Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BJ Hill Re-signing with Bengals
(03-14-2022, 03:49 PM)Au165 Wrote: That's not what that means, $15 million is what he gets paid in year 1 which includes signing bonus. So it could be $10 million signing bonus plus $5 millions salary. His Cap hit would be 8.3 million in that scenario. 

I guess I interpreted based on what the cap hits are going to be, but yes we'll have to see the structure.
I had always thought the guaranteed money wasn't all paid upfront since it's spread across the contract typically.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Love it. Now we can likely grab a CB in the 1st (or maybe RT).

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I guess I interpreted based on what the cap hits are going to be, but yes we'll have to see the structure.
I had always thought the guaranteed money wasn't all paid upfront since it's spread across the contract typically.

Yea, in most cases year 1 is lowest because the signing bonus gets paid year 1 and prorated out so they lower salary year one to smooth out actual cash to player. My guess is all these deals next year is lower than the the AVG per.
Reply/Quote
AWESOME

One more FA OL. Please!
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Good! A bit more than I anticipated but a good deal, and, personally I liked him much better than Larry. More of a complete package DL.l, and the more I thought about it the more firm I was on the BJ>Larry camp. Still, thank you Larry, can’t keep everybody. But gotta keep the DL as a strength.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Love it. Now we can likely grab a CB in the 1st (or maybe RT).

It's definitely trending toward that.

Starting IOL seems nearly solidified.
Starting DT and S solidified now.

Just TE, CB, and RT to worry about now.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I love it! Seems like just about everything is falling into place for the Bengals. It's a great time to be a Bengal fan! Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Gross overpay for a guy who is a backup that hasn't played more than 47% of the snaps since 2018 coming off a career year. They just made BJ Hill the 15th highest paid DT in the league.

He's being paid based on what he did for us. 7 sacks (counting playoffs). 70.4 PFF grade. Several big plays in the playoffs. If he keeps performing at that level, I don't think we overpaid.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I felt like our run defense improved when Larry O got injured and BJ took over for our playoff push. I'm cool with the signing.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Gross overpay for a guy who is a backup that hasn't played more than 47% of the snaps since 2018 coming off a career year. They just made BJ Hill the 15th highest paid DT in the league.

This is a hell of a lot better deal than what Chicago gave Ogunjobi. And Hill is a better all around player (Ogunjobi is weak against the run).

Reply/Quote
Thumbs Up 
Browns fans were getting excited, LOL

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:58 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: Honestly, I felt like our run defense improved when Larry O got injured and BJ took over for our playoff push. I'm cool with the signing.

Hill is MUCH better against the run, and only slightly worse as a pass rusher.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:46 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: That was a big one. Now DL doesn’t become a need this year. Honestly DB is the biggest need on defense

DL is still a need. There is zero depth behind Hill. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: $15 mill for this year seems really steep given the lack of cap space, but I'm happy to see him back.
MY GUY!

They could be front loading for cap reasons

Year 1 fifteen million dollar bonus which can spread over 3 years so 5 million towards cap hit in 2022 versus 15 million cap hit in year 1
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I want to front load as much cap as possible this year. We have a QB who we can extend/should next year. 

And a WR (Higgins) 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's definitely trending toward that.

Starting IOL seems nearly solidified.
Starting DT and S solidified now.

Just TE, CB, and RT to worry about now.

Assuming Hopkins is the C and Karras the G, right?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 04:00 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: DL is still a need. There is zero depth behind Hill. 

Depth yes, but you have to think with Ossai Hubbard will slide inside on some plays.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hill is MUCH better against the run, and only slightly worse as a pass rusher.
Just as I said. More complete all-around defensive lineman. It isn’t just sacks. Our DL, without Larry, did a great job at keeping the Rams run game in check. And BJ also had the huge play against KC where he batted and picked off a pass. Glad it’s him if we could only keep one.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
This is wonderful news. With the two OL signings and Hill coming back, it further allows the Bengals pick at #31 to be about best player available rather than reaching to fill a need.
Reply/Quote
For those that were wanting Larry O instead of Hilll check out this article. BJ outperformed LO in many categories:

https://theathletic.com/3175989/2022/03/11/defining-bengals-free-agency-decisions-part-2-b-j-hill-vs-larry-ogunjobi-and-the-nightmare-scenario/

Reply/Quote