Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Awful NFL officiating.
(09-19-2016, 08:52 AM)GMDino Wrote: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17576262/nfl-acknowledged-missed-calls-jacksonville-jaguars-week-1-loss-green-bay-packers

16 calls.

16!

How bad is it when you had to request teams limit it to ten?  They don't think that's a problem?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 08:59 AM)michaelsean Wrote: How bad is it when you had to request teams limit it to ten?  They don't think that's a problem?

Exactly!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 08:59 AM)michaelsean Wrote: How bad is it when you had to request teams limit it to ten?  They don't think that's a problem?

I'm not sure why getting to a point were refs with a tv can real-time correct calls on the field isn't the ultimate goal. 99% of the challenge would be doing it quickly than the offense needs to run the next play, and I'm not saying that it would be easy. I'm saying they should be actively pursuing ways to make it work so that they can eventually find a workable solution.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 09:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: Clearly the Bengals fans have a gripe about the fumble call at the end of this week's game.

But you folks certainly weren't the only one that were victim to the best the NFL can have (part time).

Lions had a TD taken away because the officials called what they THOUGHT happened instead of watching what really happened.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/18/12960274/eric-ebron-penalty-lions-titans-referees-lol-drive

Add in the taunting penalty on Pryor in the Ravens game.  Guys jaw at each other and get separated by officials who push them and never throw a flag but threw one there?  Please.

Matt Stafford got hit low and the refs just walked away.

The officials are awful and inconsistent from game to game and crew to crew.  Its almost not worth complaining about anymore because the league does not care.

As we've discussed before, it's definitely a league wide issue.

(09-18-2016, 10:43 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The refs had plenty of opportunity with INSTANT REPLAY to get the call right. They didn't. No excuse. We have replay for a reason.

This is what REALLY gripes my ass about all of it.  Sure, it is very hard to keep up in real time out on the field....but you have instant replay to correct any errors that happen in live play.  Bad calls used to not bother me so much, when there was no replay.  However, if you're going to stop the game, and take so damn long, GET IT ***** RIGHT the second time!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 10:53 AM)Wyche Wrote: As we've discussed before, it's definitely a league wide issue.

This is what REALLY gripes my ass about all of it.  Sure, it is very hard to keep up in real time out on the field....but you have instant replay to correct any errors that happen in live play.  Bad calls used to not bother me so much, when there was no replay.  However, if you're going to stop the game, and take so damn long, GET IT ***** RIGHT the second time!

The same thing happened to the Steelers when we played the Colts in the run up to XL.  Troy had an obvious INT that was ruled an INT on the field.  The ref then overturned it on replay.  Overturned it I said!  It happens to everyone, people only tend to notice when it happens to them though.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 04:19 AM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Bad calls happen all of the time and IMO it's mostly from judgement calls being made about something that happens in the blink of an eye. Consistency is also an issue and you're  always going to have both regardless of having full time officials or not.  

But less of the problem makes people way happier and more willing to say 'shit happens'. 
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 11:31 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The same thing happened to the Steelers when we played the Colts in the run up to XL.  Troy had an obvious INT that was ruled an INT on the field.  The ref then overturned it on replay.  Overturned it I said!  It happens to everyone, people only tend to notice when it happens to them though.

No doubt....I notice across the league, although I certainly pay more attention when my team is on the tube.  I just don't get how you blow an obvious call when you have all of those viewpoints and slow mo at your disposal to rectify the original bad call.  That's inexcusable to me.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 11:31 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The same thing happened to the Steelers when we played the Colts in the run up to XL.  Troy had an obvious INT that was ruled an INT on the field.  The ref then overturned it on replay.  Overturned it I said!  It happens to everyone, people only tend to notice when it happens to them though.

(09-19-2016, 02:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: No doubt....I notice across the league, although I certainly pay more attention when my team is on the tube.  I just don't get how you blow an obvious call when you have all of those viewpoints and slow mo at your disposal to rectify the original bad call.  That's inexcusable to me.

This is why I have a love/hate relationship with NFL RedZone.  I love seeing all the games but the sheer volume of bad calls (usually just called inconsistently from game to game) drives me nuts!

You can literally see the exact same play called differently by two (or three) different crews right in a row.  And then have the NFL come out and say two out of the three were correct!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 09:44 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Honest question....how will employing full time officials change things?

I hear this argument all of the time, but IMO it's not about time on the job. It's about asking guys to make snap decisions on actions that are taking place at lightning speed by guys who are older and under the microscope of 1,000 cameras at 10,000 angles in slow motion. 

They need to have officials that are both on the field and in the booth that are in constant communication with each other. You can work on the details to make it work. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 04:29 AM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: And there aren't vines of the Bengals doing that because.....the Steelers won. I'm sure that I could go back and match Lance vine for vine if I wanted to but what's the point? 

Like I said elsewhere, whining about holding calls is the hallmark of losers. It's what you do when your teams loses. Even Steelers fans are guilty of this. 

What i read is, you wont because you cant. You missed the point anyway.

Those werent a couple borderline holds that happen everywhere and are missed a lot.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I am curious as to why Bengals fans think the Refs would favor the Steelers, or be ordered to favor the Steelers, as some believe. Redskins fans were making similar claims after their loss last Monday night.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 03:16 PM)Dill Wrote: I am curious as to why Bengals fans think the Refs would favor the Steelers, or be ordered to favor the Steelers, as some believe. Redskins fans were making similar claims after their loss last Monday night.

Maybe because there's probably 1 million Bengals fans and 20 million Steelers fans?

I actually don't know that they favor one team, but they are grossly incompetent and inconsistent across the board.

If you read other teams' message boards, at some time during the year, they will claim that the refs are biased against them specifically. I think that's due to them being so bad in some games that you can't come up with a better explanation.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 03:25 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Maybe because there's probably 1 million Bengals fans and 20 million Steelers fans?

I actually don't know that they favor one team, but they are grossly incompetent and inconsistent across the board.
Do you think they are more inconsistent/incompetent than in previous years?  Just wondering.

I have heard fans make conspiracy claims about the Patriots as well.  I wonder who the refs will favor when the Pats and Steers play each other in Pitt this season.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 03:30 PM)Dill Wrote: Do you think they are more inconsistent/incompetent than in previous years?  Just wondering.

I have heard fans make conspiracy claims about the Patriots as well.  I wonder who the refs will favor when the Pats and Steers play each other in Pitt this season.

We just see it better now?  Look at the holding vine in JN.  That looks atrocious.  Now it may have been just as bad the other way, but that would just prove how bad they are.

If you read other teams' message boards, at some time during the year, they will claim that the refs are biased against them specifically. I think that's due to them being so bad in some games that you can't come up with a better explanation.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 10:04 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: No, I'm a realist. There's a human element involved with officiating in ALL sports. It will never be 100% perfect. 

So because we can't get it 100% right, we shouldn't try at all?

You just took humanity back millenia with that logic.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 04:51 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: So because we can't get it 100% right, we shouldn't try at all?

I said this in another thread, with the advancements in technology, they could get it right 100% of the time. It's not just the NFL, look at MLB with the ever changing strike zone between umpires. 

Sensors, and computers are advanced enough to replace the "human element" and get the call correct. The league just has to want the correct call every time and make a push forward with technology.

Of course...if history is any indicator...how long did they avoid the concussion discussion and advancements in helmet technology.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 05:42 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I said this in another thread, with the advancements in technology, they could get it right 100% of the time. It's not just the NFL, look at MLB with the ever changing strike zone between umpires. 

Sensors, and computers are advanced enough to replace the "human element" and get the call correct. The league just has to want the correct call every time and make a push forward with technology.

Of course...if history is any indicator...how long did they avoid the concussion discussion and advancements in helmet technology.

It's like any other business - you can't keep money you spend, even if they payoff is much better down the line.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 04:51 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: So because we can't get it 100% right, we shouldn't try at all?

I'm not implying that since you cannot ever get it 100% correct that you shouldn't try to improve.

I'm just questioning how having full time refs will help with the problem. As long as there's judgement involved, no amount of extra training time will result it getting it right 100% of the time. If you want to do that, see below 
 |
 |

V

(09-19-2016, 05:42 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I said this in another thread, with the advancements in technology, they could get it right 100% of the time. It's not just the NFL, look at MLB with the ever changing strike zone between umpires. 

You could theoretically get it correct 100% of the time using technology, but I think that would slow the game down so much and make it so cumbersome that it would be unwatchable. 

Yes sensors would help with first down, and touchdown, and other situations. But when you're talking about other calls, like holding, PI, etc I assume the best way to apply technology would be through replay and I don't think that you want every single play being looked at for all possible missed calls. 

Imagine a run where there was a missed holding call. By the time the replay officials watched every single block for holding and determined that there was a missed one, the ball would be spotted and both teams would be in the huddle or breaking the huddle. Now you have to stop play, announce that there was a missed holding call, respot the ball, reset the clock, and let the teams huddle again. I don't want to watch that. I'll live with the imperfections over that. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 02:14 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They need to have officials that are both on the field and in the booth that are in constant communication with each other. You can work on the details to make it work. 

I think that there is room for improvement, but again there will still be missed calls/bad calls. Also see my previous post above. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 05:10 AM)InTheJungleNow9 Wrote: No, please do.  Prove that the Bengals were equally as egregious in their holding.  Prove all us whiners wrong...

I'd hold my breath but something tells me you won't be able to produce jack shit.

If you watch football you know the cliche that you "can call holding on every play." But I guess you think that's just on the Steelers. 
Reply/Quote