Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 4.39 Average
Ask Jim Owczarski

Reply/Quote
Sorry to see ya' go Jim. Green Bay is lucky to have you.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 05:07 PM)MaineBengal Wrote: Hey JimO - this isn't a question but a comment, I want to compliment you on your writing. It's always at least very solid beat stuff, but a few times each season you pen a real gem. The recent story on John Ross is one of those, and what triggered this comment. Nice job, I'd rather read your stuff than any other Bengals writer.

Last time I compliment a beat writer! A week later he's outta here! Hilarious Tongue Wink 

Congrats JimO -- I'm happy for you, and I imagine I won't be the only one missing your Bengals musings. I'm sure you'll kill it in Wisconsin.
Reply/Quote
Congrats Jim, hope you enjoy it up there.

[Image: kicking-the-tire.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&...RI90R3aQU=]
Reply/Quote
OK, we can now change this to a Ask bfine subforum. I knew more than that dude anyway and I won't leave you.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Sorry for the delay - as y'all know it's been a bit hectic!

@Jakeypoo
A couple of questions
1.) Do you think we will see a lot of 3 safety packages this season with Bates at safety with Iloka, and Williams as linebacker?

Nah, I don’t think so. I think they’d do it if they really felt some bad stuff was happening at linebacker (which is possible) but I think there is a feeling there that three-safeties is more gimmicky than anything else.

2) how is Evans looking at Backer?

He’s been OK. Seems to be getting to the right spots, but like with running backs it’s really hard to evaluate linebackers when there is no live tackling.

3.) The Running Back position seems deep this year do you think they will keep 4 or 3?

Great question. Considering Mixon and Bernard aren’t really going to be used on special teams I’m sure they’d like to have another special teamer to back up Walton. I honestly am not sure how they’re leaning there.

4.) Why are the Bengals/NFL being so stingy with video content this training camp? You think after ratings went down last year that they would want more content out there but it seems the exact opposite.

Heh. The NFL wants to control all of its messaging and that includes video. They feel they are protecting their broadcast partners (at least that’s what they say) but to me I just think coaches are paranoid and don’t want video out there.

@MaineBengal
Thank you so much! The Ross feature was really fun to do, and I appreciate you reading!

@fredtoast
We don’t get the top speed stuff, unfortunately. If you saw the Bears one, Fej on the fake punt actually was faster than Green on his long catch-and-run. I’m not sure how that works or when they measure it. The Bengals do wear GPS every day to measure how much they run and how fast, but they’ve never shared that info.

@shady
Have Kauran White or Devonte Boyd made any noise as WRs? Any chance of making the PS? How about Q. Flowers?

Nope. Those guys are just guys. They need someone to catch balls on a practice squad, but they’re not NFL material yet. Flowers is interesting. These games will be big for him. Still has a long way to go to fully transition to RB in terms of pass protection, ball security and keeping his tracks early when it’s put in his belly.

@Boomerfan @TheLeonardLeap
Thank you! It’s bittersweet. You all have treated me so well – I appreciate it!
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2018, 10:32 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Sorry for the delay - as y'all know it's been a bit hectic!

@Jakeypoo
A couple of questions
1.) Do you think we will see a lot of 3 safety packages this season with Bates at safety with Iloka, and Williams as linebacker?

Nah, I don’t think so. I think they’d do it if they really felt some bad stuff was happening at linebacker (which is possible) but I think there is a feeling there that three-safeties is more gimmicky than anything else.

He’s been OK. Seems to be getting to the right spots, but like with running backs it’s really hard to evaluate linebackers when there is no live tackling.

3.) The Running Back position seems deep this year do you think they will keep 4 or 3?

Great question. Considering Mixon and Bernard aren’t really going to be used on special teams I’m sure they’d like to have another special teamer to back up Walton. I honestly am not sure how they’re leaning there.

4.) Why are the Bengals/NFL being so stingy with video content this training camp? You think after ratings went down last year that they would want more content out there but it seems the exact opposite.

Heh. The NFL wants to control all of its messaging and that includes video. They feel they are protecting their broadcast partners (at least that’s what they say) but to me I just think coaches are paranoid and don’t want video out there.

@MaineBengal
Thank you so much! The Ross feature was really fun to do, and I appreciate you reading!

@fredtoast
We don’t get the top speed stuff, unfortunately. If you saw the Bears one, Fej on the fake punt actually was faster than Green on his long catch-and-run. I’m not sure how that works or when they measure it. The Bengals do wear GPS every day to measure how much they run and how fast, but they’ve never shared that info.

@shady
Have Kauran White or Devonte Boyd made any noise as WRs? Any chance of making the PS? How about Q. Flowers?

Nope. Those guys are just guys. They need someone to catch balls on a practice squad, but they’re not NFL material yet. Flowers is interesting. These games will be big for him. Still has a long way to go to fully transition to RB in terms of pass protection, ball security and keeping his tracks early when it’s put in his belly.

Than you for answering!!!
Thanks for being great and answering all of our questions over the years!!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Hate to see you go.

Almost shed a tear.

Have fun covering Lambeau Field and all its history.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2018, 10:32 PM)jowczarski Wrote: @Jakeypoo
A couple of questions

This will be interesting for you because the Packers are one of those teams who used the 3 safety scheme on a regular basis.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2018, 10:32 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Sorry for the delay - as y'all know it's been a bit hectic!

@Jakeypoo
A couple of questions

@MaineBengal

@fredtoast

@shady

Best of luck buddy. 

Exceptional writer and I get the vibe that you genuinely love what you do. Have fun in Wisconsin.
Reply/Quote
Good luck back in Green Bay. Appreciate all the work you did for us here on this board. Can you ask your replacement to do the same?
Reply/Quote
Sigh...I'll miss having Jim around. Was kinda cool to have an insider.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Congrats Jim, thanks for helping us understand the inner workings of the FO and giving us players updates. At least you will be joining a first class organization in Green Bay and not going to the Steelers. If you left for the Steeler's my respect for you would have terminated. You would have been dead to me.....J/K...….Maybe

I hope you find time to continue to drop in and say hi from time to time and offer your prospective of the Super Bowl match up between the Packers and the Bengals in February.

All the best!
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Hope you eat so much cheese you can not poop for a week you traitor.

Just kidding, thanks for your contributions and including us in.

Have a blessed journey.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote