Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Awful NFL officiating.
So the officiating is bad, but it's probably always been bad. We see it more now because of constant, immediate replays from a number of angles combined with rules that are somewhat subjective with regards to player safety.

Apart from stopping the game to review every play there will never be a way to really improve it. Even consistency will be difficult to improve in some aspects. But I already have a hard enough time watching three hours of television for seventeen minutes of actual action, so it's whatever. Human error is a part of the game, always has been. We just have the ability to ***** about it more.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
The refs had plenty of opportunity with INSTANT REPLAY to get the call right. They didn't. No excuse. We have replay for a reason.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 09:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: Clearly the Bengals fans have a gripe about the fumble call at the end of this week's game.

But you folks certainly weren't the only one that were victim to the best the NFL can have (part time).

Lions had a TD taken away because the officials called what they THOUGHT happened instead of watching what really happened.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/18/12960274/eric-ebron-penalty-lions-titans-referees-lol-drive

Add in the taunting penalty on Pryor in the Ravens game.  Guys jaw at each other and get separated by officials who push them and never throw a flag but threw one there?  Please.

Matt Stafford got hit low and the refs just walked away.

The officials are awful and inconsistent from game to game and crew to crew.  Its almost not worth complaining about anymore because the league does not care.

Yes there's bad calls in every game but today was a whole other level of bullshit. It was so blatantly bad it goes beyond just "bad officiating".
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Take the officials off the field and what do we still have? The fact that Pitt can't block without holding. 

https://vine.co/u/958239988380794880

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 02:00 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Take the officials off the field and what do we still have? The fact that Pitt can't block without holding. 

Holy ***** shit dude. WHAT WERE THE REFS WATCHING ALL GAME? I thought I was over the game but god ***** damnit.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 02:05 AM)treee Wrote: Holy ***** shit dude. WHAT WERE THE REFS WATCHING ALL GAME? I thought I was over the game but god ***** damnit.

I was cracking the EFF up on how there were 2 and 3 holds on about every one of those vines. 

That Munchak is working wonders over there.  Cool

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 02:00 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Take the officials off the field and what do we still have? The fact that Pitt can't block without holding. 

Uhh, you are aware that you just showed a textbook block.  Decastro has his hand on the exact place you're supposed to have it.  O-linemen are taught to use the chest plate of the shoulder pads as a steering wheel.  Any grabbing that takes place between the shoulders, unless it's a jersey grab take down, should never draw a flag.  Also, it does not appear that Decastro's other arm is wrapped around the defender.  There are plenty of holds in every game that aren't called, that isn't one of them.

Do you have a vine for the face mask penalty on Peko that wasn't called?
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 02:11 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I was cracking the EFF up on how there were 2 and 3 holds on about every one of those vines. 

That Munchak is working wonders over there.  Cool

The James hold was absolutely a penalty that should have been called, except Bengals fans shouldn't ask for it because it's the exact hold that was called when Haggans was held in SB XL and you guys told us all that was a legal play and shouldn't have been called.

Lance McAlister is kind of a crybaby ***** huh?
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 02:24 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The James hold was absolutely a penalty that should have been called, except Bengals fans shouldn't ask for it because it's the exact hold that was called when Haggans was held in SB XL and you guys told us all that was a legal play and shouldn't have been called.

I agree that penalties get missed on both sides, but some of those are so flagrant that you have to wonder what the hell the refs actually were looking at? Like the one where Margus is getting chokeheld. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 02:20 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Uhh, you are aware that you just showed a textbook block.  Decastro has his hand on the exact place you're supposed to have it.  O-linemen are taught to use the chest plate of the shoulder pads as a steering wheel.  Any grabbing that takes place between the shoulders, unless it's a jersey grab take down, should never draw a flag.  Also, it does not appear that Decastro's other arm is wrapped around the defender.  There are plenty of holds in every game that aren't called, that isn't one of them.

Do you have a vine for the face mask penalty on Peko that wasn't called?

I didn't see that one coming... Ninja 

If you don't like a missed call, or have an issue with the way the Bengals play, show some proof. The likelyhood is, if it's obvious, i'm going to agree with it because i saw many penalties that weren't called on the Bengals side today. 

There are MANY instances in those vines of Steelers blockers blatantly holding. Whether they're called or not is irrelevant to my point that they IN FACT happened. A LOT. 

Irrefutable, undeniable, inexcusable. The Steelers line, today, could not block without just about tackling multiple defenders on many plays. 

As to your point on the "textbook" block, grasping/holding is perfectly legal UNTIL you inhibit a defenders progress. You can not hold if a defender is trying to break free from the block. Most fans don't know this, so every time they see a fist full of jersey, they go bonkers.

So, yes, you can hold in certain situations up to a certain point. There was a hell of a lot of 'beyond that point' today. Irrefutable, undeniable, inexcusable. 

P.S. If you can only pick out one guy, on one of those plays, that wasn't holding, you're fighting a losing battle.   Wink 

DISCLAIMER: This series of posts is to illustrate what a turd, hair pulling, hold-teaching nugget that doucher Munchak is.  Cool

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 02:24 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The James hold was absolutely a penalty that should have been called, except Bengals fans shouldn't ask for it because it's the exact hold that was called when Haggans was held in SB XL and you guys told us all that was a legal play and shouldn't have been called.

I said no such thing!!! Mad <----i don't like the current 'mad' smilie. It's not red and doesn't properly represent my rage. 

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 02:24 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Lance McAlister is kind of a crybaby ***** huh?

He did walk off-air during a Bengals Pep Rally (friday show on the radio) when Bob Trumpy revealed something about someone that Lance told him in confidence. Then, a while later, Lance says Trumpy basically mugged him to get some money from a lost bet. 

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 10:29 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Right - because the refs didn't dictate the end of the Cleveland game either.

I'm not upset at the game today because I called it from beginning to end. Step back and look around the league and maybe you can see how often the refs do this shit to everyone - Steelers included.

Bad calls happen all of the time and IMO it's mostly from judgement calls being made about something that happens in the blink of an eye. Consistency is also an issue and you're  always going to have both regardless of having full time officials or not.  
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 02:43 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote:  There are MANY instances in those vines of Steelers blockers blatantly holding.

And there aren't vines of the Bengals doing that because.....the Steelers won. I'm sure that I could go back and match Lance vine for vine if I wanted to but what's the point? 

Like I said elsewhere, whining about holding calls is the hallmark of losers. It's what you do when your teams loses. Even Steelers fans are guilty of this. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 04:29 AM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: And there aren't vines of the Bengals doing that because.....the Steelers won. I'm sure that I could go back and match Lance vine for vine if I wanted to but what's the point? 

Like I said elsewhere, whining about holding calls is the hallmark of losers. It's what you do when your teams loses. Even Steelers fans are guilty of this. 

No, please do.  Prove that the Bengals were equally as egregious in their holding.  Prove all us whiners wrong...

I'd hold my breath but something tells me you won't be able to produce jack shit.
Well does he have a name or should I call him... lawyer?
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 04:29 AM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: And there aren't vines of the Bengals doing that because.....the Steelers won. I'm sure that I could go back and match Lance vine for vine if I wanted to but what's the point? 

I do remember when the Giants won the Superbowl some sorry Pats fan went back and dissected the circus catch play from like 20 angles and found that every single lineman was holding and other stuff and I remember not feeling sympathetic. Perhaps there is some legitimacy to what you're saying. It is the consistent blatancy with which the Steelers displayed their frequent extra curriculars, I think, that is so offensive. It seems as if, not only did the refs "miss" the calls, but were actively ignoring them. Either that or they cheated on the eye exam portion of their yearly physical.
Reply/Quote
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17576262/nfl-acknowledged-missed-calls-jacksonville-jaguars-week-1-loss-green-bay-packers

Quote:The NFL acknowledged a number of questionable calls that went against theJacksonville Jaguars during their Week 1 loss to the Green Bay Packers, league sources told ESPN.

Of the 16 calls that the league recognized as going against the Jaguars, a key one was a missed defensive holding by Packers defensive back Micah Hyde against wide receiver Rashad Greene that would have given Jacksonville a first-and-goal from the Green Bay 9-yard line with under a minute left and a chance to win the game, the sources said. The Jaguars instead failed on the ensuing fourth-and-1 and lost 27-23.

The missed calls became a topic of discussion at an internal Jaguars meeting, sources said, with team officials believing that the referees missed at least four pass interference calls committed on wide receiver Allen Robinson, including potential penalties by Damarious Randall and Sam Shields.

Robinson took the high road in discussing the officiating after Sunday's game.

"It's not about the calls," Robinson said. "Blake [Bortles] gave me a ton of opportunities to make a play. I've got to make more plays. Seeing that that's how the game is being called, I've got to adjust my physicality to the game."

Wide receiver Marqise Lee, meanwhile, was more pointed in blaming the officiating.

"I don't know what the refs were looking at," Lee said. "We had some [penalties] we felt should have been called."

The competition committee used to regulate the number of complaints a team could make to the NFL, asking teams to keep it at 10 per game. But the Jaguars questioned significantly more, and the NFL agreed there were 16 calls that could have gone the other way.

16 calls.

16!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
and Ebron is my TE. That's annoying.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I'm not saying we would have one that game, but we deserved a shot to at least try to tie it up. The bad officiating took that shot away.

Its almost like the refs were looking the other way every time a Bengals defender were held. I've never seen so many missed obvious holding calls in my life.  

Oh and the Mike Mitchell play were he clearly was launching himself at the head of the receiver. WTF is that?
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 10:09 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Calls won't be correct until they are made (or at least corrected) by refs watching on tv. Even that doesn't eliminate bad judgement.

It would help if the rules were written in a way that they can be understood and applied consistently.
This last paragraph is the problem.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote