Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
BREAKING: Burfict suspension reduced
(08-31-2017, 01:12 PM)grampahol Wrote: It's a complete different rule book for the big market teams vs small market teams.
If I were VB I would most certainly hire someone to go through every bit of tape this season to compile every single non-call against similar plays and players and I'd bet my right nut and 3/4 of my left nut that the lions share go against small market team players while big market team players are continuously allowed to get away with the very same plays all season and pay particular attention to the Squeelers and their brand of dirty play then put it ALL online for everyone to see, forget sending it just to Goodel. We already know he's biased and said evidence would be buried and never see the light of day . In fact the Bengals as an organization should do it and use their significant resources to bring it all to the forefront and ask the public to chime in. Send the evidence to every single media outlet available. Do you want true competition where no team or player favored over others in the rules or do you want blatant favoritism so only the big market teams are permitted to play for the championship? I suspect most fans of the game would want true competition instead of what we currently have and I suspect there are enough media outlets that would drool over getting such evidence to broadcast to the public.  
Of course there are always going to be people who will never believe anything about the league is fixed , but those would be the outliers.. 
If enough people knew what really goes on NFL revenue would drop like a stone.   
Lance Mcallister posted the video of the Bengals/Steelers game last year when Pittsburgh held on every play  and the NFL took it down. It wont do any good.

The NFL can't hide the bias anymore because they have HD cameras everywhere showing every angle of the field so they just choose to ignore it. When they get called out they just shrug their shoulders. Its kind of like getting caught in a lie with your wife and just saying "Thats my story" when you know she is right.
Reply/Quote
Bengalhoel here's what you do then. Go ahead and post it AND make it downloadable with the words, "Please download this before the league forces it to be taken down and please repost in as many places as possible.." 
It's not AS IF the viewing public is going to respect NFL rules about broadcast rights .. I see why McCalister had to. He might lose his press credentials, but you and I have no such credentials to worry about. The league might file suit against me, but the most they would ever get out of me is a nice, hefty legal bill. They can't get my social security or my woodworking shop.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What Vontaze is going to have to do is keep everything between the whistles. There can't be even one single instance of extracurricular activity - PERIOD ! Cause guys let's face it the twisting of ankles, the stepping on guys after a tackle, etc. That's what really brought the heat on. If he does any of that again he's gonna get zero mercy.

If he can play with his nose totally clean the decleaters will be a little easier to swallow and he'll have a case. Right now every time an opposing players head jerks a bit during a tackle the refs are reaching for the laundry on him. They just snap right to dirty hit because they're not taking into account the objects in motion (the head) tend to stay in motion until they get hit by a cement truck part. VB hits and other LB hits aren't created equal.

Listen to Mike Golic here:

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/27903/will-vontaze-burficts-suspension-woes-affect-his-future-with-bengals
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 01:55 PM)jowczarski Wrote: About to head to Indy so this is all I could get to as a reply. Thanks for reading/sharing all!

@phil413 – re: repeat offender/shouldn’t be an issue.
Well, it is until you’re off the repeat offender list. A suspension doesn’t clear you – time does. I heard it takes a full season (16 games) without incident, to get off that list and start from scratch. He had not played a full 16 games since the Brown suspension.

@CKwi88 – Re: unnecessary hit
I think it was, too. I may not think it violated the letter of the law re: defenseless, but it wasn’t necessary.

@EatonFan – re: Shazier hit on Gio
It was a legal hit per the NFL rules that year. They changed that rule the following offseason, so it is no longer legal.

1. So if Burfict can play 16 games without incident, his discipline level is reset? Interesting. Seems like a tall task with how much scrutiny he's receiving though.

2. Obviously whether or not it was "necessary" shouldn't factor into any discipline. He either broke a rule or he didn't.

3. It was never legal to spear a player in the face with your helmet. Maybe in the 70's, but certainly not any time recently. They let Shazier off on some obscure technicality (he didn't "line up" the hit) which was obviously open to interpretation, but the rules on spearing and helmet to helmet seem(ed) pretty clear to me. Don't do it. Whether or not Gio was a runner or if Shazier lined him up shouldn't have mattered, and tbh there's way too much grey area there.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Over the last 5 years, the Steelers, Browns and Ravens have all had way more players suspended, and many more games missed due to suspension than the Bengals.

Yet our fans continue to spew the fake news that the league is biased against the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
I call it pure horseshit and league politics.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 01:07 PM)McC Wrote: I love the idea.  Unfortunately, the NFL being a Communist state means no member of the Politburo will ever rock the boat.

I don't think its that. I think it's Browns personality. He's not the kind of guy who's going to ever do something that drastic. It doesn't help that the Bengals are his only source of income, too.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 03:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 3. It was never legal to spear a player in the face with your helmet. Maybe in the 70's, but certainly not any time recently. They let Shazier off on some obscure technicality (he didn't "line up" the hit) which was obviously open to interpretation, but the rules on spearing and helmet to helmet seem(ed) pretty clear to me. Don't do it. Whether or not Gio was a runner or if Shazier lined him up shouldn't have mattered, and tbh there's way too much grey area there.

couldn't agree more, and if Burfict did what Shazier did in the playoff game he would still be suspended. Remember when Hebert got hit an illegal hit by Steelers Garvin and was only issued a fine? But that didn't justify more? 

No consistency...
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 03:30 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Over the last 5 years, the Steelers, Browns and Ravens have all had way more players suspended, and many more games missed due to suspension than the Bengals.

Yet our fans continue to spew the fake news that the league is biased against the Bengals.

I'm not really sure, but I don't think anyone gives a damn about what you think.  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 03:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 2. Obviously whether or not it was "necessary" shouldn't factor into any discipline. He either broke a rule or he didn't.

Agreed. Not to mention it's clear he thought the QB was throwing a pass to the FB. Is he supposed to wait until he catches or drops it before then cuddling him to the ground?
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 02:04 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Lance Mcallister posted the video of the Bengals/Steelers game last year when Pittsburgh held on every play  and the NFL took it down. It wont do any good.

The NFL can't hide the bias anymore because they have HD cameras everywhere showing every angle of the field so they just choose to ignore it. When they get called out they just shrug their shoulders. Its kind of like getting caught in a lie with your wife and just saying "Thats my story" when you know she is right.

Oh man I remember that game, and it was so unbelievably flagrant. Conspiracies aside, it is really hard to think the league officials are that incompetent. 

As far as the suspension, sorry I haven't seen the hit, but it sounds like some whiney dbag just trying to troll Burfict... unfortunately,  this is a direct result of him twisting ankles and what not. Although I still don't think the hit on brown was illegal, but that's like, just my opinion...

Please explain to me how a fullback could ever be considered defenseless?????  
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 03:30 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Over the last 5 years, the Steelers, Browns and Ravens have all had way more players suspended, and many more games missed due to suspension than the Bengals. 

Link?
Reply/Quote
The league would help itself better if it wasn't so broad in its language at the start. They called this an illegal hit and now they are kind of emphasizing that it was unnecessary.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 03:53 PM)GodFather Wrote: couldn't agree more, and if Burfict did what Shazier did in the playoff game he would still be suspended. Remember when Hebert got hit an illegal hit by Steelers Garvin and was only issued a fine? But that didn't justify more? 

No consistency...

I think you meant Huber. You had me thinking of former Saints and Falcons QB Bobby Hebert.  Smirk

The counter argument from the league would be that Garvin didn't have history. They should punish by team, not by player. The Steelers take full advantage of that. One time it's Garvin. The next it's Mike Mitchell. Then it's Tomlin or Munchak. Then it's Pouncey or that other guy that played center (the one that had as many UR penalties as Burfict in 2015 but didn't get suspended). 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The league has two issues with tier rules, and yes one is overbroad language. The other one is wildly inconsistent application of the rules. And yes the Shazier flagrant spearing was a good example, where the league spun like a top and no one except Steeler fans bought their nonsense about "lining up". And you can trace all the issue in officiating in that game right back to the non-call on that hit as (just like he did in the regular season) John Parry lost control of the game and let one side get away with murder while being vigilant on the other side.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 04:08 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Link?

http://www.businessinsider.com/dallas-cowboys-players-nfl-suspensions-2017-7
Reply/Quote

I have never said this to anyone before 

:troll:
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 11:53 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: From wiki...

This man is responisble for this quote:

That's rich. I'm now waiting for James Harrison and Hines Ward (neither were ever suspended despite multiple dirty hits) to chime in.

About as rich as Ramon Foster repeatedly tearing into Burfict for his play. Whatever

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 06:04 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: About as rich as Ramon Foster repeatedly tearing into Burfict for his play. Whatever

Two years ago, Burfict just got back on the field after his knee surgery, I believe it was Foster, on a screen to Williams tried to take Burfict's knees out from the side but completely whiffed on it. Of course that was the game, innocently Burfict tackled Bell and Bell tore his ACL. I just remember that because nobody in the booth was crying foul or how dirty that was diving at Burfict's knee.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 05:54 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: http://www.businessinsider.com/dallas-cowboys-players-nfl-suspensions-2017-7

Thanks. 

According to your link, the Steelers had 5 suspensions and the Ravens 9. The Bengals weren't on the list, but even if it were 0 (which it isn't), that's still not "way more" suspensions. Games lost to suspension, you can say the Ravnes had a lot more (assuming the Bengals had 28 or less); Steelers we don't know without knowing the Bengals number.

And that's assuming those numbers are valid.
Reply/Quote