 2.7 points a game. If we improve scoring efficiency and get a good field goal kicker you can add 5 points a game to the offense. You can probably safely say we would have won most of those close games. We'd be in the playoffs instead of out of the playoffs. Adding a tight end weapon, improving the offensive line, specifically right tackle, and getting a very good field goal kicker have to be the most important needs on the team
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 07:31 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Kicker
LB's
RB's

We are getting an extra first round CB in the secondary (Jackson III) and Peko's replacement on the Dline (Billings) next year

Yes Kicker should be on the list.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 12:42 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think our pick should be either WR or Edge Dline. There are some high quality prospects at the top of the draft that could realistically be available for us at each position. LB isn't a huge need for us, in my opinion. We have Rey, Vigil, Burfict and Dawson. That can be fleshed out in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Could not agree more not to get into bowl games but I CANNOT wait to see marshawn lattimore vs.mike Williams. Best corner vs. best wr. Do not agree that Dawson will ever be more than a low reserve. If I wasn't set On taking elflien in the second I would say a lb like McMillan.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2016, 02:49 AM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Id say the position that would have the biggest impact on wins is tight end. Looking at the comments at cincyjungle those jackasses think we need don't need a tight end in the draft.

1) Biggest problem with the offense is the inability to score when in the red zone. Tight ends best asset is punching it in for a td. The space is less in the red zone so having a height advantage is huge in the red zone. We could use two tight end sets with a high draft picks tight end and eifert to dramatically improve red zone efficiency.

2) Eifert injury history. He has averaged 6.7 games per season in the last 3 years. He can't be counted to be in the line up very often. Without eifert we have trouble scoring td's. Kroft and uzamah are nothing but spare tires. They aren't legitimate weapons in the red zone.

3) Eifert contract is up after this season. If we can't sign him we'd have a high draft pick with a year under his belt to take over as the number one tight end. If eifert leaves in free agency I'm certainly not comfortable rolling with Kroft and uzomah as our go to tight ends.

With Eifert continuing to be unreliable, health wise, Leggett from Clemson is looking more and more appealing.  Leggett is 6'5" 258, good hands, and can run like a WR.  CBS has him as a 2-3 round pick.  He's like the 3-4 ranked TE, the guys ahead of him all have the bigger, more lineman like bodies.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2016, 10:27 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With Eifert continuing to be unreliable, health wise, Leggett from Clemson is looking more and more appealing.  Leggett is 6'5" 258, good hands, and can run like a WR.  CBS has him as a 2-3 round pick.  He's like the 3-4 ranked TE, the guys ahead of him all have the bigger, more lineman like bodies.

The kid is "Leggett"! How FSU let him get away has been quite the topic between me and my FSU buddies.

He played his HS ball just down the road from me at Navarre HS. Great hands!
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 11:43 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: [Image: 4190186.jpg]

This guy would be awesome.  Brings some much needed fire too!
Reply/Quote