Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BJ Hill Re-signing with Bengals
We probably have been scouting 3Ts to draft to keep the rotation in place - like a DeMarvin Leal who we can take in Rd 2 likely.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 12:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nope. Ogunjobi is pretty bad against the run. Hill is a much better all around player.

Hmm.  Let's ignore for a moment the far more impressive statistical career Larry has had with only one more year in the league.

Rookie year aside, Hill has never played more than 47% of his teams defensive snaps despite never missing a game.

Rookie year aside, Larry has never had less than 63% of his teams defensive snaps despite missing one game in each of two separate seasons.

Were Hill the better all around player, I think the coaching staffs of the two clubs he has played for would have been keeping him on the field considerably more than a maximum of 47% of the time.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:56 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Hmm.  Let's ignore for a moment the far more impressive statistical career Larry has had with only one more year in the league.

Rookie year aside, Hill has never played more than 47% of his teams defensive snaps despite never missing a game.

Rookie year aside, Larry has never had less than 63% of his teams defensive snaps despite missing one game in each of two separate seasons.

Were Hill the better all around player, I think the coaching staffs of the two clubs he has played for would have been keeping him on the field considerably more than a maximum of 47% of the time.

It’s almost like things can change…

Especially with players that are still fairly young (Hill is only 26). Last season - BJ Hill was the better all around player. The numbers back that up (see the deep dive Athletic article by Paul Dehner Jr if you want proof).

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 10:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s almost like things can change…

Especially with players that are still fairly young (Hill is only 26). Last season - BJ Hill was the better all around player. The numbers back that up (see the deep dive Athletic article by Paul Dehner Jr if you want proof).

No doubt. It is a what have you done for me lately league. Lately BJ has been the better run stopper by a large margin than Larry.

And he can rush the passer and can improve in this aspect.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 03:26 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote:

Yay!!! Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 11:26 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: From Paul Dehner’s piece on The Athletic:

There’s quite a bit to digest, most of it revolving around how similar the two performed, specifically as pass rushers the two were close to identical in every category. I want to focus on the differences.

The major one is outlined in bold. Ogunjobi’s missed tackles are a big deal when looking for a differentiator between similar players. He finished fifth on the team in total missed tackles and worst in missed tackle percentage among defenders with at least 20 total tackles. That’s a major flaw especially when put up against Hill who was the opposite in that category.

Ogunjobi struggled with tackling his final year in Cleveland, as well, missing 14 percent of tackles, via Pro Football Focus. So, when looking at the significant discrepancy in PFF grade between the two, it almost entirely boils down to those 11 missed tackles by Ogunjobi. Awareness and inability to finish plays where he splashes into the backfield are just part of his profile at this point.

Ogunjobi had 13 missed tackles to Hills’s 2 (22.4% to 3.6%), and a lower stop % (8.50% to 9.20%).

Ogunjobi had 8 more missed tackles than Hill (9 to 1) in 17 games, but the line about "inability to finish plays where he (Larry) splashes into the backfield" sounds kind of silly.  Larry had twice as many tackles for loss as Hill (12 to 6) and also more sacks (7 to 5.5) so he obviously "finished" a lot more plays in the backfield than Hill.

Looks like another case of someone getting too carried away with PFF ratings.

I am not bashing Hill.  I am glad we signed him.  But I just agree with the NFL professionals who think Ogunjobi was the better player.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 05:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ogunjobi had 8 more missed tackles than Hill (9 to 1) in 17 games, but the line about "inability to finish plays where he (Larry) splashes into the backfield" sounds kind of silly.  Larry had twice as many tackles for loss as Hill (12 to 6) and also more sacks (7 to 5.5) so he obviously "finished" a lot more plays in the backfield than Hill.

Looks like another case of someone getting too carried away with PFF ratings.

I am not bashing Hill.  I am glad we signed him.  But I just agree with the NFL professionals who think Ogunjobi was the better player.

Another thing to consider is that even when LO missed a tackle in the backfield he most likely disrupted resulting in a potential negative outcome...

Reply/Quote
We'll miss Larry O no doubt, but there is the foot issue, they never really said what kind of break it was. Hopefully he's 100% and has a great season in Chicago, but that may have played into not bringing him back.
Reply/Quote

Pratt is a pretty funny guy. I keep seeing him messing with BJ Hill online, and it kind of caught me off guard at first, but then I saw someone point out they played together at NC State. I love how close this locker room is.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 10:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Pratt is a pretty funny guy. I keep seeing him messing with BJ Hill online, and it kind of caught me off guard at first, but then I saw someone point out they played together at NC State. I love how close this locker room is.

I wonder if Pratt is trying to help cover the loss of Uzo being the funny comedian?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:26 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I wonder if Pratt is trying to help cover the loss of Uzo being the funny comedian?

He was making little jokes at Hill’s expense all season. I think they’re just good friends, and have the type of relationship where they like to mess with each other.

Chase is supposedly a big jokester, too from what I’ve heard.

Reply/Quote
Hill and Reader completely shut down the run games in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 12:57 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Hill and Reader completely shut down the run games in the playoffs.

And Hubbard. All 3 guys are great against the run.

Reply/Quote

They were roomates
Reply/Quote

Hilarious

Yes, I also forgot they played together at NC State. I wanted both of them before we drafted them, pretty cool.

(03-17-2022, 12:57 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Hill and Reader completely shut down the run games in the playoffs.

No doubt and the Superbowl, shut down the Rams and Brian Allen one of the best run blocking Centers in the NFL.

(03-17-2022, 01:32 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And Hubbard. All 3 guys are great against the run.

Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Big relief.Happy

Was getting a little concerned after Larry getting all that from da Bears. Great news.

Give me Hill over Larry O every day of the week, and twice on Sunday... 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:13 PM)Tony Wrote: Give me Hill over Larry O every day of the week, and twice on Sunday... 

Same here Tony. We got the better DT for a much better deal IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 04:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Assuming Hopkins is the C and Karras the G, right?

I could see Hopkins getting cut.. I think Karras will be the starting center in 2022...
Reply/Quote