Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auden Tate-updated
Tate has been a pleasant surprise at WR. Is he the best receiver in the league? No, but he has performed better than anyone expected him to. His catch % is also reflective of the fact that he's had two inconsistent QB's throwing to him. His catch radius has been ridiculous. Could he work on separation, yes, but better offensive scheme would likely help as well.

But by all means lets keep putting down a guy who has played hard, above his expected level and wanted to be on the field versus a lot of our divas who are making a lot more money and can't be bothered to earn it.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 01:46 AM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger  Then there is the possibility he works hard over the off season, and gets better.... 

Sure.  There's also the possibility that the light switch turns on for Bobby Hart and John Ross finally stays healthy, too.  You can't bank on any of those three happening, though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 10:17 AM)R3stangs Wrote: Tate has been a pleasant surprise at WR. Is he the best receiver in the league? No, but he has performed better than anyone expected him to. His catch % is also reflective of the fact that he's had two inconsistent QB's throwing to him. His catch radius has been ridiculous. Could he work on separation, yes, but better offensive scheme would likely help as well.

But by all means lets keep putting down a guy who has played hard, above his expected level and wanted to be on the field versus a lot of our divas who are making a lot more money and can't be bothered to earn it.

The "bad QB" argument has no merit because all our WR's have the same guys throwing to them.

The reality is that a guy like Ross can have a ton of drops  and still have a higher catch % because he can separate and create easier throws for the QB.  Tate has a hard time getting separation which puts a ton of pressure on the QB to have great ball placement and put the ball where only Tate can get it.  That results in a lot of inaccurate throws.
It's also easier for defenders to make a play on the ball due to that lack of separation.

He is what he is, which is a #4-5 WR.  There's nothing wrong with that and I'm not saying he should be cut, but they need to be trying to upgrade over him.
Reply/Quote
Tate to IR. Season over.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 11:09 AM)Whatever Wrote: The "bad QB" argument has no merit because all our WR's have the same guys throwing to them.

The reality is that a guy like Ross can have a ton of drops  and still have a higher catch % because he can separate and create easier throws for the QB.  Tate has a hard time getting separation which puts a ton of pressure on the QB to have great ball placement and put the ball where only Tate can get it.  That results in a lot of inaccurate throws.
It's also easier for defenders to make a play on the ball due to that lack of separation.

He is what he is, which is a #4-5 WR.  There's nothing wrong with that and I'm not saying he should be cut, but they need to be trying to upgrade over him.

Agreed. If they can find an upgrade, then take it. With that being said, Tate is a decent receiver. He's no world beater, but he was a 7th round pick who has been able to provide some sparks at times which is great value for a 7th rounder. If he can be a 4th-5th guy and provide that same life sometimes/perhaps be a red zone weapon, that would be great.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2019, 12:20 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'm sorry, but who exactly is Tate going to start for?

The Bengals are top five in the league in pass attempts and our de facto #2 for most of the year would have about 750 yards and 1 TD over 16 games.  That's not good. He also has the 2nd worst catch % among WR's on the team, ahead of only Stanley Morgan.

Tate is a decent depth player, but this offense is going to struggle next year if Tate is a significant part of the Offensive game plan.

Cody Core, is that you?  Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 10:51 AM)Whatever Wrote: Sure.  There's also the possibility that the light switch turns on for Bobby Hart and John Ross finally stays healthy, too.  You can't bank on any of those three happening, though.

Why can't you? There has been obvious improvement from day one with #19. The other two have remained turds for a few years now.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 12:15 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Agreed. If they can find an upgrade, then take it. With that being said, Tate is a decent receiver. He's no world beater, but he was a 7th round pick who has been able to provide some sparks at times which is great value for a 7th rounder. If he can be a 4th-5th guy and provide that same life sometimes/perhaps be a red zone weapon, that would be great.

Correct.

Reply/Quote
I think Tate has Star potential. I believe we’ll see him blossom next season.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 10:51 AM)Whatever Wrote: Sure.  There's also the possibility that the light switch turns on for Bobby Hart and John Ross finally stays healthy, too.  You can't bank on any of those three happening, though.

Possibility ?

Tate has improved on the field in actual games. That's not possibility !

