Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back Up QBs
(03-01-2023, 12:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, this is the first I’m hearing about any character issues with Mariota. Curious what that’s in reference to.

He did bail on the Falcons when they benched him. That's all I know.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 12:26 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I didn't realize that about Mariota. I knew he didn't like the benching last season but I thought he was perceived to be a good guy?

Both QBs are at a point in their careers where they can embrace the back up role if they make the conscience decision.. If they do, and Duke/Zac feels good with them, I'd support signing them.

That said, I think Burrow likes Allen and I believe he's the backup QB for a few more seasons.

There are rumblings that Mariotta "quit" on the Falcons after being benched and didn't mentor or help their rookie QB.  It's not BAD person stuff, but any sort of locker room issues aren't worth bringing here if we are going to run things the way we do.

I don't see Wentz embracing a backup role, as he's been bent out of shape since Foles won the SB and he's been reported to be a pain to coach.  I just don't see why we'd throw our locker room harmony into turmoil by bringing either of these guys in.

I don't think we're desperate as a franchise anymore, so brining in guys who quit or are hard to coach is a no-go if we're going to be the team-first franchise full of captains and leaders we claim to be, just my 2 cents.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 01:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote:  I just don't see why we'd throw our locker room harmony into turmoil by bringing either of these guys in.

I don't disagree with this premise at all but I'm not opposed to Wentz or Mariota if Duke/Zac determine they'd be good fits on the roster. I'll trust their judgement. Ultimately, I think the '23 backup remains Allen.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 01:03 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I don't disagree with this premise at all but I'm not opposed to Wentz or Mariota if Duke/Zac determine they'd be good fits on the roster. I'll trust their judgement. Ultimately, I think the '23 backup remains Allen.

I can see how that would be tempting, but we're going to go from bringing in team-first guys to bringing in me-first guys that we are pretty sure we can change?  Getting rid of a team-first system guy that Burrow likes in Allen to put someone like Wentz especially in the locker room?  Seems like a step in the Marvin era direction to me.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 12:26 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: That said, I think Burrow likes Allen and I believe he's the backup QB for a few more seasons.

Unfortunately I agree. I have nothing against Allen, I'm sure he's a great guy. He just does not show me anything on the field. He was outplayed by both Jake Browning and the kid that's now in the XFL last pre-season. 
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 02:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Unfortunately I agree. I have nothing against Allen, I'm sure he's a great guy. He just does not show me anything on the field. He was outplayed by both Jake Browning and the kid that's now in the XFL last pre-season. 

100% agree with this, Browning was head and shoulders above Allen and I like you have nothing against Allen. Just an observation that most probably agree with. . We all saw this and Pally reported on here that the reason was per Joe liking Allen on the sideline giving feedback. Not verbatim but that is the gist I believe she stated as the reason, and that makes sense.  

That is fine, but having players make personnel decision is not that wise imo. It's all cool if Joe never gets hurt but it's a gamble for the Bengals. There are teams that win when starters go down per having just an ok backup, but never a bad one. One won a SB a few years back even. But as we sit if Burrow goes down the Bengals season will go with him.  

My question is can't they just carry Allen on the practice squad where he is still on the sideline but not the teams immediate fall back option in the game ? 

All that being said don't know that the Bengals will or even could ante up an extra $8.5 million to switch Allen for Mariota. He would be a luxury though, but think they need to find quality at a cheaper price and allocate that $8.5 elsewhere, like the O-line.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Taking this kid late in the draft would be way cheaper than Mariota.
Hall is a gamble, but if Burrow goes down it's a crapshoot anyway.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 01:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: There are rumblings that Mariotta "quit" on the Falcons after being benched and didn't mentor or help their rookie QB.  It's not BAD person stuff, but any sort of locker room issues aren't worth bringing here if we are going to run things the way we do.

So what you're saying is he went full Joe Flacco.... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 07:03 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Taking this kid late in the draft would be way cheaper than Mariota.
Hall is a gamble, but if Burrow goes down it's a crapshoot anyway.

And since Allen isn't a special talent the argument can be made the team could afford to take a gamble on a different backup. Allen's value is clearly the sideline relationship with Burrow but eventually there might be a scenario where the Bengals needs the backup QB to produce results during the game.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 02:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Unfortunately I agree. I have nothing against Allen, I'm sure he's a great guy. He just does not show me anything on the field. He was outplayed by both Jake Browning and the kid that's now in the XFL last pre-season. 

(03-01-2023, 02:43 PM)Go Cards Wrote: 100% agree with this, Browning was head and shoulders above Allen and I like you have nothing against Allen. Just an observation that most probably agree with. . We all saw this and Pally reported on here that the reason was per Joe liking Allen on the sideline giving feedback. Not verbatim but that is the gist I believe she stated as the reason, and that makes sense.  

That is fine, but having players make personnel decision is not that wise imo. It's all cool if Joe never gets hurt but it's a gamble for the Bengals. There are teams that win when starters go down per having just an ok backup, but never a bad one. One won a SB a few years back even. But as we sit if Burrow goes down the Bengals season will go with him.  

My question is can't they just carry Allen on the practice squad where he is still on the sideline but not the teams immediate fall back option in the game ? 

All that being said don't know that the Bengals will or even could ante up an extra $8.5 million to switch Allen for Mariota. He would be a luxury though, but think they need to find quality at a cheaper price and allocate that $8.5 elsewhere, like the O-line.  

lawl.

He absolutely did NOT outplay BA:

I mean, neither lit the world on fire, but those numbers look pretty even if you ask me and considering BA at least went up against SOME starters, if you don't consider it a wash, then BA would probably barely edge out Browning.

(insert: "It's the same picture," meme from the Office)
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
We were so close to having home field throughout the playoffs. I'd hate to see us lose out because we settle for having just "a guy" on the roster. I would think Joey B wants home field as much as anyone and confident enough to know he's not going to lose his spot. He should be pushing for the best backup we can find.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 10:52 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: And since Allen isn't a special talent the argument can be made the team could afford to take a gamble on a different backup. Allen's value is clearly the sideline relationship with Burrow but eventually there might be a scenario where the Bengals needs the backup QB to produce results during the game.

Bingo !

And now this thread is quite relevant...

I don't see Browning holding down the fort.
I'm still a Jaren Hall fan, later in the draft. 
Reply/Quote
Lamar Jackson is getting desperate for a contract. Just kidding. We would have to change the entire playbook to accommodate his very interesting skill set.

Seriously though, injuries happen and having a solid backup quarterback is always a good idea. Who will be be able to do what Joe Burrow does? Nobody. However, a solid number two who can run a fraction of the playbook very well would be good to have. The idea is to find the quarterback with the least fall off in talent when compared to Joe Burrow.

I always thought Jon Kitna and AJ McCarron were better than average backups. We don’t need a superstar; just someone who can move the ball.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 09:20 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Lamar Jackson is getting desperate for a contract. Just kidding. We would have to change the entire playbook to accommodate his very interesting skill set.

Seriously though, injuries happen and having a solid backup quarterback is always a good idea. Who will be be able to do what Joe Burrow does? Nobody. However, a solid number two who can run a fraction of the playbook very well would be good to have. The idea is to find the quarterback with the least fall off in talent when compared to Joe Burrow.

I always thought Jon Kitna and AJ McCarron were better than average backups. We don’t need a superstar; just someone who can move the ball.

Macaroni was (and is) pretty shitty.

I still don't get the love affair with that guy: when he's been given the ball, he's played on stacked teams/great schemes his whole life.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 11:00 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: lawl.

He absolutely did NOT outplay BA:

I mean, neither lit the world on fire, but those numbers look pretty even if you ask me and considering BA at least went up against SOME starters, if you don't consider it a wash, then BA would probably barely edge out Browning.

(insert: "It's the same picture," meme from the Office)

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fc.tenor.com%2Fm-kZxe5XX...ipo=images]

As for Browning vs Allen, maybe that's why they don't care to re-sign Allen. If Browning seems to be the same but only costs $750k, why have Allen?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Browning vs Allen, interchangeable parts...one isn't better (or worse) than the other. Personally, I would rather have a backup who would at least have a snowball's chance in hell of winning an NFL game. Only chance of either of those guys doing that means we'd better have a great running game (which leads us into another Joe Mixon discussion). But, foregoing that, I want the one who supports Joe B the best. Or, draft a guy late and stick him on the practice squad. If Browning is cheaper, I'm OK with him being QB2.

Would I rather have a Wentz or Marriotta, but let's face facts, those guys want a big bunch of money, and a shot at starting. Neither of those things are happening here.
Reply/Quote