Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to Dalton we go
(11-26-2019, 08:31 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I'm not a hater , I just don't agree with your way of thinking. That is allowed here isn't it?

What if i would have said Dolegala instead of Dalton? Because i would have if he were dressed. 

Wait, if Zac was in true evaluation mode why wasn't Dolegala even dressed?

All in all this experiment probably cost us Dalton and Finley. Kid is probably ruined here even as a backup.

Reply/Quote
What a mess. It's getting more & more apparent Taylor doesn't have a clue how to fix this. After the Seattle game we all had high hopes but it has been downhill ever since. I'm almost afraid to ask what else can go wrong. I want to believe in him but my gosh what a start to a head coaching career.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This is from an article in October after the first Steelers loss.  
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/02/bengals-offensive-line-lost-most-matchups-of-any-single-game-pff-era/

During the 27-3 embarrassment Monday night, the Bengals were historically bad by Pro Football Focus’ grading measures, per Anthony Treash:

“In all seriousness, this was among the five worst offensive line performances we have seen in the PFF era with their offensive linemen taking home a PFF pass-block grade of 21.4, the fourth-worst in a single game since 2006…No team lost more matchups in a single game in the PFF era than the Bengals did last night, and they also gave up a franchise-record amount of pressures.”

Trey Hopkins leads the team with a 60.9 PFF score.  This is a below average rating.  A poor rating is 0-60 and ALL of our other OL fall within this range.  FFS, Price and Jordan have ratings in the 30's.  Have a look for yourself.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/teams/cincinnati-bengals/7/roster

My point is that Burrow or any other QB is not going to be able to make or extend plays with these people blocking next year.  Sure, I'd like an upgrade from Dalton, but he's a starter in this league, where our ENTIRE OL has no business starting anywhere for any team!  

We could've even won some games running the ball if these guys could just block.  We have Joe Mixon who is an amazing talent.  

Keep Dalton and trade that No. 1 pick and try to get at least 2 starting OL.  We have no chance next year if the FO doesn't address this major deficiency and change their approach to free agency.  If not, might as well just get rid of this team to someone else who gives a shit.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 12:10 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: What a mess. It's getting more & more apparent Taylor doesn't have a clue how to fix this. After the Seattle game we all had high hopes but it has been downhill ever since. I'm almost afraid to ask what else can go wrong. I want to believe in him but my gosh what a start to a head coaching career.

I would think that we didn't really play that well at Seattle ,but they had a bad game. As far as Zac , it's hard to win a Nascar race with a go cart. The FO needs to revamp this team by knocking out of the park in the draft and loosening the purse strings and go after top FAs to bolster the weakness of the team. I think MB will take a top pick as a sign he can play scrooge and screw the fans again. Its not that he doesn't spend but he spends foolishly. Atkins (15mil), and Dunlap (15 mil) got their extensions and disappeared, AJ (15mil) and Glenn (9mil) have spent the season on IR. That's about 6% of the team eating up 30% of the salary with little or no production. The money isn't being spent wisely.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 12:49 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I would think that we didn't really play that well at Seattle ,but they had a bad game. As far as Zac , it's hard to win a Nascar race with a go cart. The FO needs to revamp this team by knocking out of the park in the draft and loosening the purse strings and go after top FAs to bolster the weakness of the team. I think MB will take a top pick as a sign he can play scrooge and screw the fans again. Its not that he doesn't spend but he spends foolishly. Atkins (15mil), and Dunlap (15 mil) got their extensions and disappeared, AJ (15mil) and Glenn (9mil) have spent the season on IR. That's about 6% of the team eating up 30% of the salary with little or no production. The money isn't being spent wisely.

As much as I hate MB you can't claim he was foolish for extending Atkins and Dunlap if they disappeared after being extended. They earned being extended and disappearing after is on the coaching, not Brown. Same with AJ. Glenn is certainly debatable, but the other guys are not good examples of MB spending foolishly.

Breaking the bank now for AJ after this season? Whole 'nother matter. I'm so irritated with him I'd let him walk without an offer.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 12:46 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: This is from an article in October after the first Steelers loss.  
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/02/bengals-offensive-line-lost-most-matchups-of-any-single-game-pff-era/

During the 27-3 embarrassment Monday night, the Bengals were historically bad by Pro Football Focus’ grading measures, per Anthony Treash:

“In all seriousness, this was among the five worst offensive line performances we have seen in the PFF era with their offensive linemen taking home a PFF pass-block grade of 21.4, the fourth-worst in a single game since 2006…No team lost more matchups in a single game in the PFF era than the Bengals did last night, and they also gave up a franchise-record amount of pressures.”

Trey Hopkins leads the team with a 60.9 PFF score.  This is a below average rating.  A poor rating is 0-60 and ALL of our other OL fall within this range.  FFS, Price and Jordan have ratings in the 30's.  Have a look for yourself.

My point is that Burrow or any other QB is not going to be able to make or extend plays with these people blocking next year.  Sure, I'd like an upgrade from Dalton, but he's a starter in this league, where our ENTIRE OL has no business starting anywhere for any team!  

We could've even won some games running the ball if these guys could just block.  We have Joe Mixon who is an amazing talent.  

Keep Dalton and trade that No. 1 pick and try to get at least 2 starting OL.  We have no chance next year if the FO doesn't address this major deficiency and change their approach to free agency.  If not, might as well just get rid of this team to someone else who gives a shit.
Jettison Dalton's 17 mil contract and Glenn's 9 mil contract and go out and buy the o-line help. I don't think we will have a chance to draft Lawrence. Got to take the QB when you get the chance. 
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 12:57 PM)R3stangs Wrote: As much as I hate MB you can't claim he was foolish for extending Atkins and Dunlap if they disappeared after being extended. They earned being extended and disappearing after is on the coaching, not Brown. Same with AJ. Glenn is certainly debatable, but the other guys are not good examples of MB spending foolishly.

Breaking the bank now for AJ after this season? Whole 'nother matter. I'm so irritated with him I'd let him walk without an offer.

The problem isn't signing them it's paying the lion share up front. This protects them from being saddled later but it hand cuffs them when that upfront money could be used to upgrade the teams other needs. I agree that AJ needs to walk or franchise him. Say they signed him though to an extension of a five year 18 mil contract with 36 mil guaranteed. The FO would pay that money up front and guess what no o-line help again.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 12:49 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Its not that he doesn't spend but he spends foolishly. Atkins (15mil), and Dunlap (15 mil) got their extensions and disappeared, AJ (15mil) and Glenn (9mil) have spent the season on IR. That's about 6% of the team eating up 30% of the salary with little or no production. The money isn't being spent wisely.

I agree that Mike Brown often does not spend his money wisely, but those are some poor examples.  At the time they signed their deal Green, Atkins, and Dunlap all deserved them.  In fact if we had not re-signed those guys there would have been an uproar about how the Bengals won't spend to re-sign their best players.

And at the time we traded for Glenn most applauded it as a "bold move" that showed Mike was at least "trying".

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 12:58 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Jettison Dalton's 17 mil contract and Glenn's 9 mil contract and go out and buy the o-line help. I don't think we will have a chance to draft Lawrence. Got to take the QB when you get the chance. 

Yep. This team has got to let go of yesterday. The window is closed on the Dalton era and it isn't opening back up. The roster needs major reconstruction and the franchise needs a new identity. Frankly, Dalton needs a change of scenery as well. He has a much better chance at finding success with another team than he ever will here.

Now, if only Mikey could get it through his thick head and create those cap funds by letting go of players who are not part of the future here, and then using said funds to set up the next generation of players for success..........
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 01:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree that Mike Brown often does not spend his money wisely, but those are some poor examples.  At the time they signed their deal Green, Atkins, and Dunlap all deserved them.  In fact if we had not re-signed those guys there would have been an uproar about how the Bengals won't spend to re-sign their best players.

And at the time we traded for Glenn most applauded it as a "bold move" that showed Mike was at least "trying".

Agreed. At the time, both signings looked like decent values.

Honestly, on Green - His productive years came on his rookie deal. Then once he was off that, he's generally been hurt a decent amount of years. He still produces at a high level when he plays, he just misses a lot of games.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 12:58 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Jettison Dalton's 17 mil contract and Glenn's 9 mil contract and go out and buy the o-line help. I don't think we will have a chance to draft Lawrence. Got to take the QB when you get the chance. 

I don't see MB spending much money on the OL.  He had the chance this offseason and passed, especially when Jonah got hurt.  By the time you fix the rest of the team just to make it average, I think the shiny new QB becomes a dull, skittish vet on his way out of the league in probably 2-3 years.  

If they do take a QB, drastic moves would have to made in FA because no one wants to come to our graveyard unless we seriously overpay them.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
The press conference Andy did was kind of touching.

I would love to see him throw for 400 yards against the Jets.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 10:05 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: My memory is a little faded....but wasn't that around the time the oline started to crumble due to age and injuries? Seems it was around that time when guys like Dennis Roland were playing quite a bit.

I believe Steinbach missed the block, willie and Levi Jones were tackles, Bobbie Williams at RG, and good old 74 at Center.

Pretty awesome group

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 12:46 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: This is from an article in October after the first Steelers loss.  

Great plan until the Bengals refuse to get any FA....I agree with you other than getting the QB. We very possibly don’t get this chance for another decade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 10:41 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: [Image: wildtd.gif]

Ah the days of a real coaching and players who could execute a play.

[Image: th?id=OIP.PXSOlahA69hgkK58O_Zl1QHaE8&pid...=289&h=193]

Man I remember that. That was the first play of the game with the perfect bomb by Sanu. Awesome way to start that game.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 02:59 PM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: The press conference Andy did was kind of touching.

I would love to see him throw for 400 yards against the Jets.

This.

I think those who have been against Dalton or who have criticized him have never moved that he is an exceptional human being. Part of my 'bias' with Dalton is the fact I've worked with him and JJ's foundation several times. I've seen with my own eyes how outstanding of human beings they are. I think we all want him to succeed, but like when Finley is, the belief is that he won't and we need to move on. I won't argue it. I've been on Dalton's side but I've also questioned his performance (as I did with Palmer). 

So, we will see. I hope for the best. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote

In total agreement!
Reply/Quote
Think I would of rather went with Dolegala honestly, see what he has.

No point in trying to win at this point, but I understand Taylor wants to keep his job and this is probably his best shot.

Also, he is trying to not lose the locker room as others stated.

I wanted to see what Finley had, he didn't have it. Would of gave Dolegala a shot afterwards if it was my decision....

As a fan.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 03:32 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Man I remember that. That was the first play of the game with the perfect bomb by Sanu. Awesome way to start that game.

That was so funny... I remember the commentators didn't notice who was under center til Sanu dropped back. DeAngelo Hall was out on Dalton frantically pointing at him as if nobody on the defense noticed either
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 03:40 PM)jason Wrote: That was so funny... I remember the commentators didn't notice who was under center til Sanu dropped back. DeAngelo Hall was out on Dalton frantically pointing at him as if nobody on the defense noticed either

Was a damn cool play alright. Was Hue the OC then or Jay? I forget.

Either way much better playcallers than Zac it seems.

Pretty sure Mo was perfect here passing...
Reply/Quote