Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BREAKING: Eifert to have ankle surgery
Foot/ankle/leg injuries are the worst, even if he's cleared the chances of re injury are extremely high. Especially when you are talking about a guy who gets hurt a lot. Even if he doesn't flat out re injure it it's going to be in his head because like Jim said:

"Can’t imagine any kind of foot / ankle procedure would take less time when you’re talking about a professional athlete trying to get back to the field and being able to run/cut/jump/plant/push off to block, etc."

It messes with his whole balance unlike the elbow injury.

I'm preparing myself for a lot of Tyler Kroft.

Reply/Quote
The biggest issue about this for me is "The Pro-Bowl." Clearly something that needs to be eliminated. Especially, if that is where this injury occurred as was reported. It's a game that almost no one cares about and has cost some players their career's aka Robert Edwards.

Imo, they should just do like they do in college football. You name them (All Americans in college) Pro Bowlers and give them a bonus for it. There's a reason that many of the big name guys in the NFL mysteriously come down with injuries and avoid these meaningless and worthless games.

It was one thing when it came with a free trip to Hawaii, but now it's just a worthless business risk to teams and their multi-million dollar investments.

Screw the PB! It should be done away with.
Reply/Quote
I'm not worried at all. Wait, is that the same Eifert that was like super good last year? Uh oh.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 01:43 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not worried at all.  Wait, is that the same Eifert that was like super good last year?  Uh oh.

Yeah, he was top 10 TE last year. (around 7th give or take)
Reply/Quote
Some say the Pro Bowl is worthless. But it's worse than that.

Name the team, and let it go at that.

I've read all the differing opinions about the timeliness of the surgery and tried to consider the different points of view. But I just can't, for the life of me, understand why we haven't been all over this, and why we are only reacting now. I realize there has probably been a lot more going on than we would know about, but an extra month here would have made a big difference for one of our truly outstanding players.
Reply/Quote
Tyler should consider changing his number. I never liked seeing it so soon anyways. Maybe Chad paid a voodoo priest or something..afterall he really did like his number. Why take chances, change it.

Reply/Quote
Eifert could miss regular season start
Quote:Bengals Pro Bowl tight end Tyler Eifert is probably wishing he had never been a Pro Bowler right now.

Eifert suffered an ankle injury in the Pro Bowl that was slow to heal and will now require surgery, which he is scheduled to undergo today. According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Eifert could miss the first couple of games of the regular season.

That’s a big blow to the Bengals, and it may be a big blow to the Pro Bowl. Players are already increasingly declining invitations to play in the game. In seven months, you can bet that many NFL players will be thinking about Eifert when they consider whether it’s really worth it to accept the “honor” of playing in a meaningless exhibition game.

Eifert has already missed 19 games in his three-year career. Last year Eifert played in 13 games and caught 52 passes for 615 yards, with 13 touchdowns.

Will we ever see Eifert survive a whole season as a starter?
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 08:55 PM)Butchie Tiger Wrote: Holy ***** Hell......when is Eifert not injured !!!!!!!

Apparently he wasn't the 4 months in between the Pro Bowl and now. Ninja
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 11:13 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Eifert could miss regular season start

Will we ever see Eifert survive a whole season as a starter?

I'd like to get to the point Eifert can take a hit or tumble to the ground and not cringe and hold my breath in fear he's hurt. It just might not be meant though. I'm just annoyed they are calling a 3-4 moth recovery a minimal surgery (that is a broken bone which shouldn't have taken 4 months to figure out was broken). You clearly can't trust them when it comes to what is wrong with him.

Not sure how we ended up with a worse injury situation that Jacksonville (Ramsey), here I was feeling sorry for their luck.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 12:13 AM)jowczarski Wrote: The real question...why wait until June? … without a doubt a huge blunder. It took these guys 4 months to finally decide this was a problem and needed surgery.

As WeezyBengal  posted “said the ankle wasn't responding the way that they wanted it to. Seems like they were trying to avoid surgery.” I’m sure he was resting and rehabbing and getting physical therapy and, on the eve of full squad workouts, it was determined it wasn’t ready for football. So, after 3 months and with 3 months to go, time to get it corrected.

Then the next thing you know he's on the PUP list to start the season. If the latter happens, we could be in serious trouble to start the season.

This is the fear after all surgeries/procedures. It seems like there is no worry for that but it is a surgery.

… 3 month recovery doesn't sound like "minimal" surgery procedure. … Anyone know who this guy is? James Rapien linked to him and he says Eifert is just getting it cleaned out and will be fine.

Will Caroll’s whole job is basically to report about injuries, and he’s plugged in. Three months may be conservative (and it may also include anticipated football clearance) but why not be at the outset? And any sort of surgery to a weight-bearing part of the body will require some time to recover. Can’t imagine any kind of foot / ankle procedure would take less time when you’re talking about a professional athlete trying to get back to the field and being able to run/cut/jump/plant/push off to block, etc.

Thanks for the insight Jim.

Even if it is bad news. Time for Kroft, Hewitt and Uzomah to show up. Sounds like Eifert will miss the opener at the very least.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 11:48 AM)jj22 Wrote: I'd like to get to the point Eifert can take a hit or tumble to the ground and not cringe and hold my breath in fear he's hurt. It just might not be meant though. I'm just annoyed they are calling a 3-4 moth recovery a minimal surgery (that is a broken bone which shouldn't have taken 4 months to figure out was broken). You clearly can't trust them when it comes to what is wrong with him.

Not sure how we ended up with a worse injury situation that Jacksonville (Ramsey), here I was feeling sorry for their luck.

Our situation with Eifert is no worse than Jacksonville's situation with their tight end.

Julius Thomas has missed 32 games in 5 years, has missed multiple games each season and missed 4 games (more than Eifert) last year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I think we can get by with Kroft, Uzi, and Hewitt if Eifert has to miss regular season games.

Ligament stuff scares me. I just hope Eifert gets back to what he was.

Was Kroft supposedly our #1 rated TE in the draft last year. Usually takes TEs awhile to come around. Hopefully he makes a jump in year 2.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 01:14 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I think we can get by with Kroft, Uzi, and Hewitt if Eifert has to miss regular season games.

Ligament stuff scares me. I just hope Eifert gets back to what he was.

Was Kroft supposedly our #1 rated TE in the draft last year. Usually takes TEs awhile to come around. Hopefully he makes a jump in year 2.

I would like for us to bring in Owen Daniels for insurance though.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 01:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Our situation with Eifert is no worse than Jacksonville's situation with their tight end.

Julius Thomas has missed 32 games in 5 years, has missed multiple games each season and missed 4 games (more than Eifert) last year.

I think JT is overpaid and overrated. I'd say our need for Eifert is higher than their need of JT.

New report has it being a loose ankle ligament.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc/status/735464118472183808

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Looks like Tyler goes under today. Hopefully everything turns out ok for the young man.

Rapport tweeted that worst case scenario is him missing the first four games.....
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 01:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would like for us to bring in Owen Daniels for insurance though.

opportunity for that dude on the PS to make the squad for a few weeks if they don't opt for daniels.
Reply/Quote
At least he doesn't pitch for the Reds..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 03:31 PM)treee Wrote: Seeing a lot of overreactions in this thread.

A lot has been written about how many talented players we have, and how difficult it will be to get them snaps. Yet, have one player that might miss a couple of games and many act as if that player was the one our entire offense is centered around. We have Kroft, Hewitt, and three others to provide enough quality snaps at TE. Nothing to panic about, especially if you look at who we have at other skill positions. 

This isn't about a missing player to me. It's about how coaching will use what we have. And we have a lot from which to choose.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 05:12 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: A lot has been written about how many talented players we have, and how difficult it will be to get them snaps. Yet, have one player that might miss a couple of games and many act as if that player was the one our entire offense is centered around. We have Kroft, Hewitt, and three others to provide enough quality snaps at TE. Nothing to panic about, especially if you look at who we have at other skill positions. 

This isn't about a missing player to me. It's about how coaching will use what we have. And we have a lot from which to choose.

Right on. Losing Eifert for a couple games wouldn't exactly be a good thing, but this team isn't about 1-2 players any more. We still have a couple solid RBs and a top 10 QB who can still throw at guys like AJ Green, LaFell, Gio, Boyd (2nd round pick) and Kroft (3rd round pick).

Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem like people are all that excited about Boyd or Kroft and I'm not sure why. Both look like fine prospects and it's not like they were some late round nobodies. If Eifert is out for a couple games, I'll actually look forward to seeing Kroft on the field. He looked capable when Eifert went down last year.

Either way, we have plenty of targets and this is still a team that's stacked with talent on both sides.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 05:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Right on. Losing Eifert for a couple games wouldn't exactly be a good thing, but this team isn't about 1-2 players any more. We still have a couple solid RBs and a top 10 QB who can still throw at guys like AJ Green, LaFell, Gio, Boyd (2nd round pick) and Kroft (3rd round pick).

Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem like people are all that excited about Boyd or Kroft and I'm not sure why. Both look like fine prospects and it's not like they were some late round nobodies. If Eifert is out for a couple games, I'll actually look forward to seeing Kroft on the field. He looked capable when Eifert went down last year.

Either way, we have plenty of targets and this is still a team that's stacked with talent on both sides.

I don't think it has anything to do with Boyd or Kroft. More to do with past injuries like Marvin Jones getting injured early in training camp with an ankle injury and was suppose to be ready in 4 weeks, which was around the start of the season and he ended up missing the entire year. Then there's Eifert's injury history.

Have I overreacted to it? Probably.

Reply/Quote