Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BREAKING: Marvin will officially be back
(12-29-2016, 12:17 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I was as frustrated as anyone with the team's performance this year.  However, Marvin had ONE year with a significant drop off after 5 consecutive playoff seasons.  Sure, there were some idiotic choices made (Ced O, Bodine, Hill) but the injury to Eifert, suspension of Burfict, and injury late to AJ Green were huge factors as well.

Marv is a lame duck heading in to 2017.  He will either turn it around and the team will be back in the playoffs (which will make me very happy) or he will be let go and new leadership will emerge (which would make me less happy, but still happy if it is someone from outside the organization).

One thing I know about Marv's history is that he typically comes back from a bad year with a good one.  The rest of the NFL is a giant "meh".  Sure, Oakland is rolling, but would anyone think Oakland would roll the Bengals with the defense all healthy?  I mean, since the bye, I think the Bengals are #1 in the NFL with roughly 15 PPG allowed.  That dog will hunt.  

The offense needs major retooling on the offensive line, needs a boost at RB (But Sexy Rexy has filled in very nicely, thank you), and a healthy Eifert/AJ for a full season.  

I know folks will say that we need more speed at LB (we do), a deep threat at WR (again, yes), and a new Center (Lord help us), but the fact is that all teams have deficiencies.  No team has a perfect roster.  No team has unbelievable depth.  This league is about staying healthy and making a few extra key plays over the opposition.  Better make that about 5 key plays for the Bengals because you just know the officiating won't be on even keel.

It was a very frustrating season to watch.  They will be back.
Back for what

Maybe make playoffs because of weaker schedule and then go out in first game

It is beyond belief that this organization has not parted ways with Marvin.

There is no chance of winning a Super Bowl with him as head coach and current staff- including Paul Alexander
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 10:38 AM)Trademark Wrote: Less than 24 hours after turning down four different chances from local beat writers to put an end to the rumors about his future, Marvin Lewis has gone on the record with his status for 2017. This morning, he told Sirius XMNFL he would in fact be back.  Yesterday, Lewis was asked four consecutive questions about rumors during his Wednesday press conference. An irritated Lewis declared he wanted to discuss the Ravens.

Read more: http://700wlw.iheart.com/onair/lance-mcalister-7818/marvin-speaks-ill-be-back-15424047/#ixzz4UEZXSrPt

I really hate this organization. I'm about done until Brown steps down

(P.S. yes I know there's a Lewis sub forum but he's officially coming back unfortunately)

Sumbitch. Whatever Thought this would happen anyway atleast for another year.

Just get rid of Alexander please? Cry
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 12:02 PM)BleedNOrange Wrote: After 15 years, can you really call Marvin coming back "breaking"?

It's our hearts breaking.   Cry Cry
Reply/Quote
I'm not frustrated, because this comes as no surprise to me. He's under contract.

Get back to me if he receives another contract extension.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I think the approach to supplanting Marvin is all wrong.

There needs to be a media blitz saying that keeping Lewis and locking him into a multi-year extension is something Katie and Mike MUST DO!!

Thar way they can do the exact opposite and fire his ass to show everyone "they know best".
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 11:20 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I currently am building a man cave. Looks like I need to insert a medicine cabinet in my construction plans to hold all the Zoloft, Prozac and Pepto Bismol needed for Bengal games.

And you call Marvin a piss poor planner?

How in the hell can you credibly build a Bengals man cave and not have that in the works?!?

In fact... shouldn't it be in the nucleus of your fan domicile?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 02:02 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Back for what

Maybe make playoffs because of weaker schedule and then go out in first game

It is beyond belief that this organization has not parted ways with Marvin.

There is no chance of winning a Super Bowl with him as head coach and current staff- including Paul Alexander

This is completely speculation.  Last year they were playing better football than anyone in the league before Dalton's injury.  The season completely re-starts come the postseason.  The team that wins it all is generally the one that is closest to their starting roster at the beginning of the season.  The Chiefs were on quite a roll, but just lost one of their best defensive players.  The Vikings looked like world beaters until injuries caught up to them.  

The only playoff game that the Bengals entered in the Dalton/Green era with a pretty healthy roster was the SD game.  And I honestly believe if Gio doesn't fumble at the 5 yard line, they win that game...plus, I think Geno was out.  

Regardless of the history, I think if they can plug some holes I think they will be back....back in position to make a run at the Championship.  
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 03:34 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: And you call Marvin a piss poor planner?

How in the hell can you credibly build a Bengals man cave and not have that in the works?!?

At the very least you need to have a bar with a whole lot of liqour in it. Whole lot. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 03:41 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is completely speculation.  Last year they were playing better football than anyone in the league before Dalton's injury.  The season completely re-starts come the postseason.  The team that wins it all is generally the one that is closest to their starting roster at the beginning of the season.  The Chiefs were on quite a roll, but just lost one of their best defensive players.  The Vikings looked like world beaters until injuries caught up to them.  

The only playoff game that the Bengals entered in the Dalton/Green era with a pretty healthy roster was the SD game.  And I honestly believe if Gio doesn't fumble at the 5 yard line, they win that game...plus, I think Geno was out.  

Regardless of the history, I think if they can plug some holes I think they will be back....back in position to make a run at the Championship.  

I almost always agree with you SHRacer but we also got outcoached in every game.

Terrible adjustments. We were leading that Chargers game at halftime 10-7 and did nothing on Offense the 2nd half
and were terrible on Defense the 2nd half. Similar to this last Steeler game but that was even worse, 20-6 in the first
half, lose 24-20. This is mostly on the coaches as this has happened under Marv numerous times.

I believe Marv would of been fired anywhere else if these games happened often anywhere else.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 03:41 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is completely speculation.  Last year they were playing better football than anyone in the league before Dalton's injury.  The season completely re-starts come the postseason.  The team that wins it all is generally the one that is closest to their starting roster at the beginning of the season.  The Chiefs were on quite a roll, but just lost one of their best defensive players.  The Vikings looked like world beaters until injuries caught up to them.  

The problem is, every playoff game we have injuries. So does the opponent. It's just part of the NFL. You're beat up, they're beat up.

That's the difference maker. Teams that can coach around the weakness of a missing player, or teams that have benches developed and ready to go. We haven't had that under Marvin. From first rounders who sit on the depth chart until they're forced into action and look lost, to guys we draft/sign and never see.

Bill Belicheck will go down as one of the greatest NFL coaches. Why? Because he finds ways to win when his team isn't at its best. Starters suspended or injured? He plays the backup and wins. Doesn't have a running game? No problem, he modifies the passing game to control the clock. Receivers can't catch? No big deal, he just deflates the balls... er, well, nevermind that one.

On the flipside, Marvin losses his TE and drops to 6th in red zone scoring to 21st. He just doesn't have a plan for things when what he wants/expects doesn't work out.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 04:44 PM)Benton Wrote: The problem is, every playoff game we have injuries. So does the opponent. It's just part of the NFL. You're beat up, they're beat up.

That's the difference maker. Teams that can coach around the weakness of a missing player, or teams that have benches developed and ready to go. We haven't had that under Marvin. From first rounders who sit on the depth chart until they're forced into action and look lost, to guys we draft/sign and never see.

Bill Belicheck will go down as one of the greatest NFL coaches. Why? Because he finds ways to win when his team isn't at its best. Starters suspended or injured? He plays the backup and wins. Doesn't have a running game? No problem, he modifies the passing game to control the clock. Receivers can't catch? No big deal, he just deflates the balls... er, well, nevermind that one.

On the flipside, Marvin losses his TE and drops to 6th in red zone scoring to 21st. He just doesn't have a plan for things when what he wants/expects doesn't work out.

You said it better than me Benton, reps.

Belichick also goes into every game planning on taking away the other teams best players.

Just watch our game against him this year. We went in their place and their best players took us down. While ours were taken away.

Belichick also keeps his foot on the pedal when the Pats are up big.

Marv does not ever do this.
Reply/Quote

After 14 years and 7 postseason appearances, this is basically what we're left with - a myriad of excuses as to why they couldn't win a single playoff game. 

We can't discuss that one playoff game that they did win. We can't even discuss a playoff game where they looked competitive from start to finish, even in a loss. 

Instead, we're continuously hoping that next season could be 'the year' it finally happens. At what point do the actual results matter more than the if's and but's?
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 04:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Belichick also keeps his foot on the pedal when the Pats are up big.

Wrong.  Look at the Patriots/Browns game this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 05:06 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: We can't even discuss a playoff game where they looked competitive from start to finish, even in a loss. 

We had the Steelers beat.  We did not win, but no way you can say that we were "not competative" when it took a miracle for the Steelers to pull pout the victory.

I am as hungry as any other fan for a postseason victory, but In also canb see a little perspective.

Since Marvin started his 0-7 playoff streak there are 4 teams in the NFL that have never even made the playoffs.  There are 4 others who have never won a playoff game, and 5 more who have only won one. Less than half of the league (14 teams) have been to the playoffs more than the Bengals.  

And even thought the Jags have won a playoff game since '05 they also only have two winning seasons and have not won more than 5 games in the last 7 years.  So would you really trade just one playoff win since '05 for 10 non-winning seasons?

It is possible for me to not be satisfied with no playoff wins, but also see that we are not an embarrassment or a joke.  And I certainly do not think the bengals have achieved all of this without even wanting to win.  That is just ridiculous. 
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 03:34 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: And you call Marvin a piss poor planner?

Just replace Zoloft and Prozac with whiskey.  Plus that reduces the need for the Pepto.
Reply/Quote
[Image: despairdemotivator.jpeg?v=1403275969]

You *****. You're going to quit now?  After 25 years of Mike Brown you're going to quit now?  You've watched Mike turn down Ditka's trade. You've watched Mike rent TVs to the players on Hard Knocks. You've watched Carson threaten to retire rather than play another down under Mike's leadership. You've seen Willie Anderson buy towels large enough to cover their asses for the team. You witnessed Jonathan Joseph sign with the Texans so he have all the god damn Gatorade he can drink. Nobody comes this far to quit now!

I'm all in!

Some of you whippersnappers need to watch this video. Just substitute Bengals or Bengals' fan for any references to the Army or soldiers. 

And you guys, all you guys, are just as ****** in the head as me and you masochistic sumbeeches are gonna be back here, with me, next season, too. If you need to go to the closet and have a good cry, get it out of your system. A mock draft will take your mind off that pain. 
Reply/Quote
While, it's not "official" that he'll be back next season. It's basically 99.999999% likely he'll be back next season. It's not really a shock.

If this team really wants to show people that they mean business, then they better make some changes during the offseason. They can't trot out this "trust the process" BS and expect people to rally into next season with Super Bowl aspirations. This fan base is pretty much numb and just shoulder shrugging the majority of the time. Remember entering the 2015 season when Marvin said (lied) that were going to see a different offseason than what was normal? People were fired up and things looked great. Obviously none of those changes happened, but it still felt great when we thought those things were going to happen.

Now, if they come out and say that this is going to be a different offseason than normal, there will be no cheers and people saying that it's our year. It'll be fans saying, "Prove it."

Frankly, I don't see much coming in terms of change. This season will be just be blamed on injuries and personnel changes. I don't expect anything in free agency for two reasons:

1. We're the Bengals

2. Have you looked at the potential market? Not a lot of help out there. The cap is going up another $10 million, so teams will pretty much be able to hang onto their stars. I'm fully expecting Menalik Watson to be the "big" signing this offseason and Hobson's article about us almost taking him in the 2nd round in 2013 will come out 1 day later.

Oh well.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 05:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We had the Steelers beat.  We did not win, but no way you can say that we were "not competative" when it took a miracle for the Steelers to pull pout the victory.

I specifically said 'start to finish', which you seem to have ignored. By my calculations, being down 15-0 in after 3 quarters - with an offense that had been putrid to that point, is not being competitive for 4 quarters. The Steelers victory was the result of a complete meltdown by the Bengals. You can call it a miracle, I call it par for the course when it comes to the postseason performances under Marvin. How can it be a miracle if it's not at all surprising?

Quote:I am as hungry as any other fan for a postseason victory, but In also canb see a little perspective.

Since Marvin started his 0-7 playoff streak there are 4 teams in the NFL that have never even made the playoffs.  There are 4 others who have never won a playoff game, and 5 more who have only won one. Less than half of the league (14 teams) have been to the playoffs more than the Bengals.  

Let me offer a little more perspective. No coach in the entire history has of the NFL ever lost 7 straight playoff games. No coach in the the entire history of the NFL has ever had 5 consecutive one and done's.

Against the 5 most consistently franchises during Marvin's tenure (Pats, Steeler, Ravens, Colts, Broncos)...he is a combined 29-52, including playoff games. Those 5 teams have represented the SB in all 13 years previous to this one, and most likely one of them will again this year. Marvin has proven that he can't hang with the best.

Against the AFC as a whole during his 14 years, he is 83-84. If you take away his 20-8 record against the hapless Browns, he's just 63-76 against the other 14 teams in the AFC.

Quote:And even thought the Jags have won a playoff game since '05 they also only have two winning seasons and have not won more than 5 games in the last 7 years.  So would you really trade just one playoff win since '05 for 10 non-winning seasons?

It is possible for me to not be satisfied with no playoff wins, but also see that we are not an embarrassment or a joke.  And I certainly do not think the bengals have achieved all of this without even wanting to win.  That is just ridiculous. 

I've never claimed they're an embarrassment in the regular season, with the exception of prime time games and the Steelers at PBS. I've given Marvin plenty of credit in terms of where he's taken the franchise and for being a good regular season coach for the most part. However, they have been an complete embarrassment in the postseason, when it matters the most. As I said before, at some point, the end result has to outweigh everything else...especially when you have 7 different examples with the same conclusion.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 05:41 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Frankly, I don't see much coming in terms of change. This season will be just be blamed on injuries and personnel changes. I don't expect anything in free agency for two reasons:

1. We're the Bengals

2. Have you looked at the potential market? Not a lot of help out there. The cap is going up another $10 million, so teams will pretty much be able to hang onto their stars. I'm fully expecting Menalik Watson to be the "big" signing this offseason and Hobson's article about us almost taking him in the 2nd round in 2013 will come out 1 day later.

Oh well.

Nothing will change this off season.

The last two years the bengals have spent over the league salary cap.  They might do that again, but it will not be to bring in a big ticket free agent.  Instead it will be re-signing some of our own players and bringing in a few mid level players from other teams.

Guenthar's contract is up as DC.  I am pretty sure Marvin will want him back, but that will at least provide some intrigue for a while.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 11:20 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I currently am building a man cave. Looks like I need to insert a medicine cabinet in my construction plans to hold all the Zoloft, Prozac and Pepto Bismol needed for Bengal games.

Dude....we're gonna need some Xanax in there too.
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Reply/Quote