Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
At what point will fans admit we're rebuilding?
(10-24-2017, 10:34 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: First off on Dunlap, Geno, and Dennard they will probably sign two of those before next season starts and franchise the other. So I doubt any of them leave after next season.
On the Wr point Ross is unproven got it that doesn't= bad which somehow you think. Also how is Malone turning into a good player that incredibly low  of a percentage what proof or evidence do you have to say that he will be bad.
The offensive line is a daunting task no doubt but a couple of smart free agent moves and a couple of good picks could turn it around. 

Yes...every draft pick we have will turn into a star. We obviously drafted 5 Pro Bowl players in this last draft.

Reality is we're lucky to get 1 or 2 quality starters out of ANY draft. If we get 3 that's great.

Even Lawson has a lot of work to do. He's pretty bad against the run and the Steelers coaches knew to just push him wide on pass rushes.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 12:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Let's see what happens with him the rest of year.

Anyway, doesn't LaFell have another year on his contract? He's the #2 next year regardless. 

LaFell's deal was basically a 1 year deal with a team option for the 2nd year. He has no guaranteed money so we'd save $4 million if we cut him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
This was posted in 2017, but it still rings true...We lost A LOT of key players in free agency back then, and STILL haven't replaced their level of production...with the exception of WR. -------

Over the past 2 free agency periods we lost a bunch of experienced, quality starters.

1 ) Jones - Starting WR2
2 ) Sanu - Quality WR3
3 ) Nelson - Starting Safety and great against the pass
4 ) Whitworth - Starting LT, perennial Pro Bowl player, and Team Leader
5 ) Zeitler - Starting Guard - Nearing Pro Bowl caliber
6 ) Peko - Team leader and run stuffer
7 ) Maualuga - Run stuffing LB but terrible against the pass
8 ) Leon Hall - Good CB with experience who was used to cover mainly slot receivers his last year here.
9 ) Dansby
10 ) Lamur
11 ) Andre Smith when he was starting RT. (He came back as a backup G.) When he was our starting Tackle...he was pretty good.
12 ) Burkhead
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 11:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This was posted in 2017, but it still rings true...We lost A LOT of key players in free agency back then, and STILL haven't replaced their level of production...with the exception of WR. -------

Over the past 2 free agency periods we lost a bunch of experienced, quality starters.

1 ) Jones - Starting WR2
2 ) Sanu - Quality WR3
3 ) Nelson - Starting Safety and great against the pass
4 ) Whitworth - Starting LT, perennial Pro Bowl player, and Team Leader
5 ) Zeitler - Starting Guard - Nearing Pro Bowl caliber
6 ) Peko - Team leader and run stuffer
7 ) Maualuga - Run stuffing LB but terrible against the pass
8 ) Leon Hall - Good CB with experience who was used to cover mainly slot receivers his last year here.
9 ) Dansby
10 ) Lamur
11 ) Andre Smith when he was starting RT. (He came back as a backup G.) When he was our starting Tackle...he was pretty good.
12 ) Burkhead

I agree in terms of replacing production. But attempts have been made at replacing those guys with high picks.
Jones - Ross
Sanu - Boyd
Nelson - Bates
Whit - Jonah
Zeitler - Price (Miller?)
Peko - Wren
Maulauga - Preston
Dansby - Pratt
Hall - Jackson
Burkhead - Mixon
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Cincinnati Bengals have been rebuilding since January 2016. Unfortunately the coaches didn’t get the memo.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 12:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Green and Atkins are pushing 30.

While we do have some high end talent, having a terrible offensive line negates it all.

and some really bad linebackers. Deion Jones and Shaq Thompson will be free agents in 2020 and should be high priority for the Bengals.

Bring back Whitworth in 2020 to let him retire in stripes. He'll be a free agent, too. 

We can't do nothing in FA. We should draft nothing but Oline and LBs. I think drafting a QB is premature. Besides, I think we need to take a closer look at Dolegala and Finley.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 11:20 PM)XsandOs Wrote: I agree in terms of replacing production. But attempts have been made at replacing those guys with high picks.
Jones - Ross
Sanu - Boyd
Nelson - Bates
Whit - Jonah
Zeitler - Price (Miller?)
Peko - Wren
Maulauga - Preston
Dansby - Pratt
Hall - Jackson
Burkhead - Mixon

Agreed...that they tried to replace guys.

That's where lack of scouts comes into the discussion. Our last 3-4 drafts have not been good.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 12:03 AM)Shady Wrote: and some really bad linebackers. Deion Jones and Shaq Thompson will be free agents in 2020 and should be high priority for the Bengals.

Bring back Whitworth in 2020 to let him retire in stripes. He'll be a free agent, too. 

We can't do nothing in FA. We should draft nothing but Oline and LBs. I think drafting a QB is premature. Besides, I think we need to take a closer look at Dolegala and Finley.

We do it every year...we make lists of free agents that the Bengals should sign.

Then, they don't.

Look for guys who are on the wrong side of 30 who will take a 1 year deal. Or an injured veteran who used to be good.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 12:29 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We do it every year...we make lists of free agents that the Bengals should sign.

Then, they don't.

Look for guys who are on the wrong side of 30 who will take a 1 year deal. Or an injured veteran who used to be good.

Are you suggesting we might sign Big Ben next year? 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 12:42 AM)Shady Wrote: Are you suggesting we might sign Big Ben next year? 

Only if the Tommy John goes bad and he can never throw again. Then, he'd be in our price range.

Ironically, we signed Neil O'Donnel before. We seem to like ex-Steelers.
Reply/Quote
I think the "rebuilding mode" in the nfl is a phrase for crappy gm's to justify their suckiness..
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 09:56 AM)jason Wrote: That's funny, because I'd love to see AJ Green eat shit if he were on the Patriots. He doesn't "deserve" a damn thing. He's at the top of his profession,  making good loot, married with a kid. He's doin' alright. I don't pity a damn player on the Bengals, and **** the Patriots (and the other 30 NFL teams.)

If i were to type a reply to this thread, it would be those exact same words. But i'm not going to reply to this thread. 

Because you already did. In the same way i would have. 

Totes

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 04:46 PM)Older Than You Wrote: Our QB is fine, his line playing so bad that he's become jumpy and inaccurate is not however.

It's really about weapons and using them. Andy has never really had a ton of weapons when you think about it (despite our love with drafting 'would be' weapons). And Andy isn't elite enough to make everyone around him better, like a top five QB would.

How many seasons has Andy had a good running game? Two at the most, really more like one (2014)? Other than AJ what has Andy had to pass to, Jerome Simpson for one year, Marvin Jones for one year, Tyler Eifert for one year. And by "one year" I mean they were only good here for one year, whether it be due to injury or inconsistent play.

We like to think and say Andy has always had good talented weapons around him, but he really hasn't. They've always been either inconsistent or mismanaged (ie Gio). 

Wow. This reply is chock-full of excuses for QB14.  Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 04:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Even with a new HC, we need 4 new offensive lineman, a new WR, a DT, and possibly 2 starting-caliber LB's.

Plus IF we don't win next year...we likely lose 2 of Atkins/Dunlap/Dennard.

For a team that doesn't really use free agency, how do you add 8 new starters?

You keep saying that, but they don't. No one knows how Jonah Williams will do. I don't know what's going on with Glenn...
Price played much better than MJ did while he was in. He had a whiff on a pass pro that caused pressure, he got ran over and negated a TD and there were a couple other times he got his weight too far back, but as i said, he definitely played better than MJ. Hopkins is solid at C. Miller is meh but he's average or close to it at least. People crap all over Hart, but he's playing well in the run game and (mostly) in pass pro. 

So they have two solid guys in Hopkins and Hart, a first round pick in Williams, (maybe) Glenn, Price, when he keeps his balance plays at least average and Jerry is a quality backup. 

Jerry is their 4th LT already this year and looks much better than Andre there and MJ was not playing well at all. Add in Sample missing multiple blocks on runs and pass pro and sprinkle in a few misses here and there (that are going to happen to every team) and they have been very unstable on the line. 

PFF can go blow themselves. They don't know offensive line play from a banana. 

Jerry, Price, Hopkins, Miller and Hart are their best options to start right now. Price just needs the reps. 

Reply/Quote
****ing thread necros...

Reply/Quote
I agree, when Jones and Sanu left, we became a turrible team.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 02:57 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You keep saying that, but they don't. No one knows how Jonah Williams will do. I don't know what's going on with Glenn...
Price played much better than MJ did while he was in. He had a whiff on a pass pro that caused pressure, he got ran over and negated a TD and there were a couple other times he got his weight too far back, but as i said, he definitely played better than MJ. Hopkins is solid at C. Miller is meh but he's average or close to it at least. People crap all over Hart, but he's playing well in the run game and (mostly) in pass pro. 

So they have two solid guys in Hopkins and Hart, a first round pick in Williams, (maybe) Glenn, Price, when he keeps his balance plays at least average and Jerry is a quality backup. 

Jerry is their 4th LT already this year and looks much better than Andre there and MJ was not playing well at all. Add in Sample missing multiple blocks on runs and pass pro and sprinkle in a few misses here and there (that are going to happen to every team) and they have been very unstable on the line. 

PFF can go blow themselves. They don't know offensive line play from a banana. 

Jerry, Price, Hopkins, Miller and Hart are their best options to start right now. Price just needs the reps. 

Williams at Tackle and Hopkins at Center might be good enough to win. We'll have to wait and see. Heck, Jonah could be the second coming of Whitworth or a bust. We don't know.

The rest will need to prove it.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 09:33 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I agree, when Jones and Sanu left, we became a turrible team.

Losing Whitworth and Zeitler hurt arguably worse.

But, hey people were happy we didn't pay a Guard $10 million.

Instead, we spent that money years later on signing injured guys like Dennard who may not play.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 01:46 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If i were to type a reply to this thread, it would be those exact same words. But i'm not going to reply to this thread. 

Because you already did. In the same way i would have. 

Totes

Years ago maybe.... I thought I was really drunk last night when I read that at first.

#blackout
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 03:04 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: ****ing thread necros...

Well, that's the beauty of this organization: you can go back years and dredge up an old topic, and while some of the players may have changed, or there may have been a coaching change or two, the collective team suck goes merrily on.  The O-line issues, the annual drubbing by the Steelers, the free-agency ineptitude, the wasted draft picks, the bone-headed coaching, the players' mental lapses, the owner's clueless, antiquated droning, and on and on.  

Bookmark this thread, and if Mike is still alive and haunting this team, we'll see the same complaints being discussed in 2021.  Let's all try and act surprised.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote