Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
BREAKING: Burfict suspension reduced
Maybe he should just retire. Or maybe the Bengals should trade him. As it stands now, every move he makes on the field will be scrutinized. He'll never make it through another contract as a Bengal.

This is all so Steeler related. The Steelers can't stop him legitimately so this is their chosen route. Last year, their method was having DeCastro diving at his knees the entire game. This is now their method. And they will win out on this, having the Commish in their pocket like they do.

When I think of all the awful, rotten scumbags the Steelers have had over the years and how they've been allowed to go play as they see fit. Mike Mitchell should be in jail for his head hunting assaults and he rarely ever even draws a penalty.

Who will be the first Steeler to bust Eifert's head this year and walk away unscathed and unpenalized?

Who wants to bet no other player gets called for this the whole year?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 11:57 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: [Image: 388a15826ab5c294f013abf1344628093c3bd2a1...1343a4.jpg]

Frank and beans! This is a classic...Believe it was something about Mary, right?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 12:25 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Frank and beans! This is a classic...Believe it was something about Mary, right?

Loved that move. There's something about Mary. So funny, we've got a bleeder... or the hitchhiker jail scene, and of course...Is that hair gel. Funny movie.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 12:21 PM)McC Wrote: Maybe he should just retire.  Or maybe the Bengals should trade him.  As it stands now, every move he makes on the field will be scrutinized.  He'll never make it through another contract as a Bengal.

This is all so Steeler related.  The Steelers can't stop him legitimately so this is their chosen route.  Last year, their method was having DeCastro diving at his knees the entire game.  This is now their method.  And they will win out on this, having the Commish in their pocket like they do.

When I think of all the awful, rotten scumbags the Steelers have had over the years and how they've been allowed to go play as they see fit.  Mike Mitchell should be in jail for his head hunting assaults and he rarely ever even draws a penalty.

Who will be the first Steeler to bust Eifert's head this year and walk away unscathed and unpenalized?

This is my thoughts on the matter. 

This is why I longer spell their name their way.  I spell it my way, steAlers.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 12:44 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: This is my thoughts on the matter. 

If I were the Bengals organization, I would have a few guys designated to watch every game and watch for similar hits and send them to Goddell every week and wait for a response.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 12:21 PM)McC Wrote: Maybe he should just retire.  Or maybe the Bengals should trade him.  As it stands now, every move he makes on the field will be scrutinized.  He'll never make it through another contract as a Bengal.

This is all so Steeler related.  The Steelers can't stop him legitimately so this is their chosen route.  Last year, their method was having DeCastro diving at his knees the entire game.  This is now their method.  And they will win out on this, having the Commish in their pocket like they do.

When I think of all the awful, rotten scumbags the Steelers have had over the years and how they've been allowed to go play as they see fit.  Mike Mitchell should be in jail for his head hunting assaults and he rarely ever even draws a penalty.

Exactly. The pack of pu$$ies that is the Steelers cannot handle having someone in the division that will hit them back. Typical bully syndrome, it's only fun sucker punching others until you get smacked back. Then go and play the victim  Whatever I'll say it again. The steelers are a bunch of pathetic, hypocritical PU$$IES! 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 12:52 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: If I were the Bengals organization, I would have a few guys designated to watch every game and watch for similar hits and send them to Goddell every week and wait for a response.

Yes, I agree. that would be a good idea.   
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 10:52 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The defense needs to refuse to take the field in the finally pre-season game against Indy. Just sit on the bench and don't even go out there, when asked why it happened, "we are afraid to tackle anyone. If a legal hit gets you a 3 game ban, we're not sure what we can do unless they put flags on the offensive players."

This. AND Burfict should still suit up and play in the first 3 games with the Bengals full support. I would love to see the inevitable showdown between Brown and Goodell if this happened.

In addition, I think Burfict should bring a lawsuit against the NFL. I think cases could be made for discrimination, unfair targeting of rules enforcement, the fact they are punishing for breaking the rules when it's not even clear that he broke the rules here and anything else he can make stick.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 12:52 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: If I were the Bengals organization, I would have a few guys designated to watch every game and watch for similar hits and send them to Goddell every week and wait for a response.

Not only to Goodell, but call a press conference and publicly show everyone and update the list each week with the ones that were or weren't punished.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 01:02 PM)PhilHos Wrote: This. AND Burfict should still suit up and play in the first 3 games with the Bengals full support. I would love to see the inevitable showdown between Brown and Goodell if this happened.

In addition, I think Burfict should bring a lawsuit against the NFL. I think cases could be made for discrimination, unfair targeting of rules enforcement, the fact they are punishing for breaking the rules when it's not even clear that he broke the rules here and anything else he can make stick.

I love the idea.  Unfortunately, the NFL being a Communist state means no member of the Politburo will ever rock the boat.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote

(08-31-2017, 12:44 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: This is my thoughts on the matter. 

Remember playing wiffle ball or kick ball or whatever out in the backyard or alley as a kid ? And there was always that kid that wanted to make up the rules as you went, to his good of course. And eventually you were just like to hell with it I'm going home.

That's the way I feel watching the NFL now days ! And not just because they're taking the slobber knockers out of it. It's because there's just so many rules and they're so arbitrarily enforced. There's way to many rules that are so open to interpretation ! And I don't care how anybody tries to defend it. The same rules don't apply to the same teams/players equally.

Every season it gets a little harder to watch the NFL.  
Reply/Quote
It's a complete different rule book for the big market teams vs small market teams.
If I were VB I would most certainly hire someone to go through every bit of tape this season to compile every single non-call against similar plays and players and I'd bet my right nut and 3/4 of my left nut that the lions share go against small market team players while big market team players are continuously allowed to get away with the very same plays all season and pay particular attention to the Squeelers and their brand of dirty play then put it ALL online for everyone to see, forget sending it just to Goodel. We already know he's biased and said evidence would be buried and never see the light of day . In fact the Bengals as an organization should do it and use their significant resources to bring it all to the forefront and ask the public to chime in. Send the evidence to every single media outlet available. Do you want true competition where no team or player favored over others in the rules or do you want blatant favoritism so only the big market teams are permitted to play for the championship? I suspect most fans of the game would want true competition instead of what we currently have and I suspect there are enough media outlets that would drool over getting such evidence to broadcast to the public.  
Of course there are always going to be people who will never believe anything about the league is fixed , but those would be the outliers.. 
If enough people knew what really goes on NFL revenue would drop like a stone.   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 01:10 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Remember playing wiffle ball or kick ball or whatever out in the backyard or alley as a kid ? And there was always that kid that wanted to make up the rules as you went, to his good of course. And eventually you were just like to hell with I'm going home.

That's the way I feel watching the NFL now days ! And not just because they're taking the slobber knockers out of it. It's because there's just so many rules and they're so arbitrarily enforced. There's way to many rules that are so open to interpretation ! And I don't care how anybody tries to defend it. The same rules don't apply to the same teams/players equally.

Every season it gets a little harder to watch the NFL.  

This is so true.  Almost seems like they're written that way so they can be interpreted as they see fit, depending on the situation.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 01:02 PM)PhilHos Wrote: This. AND Burfict should still suit up and play in the first 3 games with the Bengals full support. I would love to see the inevitable showdown between Brown and Goodell if this happened.

They're kinda standing in the way of his right to work.

Reply/Quote
The problem with VB bringing a suit against the league is his reputation can and will be used against him. It really needs to be the team as a whole shining a big spotlight on the blatant favoritism. I have no doubt that there will be more than enough film over the course of this season to force an indictment against the league at least in public opinion and advertisers.. Trying to defend VB alone is a no-win scenario because of his reputation and repeated suspensions. It has to be league wide and brought by all the small market teams that feel that the league is picking winners and losers. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Why the NFL reduced his suspension at all is beyond me. Either he was intentionally trying to hurt Sherman, or he wasn't.

Either he deserves the 5 game suspension or he doesn't. There is no in-between.

It's the NFL's way of saying they made a mistake and thinking they're saving their credibility and authority at the same time.

It's too bad they just couldn't correct their mistake so we could all just move on without suspicion.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 01:34 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Why the NFL reduced his suspension at all is beyond me.  Either he was intentionally trying to hurt Sherman, or he wasn't.

Either he deserves the 5 game suspension or he doesn't.  There is no in-between.

It's the NFL's way of saying they made a mistake and thinking they're saving their credibility and authority at the same time.

It's too bad they just couldn't correct their mistake so we could all just move on without suspicion.

They like to do stuff like that and think of it as a win-win...but I agree that either it needed punished or it didn't.

Reducing it seems to indicate that they didn't feel it was severe but wanted to make an example out of him.
Reply/Quote
Guys, I hate this BS as much as next guy, but not taking the field or Burfict taking the field is non-sense. This isn't a case were MB can take his ball and go home. The NFL owns that ball.
We'll suck it up and take the 3 game suspension, better than 5, and play football.
I do like the idea of someone watching every game and sending hits from every game, deemed illegal by the NFL's definition to their front office and see what they do with them. Then you MIGHT have a case in court....
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 01:41 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Guys, I hate this BS as much as next guy, but not taking the field or Burfict taking the field is non-sense. This isn't a case were MB can take his ball and go home. The NFL owns that ball.
We'll suck it up and take the 3 game suspension, better than 5, and play football.
I do like the idea of someone watching every game and sending hits from every game, deemed illegal by the NFL's definition to their front office and see what they do with them. Then you MIGHT have a case in court....

Burfict had the same things happen in college football. IF they did try to take legal action...there is no way they'd win. There is too much of a history from Burfict.
Reply/Quote
About to head to Indy so this is all I could get to as a reply. Thanks for reading/sharing all!

@phil413 – re: repeat offender/shouldn’t be an issue.
Well, it is until you’re off the repeat offender list. A suspension doesn’t clear you – time does. I heard it takes a full season (16 games) without incident, to get off that list and start from scratch. He had not played a full 16 games since the Brown suspension.

@CKwi88 – Re: unnecessary hit
I think it was, too. I may not think it violated the letter of the law re: defenseless, but it wasn’t necessary.

@Luvnit2 – Re: old hits i.e. Keith Rivers i.e. Kevin Huber
The game has changed since then. It’s literally impossible to reference past plays. Even hits from 2016 are now illegal.

@NatiBengals – re: only LB suspended
GREAT question. Supposedly these new rules re: Defenseless is supposed to result in a suspension.

@Nebuchadnezzar – re: tackle
Technically, not a tackle. The ball did not come to that player nor did he possess it.

@EatonFan – re: Shazier hit on Gio
It was a legal hit per the NFL rules that year. They changed that rule the following offseason, so it is no longer legal.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote