Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backup QB ?
(03-23-2022, 07:18 PM)Nepa Wrote: Five dollars to get someone significantly better than Allen. I know people don't like Allen all that much, but that's just nasty.

Tongue

It would be shameful to not drop 5 bucks. Now if we're talking $5 million.... 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:37 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I hope you're right if we do stick with Allen. Because having to throw the ball with him is very shaky.

I don't see many games on our schedule where Brandon Allen can just hand the ball off to Mixon, and we'd be ok. We're in trouble if Allen sees anything more than spot work.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Not nearly a fan of Allen as much as Zac.

But will say that behind that O-line it was not really fair litmus test for Allen.

Heck Burrow lost to the Browns by 25 and Allen only by 5 even if in a meaningless game.

Yet still and as Sled said he should be able to just hand the ball off mostly now and could be able to get us through a game or two if needed now.

But it would not bother me if a back up was drafted for competition in late rounds at least. Yet will trust Zac on this since he has been a master at placing the right players in positions to succeed here.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 07:08 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: why? the fans never liked him

True.  Andy wasn't an elite QB, but was a serviceable starter.  Enough so that he was in MVP consideration before he hurt his thumb.  He has enough talent to be one of the best to throw quick timing routes to avoid sacks and keep the offense decently moving.  He also was great on QB draws.  He'd definitely be an upgrade over what we got now.  I don't care about popularity, care more about talent.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 05:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True. Allen was going against a tough starting Browns Defense too. They got a very good DL and of course Garrett.

Even Burrow might struggle a bit against them even though I bet we would of won that game with Burrow of course.

Agree, Andy Dalton would be ideal. I just didn't know he was available. This would be the best team he has been on since '15.

Better than '15, imo, but I get your point 100%.

If Dalton was down with it, I'm sure we'd all feel way better with his experience than with Allen.

(03-23-2022, 05:44 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Would be nice if we could get him for like 1 year 3.25 million with bonus for this and that.

It would, but I don't think $5 is too bad when you consider it's only $3.5 more than Allen, and we'd be dumping him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 09:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Better than '15, imo, but I get your point 100%.

If Dalton was down with it, I'm sure we'd all feel way better with his experience than with Allen.

It would, but I don't think $5 is too bad when you consider it's only $3.5 more than Allen, and we'd be dumping him.

Wasn't thinking about dumping Allen's salary, true. And I'd feel like 5,000% better of our chances of winning a game or two.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 03:07 PM)Justin1462 Wrote: Am I the only person on this board that thinks we could benefit greatly from a pass catching back. Mixon catching passes flat footed in the flat last year for losses along with our lack of being able to execute any rbs screens with all our pressure problems last year made me cringe sometimes. Not high on Perrine as answer there. Rather spend money elsewhere, it’s a Burrow or bust for us as far as season goes imho.

Tell me you don't watch the games without telling me you don't watch the games...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Tiger
This is the part of the depth that I worry about because its not realistic to me not to draft a guy or bring in a proven veteran to back up our quarterback. I get that he beat Pittsburgh . I do. Ok!
Reply/Quote
He didn't; that was Finley.

Allen beat the Texans and would've beaten the 'boys if the rest of the team didn't let him down.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 07:08 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: why? the fans never liked him

What? I would say most liked him. He just wasn't the answer like Burrow who wins the big games.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 09:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Better than '15, imo, but I get your point 100%.

Pretty crazy how we have a better team than in 2015 when we also could of won the entire thing, that was a good squad.

I agree though, we are better now, great job by Zac, Lou and the rest of the coaches and the FO putting this thing together.

It is all a question if Andy was down with coming back. Might be a little emasculating I guess sitting behind the next great QB
on his old team that is now new but he is a very humble man, a great man. I think Andy would be down with coming back as 
it would be great for everybody at the right price. Andy is worth way more than Allen, as TLL said, Allen doesn't do much for us.

Maybe the talk in the AFCC when the Chiefs got the ball first in OT...

The entire team seems to like the guy. Allen I mean, but Dalton is also a very likable dude and just a better QB than Allen by a 
big amount.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 10:35 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Tell me you don't watch the games without telling me you don't watch the games...

Yeah, never seen Mixon catch the ball flat footed. 

He is a fantastic Receiver and when we used screens (seldom) to him he did very well.

Evans is also a fantastic Receiver out of the backfield. 

Wonder what RB he was talking about cause even Perine was a good pass catcher for us.

I just want a guy that shows up in the big game and Perine just didn't. Was sad, cause I liked the beard before that.
Reply/Quote
If Burrow goes down for an extended period of time, we might as well go get a top draft pick. That's why we have Jamarr Chase. If we had a good backup in 2020 we probably don't get him and we probably don't make our playoff push.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Last year yes, this year all Allen will have to do is give the ball to Mixon because our running game will be stronger. That may be why they didn't go more expensive.

Quite possibly, alluded to that in my post myself. It's one of those things, I guess on balance we should be giving Burrow all the tools to succeed, rather than spending money on his insurance policy. 
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 01:41 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Quite possibly, alluded to that in my post myself. It's one of those things, I guess on balance we should be giving Burrow all the tools to succeed, rather than spending money on his insurance policy. 

Good point. That is why I think we might be alright with what we have done. I understand trying to be prepared for the worst.

But fearing the worst is negative thinking, need to stay positive. Burrow didn't get hurt last year with a terrible OL, I think he 
has a much better chance of staying healthy with a greatly improved OL in front of him. It will cut down on the times he gets 
hit that is for sure. Anyone can get injured walking to their car in the morning. Still like the thought of bringing Andy back tho.
Reply/Quote

(03-23-2022, 10:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Pretty crazy how we have a better team than in 2015 when we also could of won the entire thing, that was a good squad.

If you just go player-by-player it would look pretty close, but QB is so much more important than any other position it is clear we have the better team now.

And this is coming from a big Dalton fan.
Reply/Quote
Andy would be awesome as a backup but if Joe likes Allen then that’s who it is.
Reply/Quote
I would not mind seeing them select Jack Coan if they could get him late like 6th or 7th round. I think he has a decent amount of talent to be an upper tier back up QB.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 10:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Pretty crazy how we have a better team than in 2015 when we also could of won the entire thing, that was a good squad.

I agree though, we are better now, great job by Zac, Lou and the rest of the coaches and the FO putting this thing together.

It is all a question if Andy was down with coming back. Might be a little emasculating I guess sitting behind the next great QB
on his old team that is now new but he is a very humble man, a great man. I think Andy would be down with coming back as 
it would be great for everybody at the right price. Andy is worth way more than Allen, as TLL said, Allen doesn't do much for us.

Maybe the talk in the AFCC when the Chiefs got the ball first in OT...

The entire team seems to like the guy. Allen I mean, but Dalton is also a very likable dude and just a better QB than Allen by a 
big amount.

Tbh it's pretty close on the overall talent. I just like the QB and RB better on this squad, and as crazy as it is sounds, I'd already say Chase is better than AJ Green. Higgins is better than MJ. Boyd is better than Sanu. They had us at TE. Everything on D is close.

Would be a fun matchup if we had a time machine, and I definitely believe that team could've won the Super Bowl if they had this coaching staff.

Dalton is older, worse, and at this point probably won't have any options where he'll have a chance to start. He could wait it out and see if something opens up with an injury, but that's risky.

Really this is all moot. Allen is the backup most likely. I don't have anything particular against the guy, just wish we could do a smidge better.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 11:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Tbh it's pretty close on the overall talent. I just like the QB and RB better on this squad, and as crazy as it is sounds, I'd already say Chase is better than AJ Green. Higgins is better than MJ. Boyd is better than Sanu. They had us at TE. Everything on D is close.

Would be a fun matchup if we had a time machine, and I definitely believe that team could've won the Super Bowl if they had this coaching staff.

Dalton is older, worse, and at this point probably won't have any options where he'll have a chance to start. He could wait it out and see if something opens up with an injury, but that's risky.

Really this is all moot. Allen is the backup most likely. I don't have anything particular against the guy, just wish we could do a smidge better.

Cannot disagree with anything you say here Shake. I think our Defense is younger and has a brighter future overall.

We are more disciplined by far. That team in 2015 had no discipline under Marv. Hence why we lost to the stool in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote