Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BREAKING: Marvin will officially be back
(12-29-2016, 05:58 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I specifically said 'start to finish', which you seem to have ignored. By my calculations, being down 15-0 in after 3 quarters - with an offense that had been putrid to that point, is not being competitive for 4 quarters.

Your calculations are wrong.    Being down by 15 is still competitive.  Just ask the Steelers.  I did not notice them pulling their best players out of the gamne or anything like that.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 06:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Your calculations are wrong.    Being down by 15 is still competitive.  Just ask the Steelers.  I did not notice them pulling their best players out of the gamne or anything like that.

Not being out of the game at the end of the 3rd quarter, as far as the score, does not equate to having been competitive -in terms of production by the offense - up to that point. 
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 05:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We had the Steelers beat.  We did not win, but no way you can say that we were "not competative" when it took a miracle for the Steelers to pull pout the victory.

I am as hungry as any other fan for a postseason victory, but In also canb see a little perspective.

Since Marvin started his 0-7 playoff streak there are 4 teams in the NFL that have never even made the playoffs.  There are 4 others who have never won a playoff game, and 5 more who have only won one. Less than half of the league (14 teams) have been to the playoffs more than the Bengals.  

And even thought the Jags have won a playoff game since '05 they also only have two winning seasons and have not won more than 5 games in the last 7 years.  So would you really trade just one playoff win since '05 for 10 non-winning seasons?

It is possible for me to not be satisfied with no playoff wins, but also see that we are not an embarrassment or a joke.  And I certainly do not think the bengals have achieved all of this without even wanting to win.  That is just ridiculous. 

How many of those teams have kept the same coach despite those failures? While Lewis is on the cusp of a 3rd reset. 

You defended Bratkowski ad nauseum while he was here until even you admitted his offense was predictable after he was finally fired. You're doing the same thing with Lewis and Alexander. 

If Lewis wasn't hampered by Mike Brown's stubbornness, I believe he could have had more success. As it is, he has peaked. 
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 05:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We had the Steelers beat.  We did not win, but no way you can say that we were "not competative" when it took a miracle for the Steelers to pull pout the victory.

I am as hungry as any other fan for a postseason victory, but In also canb see a little perspective.

Since Marvin started his 0-7 playoff streak there are 4 teams in the NFL that have never even made the playoffs.  There are 4 others who have never won a playoff game, and 5 more who have only won one. Less than half of the league (14 teams) have been to the playoffs more than the Bengals.  

And even thought the Jags have won a playoff game since '05 they also only have two winning seasons and have not won more than 5 games in the last 7 years.  So would you really trade just one playoff win since '05 for 10 non-winning seasons?

It is possible for me to not be satisfied with no playoff wins, but also see that we are not an embarrassment or a joke.  And I certainly do not think the bengals have achieved all of this without even wanting to win.  That is just ridiculous. 

You've gone full Dennis Green. You never go full Dennis Green. 

dennistoast or fredgreen?

AND WE LET'EM OFF THE HOOK!  (Pounds podium for emphasis.)
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 04:44 PM)Benton Wrote: The problem is, every playoff game we have injuries. So does the opponent. It's just part of the NFL. You're beat up, they're beat up.

That's the difference maker. Teams that can coach around the weakness of a missing player, or teams that have benches developed and ready to go. We haven't had that under Marvin. From first rounders who sit on the depth chart until they're forced into action and look lost, to guys we draft/sign and never see.

Bill Belicheck will go down as one of the greatest NFL coaches. Why? Because he finds ways to win when his team isn't at its best. Starters suspended or injured? He plays the backup and wins. Doesn't have a running game? No problem, he modifies the passing game to control the clock. Receivers can't catch? No big deal, he just deflates the balls... er, well, nevermind that one.

On the flipside, Marvin losses his TE and drops to 6th in red zone scoring to 21st. He just doesn't have a plan for things when what he wants/expects doesn't work out.

Couldn't agree more !

I'm sick and tired of the excuses, like you say every team has injuries every year. The good coaches over come that, they have to.

And the fumble excuse ? Please.......... I doubt there's ever been a team overcome a fumble in the playoffs  Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Horiffic.
Reply/Quote

Marvin has played Pittsburgh 30 times and lost 22 of them. That alone should be enough to get him canned. They are definitely celebrating this stooooopid decision in Pittsburgh.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 05:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wrong.  Look at the Patriots/Browns game this year.

Whaddy mean Fred? That was a major blowout.

Are you going to say that the Pats didn't keep their foot on the pedal last week against the Jets too?
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 06:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Nothing will change this off season.

The last two years the bengals have spent over the league salary cap.  They might do that again, but it will not be to bring in a big ticket free agent.  Instead it will be re-signing some of our own players and bringing in a few mid level players from other teams.

Guenthar's contract is up as DC.  I am pretty sure Marvin will want him back, but that will at least provide some intrigue for a while.

Guenther said he's under contract for next season. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 08:57 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Guenther said he's under contract for next season. 

I am actually happy with this, i like how the Defense came around later in the season excluding the last Steeler
game. But our Offense didn't help them out any. The guys that need to be replaced the most in my opinion are
Alexander, Zampese and Hayes on Offense and maybe Haslett on Defense.

I think Coyle and Burney might improve under Guenther but the Linebackers seemed lost a lot this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 03:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I almost always agree with you SHRacer but we also got outcoached in every game.

Terrible adjustments. We were leading that Chargers game at halftime 10-7 and did nothing on Offense the 2nd half
and were terrible on Defense the 2nd half. Similar to this last Steeler game but that was even worse, 20-6 in the first
half, lose 24-20. This is mostly on the coaches as this has happened under Marv numerous times.

I believe Marv would of been fired anywhere else if these games happened often anywhere else.

I know what you are saying, Nate, but I look at the talent assembled and I can't help but think teaching them all a brand new scheme would not improve our chances.  Look at how long it has taken the likes of Iloka, Williams, Dre, etc to be at least solid contributors.  On offense, I think the impact could be more positive as I see Zamp as a real hindrance in terms of his schemes and use of our personnel.  

One major way to impact this team right now is a new OC.  
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 05:06 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: After 14 years and 7 postseason appearances, this is basically what we're left with - a myriad of excuses as to why they couldn't win a single playoff game. 

We can't discuss that one playoff game that they did win. We can't even discuss a playoff game where they looked competitive from start to finish, even in a loss. 

Instead, we're continuously hoping that next season could be 'the year' it finally happens. At what point do the actual results matter more than the if's and but's?

I just responded to Nate on the same subject....I just think a whole new staff, new scheme, etc. would likely have a lot more mistakes in the learning process because they finally have some players understanding the current situation.  

I just wish this team had more attack and less "fall back".  The defense seems to have remembered how they get after people, but the offense looks very conservative and weak.  

I think the best way to impact this team is with a new OC.  
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 11:20 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I currently am building a man cave. Looks like I need to insert a medicine cabinet in my construction plans to hold all the Zoloft, Prozac and Pepto Bismol needed for Bengal games.

Dude, you just need a liquor cabinet. In my case, I don't need a whole cabinet. Just a bottle of Crown. 
Reply/Quote

Miracle? It looked almost exactly like the other ones. You have a team beat, then you beat yourself. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 10:09 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know what you are saying, Nate, but I look at the talent assembled and I can't help but think teaching them all a brand new scheme would not improve our chances.  Look at how long it has taken the likes of Iloka, Williams, Dre, etc to be at least solid contributors.  On offense, I think the impact could be more positive as I see Zamp as a real hindrance in terms of his schemes and use of our personnel.  

One major way to impact this team right now is a new OC.  

They make tweeks and changes every single year. And it's not like these guys haven't been playing football their entire lives. Getting a grasp of schemes shouldn't be as hard for them as me and you. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
When you have a coach who does get you to the playoffs this many years in a row you have to acknowledge that's a good accomplishment. HOWEVER when you have a coach who has not won a single playoff game in 14 years that is very alarming and clearly it's time for change. I thought the Rams are dumber than us (well in reality they are they extended a losing coach) but at least they finally got it and fired their coach. I just can't even grasp how we have had a coach for this long and nothing to show for it yet people keep defending why we should keep him or why Mike Brown keeps extending him. Who is the other coach that's been coaching the same team for as long as Marvin? and when you compare accolades there's no comparison. Broncos got it with John Fox it was time to move forward and they risked it for the biscuits and they got hot out the oven biscuits.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2016, 12:04 PM)Clappington Wrote: When you have a coach who does get you to the playoffs this many years in a row you have to acknowledge that's a good accomplishment.  HOWEVER when you have a coach who has not won a single playoff game in 14 years that is very alarming and clearly it's time for change.  I thought the Rams are dumber than us (well in reality they are they extended a losing coach) but at least they finally got it and fired their coach. I just can't even grasp how we have had a coach for this long and nothing to show for it yet people keep defending why we should keep him or why Mike Brown keeps extending him. Who is the other coach that's been coaching the same team for as long as Marvin? and when you compare accolades there's no comparison. Broncos got it with John Fox it was time to move forward and they risked it for the biscuits and they got hot out the oven biscuits.

The John Fox analogy is a perfect one.  The Bengals are close...I think Hue would have gotten them over the top.  Now, the team needs a better offensive mind than Zamp.  
Reply/Quote
Wake me up when we get a new head coach.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
To Bengal fans theres nothing breaking about this news....
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2016, 01:27 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Wake me up when we get a new head coach.

I doubt the earth will even last that long
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote