Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BREAKING: Eifert to have ankle surgery
(05-24-2016, 09:17 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: Must have been a mini camp or something then.  But it was Chad being a dick on purpose, as he was prone to do.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3438994

Johnson timed his ankle ailment to coincide with the start of minicamp while he was demanding a trade in 2008.  First, he didn't report any problems to the medical staff during his physical and was cleared to practice.  Next he reported his back hurt to the training staff. He then refused to practice.  Johnson's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, serendipitously showed up at the same time and reported Johnson needed ankle surgery.  His story changed 3 times in the course of a single day.  Johnson knew he needed ankle surgery at the end of the 2007 season, but waited until minicamp so he wouldn't have to participate.  Plus a surgery would dampen any interest teams would have in seeking a trade for him.  So better to pull an Antonio Bryant and just not reveal the injury. 
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 01:17 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: The biggest issue about this for me is "The Pro-Bowl." Clearly something that needs to be eliminated. Especially, if that is where this injury occurred as was reported. It's a game that almost no one cares about and has cost some players their career's aka Robert Edwards.

Imo, they should just do like they do in college football. You name them (All Americans in college) Pro Bowlers and give them a bonus for it. There's a reason that many of the big name guys in the NFL mysteriously come down with injuries and avoid these meaningless and worthless games.

It was one thing when it came with a free trip to Hawaii, but now it's just a worthless business risk to teams and their multi-million dollar investments.

Screw the PB! It should be done away with.

When you make the Pro Bowl as the 17th alternate it loses the prestige it once carried.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 12:13 AM)jowczarski Wrote: The real question...why wait until June? … without a doubt a huge blunder. It took these guys 4 months to finally decide this was a problem and needed surgery.

As WeezyBengal  posted “said the ankle wasn't responding the way that they wanted it to. Seems like they were trying to avoid surgery.” I’m sure he was resting and rehabbing and getting physical therapy and, on the eve of full squad workouts, it was determined it wasn’t ready for football. So, after 3 months and with 3 months to go, time to get it corrected.

Then the next thing you know he's on the PUP list to start the season. If the latter happens, we could be in serious trouble to start the season.

This is the fear after all surgeries/procedures. It seems like there is no worry for that but it is a surgery.

… 3 month recovery doesn't sound like "minimal" surgery procedure. … Anyone know who this guy is? James Rapien linked to him and he says Eifert is just getting it cleaned out and will be fine.

Will Caroll’s whole job is basically to report about injuries, and he’s plugged in. Three months may be conservative (and it may also include anticipated football clearance) but why not be at the outset? And any sort of surgery to a weight-bearing part of the body will require some time to recover. Can’t imagine any kind of foot / ankle procedure would take less time when you’re talking about a professional athlete trying to get back to the field and being able to run/cut/jump/plant/push off to block, etc.

I believe Hobson reported the injury as a sprain initially.  He probably reported what he was told.  Just like he was told Rich Braham's tibial plateau fracture was a "bone bruise."  However, the Bengals flat out lie to the media and fans about injuries.  That creates unrealistic expectations among the fans.  When a "sprain" which really isn't a sprain doesn't heal consistent with how a sprain should then we get threads like this.

You yourself reported Dennard separated his shoulder and tore his labrum and rotator cuff in the process, but the mechanism of injury for a labrum and rotator cuff tear is a shoulder dislocation of the glenohumeral joint not a separation of the acrimoclavicular joint.  A dislocation happens with a fall on an outstretched arm, like laying out to catch a pass or break one up.  A dislocation separation (even I effed it up in my explanation) happens when you lower your shoulder to hit someone or you fall with all your weight directly on the shoulder.  I'll bet a case of beer of your choice he didn't separate his shoulder, but rather dislocated it to suffer the underlying injuries you describe.  If the Bengals told you he had a separated shoulder I don't believe them.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Breaking-down-the-Bengals-cap-situation?pid=187276#pid187276

Any idea what Eifert's real injury is?
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 06:55 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Any idea what Eifert's real injury is?

From what I read on another site, Eifert is having surgery to "correct a loose ligament" in his ankle.

My guess is that when he sprained the ankle, the ligament stretched and never "un-stretched". 

So we're not talking about re-breaking an ankle due to a broken bone that didn't properly. 

From yet another site (the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society) ...

What is the goal of lateral ankle ligament reconstruction (ALR)?

The goal of this surgery is to restore normal stability to the ankle. This should also fix a patient’s feeling that the ankle “gives way” and any pain that is associated with an unstable ankle.

What signs indicate surgery may be needed?
Surgery is considered when you have an unstable ankle that does not respond to nonsurgical treatment. Six months of nonsurgical treatment is often recommended before surgery. A physical examination will show that the ankle is unstable, and X-rays are sometimes used to help with the diagnosis.

What happens after surgery?

You can expect to be in a splint or cast for a minimum of two weeks. It may be up to six weeks before weight can be placed on the ankle. Weight bearing is gradually advanced in a removable walking boot. An athletic ankle brace is typically used after the boot.
Ankle strengthening begins after six weeks as pain and swelling allow. This may involve formal physical therapy. Straight-line running is allowed when the ankle is strong enough for it. Sport-specific exercises can then start gradually. The total expected recovery time is between six and 12 months.

So, given the above (from the American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society), I would expect Eifert to start the season on PUP.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 08:45 PM)PV Bengal Wrote: From what I read on another site, Eifert is having surgery to "correct a loose ligament" in his ankle.

My guess is that when he sprained the ankle, the ligament stretched and never "un-stretched". 

So we're not talking about re-breaking an ankle due to a broken bone that didn't properly. 

From yet another site (the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society) ...

What is the goal of lateral ankle ligament reconstruction (ALR)?

The goal of this surgery is to restore normal stability to the ankle. This should also fix a patient’s feeling that the ankle “gives way” and any pain that is associated with an unstable ankle.

What signs indicate surgery may be needed?
Surgery is considered when you have an unstable ankle that does not respond to nonsurgical treatment. Six months of nonsurgical treatment is often recommended before surgery. A physical examination will show that the ankle is unstable, and X-rays are sometimes used to help with the diagnosis.

What happens after surgery?

You can expect to be in a splint or cast for a minimum of two weeks. It may be up to six weeks before weight can be placed on the ankle. Weight bearing is gradually advanced in a removable walking boot. An athletic ankle brace is typically used after the boot.
Ankle strengthening begins after six weeks as pain and swelling allow. This may involve formal physical therapy. Straight-line running is allowed when the ankle is strong enough for it. Sport-specific exercises can then start gradually. The total expected recovery time is between six and 12 months.

So, given the above (from the American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society), I would expect Eifert to start the season on PUP.

Stop posting this crap. I'm edging closer and closer to the edge of the cliff as it is.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 06:55 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I believe Hobson reported the injury as a sprain initially.  He probably reported what he was told.  Just like he was told Rich Braham's tibial plateau fracture was a "bone bruise."  However, the Bengals flat out lie to the media and fans about injuries.  That creates unrealistic expectations among the fans.  When a "sprain" which really isn't a sprain doesn't heal consistent with how a sprain should then we get threads like this.

You yourself reported Dennard separated his shoulder and tore his labrum and rotator cuff in the process, but the mechanism of injury for a labrum and rotator cuff tear is a shoulder dislocation of the glenohumeral joint not a separation of the acrimoclavicular joint.  A dislocation happens with a fall on an outstretched arm, like laying out to catch a pass or break one up.  A dislocation happens when you lower your shoulder to hit someone or you fall with all your weight directly on the shoulder.  I'll bet a case of beer of your choice he didn't separate his shoulder, but rather dislocated it to suffer the underlying injuries you describe.  If the Bengals told you he had a separated shoulder I don't believe them.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Breaking-down-the-Bengals-cap-situation?pid=187276#pid187276

Any idea what Eifert's real injury is?

The Bengals came out and said to one and all that Dalton may be available for a divisional playoff game last year, but I'm fairly certain that this wasn't true at all. That would have been just 5 weeks to heal and get the hand back in shape for throwing and that's not very likely. Maybe, just maybe he would have been ready for a SB.

Reply/Quote
We don't beat Pitt without nor do we beat Denver. We're an AJ Green headhunting injusry (it will happen) away from having an inservicable offense.

I'm already ready to write this season off. Shit man.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 10:29 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: We don't beat Pitt without nor do we beat Denver. We're an AJ Green headhunting injusry (it will happen) away from having an inservicable offense.

My god.  Pessimistic much?  You think 1 player has this much of an impact on our whole season?  Really?  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 10:29 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: We don't beat Pitt without nor do we beat Denver. We're an AJ Green headhunting injusry (it will happen) away from having an inservicable offense.

Calm down. The Bengals went 10-5-1 in 2014 with the following problems:

- No Tyler Eifert at all
- No Marvin Jones at all
- No Michael Johnson at all
- Burfict missed 11 games
- Atkins was a shell of himself (3 sacks)
- Maualuga missed 4 games
- AJ Green missed 4 games

Dalton turned in some really good games that year while playing with a receiver group that was headlined by Sanu, Gresh and Greg Little for pete's sake. Knock on wood, but 2016 can't possibly be as bad as 2014, and this team STILL got it done with Hill/Bernard, some timely good games from Dalton, and the defense bent (22nd in yards) but didn't completely break (12th in points allowed).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
In his first 3 seasons, Eifert has missed 19 regular season games. And guess what? We made the playoffs all 3 years. He might miss some of the regular season, but I see no need to panic.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 11:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Calm down. The Bengals went 10-5-1 in 2014 with the following problems:

- No Tyler Eifert at all
- No Marvin Jones at all
- No Michael Johnson at all
- Burfict missed 11 games
- Atkins was a shell of himself (3 sacks)
- Maualuga missed 4 games
- AJ Green missed 4 games

Dalton turned in some really good games that year while playing with a receiver group that was headlined by Sanu, Gresh and Greg Little for pete's sake. Knock on wood, but 2016 can't possibly be as bad as 2014, and this team STILL got it done with Hill/Bernard, some timely good games from Dalton, and the defense bent (22nd in yards) but didn't completely break (12th in points allowed).

We also played the NFC South that year.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 11:25 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: We also played the NFC South that year.

It really doesn't matter. We've dominated the entire NFC during Marv's tenure.

We hung 37 on a pretty good Carolina defense with pretty much everyone out.

Besides, that's just 4 games. Explain the rest.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 11:25 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: We also played the NFC South that year.

Well then just write this season off dude.  Whatever floats your boat. 

From what I've read here, Eifert will be back most of the season, and I think we're looking at a good year.  
Reply/Quote
oncemoreuntothejimbreech - we may one day know exactly what happened. In my story about Dennard's issues, he's the one who told me what happened. Now, he's the athlete. Could it have been a dislocation? Sure. But he said separation. So that's what I reported.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/02/03/cincinnati-bengals-darqueze-dennard-shoulder-injury/79767130/

That goes into what Hobson wrote initially about a "sprain." I'm sure that was the original diagnosis - a sprained ankle he rolled and stretched the ligaments. Clearly the team and Eifert felt that, while a severe sprain, it would heal. It has not.

As far as teams in general lying about injuries -- they'd rather just not talk about them. And the Bengals at least try to avoid putting a timeline out there because that's always speculative. Nothing changed from my initial report of a three month recovery to Schefter's "multiple game" scenario. Yes, he could miss multiple games. But, they anticipate him being back working out after three months. So that's probably the front and back end of the window they're looking at. No one said officially Andy "would" be back at any point. They only didn't rule him out. There's a difference. Splitting hairs? Truth by omission?

Honestly it's not worth speculating on what a "loose ligament" is, where it is, what procedures are available. We'll try to find out more, but we can only go with what we're told by the people we trust.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
He will be fine it's a minor surgery. People need to get off the ledge.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 12:45 AM)jowczarski Wrote: oncemoreuntothejimbreech - we may one day know exactly what happened. In my story about Dennard's issues, he's the one who told me what happened. Now, he's the athlete. Could it have been a dislocation? Sure. But he said separation. So that's what I reported.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/02/03/cincinnati-bengals-darqueze-dennard-shoulder-injury/79767130/

That goes into what Hobson wrote initially about a "sprain." I'm sure that was the original diagnosis - a sprained ankle he rolled and stretched the ligaments. Clearly the team and Eifert felt that, while a severe sprain, it would heal. It has not.

