Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
At what point will fans admit we're rebuilding?
Over the past 2 free agency periods we lost a bunch of experienced, quality starters.

1 ) Jones - Starting WR2
2 ) Sanu - Quality WR3
3 ) Nelson - Starting Safety and great against the pass
4 ) Whitworth - Starting LT, perennial Pro Bowl player, and Team Leader
5 ) Zeitler - Starting Guard - Nearing Pro Bowl caliber
6 ) Peko - Team leader and run stuffer
7 ) Maualuga - Run stuffing LB but terrible against the pass
8 ) Leon Hall - Good CB with experience who was used to cover mainly slot receivers his last year here.
9 ) Dansby
10 ) Lamur
11 ) Andre Smith when he was starting RT. (He came back as a backup G.) When he was our starting Tackle...he was pretty good.
12 ) Burkhead

The 1st wave of losses pushed us down to a 6.5 win team. Then we lost our 2 best offensive lineman this past offseason and so far are 0-2.

We don't really sign more than bargain bin free agents so these guys weren't replaced much there. Lafell was a good signing. Minter appears to be.

Then our drafts haven't been producing a lot of impact. In time they may, but they haven't produced enough impact to negate these losses.

Plain and simple we're rebuilding. On offense alone we need 4 starting caliber lineman. Possible a starting TE depending on Eifert. On defense, we may need upgrades at DT, DE, and LB.

Probably too many holes to fix in one offseason...especially since we only sign bargain bin free agents.
Reply/Quote
I don't see us as a rebuilding team. I see us as more of a falling apart team.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I won't say that we're rebuilding.

There is too much talent on our roster to call it a rebuild.

Give this team to any respectable coaching staff and it's a contender. Our group of literal chucklef***s are squandering it.
Reply/Quote
Rebuilding? You mean this isn't the best assembled team we've had in ages?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 12:30 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I won't say that we're rebuilding.

There is too much talent on our roster to call it a rebuild.

Give this team to any respectable coaching staff and it's a contender. Our group of literal chucklef***s are squandering it.

Green and Atkins are pushing 30.

While we do have some high end talent, having a terrible offensive line negates it all.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 12:29 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I don't see us as a rebuilding team. I see us as more of a falling apart team.

Yup. The building has to fall down before it can be rebuilt. And right now it has been falling for a year now.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 12:29 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I don't see us as a rebuilding team. I see us as more of a falling apart team.

Sounds about right.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
[Image: marvin1.jpeg]
Reply/Quote

Lol. Yeah "rebuilding" is a word that suggests you're methodical and have a plan to succeed. 

I think deteriorating due to complacency is a better way to put it. Mike Brown paid a couple of the big names, so letting the o-line fall apart is how Mike will make up the difference. Same scenario as 2008. The dude never learns. Guess the same can be said of us as fans.

Btw...we have 10 wins in our last 27 games. 6-11-1 since last year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The irony is the Bengals preserved cap space several years ago to put THIS TEAM on the field.

The past 2 free agency periods gutted the roster. Partly because the Bengals won't pay guys at certain positions a penny over what they think the position is worth.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 01:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Lol. Yeah "rebuilding" is a word that suggests you're methodical and have a plan to succeed. 

I think deteriorating due to complacency is a better way to put it. Mike Brown paid a couple of the big names, so letting the o-line fall apart is how Mike will make up the difference. Same scenario as 2008. The dude never learns. Guess the same can be said of us as fans.

Btw...we have 10 wins in our last 27 games. 6-11-1 since last year.

Same scenario as 2008?

Oh boy, that means next season we get the 6th OL again! Someone dial up Dennis Roland.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
We are Marvin'ing, have been for a while now. But I will say "We have seen some good things" and "it's a football game" and "we got to do a better job".
Reply/Quote
Rebuilding requires a vision, a plan, and execution of that plan. Even if I believed there was a true vision and plan around rebuilding (which I don't), I have zero confidence in the FO's ability to execute it.
Reply/Quote
We need to get better. Giggle giggle
Reply/Quote
I think if we had a good HC, OC and O-line coach we would skip re-building all together and just go from crap to quality.
Reply/Quote
If this team is "Rebuilding" then it's time to trade away the stars on this team for draft picks.

AJ Green could get 2 first round picks.
Geno Atkins could get a first and a second
Andy Dalton could get a first and a third
Giovanni Bernard could get a second
Vontaze Burfict could get a first and a second
Carlos Dunlap could get a first and a third

All I'm saying is that if the Bengals are going to rebuild, then rebuild.
Reply/Quote
I'd love to see Green go to the Patriots and get a ring. He honestly deserves it.

No way would any NFL team give us a 1st and 2nd Round pick for Burfict.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 12:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Over the past 2 free agency periods we lost a bunch of experienced, quality starters.

1 ) Jones - Starting WR2
2 ) Sanu - Quality WR3
3 ) Nelson - Starting Safety and great against the pass
4 ) Whitworth - Starting LT, perennial Pro Bowl player, and Team Leader
5 ) Zeitler - Starting Guard - Nearing Pro Bowl caliber
6 ) Peko - Team leader and run stuffer
7 ) Maualuga - Run stuffing LB but terrible against the pass
8 ) Leon Hall - Good CB with experience who was used to cover mainly slot receivers his last year here.
9 ) Dansby
10 ) Lamur
11 ) Andre Smith when he was starting RT. (He came back as a backup G.) When he was our starting Tackle...he was pretty good.
12 ) Burkhead

The 1st wave of losses pushed us down to a 6.5 win team. Then we lost our 2 best offensive lineman this past offseason and so far are 0-2.

We don't really sign more than bargain bin free agents so these guys weren't replaced much there. Lafell was a good signing. Minter appears to be.

Then our drafts haven't been producing a lot of impact. In time they may, but they haven't produced enough impact to negate these losses.

Plain and simple we're rebuilding. On offense alone we need 4 starting caliber lineman. Possible a starting TE depending on Eifert. On defense, we may need upgrades at DT, DE, and LB.

Probably too many holes to fix in one offseason...especially since we only sign bargain bin free agents.

What is the benefit for a fan to admit a team is rebuilding? Do you think as a season ticket holder it would ease my pain of wasting money if I thought they were rebuilding? This team has too much talent to not win, you act like 30 is old when a 35 year old (Suggs) just ripped as apart last week. Our core is good, they failed putting together the role players and football players to help our great core starting with the OL.

Rebuild or reload, this I know. The PBS fans last night are fed up, fed up with MB, fed up with ML and Zampese. The Bengals lost their enthusiastic home fans and it may take 5 years to get them back. That is where the rebuilding is taking place.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 01:31 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: What is the benefit for a fan to admit a team is rebuilding? Do you think as a season ticket holder it would ease my pain of wasting money if I thought they were rebuilding? This team has too much talent to not win, you act like 30 is old when a 35 year old (Suggs) just ripped as apart last week. Our core is good, they failed putting together the role players and football players to help our great core starting with the OL.

Rebuild or reload, this I know. The PBS fans last night are fed up, fed up with MB, fed up with ML and Zampese. The Bengals lost their enthusiastic home fans and it may take 5 years to get them back. That is where the rebuilding is taking place.

I just listed 12 good guys that we've lost over the past 2 years that were upper 1/2 of the roster guys. Some were Top 5 to 10 guys on the roster that we lost.

If you take 12 players off of the top half of any roster...they're likely rebuilding.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 01:15 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Same scenario as 2008?

Oh boy, that means next season we get the 6th OL again! Someone dial up Dennis Roland.

I've seriously been waiting for them to pull out the ol' extra tackle this year. What a joke that was. Had to drastically change the offense to cover up the fact that we wouldn't pay for an o-line.

(09-15-2017, 01:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd love to see Green go to the Patriots and get a ring. He honestly deserves it.

No way would any NFL team give us a 1st and 2nd Round pick for Burfict.

I like Green, but what about Atkins? Poor guy is balling out with 3 sacks in 2 games. He's our only legit (should be) HOF'er and his career is being wasted.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote