Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BENGALS are on The Clock (The Choices)
(04-16-2016, 10:35 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I limited it to one per position. If i would have listed Thomas and Doctson they may have split the WR vote. Believe me it's nothing personal, as I would take K. Fuller over Jackson III, W. Fuller over Doctson, Ogbah over Dodd and of the prospects listed Whitehair would be about my 3rd choice after Billings,  Doctson

Agreed on ogbah over Dodd and k fuller over Jackson. No way I'd take will fuller over Doctson though. We have lots of really good choices that I'd be happy with, can't complain about them. Especially when two of my favorites are there in Doctson and billings. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2016, 11:57 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Agreed on ogbah over Dodd and k fuller over Jackson. No way I'd take will fuller over Doctson though. We have lots of really good choices that I'd be happy with, can't complain about them. Especially when two of my favorites are there in Doctson and billings. 

I get why folks like Doctson; he seems to be the more complete WR. If we were looking for a #1 I'd probably like him over Fuller. I just think someone like Fuller (Coleman is my #1 pick) would compliment AJ and LaFell better than someone like Doctson. WTS, I want fellow bulldog Malcolm Mitchell in the later rounds.

I would not complain about any of the choices; however if I gave my preference:

1. Billings: Man-child beast
2. Dodd: Has talent but is raw.
3. Doctson: Great possession WR
4. Kelly: Longer, athletic Center
5. Whitehair: If I knew he could transistion successfully to Center; he'd be #2
6. Lee: Reminds me of Arthur Brown that many here wanted in the 1st round a few years back.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2016, 07:18 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Drunk and didnt count. But Michael Thomas showed up more than your boy whitehair on my quick glance over.

One WR and multiple interior OL? Really? We have a glaring need. Rumor is Thomas is our #1 WR. No reason to not include him.

Homer?#!?

If we take Thomas with Billings, Doctson, Dodd, and Lee all still on the board I'll be pissed. 

The ideal situation here would be to trade down a few spots if a team is willing to trade up, but out of these choices I'd be happy with any of those 4. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2016, 09:39 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Yes.

I'd be happy with Billings, but there's something about this Dodd kid.
He reminds me of a stronger version of Jason Taylor (sans the veteran moves).
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2016, 12:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I get why folks like Doctson; he seems to be the more complete WR. If we were looking for a #1 I'd probably like him over Fuller. I just think someone like Fuller (Coleman is my #1 pick) would compliment AJ and LaFell better than someone like Doctson. WTS, I want fellow bulldog Malcolm Mitchell in the later rounds.

I would not complain about any of the choices; however if I gave my preference:

1. Billings: Man-child beast
2. Dodd: Has talent but is raw.
3. Doctson: Great possession WR
4. Kelly: Longer, athletic Center
5. Whitehair: If I knew he could transistion successfully to Center; he'd be #2
6. Lee: Reminds me of Arthur Brown that many here wanted in the 1st round a few years back.

I could get excited, and rally behind any of those on your "short list".  Any one of them would make the team instantly better.  My preference would be to continue building the defense.  I see Lee as the player that could tie things all together on the defense.  DL is deep enough to find good talent later, but true 3 down LBs are a rarity.  With his speed, tackling ability, coverage skills, and overall football IQ, I see a 10 year starter who can make solid contributions from day 1.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Doctson would be a pleasant surprise if he dropped to us. Of course the rumor is that the Bengals like Thomas the most. But i could accept a WR pick.

Just straight up though, looking at the draft in general, we should go defense. We chose two offensive lineman last year, so it is time to emphasize the other side of the ball. The last time we drafted eventual starters for the front seven with the first two picks were Dunlap and Maualuga. Still and Hunt didn't pan out. We have been plugging holes but not really finding impact players here. We need to add to the pass rush. We need an heir replacement for Peko. And we need a speedy linebacker with range that can be better than what Lamur did.

I like Jackson, but between Jones, Dre, Dennard, and Shaw, it is not as much an immediate need.
Reply/Quote
I watched some videos on Darron Lee recently and I came away dissatisfied.
vs Michigan State (2015), vs Hawaii (2015)
I'm just not feeling it. And that's not to say that there isn't mediocre tape on every other prospect, but I would prefer a few
of the other options:

1. Andrew Billings
2. Ryan Kelly
3. Kevin Dodd or Josh Doctson
5. William Jackson III
6. Cody Whitehair
7. Darron Lee
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2016, 08:17 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: A shiny new receiver would be nice but I'm all for drafting stud offensive and defensive line early. That's where the game is won.

Amen.
Reply/Quote
Doctson
Billings
Kelly
Jackson III
Whitehair
Lee
Dodd

Pretty confident in that order.
Reply/Quote
I think we have to go D-line. the reason is that we have missed on so many recent high picks used on D-line. We are falling behind at that position because we missed on Hunt, Thompson, Still, Moch, and Clarke.
Reply/Quote
Why isn't this a poll?
Reply/Quote
I am very conflicted about our first pick this year.

On the one hand, we could really use an impact DT or perhaps DE to solidify one of the major strengths on this team. Players that come to mind are Andrew Billings and Jarran Reed.

On the other hand, there are so many good defensive tackles in this draft class, it seems a waste to use our first round pick on one when we could likely get one almost as good in the second round, such as Vernon Butler, Kenny Clark or Chris Jones. We could even wait until the third round and still get a high impact player such as Javon Hargrave or Adolphus Washington.

With WR, if we have a shot at Corey Coleman, Laquon Treadwell or Josh Doctson in the first round, they are all steals, in my opinion. Each has the potential to be a solid #1 or an outstanding #2 receiver in our system.

However, the talent at WR dramatically drops after the first or maybe early second round. Michael Thomas is being billed as the next up in the second round, but he is not as athletically gifted as the top 3 and could easily fall into the category of the Limas Sweed, Dwayne Jarrett, James Hardy archetype of big, strong receivers that are incapable of separating due to lack of athleticism and speed.

Sterling Shepherd and Will Fuller are intriguing prospects who could fit in the slot, but I am not sure either could ever develop into anything more than a WR3. Boyd is just an average prospect being heightened by an average draft class and Braxton Miller is 100% potential. And we have been bitten by that in other positions very recently.

It obviously all depends on who is there for each of our picks, but I’d much rather have a Josh Doctson/Kenny Clark draft than an Andrew Billings/Tyler Boyd draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2016, 11:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why isn't this a poll?

The poll will come later today. I wanted to give folks time to explain their preference. Often times in the poll we vote and then someone brings up a point that may change or choice. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
doctson or jackson its a deep DL field in this draft so i think they look later for those.

Or trade back
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2016, 11:54 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: On the other hand, there are so many good defensive tackles in this draft class, it seems a waste to use our first round pick on one when we could likely get one almost as good in the second round,

(04-18-2016, 12:43 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: doctson or jackson its a deep DL field in this draft so i think they look later for those.

Or trade back

Agree with this point regarding DTs, but not so much DEs.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2016, 01:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Agree with this point regarding DTs, but not so much DEs.

Agreed. DE isn't as deep. If there is a DE that the Bengals covet, I wouldn't mind the selection, although I think they probably give Hunt one last chance before drafting a DE in the first round. That is, unless there is a surprising fall for a player like Buckner or Lawson.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2016, 08:46 PM)Okeana Wrote: Look we need Wide receivers I get that, but how much do you invest into a guy who is going to be a 4th receiving option or maybe 5th option this year ?  We have talent at CB that can play and backup.   We have two good starting Defensive ends who work well in our system and guys developing behind them, but the need is definitely there.  Center/guard is a position of need.

All of that said Billings is just a total standout to me.  His size/height/power gives him a rare leverage and teamed with atkins could be a total nightmare for quarterbacks.  He plays well against the run and the potential is to much to pass on.  Rankins/Butler/Billings are my top 3 Dt's and I would love to see us draft any of them.  I think we can find receivers in 2-5 that will come in and play well for us just like Jones/Sanu did.

Some of the things that stood out to me when watching Billings on tape is his ability to change directions, his hands when fighting blocks, and his speed.  In one clip I saw him run down a ball carrier from behind on the sideline.  Thats the kinda effort I want to see.

Man, Billings would compliment Geno so frickin well. Billings reminds me of Geno, sure Geno is a better
pass rusher but Geno is the best pass rushing DT in the NFL. Billings is just amazing like you said at fighting
off blocks and has speed to run down a ball carrier from behind like Geno.

He makes OL look like rag dolls at times just like Geno.

Be a very happy night come next Friday if we draft Andrew Billings DT Baylor
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 05:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Man, Billings would compliment Geno so frickin well. Billings reminds me of Geno, sure Geno is a better
pass rusher but Geno is the best pass rushing DT in the NFL. Billings is just amazing like you said at fighting
off blocks and has speed to run down a ball carrier from behind like Geno.

He makes OL look like rag dolls at times just like Geno.

Be a very happy night come next Friday if we draft Andrew Billings DT Baylor

I would too, but if he's there for the Redskins I don't see how they pass on him. He is a prototypical NT, and they need one badly. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 05:59 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: I would too, but if he's there for the Redskins I don't see how they pass on him. He is a prototypical NT, and they need one badly. 

True, but the Redskins have lots of needs, it is possible that Billings falls to us.

Would be extremely happy with the pick.
Reply/Quote
Out of these guys Billings. To win the SB ,gotta get to the QB and stop the run.  With tight coverage ,so 2nd pick out of these would be Jackson.

I hope we wait on getting a WR and go D early. 

If your going to win the SB ,you'll have to beat probably 3 elite QBs.  To beat 3 elite QBs in a row ,your team has to get to the QB consistently and have tight coverage consistently.  

So to win it all the D line needs to be ridiculous. Whoever the Bengals think can do that is who I want. Billings,Rankins,Butler,etc.....

Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson or whoever can't take over and win a game ,if they're to busy getting their arse kicked.

Who Dey
Reply/Quote