Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BJ Hill Re-signing with Bengals
(03-14-2022, 03:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This is a hell of a lot better deal than what Chicago gave Ogunjobi. And Hill is a better all around player (Ogunjobi is weak against the run).

Yes. Ogunjobi gets kind of lazy at times too. Getting that big contract, will be interesting to see how he responds.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 04:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Assuming Hopkins is the C and Karras the G, right?

Or Karras C and Jackson LG
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 04:00 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: DL is still a need. There is zero depth behind Hill. 

Yep. May need to hunt for another Larry O style bargain or maybe the draft.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Gross overpay for a guy who is a backup that hasn't played more than 47% of the snaps since 2018 coming off a career year. They just made BJ Hill the 15th highest paid DT in the league.

Him for 30M or Larry O for 40M. Yea I’m taking Hill for 30 every single time.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe that's the reason - extending Burrow.

I guess I was just hoping the Bengals would try to add as much talent as possible for this year and next, holding off his extension until 2024.

Probly cost even more if we dont extend him after next season
Reply/Quote
Not sure why anyone would be upset with this deal. Hill played an important role on the DL for this team, and to eat the largest chunk of the cap hit in year one is great. Means after this year, he's in town for 2 years at 15 million, not really a big deal when you are trying to look forward to a contract for Burrow.

Be excited that the team is trying to keep guys around that helped make a run while addressing the reason the team couldn't make a run.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 04:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Assuming Hopkins is the C and Karras the G, right?

I'm thinking Karras is penciled in at Center, and Hopkins is cleaning out his locker..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 04:05 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Not sure why anyone would be upset with this deal. Hill played an important role on the DL for this team, and to eat the largest chunk of the cap hit in year one is great. Means after this year, he's in town for 2 years at 15 million, not really a big deal when you are trying to look forward to a contract for Burrow.

Be excited that the team is trying to keep guys around that helped make a run while addressing the reason the team couldn't make a run.

Truth, this is all most of us wanted. BJ Hill was a necessary dude to bring back IMO.

Made big plays in the biggest moments in the postseason and he is young and has a very high ceiling still.

I don't know if you can say this about Ogunjobi who isn't near as good of a run stopper and the Bears paid big time for him.
Reply/Quote
If anyone is upset with the financials on this, it’s delusional to think the could have done better with the money being thrown ariund
Reply/Quote
HELL YEA!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 04:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm thinking Karras is penciled in at Center, and Hopkins is cleaning out his locker..

I hope so, but this means we still need to bring back or replace Spain.

In addition to replacing Reiff. This could be a very different line in 2022.

Not that anyone would be upset by that. LOL
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 04:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm thinking Karras is penciled in at Center, and Hopkins is cleaning out his locker..

Same. Good luck to Hop, he could start somewhere else but we needed an upgrade in run blocking from the Center position and 
Karras does this for us. Releasing Hop makes it even better so we can add the RT we want to free up the Draft completely.
Reply/Quote
We now have that CAT interior oline

Carman
Alex
Ted
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He's being paid based on what he did for us. 7 sacks (counting playoffs). 70.4 PFF grade. Several big plays in the playoffs. If he keeps performing at that level, I don't think we overpaid.

That's a big if, Shake. He's going to be a starter now. He can't rest by playing less than half of the snaps now. Didn't we learn this lesson with Carlos Dunlap's rookie season? He only ever reached that total 1 time in the next 11 years because he had to play more snaps.

BJ Hill just feels a whole lot more like Jonathan Fanene/Wallace Gilberry. You don't massively overpay Fanene/Gilberry. You let someone else overpay them and you bring in somebody new to be the next one because you're not asking them to be the best, or even second best player on your DL. Heck, not even the third best in this case.

(03-14-2022, 03:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This is a hell of a lot better deal than what Chicago gave Ogunjobi. And Hill is a better all around player (Ogunjobi is weak against the run).

And being shot by a .22 is better than being shot by a .45, doesn't mean I should be excited to be shot.

I just don't like the idea of making a backup DT the 15th highest paid DT in the league based off a career year when surrounded by talent. Doubly so when you already have the 10th and 19th highest paid DEs and 11th highest paid DT.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 04:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Truth, this is all most of us wanted. BJ Hill was a necessary dude to bring back IMO.

Made big plays in the biggest moments in the postseason and he is young and has a very high ceiling still.

I don't know if you can say this about Ogunjobi who isn't near as good of a run stopper and the Bears paid big time for him.

People forget Larry had a significant injury that ended his season last year as well. That matters. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 04:03 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Him for 30M or Larry O for 40M. Yea I’m taking Hill for 30 every single time.

I'm taking neither. It doesn't have to be an either-or or the lesser-of-two-bad-contracts.

You already have the 10th highest paid DE, 11th highest paid DT, and 19th highest paid DE on the DL.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 04:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Or Karras C and Jackson LG

Would be more logical. We know what Hopkins is.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 04:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm taking neither. It doesn't have to be an either-or or the lesser-of-two-bad-contracts.

You already have the 10th highest paid DE, 11th highest paid DT, and 19th highest paid DE on the DL.

Normally I'd be with you. But we need a 3 and the aren't many good ones in this draft. Or in FA. And we like what we have in Hill. I like it. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 04:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm taking neither. It doesn't have to be an either-or or the lesser-of-two-bad-contracts.

You say that like it’s bad. There are only 32 teams and we don’t have the highest paid anything. We are bound to have to pay somebody high. You can’t skimp on every position or you get an O-line like last year or a D-line like the year before. You want the 17 sack D-line or the 42 sack D-line?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 04:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's a big if, Shake. He's going to be a starter now. He can't rest by playing less than half of the snaps now. Didn't we learn this lesson with Carlos Dunlap's rookie season? He only ever reached that total 1 time in the next 11 years because he had to play more snaps.

BJ Hill just feels a whole lot more like Jonathan Fanene/Wallace Gilberry. You don't massively overpay Fanene/Gilberry. You let someone else overpay them and you bring in somebody new to be the next one because you're not asking them to be the best, or even second best player on your DL. Heck, not even the third best in this case.

I get it. It's a risk. But it's also a risk to let both of your awesome DT tandem (Larry O and BJ Hill) walk with no apparent replacements.

Hill played great in the playoffs as the starter without Larry O rotating with him, and I'm sure we'll plug someone else in to keep him fresh this year.
Reply/Quote