As far as teams in general lying about injuries -- they'd rather just not talk about them. And the Bengals at least try to avoid putting a timeline out there because that's always speculative. Nothing changed from my initial report of a three month recovery to Schefter's "multiple game" scenario. Yes, he could miss multiple games. But, they anticipate him being back working out after three months. So that's probably the front and back end of the window they're looking at. No one said officially Andy "would" be back at any point. They only didn't rule him out. There's a difference. Splitting hairs? Truth by omission?

Honestly it's not worth speculating on what a "loose ligament" is, where it is, what procedures are available. We'll try to find out more, but we can only go with what we're told by the people we trust.

When people hear "ankle sprain" most think of a grade I or II which most heal in 2-4 or 4-6 weeks, respectively.  A grade III ankle sprain involves a complete ligament rupture.  The ligament has been torn completely from bone. (An ACL tear is a complete ligament rupture in the knee, for comparison.)  Most of them heal without surgery, but not always.  Depending on how aggressive the orthopedist is and the wishes of the patient, they may elect to do surgery right away.  Because if conservative treatment fails, they will get surgery but have delayed their return.  There is a significant difference between the treatment and recovery between a grade I and grade III ankle sprain because there is a significant difference in the severity of the injury.  However, if he suffered a grade III ankle sprain and the Bengals reported he tore a ligament in his ankle, instead of a ankle sprain, the media and fans would have a better understanding and more realistic expectations.

You weren't here when Carson Palmer injured his elbow, but that was a lie by omission.  There have been other injuries which Hobson initially reported as sprains which were later revealed to be fractures after the player returned.  There is a pattern.  Pay attention long enough and you'll see it.

PS As a reporter, you could ask Dennard if the shoulder was separated or dislocated or ask him to look at his medical chart.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 12:59 AM)J24 Wrote: He will be fine it's a minor surgery. People need to get off the ledge.

The thing about minor surgery is it is always minor when it involves someone else.
Reply/Quote
Next man up! I have a feeling Dash Crofts is going to take off!

Just kidding...this sucks and I'm somewhat worried.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 02:59 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: PS As a reporter, you could ask Dennard if the shoulder was separated or dislocated or ask him to look at his medical chart.

I'm sure he appreciates the advise.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 05:12 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: A lot has been written about how many talented players we have, and how difficult it will be to get them snaps. Yet, have one player that might miss a couple of games and many act as if that player was the one our entire offense is centered around. We have Kroft, Hewitt, and three others to provide enough quality snaps at TE. Nothing to panic about, especially if you look at who we have at other skill positions. 

This isn't about a missing player to me. It's about how coaching will use what we have. And we have a lot from which to choose.

(05-25-2016, 05:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Right on. Losing Eifert for a couple games wouldn't exactly be a good thing, but this team isn't about 1-2 players any more. We still have a couple solid RBs and a top 10 QB who can still throw at guys like AJ Green, LaFell, Gio, Boyd (2nd round pick) and Kroft (3rd round pick).

Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem like people are all that excited about Boyd or Kroft and I'm not sure why. Both look like fine prospects and it's not like they were some late round nobodies. If Eifert is out for a couple games, I'll actually look forward to seeing Kroft on the field. He looked capable when Eifert went down last year.

Either way, we have plenty of targets and this is still a team that's stacked with talent on both sides.

Thanks guys, made me feel better.

Plus i think even if our Offense is stagnant which i don't think it will be our Defense can carry us especially with the
additions of Dansby, maybe Freeney and the rest of the guys. Sure Burfict will be out the first 3 games but i think
with Geno, Dunlap, Dansby, Adam, George and company we will be fine on Defense.

Plus, who is going to cover Green, Lafell, Boyd, Kroft, Gio and company? Plus Dalton is looking like he is coming into
his own with his accuracy and ability to call plays.

Still could be a great Offense.
Reply/Quote