Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backup QB ?
(03-23-2022, 03:07 PM)Justin1462 Wrote: Am I the only person on this board that thinks we could benefit greatly from  a pass catching back. Mixon catching passes flat footed in the flat last year for losses and our lack of being able to run any rbs screens with all our pressure problems made me cringe sometimes. Not high on Perrine as answer there.

Bring back GIO!  He's a great blocker and pass catcher!
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't really know what good Brandon Allen does you.

He's not good enough to go 2-1, 3-2 over a couple game span if Burrow goes down short term. You're absolutely doomed if Burrow goes down long term. He's not some grizzled vet who has tons of accumulated NFL knowledge that will basically be an extra (but more relatable) coach for the QB. He's not some young guy with upside who you can develop.

I'd want my backup QB to at least fill one of those needs.

You did a better job of saying what I was trying to. I mean, what does Allen do for us ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:55 PM)Yogo Wrote: ANDY DALTON!

I'd be a bit surprised if he'd come back. Or if they'd want him back ?

I'm not sure how I'd feel about it either ? For sure he's an upgrade over Allen.
Reply/Quote
I wonder if they are considering drafting one of these young quarterbacks that seem to be dropping down so many draft boards
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 03:05 PM)Yogo Wrote: Yes he is!  Let's get him cheap!

I am for it then. Andy is a definite upgrade over Brandon Allen. I would think Andy would like to come back to Cincy as well.

(03-23-2022, 03:07 PM)Justin1462 Wrote: Am I the only person on this board that thinks we could benefit greatly from  a pass catching back. Mixon catching passes flat footed in the flat last year for losses along with our lack of being able to execute any rbs screens with all our pressure problems last year made me cringe sometimes. Not high on Perrine as answer there. Rather spend money elsewhere, it’s a Burrow or bust for us as far as season goes imho.

Both Mixon and Evans are pass catching backs. Need to add another one though.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 03:05 PM)Yogo Wrote: Yes he is!  Let's get him cheap!

How certain are we that he is going to be "cheap"? He was on $10M contract last season. He won't command that much this season, but how cheap is cheap?
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 03:54 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: How certain are we that he is going to be "cheap"? He was on $10M contract last season. He won't command that much this season, but how cheap is cheap?

He took a 1 year / $7 mil contract to back up in Dallas during Covid.

I'm hoping we can get him for like 1 yr 5 mil.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 04:33 PM)Yogo Wrote: He took a 1 year / $7 mil contract to back up in Dallas during Covid.

That would be fantastic honestly. 

Couldn't get a better backup, maybe Fitzy who I would also like in case Andy doesn't want to come back.

I think he would, he would have a good chance of getting a SB ring here playing behind Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 04:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That would be fantastic honestly. 

Couldn't get a better backup, maybe Fitzy who I would also like in case Andy doesn't want to come back.

I think he would, he would have a good chance of getting a SB ring here playing behind Burrow.

The reason I prefer Andy (34 yo) over Ryan (39 yo recovering from injury) is because he is 4 years younger without an injury.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 04:33 PM)Yogo Wrote: He took a 1 year / $7 mil contract to back up in Dallas during Covid.

Would rather that go towards Tretter, or barring that, Reiff as a backup for both T spots.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 04:41 PM)Yogo Wrote: The reason I prefer Andy (34 yo) over Ryan (39 yo recovering from injury) is because he is 4 years younger without an injury.

Same.

(03-23-2022, 04:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Would rather that go towards Tretter, or barring that, Reiff as a backup for both T spots.

Not happening with Tretter from the sound of it and I fear Reiff's ankle is bad.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 04:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Would rather that go towards Tretter, or barring that, Reiff as a backup for both T spots.

I would much rather have that go to Tretter as well (if he is a C that fits our scheme).  Then I'd be satisfied with Allen or the best of Allen's tier.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If they have stuck with Allen this long then he is not going anywhere. Zach likes something about him. He looked pretty rough against the Browns, but overall he is an average back up QB.  And average back ups are not very good.

In his defense, look at the line he had. He had zero time to do anything. A backup is not going to succeed under those circumstances. 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 04:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That would be fantastic honestly. 

With our new and improved line and our offensive weapons,  Andy would be pretty darn good in the event he had to replace Joe for some games.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 05:18 PM)Sled21 Wrote: In his defense, look at the line he had. He had zero time to do anything. A backup is not going to succeed under those circumstances. 

True. Allen was going against a tough starting Browns Defense too. They got a very good DL and of course Garrett.

Even Burrow might struggle a bit against them even though I bet we would of won that game with Burrow of course.

(03-23-2022, 05:28 PM)Science Friction Wrote: With our new and improved line and our offensive weapons,  Andy would be pretty darn good in the event he had to replace Joe for some games.

Agree, Andy Dalton would be ideal. I just didn't know he was available. This would be the best team he has been on since '15.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 05:18 PM)Sled21 Wrote: In his defense, look at the line he had. He had zero time to do anything. A backup is not going to succeed under those circumstances. 

This is true.
Reply/Quote

Would be nice if we could get him for like 1 year 3.25 million with bonus for this and that.
Reply/Quote
I posted to improve this spot then read Burrow asked for them to bring back Allen. I guess Burrow liked having his point of view of stuff that it helped him so if we improve, we carry 3 QB. If Burrow wants him then he should be here for a few years anyway.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 03:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am for it then. Andy is a definite upgrade over Brandon Allen. I would think Andy would like to come back to Cincy as well.

why? the fans never liked him
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:15 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: If it comes down to money, the Bengals would have to easily throw $5+ to get a player significantly better than Allen.

Five dollars to get someone significantly better than Allen. I know people don't like Allen all that much, but that's just nasty.

Tongue
Reply/Quote