Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back Up QBs
(02-08-2023, 01:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: The reality is the back up QB isn't there to win long stretches of games. Look around the league and the back ups are often times dudes you'd never guess are even still in the league. QB2 is more of a coach with a great understanding of the system and essentially acts as a confidant to the starter and helps A LOT with game prep. If Taylor and Burrow want Brandon Allen then I trust that he is helpful to the process.

Lots of times teams will grab an UDFA or super late QB3. I do think the team should constantly rotate those guys through to see if you can strike gold but as far as QB2 stay with what works.

I'm not a big Allen fan but Zac and Joe and Co. seem to be so it's cool. I wouldn't mind, like you say, take a late round/UDFA flyer on a guy just to see if we get amazingly lucky and land the next Purdy fella.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 01:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: No, and it really isn't. We run a pretty complex system with a ton of checks and sight adjustments that would have to be massively dumbed down for anyone not named Joe Burrow. They built a system for Joe Burrow and unless you have a back up Joe Burrow we are pretty screwed if anything happens. 

Well that sucks, seeing as it takes like 20 games to win the damn SB these days.  Ah well, fingers crossed and all that. 
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 02:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well that sucks, seeing as it takes like 20 games to win the damn SB these days.  Ah well, fingers crossed and all that. 

20 if you get a bye.  Otherwise it's 21.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Tom Moore just signed a contract extension with the Buccaneers at the age of 84. His quote about Peyton Manning’s backups not getting reps is the most sage advice I’ve heard regarding the QB depth chart.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
Taylor Heinicke
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
I'd like us to improve since Allen isn't anything special. Unless we play a shitty team, it'll most likely be a loss with Allen at the helm.

However, rumors are that Burrow and Zac are Brandon Allen fans so the only way he's replaced is if he decides to go elsewhere. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I'm surprised I didn't see anyone mention that Andy Dalton is a free agent.
Ninja

My thoughts on Hall was that he could produce for the team in other aspects, gadget plays and emergency RB, etc..
Heinicke wouldn't be bad.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 11:02 PM)Destro Wrote: Taylor Heinicke

I'd be cool with that, I dated his mom in college and she'd probably still hook me up with tickets. Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 12:37 PM)Whacked Wrote: Let’s face it.

If JB goes down - it’s season over. lol

No way we get lucky like San Fran did w Purdy

I think we save the cash on a decent backup to spend on an OLine so he doesn’t get decapitated.

Disagree, we have  a competive team without Burrow, as long as we stay healthy 
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 02:28 PM)michaelsean Wrote: 20 if you get a bye.  Otherwise it's 21.

Or a player has a Heart Attack.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 04:29 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I'm surprised I didn't see anyone mention that Andy Dalton is a free agent.
Ninja

My thoughts on Hall was that he could produce for the team in other aspects, gadget plays and emergency RB, etc..
Heinicke wouldn't be bad.

Dalton would be good, but he's still likely to get a contract where he can start, be it as a bridge or a competition for the starting gig.  I feel like Heinicke has started enough games that he is going to shoot for a chance to get on the field rather than go the backup route, too.
Reply/Quote
I am on board with drafting a QB around round 5 unless a guy projected to go in 2 slides to 4. It would not be hard to upgrade over Allen. This is by far the cheapest option.
Reply/Quote
Roll with Allen and then take a later round (5-7th) developmental guy with physical tools. See how it works out.

I'd much rather spend the $5-10 miillon on a starter or extension.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 06:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Or a player has a Heart Attack.

Ouch
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 09:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'd be cool with that, I dated his mom in college and she'd probably still hook me up with tickets. Who Dey

What. Hold the ...up. What?
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 10:48 PM)Destro Wrote: What. Hold the ...up. What?

He may have the name mixed up with his favorite beer, but let's just see how this plays out.
Yeah
Reply/Quote
Nothing against Brandon Allen, but he's not coming off the bench and giving the team what Huntley or Purdy are going to give their respective teams in terms of chances to win.  I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a late round guy with some sizzle in his hips who can run the read-option and who has a high ceiling.  
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 10:47 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Zappe sucks.

Brandon Allen is fine, I don't know why people go absolutely nuts over a backup position like this.

In the draft, only one realistic choice I'd make and that's Matt McDonald from BGSU. Guy steadily improved in the MAC, each year and is similar to Burrow in traits (great pocket presence, very accurate in the intermediate part of the field, makes good decisions and protects the ball), similar trajectory of improvement, though final year was obviously not even close to Burrow's). Team captain, transferred in his Junior year, All-Academic every year, similar build and arm strength, the guys fits our team and system very well (moreso than Browning).

I'd 100% bring him in as an UDFA or 7th round pick, as he probably wouldn't get drafted and he isn't on any draft lists or watch lists or anything. He could probably unseat Browning as the PS QB and may even unseat Allen...

But Allen's going nowhere. I said it two years ago and will say it again: Burrow doesn't need a, "veteran, experienced," backup. He needs someone to bounce ideas off of and someone who is good in the system, to help him be at his best and so that if he does get injured, the transition isn't as stark.

What John McEnroe says to line judges.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 09:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'd be cool with that, I dated his mom in college and she'd probably still hook me up with tickets. Who Dey

Mr. Heinicke, that you?
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 10:48 PM)Destro Wrote: What. Hold the ...up. What?

What the what? Why is that hard to believe, his mom went to EKU, and we ran in the same circles. And she was hot.  I'll go one further, I went out a couple of times with Turk Schonert's future wife when we were in high school.  I think she still runs his charities, but I haven't seen her since graduation.
Reply/Quote