Poll: Which position group needs the most love?
This poll is closed.
QB
1.35%
1 1.35%
WR
4.05%
3 4.05%
TE
0%
0 0%
RB
2.70%
2 2.70%
DL
25.68%
19 25.68%
LB
58.11%
43 58.11%
S
6.76%
5 6.76%
CB
1.35%
1 1.35%
Total 74 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Aside from OL, what position group do the Bengals need most improvement?
(12-08-2016, 07:30 PM)tBengal Wrote: Thanks! And I like McMillan but I think we can get him in the second. He or Foster would immediately improve our run defense as I think they're the 2 best LB in this class when it comes to catching a running back. If we don't go LB in the first I'd be fine with taking either him or someone like Boulware from Clemson or Davis from Florida. Elfein I think will be better suited for the pros than someone like Pocic from LSU who is rated as the top C from most sites. Elfein will take Bodines job before camp is over. I'm also fine with taking someone like Jon Toth from Kentucky later on if need be.

Mccshay has him at 31 with a 88 grade to Steelers but he reminds me of burfict super smart football IQ and eifling won the Remington he would be great for our run game and would stop all this pressure from the middle of our line. if Williams doesn't step up next year at safety wouldn't mind getting hooker when he comes out next year either. If we don't go lb or oline I think we have to go rde or corner bc pacman looks older. If we go corner Washington corner or lattimore mccshay has us at number 8 with marshon  lattimore with a 93 grade. rde there are a lot we can get in the middle rounds people have been saying Dt. We have Billings and Atkins we don't need a dt. One question I think they might look at I think it would be stupid if they did but they might look at mccaffrey early in second due to gios injury. Gio relies on his quickness and a torn acl I think we're looking at 16-18 months before he's actually himSelf again  aka Atkins. 
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 07:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I say LB.  The Bengals LB corps looks old, fat, and slow.  The sorry part is, this is the best that they have to put out there.  Burfict, our only pseudo-Star at the position, is often injured, suspended, and far from lean.  For quite some time, the organization has short changed the LB position with mid to late round picks, UDFAs, and "bargain" Free Agents.  

The Bengals haven't invested a serious draft pick on the LB position since Rey Maualuga (2nd round) and Keith Rivers (1st).  Anyone else feel like it's high time for the Bengals to heavily invest in the position of LB?  I mean, our guys are very average at stopping the run, below average in covering the pass, we have virtually no one that can roam sideline to sideline, in the traditional sense.

This.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
My inclination is picking either LB or DL. However, we actually have some unproven but highly drafted depth at those positions.

At LB, we still have Dawson who, while his attitude may be a problem, he was an All American impact player in college and I think if he can just click with Burfict, I think he'll be fine. We also have Nick Vigil, who the coaches adore (as does Burfict).
And then we have quality back ups in Rey and Flowers.
We may benefit from another LB in the 2nd or 3rd round, but in the NFL today, you only really need 2 full time LBs and we already have one with Burfict. I wouldn't draft a LB in the first round unless an amazing player like Foster or Cunningham falls to us.

At DL, we have Billings waiting in the wings to replace Peko, which I think will be a considerable upgrade. Clarke is still developing as well to replace Johnson. If a pass rushing DT were to fall to us, I'd be open to it as a spell for Atkins, or a pass rusher like Barnett or Williams would be a welcome addition as well. It all depends on who is there.

But when I look at WR, we basically have a bare cupboard after Green and Boyd. LaFell is a stop gap who, while he's performing well, will likely only be here for maybe 1 more year. He's already 30 and that's the point at which non-elite WRs begin to go down in productivity. Boyd looks like a good slot WR, but we really need someone who can help the offense move the ball when Green is injured or triple covered. We had a great day against Philly, as Boyd and a few others stepped up, but I don't think we're looking at starting Cody Core or James Wright in the future. A quality deep threat/speedy WR would be very nice to find in this draft.

Even against Buffalo, we got to see what speed can do to a defense. I sure would like to have a weapon like the ones they have that can take a quick pass or a hand off and make people miss.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2016, 03:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Really?

Been hearing a lot of great things about Elfein from a lot of posters on here.

What don't you like SHRacer?

I didn't like what I saw when he ran in to a decent front...like from Michigan.  I think the Senior Bowl practices will be very telling going up against the best tackles in college.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 11:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I didn't like what I saw when he ran in to a decent front...like from Michigan.  I think the Senior Bowl practices will be very telling going up against the best tackles in college.  

About everybody struggles against that Michigan front though to be fair...
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2016, 07:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This is one of the few times that I will disagree with SHRacerX's opinion.  Elfein was far and away the best OLman on the Ohio St. OL, this season.  It became very apparent, early in the season the he and the RG were the only ones able to be relied upon for consistent pass protection, and push in the run game.  Once OSU coaching staff quickly realized that they had likely the worst OT tandem in memory of most fans alive, they geared the offense to run through Elfein.  So, as the season wore on, naturally opposing DCs used that tape to game plan to neutralize Elfein and said RG. 

I would be very surprised if Elfein weren't at least a 2nd team All-American this year.

(12-08-2016, 10:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, my Dad just called a few minutes ago... To let me know that Ohio St. Center won the Rimmington.

Sounds exactly what we need. Would love Elfein in the 1st now.

New O-line coach, new OC, Elfein and a veteran RT and this Offense could be great.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 01:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sounds exactly what we need. Would love Elfein in the 1st now.

New O-line coach, new OC, Elfein and a veteran RT and this Offense could be great.

Lol, eeeasy now.  Let's just hope they draft a decent Center, and convince the OL coach it's time to hang it up..

Part of why I like Elfine, is because he is a naturally aggressive run blocker.  I haven't paid enough specific attention to Pogic to speak on his specifics.  I would guess that he is a good run blocker, as LSU likes to hand the ball off.  My concern with Pogic is his frame.  At 6'7" #300, he is built more for the Tackle position.  What sort of problems would a 6'7" Center pose to a 6'3" QB trying to see the passing lanes?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 02:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Lol, eeeasy now.  Let's just hope they draft a decent Center, and convince the OL coach it's time to hang it up..

Part of why I like Elfine, is because he is a naturally aggressive run blocker.  I haven't paid enough specific attention to Pogic to speak on his specifics.  I would guess that he is a good run blocker, as LSU likes to hand the ball off.  My concern with Pogic is his frame.  At 6'7" #300, he is built more for the Tackle position.  What sort of problems would a 6'7" Center pose to a 6'3" QB trying to see the passing lanes?

Hey man, i just want our weaknesses addressed.

True about Pocic (think this is how it is spelled). Don't matter how good the guy is if Dalton cannot see over him.

Would be different if we had a 6'5" or so QB.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 08:16 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Definitely the defensive side of ball if excluding O-line.

DE, DT, and LB

No particular order (voted LB though) just whichever one offers best value on draft day.

agree with this
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 01:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: About everybody struggles against that Michigan front though to be fair...

Well, to be frank, that Michigan front is not
even close to what he would see
On Sundays.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 01:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Well, to be frank, that Michigan front is not
even close to what he would see
On Sundays.

A few of those guys will be playing on Sundays and honestly i would take a few of them on me Bengals.

Elflein at Center as well. Better than Peko and Bodine eh?
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 01:22 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: A few of those guys will be playing on Sundays and honestly i would take a few of them on me Bengals.

I would take elflien as well dude won the Remington in his very first year at center imagine with another year or 2 how good he could be. when he was guard he went up against Adolphus Washington,Malik mcdowell, joey boss, bama d-line, so he knows how to block. 
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2016, 07:55 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: They may have that with Fej and Smith.  Gotta let them have a shot!  From what I've seen from them, I liked.

Agree with this

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Would love to see Elflein in stripes. But thought he was projected as a second round pick ?

Have wanted defense to get their picks early this year but believe O-line is needs it more.

Would like to grab OT Cam Robinson in 1st to take over RT and be Whits replacement in future.

Then grab Elflein or Pocic whichever one slips with our extra 2nd round pick compliments of McCarron.

Or better yet we have plenty of comp pics coming and a extra good pic when McCarron is traded. Bundle a couple for an extra 1st round pick and take Cam Robinson and Elflein in first.

Problem solved immediately and the defense can have the lions share of picks remaining.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 02:01 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Would love to see Elflein in stripes. But thought he was projected as a second round pick ?

Have wanted defense to get their picks early this year but believe O-line is needs it more.

Would like to grab OT Cam Robinson in 1st to take over RT and be Whits replacement in future.

Then grab Elflein or Pocic whichever one slips with our extra 2nd round pick compliments of McCarron.

Or better yet we have plenty of comp pics coming and a extra good pic when McCarron is traded. Bundle a couple for an extra 1st round pick and take Cam Robinson and Elflein in first.

Problem solved immediately and the defense can have the lions share of picks remaining.

He was projected at very end of first beginning of second and I don't know if it was wining the Remington or what but he's shot up to middle of first. Defensively I really like McMillan at the end of the first if we can package a couple comps or if we trade down to middle teens. They would be a staple of our new core for the next 8-10 years. I do like the idea of Robinson and elflien in first though.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 01:22 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: A few of those guys will be playing on Sundays and honestly i would take a few of them on me Bengals.

My point was that he looked like he struggled when he faced NFL talent. And that line, while good in college, is not as good as he will see in the NFL. Plus, he's coming from a spread system where they are not asked to block as long.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 08:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: My point was that he looked like he struggled when he faced NFL talent.  And that line, while good in college, is not as good as he will see in the NFL.  Plus, he's coming from a spread system where they are not asked to block as long.

I getcha, but still an upgrade over Bodine is my point.

Even elite Centers struggle from time to time against elite fronts.
Reply/Quote
1. We need speed at LB
2. DL
3. WR...Lafell is a FA and we need more speed here as well.
Distant 4th: RB. Although I think the o-line plays into it, Hill/Gio could probably be upgraded

I would mention safeties, but those guys just got new contracts and it's too soon to give up on either. They've played well in the past, so it makes me wonder if something else is the problem there.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2016, 01:36 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. We need speed at LB
2. DL
Distant 4th: RB. Although I think the o-line plays into it, Hill/Gio could probably be upgraded

I would mention safeties, but those guys just got new contracts and it's too soon to give up on either. They've played well in the past, so it makes me wonder if something else is the problem there.
Yeah we need upgrade at the defensive ends. McMillan solves the speed problem at lb. The problem at safety is Williams is trying to learn a new position which is affecting ilokas play. Wr core has shown ability to stretch the defense. 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2016, 01:36 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. We need speed at LB
2. DL

I wouldn't put RB as too distant....They will surely be looking at replacing Hill.  
Reply/Quote