Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Awful NFL officiating.
(09-19-2016, 03:30 PM)Dill Wrote: Do you think they are more inconsistent/incompetent than in previous years?  Just wondering.

I have heard fans make conspiracy claims about the Patriots as well.  I wonder who the refs will favor when the Pats and Steers play each other in Pitt this season.

I honestly think they've been consistently atrocious in our series for years now. It just never seems a well officiated game. It certainly never seems as well officiated as most of the other games we play.

Honest question (and honestly not a prelude to some smack talk), what do Steelers fans think of the officiating in the games with the Bengals? Worse/Better/Of Equal quality to the rest of their schedule?
Reply/Quote
Put the horrid officiating in this game in a basket together with the games last year and it is REALLY hard not to feel like there is some sort of "screw the Bengals" thing going on.

First they put an incompetent head official (Parry) in a game and he loses control of the game. So what do they then do? Put the same moron in charge of a playoff game where his crew AGAIN loses control and directly influences the outcome of the game with multiple BAD calls. Then add in the fiasco yesterday where the "new" crew misses multiple textbook holds, rules a TD out of bounds and caps it off by making a DUMB fumble ruling.

Whether certain fanbases want to admit it or not, there is a tier of clubs that "get the calls" in the NFL. I think it is pretty easy to name them - Cowboys, Patriots, Steelers, Packers. Whether it is unconscious from reputation or whatever the cause it is destroying the integrity of the sport. And for those who claim it can't be stopped I direct you to Michael Irvin.

Irvin was utterly infamous for several years for constantly pushing off and never being flagged for it. Finally enough teams complained in a united front that the league had to instruct the officials to specifically watch Irvin for OPI. And suddenly his production went down as he started drawing the flags he deserved. The same thing has to happen here - the "have nots" need to band together and make it utterly clear to the league that either the officiating becomes even handed or they will make the issue VERY public and let the league take the damage. That is probably the only way to stop the nonsense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 03:16 PM)Dill Wrote: I am curious as to why Bengals fans think the Refs would favor the Steelers, or be ordered to favor the Steelers, as some believe. Redskins fans were making similar claims after their loss last Monday night.

I don't think refs blatantly favor the Steelers. Or the Pats. Or the Cowboys. 

I do think that when a call is bang bang, and a judgement call is instantaneous, a ref will lean his initial call towards a certain team. Being a Bengals and an NFL fan i can say with certainty, the Brown, Lions, Bengals, etc. etc. don't get the benefit of a quick judgement call. 

The Bengals had two 'knee' plays yesterday. Knee in the end zone and knee on the Boyd tackle. On both plays the Bengals did not receive the benefit of the doubt. The calls were out of bounds and fumble. The out of bounds i'm more "ehhhhhh w/e", Marv should have challenged it. The Boyd tackle...there is no physical way possible that a ref saw that ball come out before the knee was down. Yet the instantaneous call was fumble. There is zero common sense in that call. If it's not seen, the call should be down by contact and let replay overturn it if was a fumble. 

Teams that have a winning history get the benefit of the doubt calls when it comes to catch/no catch, fumble/no fumble, touchdown/no touchdown. i chalk it up to human nature more than bias. 

Someone needs to confirm or deny this...but was there a play earlier in the game where there was some doubt about a Brown catch/fumble? I know it happened in the Redskins game and i believe it was ruled a catch and fumble on the field--no? I'm a little fuzzy if it happened in the Bengals game and can't remember what was called if it did. 

This isn't about some wacky conspiracy...they're out to get us. It's simply the way the world works. To the winner goes the spoils. And the benefit of the doubt when the play is bang bang. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 06:11 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: I'm not implying that since you cannot ever get it 100% correct that you shouldn't try to improve.

I'm just questioning how having full time refs will help with the problem. As long as there's judgement involved, no amount of extra training time will result it getting it right 100% of the time. If you want to do that, see below 
 |
 |

V

You could theoretically get it correct 100% of the time using technology, but I think that would slow the game down so much and make it so cumbersome that it would be unwatchable. 

Yes sensors would help with first down, and touchdown, and other situations. But when you're talking about other calls, like holding, PI, etc I assume the best way to apply technology would be through replay and I don't think that you want every single play being looked at for all possible missed calls. 

Imagine a run where there was a missed holding call. By the time the replay officials watched every single block for holding and determined that there was a missed one, the ball would be spotted and both teams would be in the huddle or breaking the huddle. Now you have to stop play, announce that there was a missed holding call, respot the ball, reset the clock, and let the teams huddle again. I don't want to watch that. I'll live with the imperfections over that. 

Sorry, but you just don't understand technology. Multiple refs can watch monitors, with specific responsibilities, just like they do on the field. And they can do it better because they have a better angle and they're not running around other very large fast men worried about getting run over. They can make a call just as quick by looking at a monitor as they can on the field in real time. It would not slow the game down by even one second and would help in getting calls correct, more than hurt. 

Science is a real thing. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 06:22 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: If you watch football you know the cliche that you "can call holding on every play." But I guess you think that's just on the Steelers. 

You can't call a blatant bear hug every play. 

What now? Remain blind or open your eyes?

Reply/Quote
I'm in agreement about the bad calls Sunday, but other teams got the same bad officiating Sunday. A good team will overcome such adversity! However, I blame this teams woes on the Owner and the coaches. Lewis can't get these guys on the same page it seems like. Lewis would have been fired by now if I was the Owner! Just saying. Who Dey  Who Dey  Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 03:16 PM)Dill Wrote: I am curious as to why Bengals fans think the Refs would favor the Steelers, or be ordered to favor the Steelers, as some believe. Redskins fans were making similar claims after their loss last Monday night.
The same reason Joey Porter was bitching about that play that SSF was referencing with Polamalu. He claimed the NFL loved Peyton Manning.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 09:06 PM)jason Wrote: The same reason Joey Porter was bitching about that play that SSF was referencing with Polamalu. He claimed the NFL loved Peyton Manning.

Sooooo the general consensus of Bengal fans at the time was that Porter was correct? It was a week after the Steelers/Bengals game and if I were placing a bet, I'd go with 'no.' I'd have to think that most of you probably thought that he was an idiot.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 09:34 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Sooooo the general consensus of Bengal fans at the time was that Porter was correct? It was a week after the Steelers/Bengals game and if I were placing a bet, I'd go with 'no.' I'd have to think that most of you probably thought that he was an idiot.

Oh he's definitely an idiot. But you give enough monkeys typewriters and you'll have Shakespeare eventually.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 07:06 PM)Joelist Wrote: Put the horrid officiating in this game in a basket together with the games last year and it is REALLY hard not to feel like there is some sort of "screw the Bengals" thing going on.

First they put an incompetent head official (Parry) in a game and he loses control of the game. So what do they then do? Put the same moron in charge of a playoff game where his crew AGAIN loses control and directly influences the outcome of the game with multiple BAD calls. Then add in the fiasco yesterday where the "new" crew misses multiple textbook holds, rules a TD out of bounds and caps it off by making a DUMB fumble ruling.

Whether certain fanbases want to admit it or not, there is a tier of clubs that "get the calls" in the NFL. I think it is pretty easy to name them - Cowboys, Patriots, Steelers, Packers. Whether it is unconscious from reputation or whatever the cause it is destroying the integrity of the sport. And for those who claim it can't be stopped I direct you to Michael Irvin.

Irvin was utterly infamous for several years for constantly pushing off and never being flagged for it. Finally enough teams complained in a united front that the league had to instruct the officials to specifically watch Irvin for OPI. And suddenly his production went down as he started drawing the flags he deserved. The same thing has to happen here - the "have nots" need to band together and make it utterly clear to the league that either the officiating becomes even handed or they will make the issue VERY public and let the league take the damage. That is probably the only way to stop the nonsense.
Do you honestly think that the Steelers never have questionable calls go against them? LOL

Do you know how many times Roethlisberger takes illegal shots and blows to the head and doesn't get a call?

Look no further than Sunday when Carlos Dunlap speared Ben in the chest and there was no call.
https://youtu.be/_h7wR-aQR78?t=1719

And before you claim that was clean, then why was Courtney Upshaw flagged for the same hit two years ago?
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000396179/article/roethlisberger-still-hurting-after-upshaws-takedown

Haloti Ngata breaks Bens nose...no call
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yodC2DAMp74

And then there's this
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/20833737/was-steelers-qb-ben-roethlisbergers-fumble-really-tuck-rule):

And then there's the Granddaddy of them all 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO8-MpXgjsw
Notice this is the same Pete Morelli from this past Sunday, so there go your cute little photoshops of Morelli in black and gold stripes

Seriously, you are delusional if you think that the refs "have it out" for the Bengals. 
Bad calls happen for sure. But they happen to everyone, you just notice your team more than any other. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 09:34 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Sooooo the general consensus of Bengal fans at the time was that Porter was correct? It was a week after the Steelers/Bengals game and if I were placing a bet, I'd go with 'no.' I'd have to think that most of you probably thought that he was an idiot.

If he's breathing, he's an idiot.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 09:55 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Oh he's definitely an idiot. But you give enough monkeys typewriters and you'll have Shakespeare eventually.
For some reason this made me laugh
Hilarious

(09-19-2016, 09:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If he's breathing, he's an idiot.
And this didn't

No rep for you. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 09:56 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Look no further than Sunday when Carlos Dunlap speared Ben in the chest and there was no call.

I believe the go to excuse used when a Steeler does that is 'he was pushed into him'. So I'm gonna go with that.
Unhallowed, be thy name
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 10:01 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I believe the go to excuse used when a Steeler does that is 'he was pushed into him'. So I'm gonna go with that.

I know that you're being sarcastic, but sadly there are a number of your compadres that WILL use this excuse.

Book it. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 09:58 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: For some reason this made me laugh
Hilarious

And this didn't

No rep for you. 

I don't want your smelly steeler rep.  Cool

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 10:07 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: I know that you're being sarcastic, but sadly there are a number of your compadres that WILL use this excuse.

Book it. 

Good on the first part. Agree on the second.

Truth be told I never saw that play (must've been pissing or something) but yeah, that should've been flagged. But the Steelers got away with one later when Dalton lost his helmet and got drove down (his own fault for not buckling his helmet, but the defender definitely planted him illegally).
Unhallowed, be thy name
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 09:56 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Do you honestly think that the Steelers never have questionable calls go against them? LOL

Do you know how many times Roethlisberger takes illegal shots and blows to the head and doesn't get a call?

Look no further than Sunday when Carlos Dunlap speared Ben in the chest and there was no call.

And before you claim that was clean, then why was Courtney Upshaw flagged for the same hit two years ago?
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000396179/article/roethlisberger-still-hurting-after-upshaws-takedown

Haloti Ngata breaks Bens nose...no call
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yodC2DAMp74

And then there's this
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/20833737/was-steelers-qb-ben-roethlisbergers-fumble-really-tuck-rule):

And then there's the Granddaddy of them all 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO8-MpXgjsw
Notice this is the same Pete Morelli from this past Sunday, so there go your cute little photoshops of Morelli in black and gold stripes

Seriously, you are delusional if you think that the refs "have it out" for the Bengals. 
Bad calls happen for sure. But they happen to everyone, you just notice your team more than any other. 

LOL!!!!

You're actually going back to THE REPLACEMENT REFS to get your examples?

And the best you can do for Sunday was one potential "spear" (let's just forget that the definition of a spear requires a launch and Dunlap did not launch). It is possibly roughing the passer, that I could see. For a REAL example of spearing see Mike Mitchell launching off his feet leading with his helmet at AJ Green - only a duck by AJ prevented injury:

https://twitter.com/xmasape/status/777571471765954560/photo/1

This should have been an immediate flag for flagrant personal foul as the obvious intent (since his hands were NOT extended to try to grab the ball or anything) was spearing. 

Meanwhile there were multiple flagrant no calls favoring the Steelers, a TD wrongly ruled incomplete and a really dumb fumble call. 

Sorry, but finding four "examples" over 11 years is not proof of any kind that there is no bias. Not when other teams can point to it happening multiple times flagrantly in a single game. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 08:35 PM)junglefever67 Wrote: I'm in agreement about the bad calls Sunday, but other teams got the same bad officiating Sunday. A good team will overcome such adversity! However, I blame this teams woes on the Owner and the coaches. Lewis can't get these guys on the same page it seems like. Lewis would have been fired by now if I was the Owner! Just saying. Who Dey  Who Dey  Who Dey

This was in week 1:

https://twitter.com/3TProductions/status/775100448873275392

Listen to Aikman talk about what a great block it is while the center holds right at the point of attack where CLEARLY no official is looking...right?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 10:53 PM)Joelist Wrote: LOL!!!!

You're actually going back to THE REPLACEMENT REFS to get your examples?

And the best you can do for Sunday was one potential "spear" (let's just forget that the definition of a spear requires a launch and Dunlap did not launch). It is possibly roughing the passer, that I could see. For a REAL example of spearing see Mike Mitchell launching off his feet leading with his helmet at AJ Green - only a duck by AJ prevented injury:

https://twitter.com/xmasape/status/777571471765954560/photo/1

This should have been an immediate flag for flagrant personal foul as the obvious intent (since his hands were NOT extended to try to grab the ball or anything) was spearing. 

Meanwhile there were multiple flagrant no calls favoring the Steelers, a TD wrongly ruled incomplete and a really dumb fumble call. 

Sorry, but finding four "examples" over 11 years is not proof of any kind that there is no bias. Not when other teams can point to it happening multiple times flagrantly in a single game. 

Wtf are you talking about? Where does it say that it was the replacement refs? Please show me. I'll be waiting. Lol, this ought to be good. 

I have no interest in going back and rewatching the entire game and pin pointing every single time the Steelers didn't get a call. Especially if it's to prove to something to someone who can't even properly comprehend what they've read, and is so delusional that they think that there should be a flag thrown for "intent." Lol no wonder some of you are so angry, you actually don't understand the rules. I guess I'd be pissed too if I made up rules in my head. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 09:30 PM)treee Wrote: Yea we seriously need to petition for full time officials. It is to protect the integrity of the game.

What integrity?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote