Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back Up QBs
(02-10-2023, 10:11 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Mr. Heinicke, that you?

Obviously not. Lost track of her after college. Taylor would have been born about 7-9 years later........
Reply/Quote
Would love to upgrade the backup QB position.

Know Zac says Joe loves the feedback Allen gives him on the sideline, but seems he could just stay on the practice squad and still be on the sideline
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The question has to be answered prior to deciding on a back up QB. How much is the ceiling Bengals should pay a back up?

Most vets with a lot of game experience are not cheap. So if OP is thinking we can only spend up to 3 million, it limits the choices.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
In a perfect world Burrow going down wouldn’t end the whole season

You’d LOVE to have a Teddy Bridgewater type guy there but we sure as hell aren’t paying a backup so it is what it is
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 12:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: One of the key points of having a veteran backup QB is that it is understood that there is no "competition" with the starter, he understands fully that he just the clipboard guy, unless disaster strikes.

I understand where you're coming from and don't necessarily disagree, but it would have to be the right guy. I'm not really sure who that might be? 

I'm not as opposed to taking a younger QB and I think Zappe would have been a nice addition. I'm confident that most any QB brought in would understand immediately that Joe is the man. I don't think that even comes into play.

In summation, if we could get the right vet at the right price that would probably be ideal. That said, this team has a young core group and with the culture that is being built here we need to keep drafting towards the future. It's time to show the league that we're going to be here for a while this time.  
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 12:30 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The question has to be answered prior to deciding on a back up QB. How much is the ceiling Bengals should pay a back up?

Most vets with a lot of game experience are not cheap. So if OP is thinking we can only spend up to 3 million, it limits the choices.

The OP would like to draft Jaren Allen in the 5th or 6th round.
Rock On
Reply/Quote
When JB was a rookie I wanted a veteran backup. Most likely the ONLY dude that advocated keeping Andy.

Now that JB's entering his 4th year I no longer think he needs a mentor in the locker room.

I'd like to spend a 5th of Clayton Tune outta Houston. He has JB traits.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 12:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When JB was a rookie I wanted a veteran backup. Most likely the ONLY dude that advocated keeping Andy.

Now that JB's entering his 4th year I no longer think he needs a mentor in the locker room.

I'd like to spend a 5th of Clayton Tune outta Houston. He has JB traits.

I thought keeping Andy would have been fine, but I also pointed out that new offensive coaches usually bring in a backup QB they had before who knows their system.  I thought the Bengals could have brought in Matt Moore for that, he was with ZT in Miami I'm pretty sure.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 08:50 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Would love to upgrade the backup QB position.

Know Zac says Joe loves the feedback Allen gives him on the sideline, but seems he could just stay on the practice squad and still be on the sideline
Hell, if that's the case, then I love his feedback on the sidelines also . . . however, . . . that still doesn't erase the visuals of his shit play on the field.

If Zac likes his feedback so much, don't re-sign him. No team is going to sign him and if for some strange reason someone does pick him up, he's almost guaranteed to be a camp cut. Then he can be a coaching intern that's not on the salary cap. If Joe misses games and the legitimate NFL #2 and #3 QBs go down, the season's pretty much over, re-sign Allen off of the coaching staff on a pro-rated deal.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 02:26 PM)Housh Wrote: In a perfect world Burrow going down wouldn’t end the whole season

You’d LOVE to have a Teddy Bridgewater type guy there but we sure as hell aren’t paying a backup so it is what it is

Lobbied for Teddy to be our back up QB when he returned from injury a few years back. 

Everybody thought that was stupid because many so wanted to trade to get AJ McCarron back instead of having a Pro Bowl QB on the cheap. 

Of course he is no longer cheap and that ship has sailed. But good for Teddy because he is exactly where he wants to be presently.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 12:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I thought keeping Andy would have been fine, but I also pointed out that new offensive coaches usually bring in a backup QB they had before who knows their system.  I thought the Bengals could have brought in Matt Moore for that, he was with ZT in Miami I'm pretty sure.

Well Andy had been in Zac's system for 1 year, but I too, thought Matt Moore would have been a good choice. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Atlanta released Mariota today. Could be an option.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 10:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Atlanta released Mariota today. Could be an option.

That’s not a bad thought. Is Marcus Mariota better than Brandon Allen? What’s he like when the pocket collapses?
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 11:36 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s not a bad thought. Is Marcus Mariota better than Brandon Allen? What’s he like when the pocket collapses?

[Image: not-sure-hmm.gif]

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 04:00 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: It's the ugliest discussion to have, but necessary.
I'm not sold on who we have at back up.
Brandon Allen just doesn't do it for me and I haven't seen enough of Jake Browning to feel comfortable.
If we continue to have issues on the O-line, this needs to be addressed with better talent behind Joe.
So, what say you ? Rely on a current back up, acquire a wily veteran, or draft a rookie ?
Hmm

For myself, I'd probably draft a mobile guy with a decent sense of the field.
If we lose our starting QB, it will likely be from issues on the line.
Mobility could buy us a few games, until the starters return.
I'm thinking we draft Jaren Hall in the 5th or later.

There are a few veterans I'd be happy with, but I'd have to see what shook out after the draft.

Despite his recent DUI arrest, if Stetson Bennett is available as an UDFA or 7th rounder, I might consider him as a huge upgrade to Allen.  I know he is already the same age as Burrow, but he is a savvy dude and I would love to see him backing up Joe for a decade.  
Reply/Quote
Carson Wentz is looking for work. He's entering backup or get out of the league territory.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 09:53 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Carson Wentz is looking for work. He's entering backup or get out of the league territory.

No more ginger QB’s in Cincy!

[Image: corey-haim-fingers-crossed.gif]

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 09:53 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Carson Wentz is looking for work. He's entering backup or get out of the league territory.

Wentz and Mariotta both have character concerns and have been gleefully discarded multiple times.  I don't see how they'd fit in with the culture we're trying to promote here, and even if they play nice because we are a good team, that stuff won't last.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 10:53 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Wentz and Mariotta both have character concerns and have been gleefully discarded multiple times.  I don't see how they'd fit in with the culture we're trying to promote here, and even if they play nice because we are a good team, that stuff won't last.

I didn't realize that about Mariota. I knew he didn't like the benching last season but I thought he was perceived to be a good guy?

Both QBs are at a point in their careers where they can embrace the back up role if they make the conscience decision.. If they do, and Duke/Zac feels good with them, I'd support signing them.

That said, I think Burrow likes Allen and I believe he's the backup QB for a few more seasons.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 12:26 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I didn't realize that about Mariota. I knew he didn't like the benching last season but I thought he was perceived to be a good guy?

Yeah, this is the first I’m hearing about any character issues with Mariota. Curious what that’s in reference to.

Reply/Quote