Is Tate gonna be the next J. Rice ? I doubt it ? But I'm not going to just write off actual improvement in real games and take another totally unproven late rounder over Tate next season just because he can run faster.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 12:15 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Agreed. If they can find an upgrade, then take it. With that being said, Tate is a decent receiver. He's no world beater, but he was a 7th round pick who has been able to provide some sparks at times which is great value for a 7th rounder. If he can be a 4th-5th guy and provide that same life sometimes/perhaps be a red zone weapon, that would be great.

Exactly. He's a 7th round pick. If a 7th rounder plays out his rookie contract for you as a decent depth player, then you hit.   
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 11:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Wonder IF he'll be ready for training camp...the way things go here...

After the knee replacement surgery and possible amputation of the other knee, but he'll be ready otherwise. Keyword: DINGED
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Tate was,written off back in the preseason.
All he's done is gone out and produced when his name,
Has been called.
With a more creative game plan his numbers can imprI've
Hes a class act and total team guy.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 12:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Why can't you? There has been obvious improvement from day one with #19. The other two have remained turds for a few years now.

(12-11-2019, 01:14 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Possibility ?

Tate has improved on the field in actual games. That's not possibility !

Is Tate gonna be the next J. Rice ? I doubt it ? But I'm not going to just write off actual improvement in real games and take another totally unproven late rounder over Tate next season just because he can run faster.

Let's be real guys, he was terrible during the regular season last year.  Of course he showed improvement.  He couldn't get much worse.  Willis has had a better rookie year than Tate and he's been bounced to the PS multiple times.  

He hasn't shown any real improvement week to week during the regular season, either.  The biggest difference I see from preseason is that he's doing much better at using his size after the catch to break/drag tacklers to the sticks.

I mocked Josh Tupou to us a bunch of times and he's shown improvement.  It doesn't mean I'm comfortable with him starting if Billings leaves.

He is dead last in catch % among WR's with 25+ catches.  He has 1 TD in 2 seasons. That's not starter quality.  

Beyond that, presuming AJ leaves, we're looking at a top 3 of Boyd-Ross-Tate.  Boyd isn't a true #1, Ross is too injury prone to be counted on, and Tate is mediocre and has also had his share of injury issues. That position group needs seriously addressed this upcoming off-season.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 02:19 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Tate was,written off back in the preseason.
All he's done is gone out and produced when his name,
Has been called.
With a more creative game plan his numbers can imprI've
Hes a class act and total team guy.

1 TD in 2 years in the league.

47.8% career catch %.

Yet "All he's done has gone out and produced whenever his name has been called."
Reply/Quote
I like how Tate goes up for the ball man, just snatches it out of the air like AJ.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 02:52 PM)Whatever Wrote: 1 TD in 2 years in the league.

47.8% career catch %.

Yet "All he's done has gone out and produced whenever his name has been called."

Like I said 
29 1st downs on 40 catches 
That's producing and moving the chains 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 02:42 PM)Whatever Wrote: Beyond that, presuming AJ leaves, we're looking at a top 3 of Boyd-Ross-Tate.  Boyd isn't a true #1, Ross is too injury prone to be counted on, and Tate is mediocre and has also had his share of injury issues. That position group needs seriously addressed this upcoming off-season.

I don't dispute that in any way.

I am of the opinion AJ will be gone next season. Ross, well let's just say you can't rely on him.

That leaves us with Boyd, (great #2) Tate, and Erickson that have produced anything at all. We're either gonna have to bring in a vet WR or draft a mid rounder and late one.

But I hope they keep Tate and see where he ends up ? If it's just WR#4 possession/red zone receiver so be it.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 05:04 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't dispute that in any way.

I am of the opinion AJ will be gone next season. Ross, well let's just say you can't rely on him.

That leaves us with Boyd, (great #2) Tate, and Erickson that have produced anything at all. We're either gonna have to bring in a vet WR or draft a mid rounder and late one.

But I hope they keep Tate and see where he ends up ? If it's just WR#4 possession/red zone receiver so be it.

This depends on who emerges next year if anyone. I doubt the Bengals will do what they did the year they drafted AJ then Andy in round 2, but that didn't turn out horrible as some had predicted. Both are still with the team for better or worse. It's possible they draft a very good receiver in the first and hang onto Andy another year or so then address QB later. Who knows what evil lurks in the minds of the Bengals..I doubt even the Shadow knows anymore.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 04:55 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Like I said 
29 1st downs on 40 catches 
That's producing and moving the chains 

29 first downs receiving is 49th in the league.
Reply/Quote